Page 723 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2236236737137217227237247257337738231223 ... LastLast
Results 21,661 to 21,690 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

How about a favorite book character?

And GO Josh!!!!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

She missed her own Bday cake

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Myles, I think you're the one I need to ask to come up with a name for the fake rock band I created for the story I'm writing. I need something catchy.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Yeah, this!

Oh, and go Josh for the swim lesson! Kate, I feel justified in saying he just needed extra practice before he felt confident.

I really think it was the motivation of chicken nuggets for lunch LOL
    I mean we didn't go yesterday and it was such a huge difference between Tuesday's lesson and today. He wants to go to free swim tomorrow though, so I'm going to jump all over that.

Sometimes with kids it's just a sudden big change. I've actually seen that often in therapy with a new skill. But sometimes it takes the chicken nuggets (well, motivation) to get them to that place.

I haven't had chicken nuggets in forever...now I have a taste for them. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Heh...don't do it! You probably remember them tasting better than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Sometimes with kids it's just a sudden big change. I've actually seen that often in therapy with a new skill. But sometimes it takes the chicken nuggets (well, motivation) to get them to that place.

ITA. Elle has really come out of her shell lately. She actually let water get in her face. She speaks to people now instead of looking at them like they are crazy. And most of all, she also has started loving to go swimming as well. She asks to go everyday now and I don't know what got in her. We went to a waterpark about a week ago for our family reunion and she just all the sudden got inspired I guess by all the water fun stuff. She even went down a little kiddie water slide about 10 times per day for the weekend we were there.

Erin

Woo hoo on a good swim day!!!!

Myles, when you had it out at the restaurant, was it like in front of everyone? Just curious....I remember one time arguing with my dh at a gas station in front of everyone and whenever I think about it I get embarrassed. I always wonder if anyone else ever does that, or if I'm some kind of crazy shrew of a wife.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

DH and I don't usually argue in public but we've had our moments.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Woo hoo on a good swim day!!!!

Myles, when you had it out at the restaurant, was it like in front of everyone? Just curious....I remember one time arguing with my dh at a gas station in front of everyone and whenever I think about it I get embarrassed. I always wonder if anyone else ever does that, or if I'm some kind of crazy shrew of a wife.

We yelled at each other for about 30 seconds while we were on the street still approaching the restaurant. And it was on maybe the most touristy corner in San Francisco, with at least a dozen buses & trolleys going by and hundreds of other cars. So I don't think anybody noticed.

I did yell at my dad publicly on Sunday though. I feel embarassed about that. I meant to share that with you girls, but then this crazy week started. Basically, my dad gets really hung up on directions and that we have to go a certain way. I was letting Bodhi walk himself back to the car, which was really stressful to me. I'd looked up directions back to our car on a map, and we were where the roads were really squiggly. So my dad did his usual thing where I was leading us, and he called out, "Why can't we go this way?" and I told him I didn't know if that was the way. And he scowled and kept walking in the direction he wanted to go. So I got pretty shrill with him about the fact that I'd already looked up the route on a map. People who passed us could probably tell I was losing it at that moment.

I felt bad, and it took every last ounce of sucking it up to apologize to him the next morning, since dad WAS being his usual stubborn self. DH told me it was going to bug me if I didn't apologize. I felt like I needed to be the bigger person because my dad isn't all "there" anymore. And I felt immediately better after I apologized, so I guess DH was right. The worst part is that my dad gave me a very non-sequitur, senile-sounding answer when I did say sorry.

Mandy, I'd be happy to offer some band names if you tell us a little about the fictional band in your story. But I'm afraid my names are going to be really corny...

I know. I know. It's very typical of her, and sooooo frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    DH and I don't usually argue in public but we've had our moments.
    Well we don't usually either but there was that one time....

I'm off work tomorrow. I have to register Conner for pre-K and start packing. I'm not looking forward to it but it needs to be done.

Good luck with the registration Chrissy!

Mandy...I have to apologize AGAIN for not reading your story yet. What's it been, a year? Truth is I don't finish 90% of the things I start (not just books either lol)

Myles I'm sorry about the tiff with your father and the odd response

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mylah, all of your name suggestions are quite clever, but I think I'm going to stick with 3andMe because for some reason I don't like the nickname Lyds, and I'm trying to get away from anything to do with my name. All of the Filipinos at work shorten my name to Lyds and I don't like it.
    Dh and I can have a fight in the same room as other people, and nobody will have any idea. We're pretty good at being able to tell what the other person is thinking with just a glance, though, because we've known each other for so long, and we're so similar in so many ways. We mostly use it for good, though, and not evil. We've never had a public fight with spoken words or gestures. We also tend to have our bigger disagreements about things at or around the house, so it's not as likely to occur in public anyway.
    I was going to say something else here, and I forgot.
    My favorite nickname ever was given to me in high school by my best guy friend, who used to call me the hallucinogenic mystery queen. It's not easy to use in conversation, though, and probably not appropriate at this stage in life. In fact, it's a little awkward when he still calls me that at gatherings.

