Page 728 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2286286787187267277287297307387788281228 ... LastLast
Results 21,811 to 21,840 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Hey Erin...(Ky's mom)...since you probably check here more than anywhere else..how long do I soak the chicken in buttermilk for that recipe you mentioned in the Zaxby's thread?

Sorry Kate, my work PC went down yesterday afternoon.

You just soak it for 5-10 minutes.

Erin

Lydia I like to be careful too about not advertising that we are going out of town.

Chrissy, OMG, I would be livid about the toilet. Seriously that should be priority beyond anything else.
    And I'm sorry about the truck....is it U-Haul? I had such an awful experience with them when we moved across state and not having a truck like promised....I had to fight with them to get my money back (they tried to charge us for canceling when it was their fault). I got lucky and Budget had a truck available and were so much nicer to work with.

And I'm really sorry to hear about the heat. It's been that hot by me and it's not fun. I can't imagine moving in it. Maybe you guys can do most of the unloading after dinner? It cools off somewhat at night.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Okay, finished back reading...

Myles sorry your boss is weird. It would upset me if I asked a question and couldn't get a response and especially if they were supposed to have trained me and didn't do a thorough enough job.

I also am not a twitter-er. No idea what a hastag was until it was explained. The sound of it brought "fag hag" to my mind which is something that my friend jokes about. He once said that a lady with a gay couple was their fag hag and explained to me what it was, basically Grace from Will & Grace, so I was like "I guess I'm your fag hag then. He assured me I am not but we joke about it now sometimes that I will go fag hag crazy on somebody who messes with him LOL.

And Chrissy, I would also be upset about the toilet. When we moved in our current house one of our toilets didn't work and I made to sure to fix it immediately and we have 3 bathrooms. There is nothing worse than no plumbing. We also didn't have hot water for a while until I figured out what was wrong with the hot water heater. It just needed a heating element. DH was content with us never having hot water and I am too cheap to pay a plumber or electrician something that I can MAYBE fix myself so I researched it and figured it out after trying a few different things. I am pretty good with toilets too. My DH can fix a lot of things, he is very handy but procrastinates so I don't like to wait on him to do anything for me. If it is something I do not feel comfortable fixing (most electricity/wiring problems) I will tell him that I am going to call someone to fix it and that will usually make him get off his ass and get it done.

Erin

The bright side of the uhaul delay is he has plenty of time to fix the toilet. I hope he can get right up there and get it. This is our second time using uhaul and our 2nd problem with them. I can't recommend them and will never use them again. Even if it means paying twice what they're asking to someone else. They're just not worth the hassle.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Dam* I just KNEW it was Uhaul. Even almost 5 years later, every time we see them, we comment about them and trash talk them.

This last move we did a year ago....we hired movers. Best thing we could have done. We brought over stuff ourselves for a week before and moved quite a bit. But anything big we saved for them. My parents were up helping with the truck but my dad has a pacemaker now and DH didn't want to get hurt like the time before when he pulled a groin muscle.....and I'm just kind of useless with moving since I'm not all that strong. God I hope to never have to move again but if we do, it will be a moving company coming over to do the moving....I'm good at packing though!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm too anal to let someone else do it. Rich is good about that stuff and I still have a hard time trusting him to do it 'right' (ie my way!)

No truck showed so shortly before noon I started calling around. I got helpful advice to call the toll free uhaul number so they could locate a truck for me, but when I called it they said they couldn't do that and transferred me to the office where our original rental was!!! Those people hung up on me and I didn't even get an opportunity to chew them out.

So I called Ithaca and the first Uhaul place up there happened to have a 24' truck so I took it. Rich is enroute right now to get it.

