Page 712 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2126126627027107117127137147227628121212 ... LastLast
Results 21,331 to 21,360 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Josh doesn't respond to timeouts either. If we send him to his room he gets all upset for a couple minutes and then we hear him playing up there. We send him up for 4-5 minutes, per the rule of 1 minute per year, since he's 4 and a half we're trying to eke it up to 5 minutes but it really doesn't do anything except give DH and me a breather for a minute and make Josh forget what he was upset about to begin with, which I can't decide if that's good or bad.

Kate, what would happen if timeouts were not in his room? Like when I was little, we had to stand in the corner, facing the walls. That was NOT a fun timeout! Or on Super Nanny, I have seen them use timeout mats or timeout stools.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah, I might have to try that.

I'm terrible with buying him things...I like to make him happy and reward good behavior so we end up buying something small or letting him pick out snacks at the grocery store and I think now he kind of expects it and is surprised when I won't buy him something at every store we go to. I set limits like if I just bought him something at Target I can't buy him something at the mall on the same day and he's always very upset by that. He sees me buying things DH and I need and I think he's confused as to why he can't get something all the time too.

I think I really need to cut down and work on the money reward for helping out and being good and once a week going to buy something, or something like that. He's so cute, he actually offers to empty and fill the dishwasher now and we give him a quarter for that.

We saved up for a inflated sword at Chuck E Cheese and the next day it was popped already. Spent 200 tickets on that thing

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    The doctors say it was an ovarian cyst. She's much better today, and that's good. We're off to go surfing and she'll join us later with the baby. She has to stay longer than planned because a family member passed away, so I feel extra guilty about being irritated.

Ouchie! I don't know that I have had one but do know that the three months we tried clomid (I was getting a couple of very large follicles a cycle)....and OMG I thought I was dying for a couple of days. I couldn't hardly sit but couldn't hardly stand and even called in sick to work.

Chrissy...that is kind of cute that you can be a handful. My DH will sometimes call me a PITA (he says pita...not pain in the a$$)....but when he does it, I know that I'm being difficult.

Erin, I too feel so badly for your little nephew. I hope that you can get him reading and I don't get why they are not testing him much sooner.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh Ash I'm sorry. You're right, you're too young to have that kind of thing going on. I wonder if there are natural remedies that help with arthritis?

I've been having pain in my left big toe that's been significant enough to make my eyes kinda tingle when I press the clutch on my car. I hate it. I'm not sure if it's from running or if it's a spur or what. I keep meaning to have it looked at but with all the kids needing me to take them to the drs I really don't have time to use my sick days for myself.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ashley, have you seen a doctor for the arthritis? Did they do xrays and bloodwork? Did they say if it was rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm back at work after a long weekend. We actually got the portfolio finished except the cover!!!! I'm really pretty happy with the two books and just need to get over to Kinkos and make a color copy for myself. The cover should be pretty easy just have to decide which picture of us and cut out our names.
    Sunday it was cool enough that we got to chill out in the hot tub for a little while and we had pizza turnovers from our favorite place back home....soooo good. Where I live now doesn't have much of an Italian population and it shows in the restaurants.....best place here is Olive Garden.
    Yesterday we drove back home....and thankfully traffic was good because we were heading in the right direction. Usually people go up north for the holiday and we went south..and so coming home when we were going north, everyone was heading back south again (we get a lot of people coming up into WI in the summer from IL because other than Chicago, IL is not as nice nature wise as WI).

And my garden is looking good! I was worried about leaving it for a few days as it's been really hot and didn't rain.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Sounds like a good time Jennifer! Congrats on finishing the portfolio

This is a speed-reply, because I start a meeting in 2 minutes:

Bridget, I like the cold hearted beeeyotch side of you. We probably share the same one. I think your neighbor is taking your DBF for granted. Perhaps it was an emergency. But she needs to find someone else to rely on in that event. It's gonna be up to Mark to manage her expectations.

Mandy, I love the furniture. Art-deco is one of my favorite styles. Have you ever seen Aztec deco? It's an offshoot of it and is super ornate and cool looking.

Ack. Ran out of time. More later...

Trying to slowly catch up on the chit chat from the weekend, I jsut wanted to say hi and I hope everyone had a good long weekend

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Christina, I hope you had a great birthday!

Jennifer, that's great you finished the scrapbooks.

Myles, no, I haven't seen Aztec Deco. I'll have to google it. I mentioned it to DH and he's interested.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Ashley, have you seen a doctor for the arthritis? Did they do xrays and bloodwork? Did they say if it was rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis?
    It's rheumatoid. I was given 2 types of anti-inflamation drugs (one with codeine) and told to just rest the particular joint when I can. I use a lot Ben Gay as well! I only have myself to blame for this last occurrence since I'm pretty sure it's from doing the baby aerobics class 2 weeks in a row. I won't be doing that class anymore! It depresses me when I think about it, how I can't play rough and tumble with the boys or even carry them around for too long.

Jen - great job on finishing the scrapbooks. Any chance you could take a pic of one or two of your fave pages and share them with us? I like seeing other people's scrapbooking work. Only if you have the time, though.

AmeriAsh - I hope your arthritis doesn't give you too much of an interruption in your life. I can't imagine how much frustration is involved when it affects your hands.

Mandy - I Googled Aztec deco, just to see what you would see, and I didn't see much more than cheesy gift shop souvenir type of things that you could buy on a cruise ship to Puerto Vallarta. The Aztec deco I was referring to is more of this architectural style found in iron work in lobbies of old buildings in San Francisco. If I find any representative photos online, I'll share them with you. LOL.