LOL Lydia! Love the nickname.

Josh changed his mind and doesn't want to go to the pool today. We're off to the gym in a little bit.

Awesome nickname!!

I'm afraid I might be classified as a yeller when I'm seriously furious about something. When I caught Rich smoking shortly after Conner was born I snapped. I jumped out of my car and shrieked, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!" Yep, perfect shrew. I look back and I don't even recognize myself but I know I did it.

The flip side--it took us back emotionally to our late teens/early 20's years and we had the wildest make-up sex ever.

I have argued in public with my DH on more than one occasion. Usually he always starts them and I think he figures one day I will get embarrassed or something, but I am not easily embarrassed and if you say or do something very stupid, I will call you on it and I can get loud when I want to. Once we argued in front of the house about something I can't remember, but no one was out. DH also used to bring up our personal little quips in front of people, I felt in an attempt to embarrass me but instead he usually ends up embarrassed and then wants to argue later on.

I don't get loud anymore (usually that only occurs when I am/was PG as I get very short patience when PG since I get very ill and just feel like sh!t). I just calmly state my point. DH will get an intense, bug eyed look and raise his voice a bit and attempt to make someone (as I am not the only person he likes to argue with, he will argue with anyone) look like an idiot, but with me he usually ends up the idiot so he rarely does that anymore. It's been a couple years now.

Erin

DH and I don't argue; we just do the silent treatment to each other. We're very passive aggressive. Actually, we don't "bicker" that much at all really, it's just not in our personalities. We're both just like 'whatever' about most stuff. People tell us that we're too laid back. It's just how we are.

Ugh, I have to rant about my SIL. Tonight was a school festival for the daycare that our kids go to and we all met up there and the kids played and all that. Then Travis wanted to go home and was getting whiney, so I said goodbye to my MIL and FIL but didn't see my SIL or her kids to say bye. I didn't think it was a big deal; I just wanted to get Travis home because I knew he was tired. Then, DH shows me a text he got about half an hour after we left from SIL saying "I can't believe you didn't day goodbye before you left." She is such a drama queen sometimes. She's lucky I am so laid back or I would send her a text back saying "WTFBBQ!"
    Last edited by AmeriBrit; 07-15-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: grammar!

Ash you crack me up

I give DH the "look" if were in public and he peeves me off. We can have an "argument" in front of people and no one even notices. We just have our way of doing things that seem like nothing more than a discussion.

I don't yell, I used too. I have done ALOT of changes over the past few years to my persona and that was one of them. I was raised in a household with a serious amount of arguing. It included yelling, screaming, cussing, throwing things - I don't want to raise Nolan in a household like that.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I can't remember the last time Rich & I disagreed out in public. It was probably that time at the gas station. We disagree about things at home but when we're out together we leave all that behind us.

I got some packing done today and may just finish up the majority of it before the night is over.

Ugh, ugh, ugh, my father drives my crazy sometimes. His latest thing is this anti-facebook obsession where he has decided it is the most evil thing ever and anyone with a facebook account is immediately doomed. I have explained multiple, multiple times that facebook only has the information you choose to give it and if you don't provide certain information (such as your name, address, telephone number, etc) nobody can steal that information because it isn't there to steal. Plenty of people use fake names, etc.

He has replied with a semi-regular stream of news articles about people who've had their security compromised by facebook. Today it was an article from his ISP about things you shouldn't post on facebook. Something I've mentioned to him numerous times. He wrote in his email "This is a really neat article from my ISP." Sent it to everyone in his immediate family who has a facebook account.

Okay, the information was helpful for those who don't know it (I clearly do as I've TOLD HIM many of the things in the article). It wasn't in anyway "neat" or "interesting" - it was a preachy line item list of do's and don'ts. Where he got the word "neat" to describe it is beyond me. He does that with other stuff, too ... he'll call an article about some crime that's been committed "cute." I just really don't understand him sometimes.

I really feel like replying by saying "please remove me from your anti-Facebook email campaign" but I suppose that would be rude.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-15-2011 at 03:02 PM.

I don't yell, I used too. I have done ALOT of changes over the past few years to my persona and that was one of them. I was raised in a household with a serious amount of arguing. It included yelling, screaming, cussing, throwing things - I don't want to raise Nolan in a household like that.
    That's how it was for me growing up, too; my parents have chilled in their old age. I wish they were how they are now back then, but such is life.

I got some packing done today and may just finish up the majority of it before the night is over.
    I feel ya on that whole packing to move thing; I hope we never have to move again...it's such a drag, isn't it! We've lived here nearly a year now and are still unboxing some stuff.

I really feel like replying by saying "please remove me from your anti-Facebook email campaign" but I suppose that would be rude.
    I've tried that route before with asking people to take me off their chain mails and they truly do get offended...probably just best to hit delete and let it roll off ya like water off a duck's back!

I tried emailing my chain-mailers and asked them nicely to stop forwarding me them when I started college. I explained that I was far too busy to read them. It worked for some, but the majority of them simply forward to everyone in their address book indiscriminately.