When we moved here we'd rented a 26' truck and had it reserved for over a month. When I went to pick it up some CEO or head-honcho at Uhaul called to 'ground' the truck on us. Meaning, they were sending someone else to pick it up even though WE'D had it reserved and those people didn't. The ladies in the office got hot and bothered about it and eventually just let us take it. I was on my phone calling Ryder (another truck rental company) and had found one in Binghamton so I'm sure that helped them decide. The head-honcho wanted us to use a 17' truck instead because we were "local"

Ugh. No more Uhaul. I've learned my lesson.

Ok so my story is that I had two weeks to move...I had taken a new job. So I called first thing and reserved a truck. We were in Milwaukee so plenty of options. And it was not college moving season. So the day before, they suddenly "didn't have any locally". So I was like, ok what about my hometown since my parents were upcoming up to Milwaukee anyway or even northern IL. Nothing. Oh but they could get us one in Fond du Lac...two hours north of me. So they wanted my dad to drive 2 hours north, 2 hours back do Milwaukee....and on top of that the drive was 5 hours to get to the new city. Um NO. I called around, locally a Budget truck the same size was available, we got it, we moved. Cancelled the UHaul and they charged my credit card I think $75 for not giving them 24 hour notice. Hell NO. I called them and said I didn't cancel because of me, it was because THEY didn't have a truck for me. I got bounced around and got nowhere so I started got my credit card company involved. Took a few months but I eventually won.
    Budget was so much nicer in person and on the phone....and that was before the Uhaul issues that they weren't that nice on the phone.

As far as movers....anything really delicate like artwork we did move ourselves. We left them things like the couch, entertainment center, the big TV (not a flatscreen so heavy and akward) my bedroom furniture (which was on a second floor at the old place and was solid wood...and the armoire is one giant piece)....things were insured and we watched them load the truck and were there when they unloaded. We just didn't have a lot of help since we don't have brothers and my dad just is just not as young as he used to be.

Uhaul sucks!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

So sorry about the Uhaul issues! I'll make a mental note not to rent from them. That's crazy.

Lydia, we missed you!

I'm back from the gynecologist. I can't quite make up my mind whether that was a totally wasted appointment or whether it was helpful. She didn't examine me, no bloodwork or anything. I'm not pregnant, I got my period yesterday afternoon. She asked how long we'd been TTC and I told her and she asked if I had regular cycles, which I do for the most part. She immediately said it must be a sperm issue with DH and he should have that tested because, she said, 40% of infertility is caused by sperm issues and 40% is caused by not ovulating and if I have a period every month, I ovulate. I do think I ovulate, but she seemed awfully certain of that and that it was DH's problem. I had written in my paperwork that I have a clotting disorder and she was completely unaware of it until I managed to get a word in edgewise to tell her that. I mean, literally there was a stream of talking for several minutes of her telling me it was DH's problem until I could explain myself. Then she immediately said I needed to see an RE (which I knew, but don't know if I have insurance coverage for). The one thing that made me like her is that she is the first doctor who has agreed with me that I am likely having repeated early losses. Every other doctor just tells me I'm crazy and it's really common to have a chemical. So I do like her ... I think. But basically she told me to go to the RE and come back when I was pregnant. Oh, and I should schedule an annual sometime, too.

She also said the RE might want to put me on prednisone (sp?). I haven't heard of that. Ironically, my dog was at the vet this morning to get a re-check for his ear infection and the vet prescribed him prednisone because apparently there is a polyp in his ear. DH said I could take some of Nero's. I understand prednisone causes weight gain - MIL's dachshund was on it and gained so much weight his belly touched the floor when walking. I would think that would not be healthy when TTC... I'm not really sure I want Nero to take that if it's just for a polyp, to be honest.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-21-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

My cousin took that prednisone for her clotting disorder and ballooned up like 50 lbs of weight gain. She was on a pretty high dose though. I hope you get some results soon!

Yeah, that doesn't sound good for TTC.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!

OK. I just needed to get that out. I'll fill you guys in later. Just having a bad morning.

Hugs Mandy and Myles

Erin...I already started soaking the chicken a few minutes ago because some recipes I looked at said I can do it up to overnight...well it'll be 2.5-3 hours...it'll be okay right? Or should I take it out?

I've never done anything with buttermilk except pancakes

It should be okay. The chicken will just be extra moist. Buttermilk makes all poultry moist.

Erin

Ok, thanks

Mandy I am SO sorry AF showed An RE is probably going to want DH to get a SA. I am not sure the course of action for a blood cotting disorder relative to TTC. I know I read about it at one point and time, but for the life of me can't recall what it was. If your gynecologist is willing to write you a referral to an RE and you find a good RE who is willing to code things correctly than your insurance might cover testing even if it doesn't cover infertility.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Prednisone is a good drug when used correctly but I think that usually it is for reducing inflammation. I know I was on it a while in high school for asthma.

I would say that gyn is right in that half the time it is the man and half the time the woman. And sometimes both. We had DH tested first thing because it's really such an easy and inexpensive test. he came out fine. And we do know for sure that I ovulate. We tested all the hormones and those were ok too. And it's been four years of trying. Well I'm done trying though at this point. I did not have an HSG so there might be a blockage though I have had an STD, PID, or any kind of infection so my risk would be low for that. Insurance does not cover IF so didn't see a point in an HSG and spending the money when we knew that IVF and even IUI was not right for us.
    You said that there is a clotting disorder, right? Have you ever tried a daily baby aspirin?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Sorry, guys. I don't want to make a big deal about me. It just seems like I've been sleeping more and still feeling more tired than usual. I have a hard time finding time to exercise right now (and I feel really weird when I don't get out and do something). I've tried to take Bodhi out to the beach for a walk, and he's still not much of a walker. 2 times this week, he preferred to dawdle or jump off a log over and over again. Or worse still, he fixates on something back in the car and tries to steer me back there the whole time. I only get to spend a couple hours with him each night, so I don't want to force him to go where I want to go, but it's very frustrating.

Last night, he took a swat at me when he was almost asleep. When I asked him not to do that, he deliberately hit me again. So I got up from out of bed with him and left for awhile. He started freaking out and crying "Da da! Da da!" So DH went in and put him to sleep and I didn't get to say good night to him. B woke up in a really feisty, demanding mood this morning. As I was leaving, he clung to my leg and said "You don't want to go to work. You want to stay with me. I don't want to go to school." I just felt tired and sad that he was saying all those things, so I started crying.

DH came out and saw me and said "What's wrong"? I explained to him why I was sad, and instead of being soothing to me or B, he scolded B: "You made mommy cry!". Which was absolutely the wrong thing to say to him at that time, totally insensitive to what B was feeling. So I had to just put on a cheery face and tell B how much fun he was going to have at school today and how I was going to come home and play in the sand with him after I got back. It was just so hard to go off to work this morning. I think DH's reaction was a defensive one because he feels the responsibility that I have to go to work.

I didn't want DH to feel that way. Last week, he got a big movie studio client that has lots of work for him and didn't blink at all over how much he charges. And that's really good for us. So I def didn't want to make him feel bad about his contribution to the family. Maybe I shouldn't have cried this morning if it was going to make DH feel like a finger was pointed at him, but I was just sad to see Bode having a hard time with me leaving this morning.

Thanks for listening.

Mandy, I'm sorry to hear that your MD appt. was discouraging. It's great that she listened to you about the early losses, but hopefully she'll get better about making discussions more back and forth for the two of you. Are you going to pursue the question about your DH's sperm as well since she brought it up?

Lydia, welcome back. I was wondering about where you'd gone off to. Hope it was gorgeous there. My DH has never been and I'm dying to take him to Snake River country.

I also want to add that we are also NEVER EVER NEVER EVER going to use Uhaul ever again. Not only did they give our reservation away to someone else, they most likely lied about why, and another time, DH was helping a friend do a long distance move and the truck broke down 150 miles out of town. They are the worst company ever.