Maybe I won't get my packing done tonight. I stopped to eat and Tim & Rich told me some stuff about my back yard/pond owner situation that got me worked up. I even called him but he was working and didn't have time to talk. I did say, "I hope you're not expecting me to pay for the damage your pond did" and he said no, but he kept talking about $1500 for fuel and materials. I cannot get sidetracked with that now, I need to get moved. I told him I'd talk to him next week. He's having a wet dream if he thinks I'm giving him **** for the damage his pond caused.

He may just be hoping if he mentions the amount enough, you'll feel bad and pay or split the expenses. Too bad for him. His damage, he pays.

Gwenn's right about your neighbor, of course. I have no idea why he keeps bringing up the cost of stuff. It almost seems finger pointey. Some people can't seem to see their hardships as their own fault. When things are rough, they look for people to blame, or some external reason to transfer their resentments onto them. A yoga teacher I had once pointed out that whenever he was in a really tough pose, that's when he found himself looking around the room criticizing other people's yoga. Maybe it's human nature to be that way when the pressure's on us. I know the second I can't find something in the house when I REALLY need it, the first thought in my head is that DH picked it up and moved it off somewhere else, the big jerk!

And Chrissy, let me see if I have this right: the last time you yelled at Rich was in a gas station, and the reason you yelled at him was because he was smoking. So does that mean he was smoking in a gas station? If so, then bless you. LOL. I have yelled at complete strangers for smoking in gas stations. Didn't everybody see Zoolander?

Gwenn, your father does sound like he's taking the privacy threat of FB a little too seriously. I'd get really fed up too if someone kept treating me like I was this DUPE for having a Facebook account. I believe there's a grain of truth to what he suggests in that FB is pretty aggressive about exposing some level of everyone's information who is on their site, and it definitely isn't their reflex to protect your privacy. But Google is just as egregious. I know I've only been at my new job for 4.5 days now, but with my first 2 new projects that involve Google & eBay, I've already seen how valuable user information is to these companies. So yeah, your dad has somewhat of a point, but I don't think FB is being insidious, unless one considers trying to make a buck inherently evil.

Also, Gwenn, when is your birthday? I noticed we're the same age (I "turn" in September), and I've already started rounding up my age in my head.

AmeriAsh, I can't believe your SIL couldn't understand how it is with kids. I guess it doesn't hurt to say sorry in that situation, but geez, I hope she's not genuinely mad.

The last chain e-mail that I got really fired up about was this anti-Muslim propaganda claptrap that an ex-boyfriend of all people sent me. It contained photos supposedly of some Pakistani boy getting his arm run over by a truck as punishment for thievery, and how this somehow translated into the fact that all Muslims are evil. I know the guy came from a very strict Catholic family, and that was actually one of the reasons he had issues with me as a girlfriend. So I did a Reply to All with a very well-reasoned response about how a) a savage local custom does not implicate a whole religion around the world and b) it was a hoax anyway, and I produced the link on Snopes.com. Amazingly, I'm still friends with the guy, but he didn't speak to me for a good year after that.

christina, I'm just curious, what brought about the change? Was it anything in particular (besides motherhood)? And did you use any particular techniques to control your responses? I think it's very admirable in any case.

Lydia, no worries about not using my goofy suggestions. I was just having fun. But I'm sorry to have called you Lyds in the past. Now I'm just a voice in an annoying chorus.

Well, have a good weekend all if I don't chat til Monday! xoxo
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-15-2011 at 05:35 PM.

LOL Myles I love the Zoolander reference.

He may just be hoping if he mentions the amount enough, you'll feel bad and pay or split the expenses. Too bad for him. His damage, he pays.
    No, he mentioned it in the context that I would have to pay it. That's when I said, "I hope you're not expecting me to pay for what your pond did to my yard." He said no, but then said that he was stuck in a 10 foot hole working and had to go. He said at one point I'd only have to pay for the fuel, but then mentioned additional dirt to fill things in and that the two together would be 1500. I took it that he's only offering his 'time' and use of his excavating equipment for 'free'.

But like I said I have far too much going on right now so I'm not even going to worry about it. If I have to I'll get estimates from someone else and then take him to court for that amount and whatever I have to shell out for a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Also, Gwenn, when is your birthday? I noticed we're the same age (I "turn" in September), and I've already started rounding up my age in my head.
    I'm September, too! The 17th.

That reminds me, I still haven't changed DH's age yet on my siggy. His birthday was February.

No, he mentioned it in the context that I would have to pay it. That's when I said, "I hope you're not expecting me to pay for what your pond did to my yard." He said no, but then said that he was stuck in a 10 foot hole working and had to go. He said at one point I'd only have to pay for the fuel, but then mentioned additional dirt to fill things in and that the two together would be 1500. I took it that he's only offering his 'time' and use of his excavating equipment for 'free'.

But like I said I have far too much going on right now so I'm not even going to worry about it. If I have to I'll get estimates from someone else and then take him to court for that amount and whatever I have to shell out for a lawyer.
    If it comes to that, that's what you should do. And easier to win that one in court than if he did the work for "free."