OK. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. Now I want to find some yummy chicken...

Sorry Myles It sounds very trying. Dh feels that way too, that he spends only a couple hours a day with Josh so he tries to steer Josh towards what DH wants to do, and it just doesn't work that way.

I agree your DH's reaction was probably defensive.

We haven't had a problem with uhaul to my recollection. We have never hired movers. Something about other people packing or moving my stuff...I don't want that.

I had a tiring day...I took Josh to his swim lesson which didn't go great, but not terrible either I guess. Before we went, DH called and we planned to meet at Panera after the lesson for lunch. Well after the lesson I realized I didn't have my cell phone so I went all the way home to pick it up in case DH needed to call me, and then all the way back out in the opposite direction to Panera. When I got there DH wasn't there. So I called him...turned out he was at a different Panera in the same town! And we'd wasted so much of his lunch break already we didn't have time to meet but he's getting out early today so he should be home in the next couple hours.

Hey lovely ladies. I'm here, just quiet, but keeping up with y'all. I'm at sort of crossroads (not relationship related, fyi) and doing some serious thinking. I'm just feeling like I really need to look inward on this one and figure things out for myself.
    to y'all.

I do not look forward at all to having to leave the baby at home and go to work. I like work a lot and even now I don't really like leaving the house in the morning and would rather be at home with DH and Cosmo.

Kate, I'm sorry about the lunch meeting confusion!

Bridget....I hope that you get things figured out. It's always hard to be at a crossroads.

I'm actually having a great day. I have this friend that I love like a sister...we have known each other since we were 15 and she calls my parents mum and dad. One problem though....she lives in France. It's been months and months since we last talked though she has sent pictures of her little boy. Anyway, we were both on FB today and chatted for like an hour and on Saturday she is either calling me or we are going to skype. Chatting with her totally made my day and I really missed talking to her.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Hugs, Bridget!

Hugs, Myles. I've been having a rough time with Travis lately, too, and my patience has been worn thin. But tomorrow is a new day and i'm determined to get through this with everyone smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Mandy I am SO sorry AF showed An RE is probably going to want DH to get a SA. I am not sure the course of action for a blood cotting disorder relative to TTC. I know I read about it at one point and time, but for the life of me can't recall what it was. If your gynecologist is willing to write you a referral to an RE and you find a good RE who is willing to code things correctly than your insurance might cover testing even if it doesn't cover infertility.
    From what I understand, it's usually blood thinners.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Prednisone is a good drug when used correctly but I think that usually it is for reducing inflammation. I know I was on it a while in high school for asthma.

I would say that gyn is right in that half the time it is the man and half the time the woman. And sometimes both. We had DH tested first thing because it's really such an easy and inexpensive test. he came out fine. And we do know for sure that I ovulate. We tested all the hormones and those were ok too. And it's been four years of trying. Well I'm done trying though at this point. I did not have an HSG so there might be a blockage though I have had an STD, PID, or any kind of infection so my risk would be low for that. Insurance does not cover IF so didn't see a point in an HSG and spending the money when we knew that IVF and even IUI was not right for us.
    You said that there is a clotting disorder, right? Have you ever tried a daily baby aspirin?
    Jennifer. I hope my bringing this up doesn't raise emotions for you, but I really need my venting outlet here. Sorry if it does.

I don't know what my insurance does and does not cover as far as IF goes. I've really been hoping I wasn't going to have to go down that road but either way, IF or adoption, it's going to be expensive so I'm just going to have to figure things out.

I have not tried baby aspirin. After my cousin died, my aunt and uncle were put on a course of B vitamins and folic acid. Their doctor did testing to check their levels of something called homocysteine (which helps the blood clot) and then prescribed the B vitamins to keep the homocysteine levels to where they should be. My parents heard that's what they were taking and then started their own B vitamin regimen and added a low dose baby aspirin, and also gave everyone in the family bottles of B vitamins etc. for Christmas that year - well intentioned but slightly overboard which is how my parents are about everything. They never had their levels checked, which is what indicates the need for regulating it and so they don't know whether they were high or not. At this point their doctor told them not to stop because he doesn't want the levels to go up. But at the same time they were self-medicating for something that they didn't even know was a problem (presence of MTHFR gene does not necessarily mean homocysteine is elevated) and pushing all of it on me, I was in school and remember learning that extended use of low-dose aspirin can cause hearing loss (among many other things) and just didn't want to take any meds long term unless they were medically necessary. Of course, my aversion to doctors means I haven't had my levels checked, either. I try to remember take my B vitamins but I'm not consistent.

The doctor did recommend that I be consistent with that and add a low-dose aspirin, which does seem like a good idea at this point so I will.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Thanks for listening.

Mandy, I'm sorry to hear that your MD appt. was discouraging. It's great that she listened to you about the early losses, but hopefully she'll get better about making discussions more back and forth for the two of you. Are you going to pursue the question about your DH's sperm as well since she brought it up?
    about Bodhi. It's just a hard situation all around. Congrats to your DH for a great client, though!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Hey lovely ladies. I'm here, just quiet, but keeping up with y'all. I'm at sort of crossroads (not relationship related, fyi) and doing some serious thinking. I'm just feeling like I really need to look inward on this one and figure things out for myself.
    to y'all.
    I hope everything is okay! Wishing you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I do not look forward at all to having to leave the baby at home and go to work. I like work a lot and even now I don't really like leaving the house in the morning and would rather be at home with DH and Cosmo.
    Tell me about it. I adore my job, but I really don't like to go to work. Love it when I'm there, though.

I realized that my new position was the job for me when I realized I actually MISS work this summer!

In the meantime, DH and I went out to lunch at this Chinese buffet. We haven't been there in years but used to go there all the time. We were talking about the doctor and him getting his SA (which he keeps saying he will do but just won't schedule an appointment). I was just saying "I'm not sure how I feel about this doctor, but I think I like her. I opened my fortune cookie and it said, "Do not trust your first impression." Then DH's fortune cookie said "Do not think, act." Which is hilarious! What's even funnier is, just before we got engaged I had a fortune cookie that predicted that and I also had something that spoke strongly to me about graduating with my master's. Just bizarre! And both of those were at this same restaurant. I've never had any "relevant" fortune cookie at any other restaurant.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-21-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    In the meantime, DH and I went out to lunch at this Chinese buffet. We haven't been there in years but used to go there all the time. We were talking about the doctor and him getting his SA (which he keeps saying he will do but just won't schedule an appointment). I was just saying "I'm not sure how I feel about this doctor, but I think I like her. I opened my fortune cookie and it said, "Do not trust your first impression." Then DH's fortune cookie said "Do not think, act." Which is hilarious! What's even funnier is, just before we got engaged I had a fortune cookie that predicted that and I also had something that spoke strongly to me about graduating with my master's. Just bizarre! And both of those were at this same restaurant. I've never had any "relevant" fortune cookie at any other restaurant.
    That IS hilarious!!! Believe the fortune cookies LOL!

Hopefully your insurance will cover the RE if you go that route. You can always call them with the type of plan you are on and ask them without giving your name. I do that a lot about medical things. I love our insurance company though so far.

And I am another who will not use UHaul as well. I went to them around 3 times and they did not honor my reservation. Luckily DH has an old full size pickup now so whenever we move we use that. It takes about 3-4 trips but we don't have to pay a rental fee and we can move whenever we want.

So sorry about your rough morning Myles. I remember crying before work when I was employed at a large bank when Ky was around B's age. He used to tell me "Mommy, I don't want you to go to work. I want you to stay home with meeeeeee!" and make his huge puppy dog eyes look so sad and I would tear up. At that time I had to work and told him I had to work to buy food and clothes and pay our rent and he would say "I won't eat so much mommy and I don't like wearing clothes anyway. I can wear underoos." LOL, so I would laugh but I'd still be sad and I cried every day before going into that job. But I hated that job and was so relieved when I got laid off.

Erin

Oh no, don't worry about me. I didn't mean to come off that way. I was recalling what I had remembered the clinic saying and it was pretty similar to what you heard. Though I didn't go in with a history of blood clotting issues. I really sympathize....going through the doc sucked. It was horribly stressful, clomid for me was painful (tried it because it was cheap to just see if it would help)....after just three months I said forget it. It was annoying to have ultrasounds every two weeks and leave work...even though the clinic was where I work, it was still an hour or so away. Blech. it took a while but I'm really at peace with having a child through adoption and would kind of be disappointed in a way to turn up pg now. I mean I would be happy but I'm mentally geared up for adoption and have my amazon list of adoption books for the baby and am excited about the idea of not knowing what I would get. I could get an athlete for example...something that I would not really expect from a bio kid of ours though anything is possible.
    I'm in a good place emotionally now and this just feels right....in a way that going further with medical intervention did not....especially once we tried the really easy stuff first. I REALLY hope that something as simple as a baby aspirin does the trick for you!

as for testing DH. I basically did everything...he never set foot in the office. I bought home the cup and directions...gave it to him and once he was done, I put the sample in my waist band of my pants (you have to keep it warm so next to the skin is what they said) and brought it directly to work (course I stopped off at the lab before heading to the library! LOL).
    I am suprised that I got DH in for the physical since the adoption agency required a pretty extensive one. But again I made the appointments for us and we went together.

So I was eating at the Chinese buffet with DH for the first time 13 years ago...and my cookie said "Stop searching forever. Happiness is right beside you". And he was literally sitting next to me. I still carry the slip in my purse.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Dude what is UP with Uhaul???? I think that pretty much everyone that has used them has bad things to say and says never again. and here I thought that we were just a fluke and special. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

So I have learned two things from this thread today: Never use Uhaul, and fortune cookies are the true source of all psychic power!

I looked through my insurance policy and basically it covers nothing for fertility.

Here is what it covers:
    25. Infertility. Benefits include only those infertility services provided to a participant: a) by a physician to diagnose infertility; and b) to surgically treat the underlying medical cause of infertility.
    And here is what it specifically excludes:
    Infertility. A charge for infertility medication.
    Infertility. Care, supplies, services and treatment for infertility, artificial insemination, or in vitro fertilization. Any Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) procedure including associated services and supplies. Charges for services related to surrogate pregnancy.
    So I'm left wondering if there's even a point in seeing the RE. I don't need a diagnosis of infertility, and I highly doubt I need surgery. I am covered (I think) through Tricare for the next 30 days and they do cover some medical treatments (not IVF or anything) but there's no way I could even get an appointment scheduled in time to use Tricare. Plus I don't even have a card through them or anything.

I don't think this can just be the MTHFR, though. It doesn't make sense. I know it is associated with failure to implant, but my mother, my aunt, my sister, and my cousin all have the exact same condition (my aunt actually has a second clotting factor as well). My mother and aunt each had three children (four pregnancies for my mom with a m/c at 6 months), and my sister and cousin have each had two children. None of them struggled to get pregnant at any time and my cousin actually got pregnant both times while using birth control. My cousin is also the only one who knew about the MTHFR before/during pregnancy. My mother told me I was the only pregnancy she TTC'd, and my sister got pregnant with her first on her first month of trying and her second after 3-6 months. My aunt's children were all exactly 2.5 years apart. I just feel there has to be something else at work here for me to be the only affected by it in my family.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-21-2011 at 04:05 PM.

I just wanted to tell Erin the chicken came out great. It wasn't quite like Zaxby's, the batter was much thinner. Maybe I should make more layers of flour and water?