Hi and happy Tuesday to the rest of you ladies!! I took the "RealAge" test again because they changed it and I was bored when I first got into the office today. And in some ways I "aged" because of the recent stress of motherhood, the job instability and the family conflict. But my RealAge was still 4 years younger than my actual age (I think it was previously 7 years younger). One of the questions on the test was something like "How many friends do you have to talk to when there's a problem in your life", and I easily was able to answer 9+ (the highest option on the test) because of you ladies. And with the question, "How frequently do you have contact with these friends", I was able to say almost every day. Because of those answers, I scored high on the social support part of the test. Thank you for keeping me young, girls!

Myles, do you think the Fox Theatre is an example of Aztec Deco?

... One of the questions on the test was something like "How many friends do you have to talk to when there's a problem in your life", and I easily was able to answer 9+ (the highest option on the test) because of you ladies. And with the question, "How frequently do you have contact with these friends", I was able to say almost every day. Because of those answers, I scored high on the social support part of the test. Thank you for keeping me young, girls!

Awesome! I definitely feel like this is where my best friends are. I don't know what I'd do without y'all.

That's cool that we are keeping you young, Myles

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Awesome! I definitely feel like this is where my best friends are. I don't know what I'd do without y'all.
    Yeah, me too. I honestly don't think I'd have made it through last year without APA.

Y'all are all my BFF's! ;)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Aw, it's so nice to come back and feel the love here!

I've been camping in the Mendocino National Forest over the long weekend, and it was both heaven and hell, to use a very non-secular phrase. Actually, that was probably too extreme. It did not live up to either my ideals or my fears. How's that? It was pleasant at points, and insufferable at other points. However, it was beautiful and exhausting.

Hmm, get the idea that I have very mixed feelings about this trip?

The frequent vomiting on the way back was probably the tipping point.

Aw well at least it wasn't awful...sorry it wasn't great though! Why all the vomiting?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

No idea. It was mystery vomit. C. just said, "My tummy hurts" and then R. puked all over his car seat, his stuffed bunny, everything, and then C. let loose BlARrGGhh all over her car seat, the sleeping bag, everything, and then it happened all over again. We kept the cold foods cold. Nobody ate anything mysterious or unusual. S. tried to eat an acorn but I stopped him, and he didn't even have any issues.

We're thinking that this might be much better when they're a bit older. It was still way too much neediness. C. couldn't go to the potty if there was a bug on it. S. was drawn to the campfire like a moth to a flame.

Sorry about the initials. I've been getting more paranoid about my searchability since the boards became open, and my kids' names are unusual enough, esp. in combination, that I don't like to use them much. But ds and dd sound so distant with you guys.

I keep adding stuff. The stars were absolutely beautiful, though. And it was really nice, at times. The kids played really well together, from time to time. C. taught baby S. to throw pine cones. They built little stick houses for spiders to live in. They chased each other around. They loved the tent. It was pretty cool.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 07-05-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: I keep adding more and more stuff.

Ash, so sorry about your rheumatoid arthritis, arthritis is actually one of my biggest fears. I know I see all those commercials about rheumatoid arthritis and I know it is considered an auto-immune disease, you should see if they can put you on one of those auto-immune medications if it is really bad. I really don't like medications but I really, really, don't like dealing with pain. My aunt has osteoarthritis, she is a nurse and says that there is nothing to be done for her type except pain management but that there are more options for rheumatoid arthritis since it is autoimmune.

Bridget, I remember that lady from you mentionig her before. I really think your DBF needs to have a talk with her. He probably will feel awkward about it though. In your shoes, I would speak to her. Wish I were there, I would so ask her what her deal was?? Does she think that he does not have responsibilities at home with his 3 kids and yourself. She seems rather selfish and so understand and also like the cold hearted beyotchiness you are displaying. I would be much more cold hearted and beyotchy to her in person, but in a nice way as I try to be nice with my own beyotchiness LOL.

I'm also glad we are keeping you young Myles. You all are probably keeping me young as well with the social aspect, even though I don't think I'm all that social much in person or online, though I have been told that my perception of my social-ness is flawed.

Glad your trip wasn't extremely awful Lydia, beautiful and exhausting isn't too bad I guess, kind of like children!

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Glad your trip wasn't extremely awful Lydia, beautiful and exhausting isn't too bad I guess, kind of like children!

Erin
    How true!
    Lydia, I have found that big excursions have become increasingly difficult now that we have Sawyer. I find myself just wanting to stay home all the time. Thank goodness we live on the lake with a big yard and lots of frogs to catch and places to discover so Savana and Kai can stay busy from sun up to sun down. Yesterday dbf wanted to take the boat out and I'm just not feeling the boat trip with Sawyer, stuffing him into a life jacket and holding him upright the whole time. Doesn't sound relaxing at all. Plus of course I had a splitting headache so I laid down with Sawyer while dbf took the kids out. I feel like a party pooper but I'm not going to purposely stress myself out.
    The neighbor lady came over today and apolgized to me today when she saw me outside with the kids. But she was laughing when she said it and then went on to tell me the really boring story about how they got stranded. I told her it was ok that it wasn't her fault but that the timing was bad and that I just need Mark available to me when he is home since I care for the kids alone basically 12 hours a day and also have other duties that require someone to help me with kids. I don't know if she got my drift or not. She also said she would give us money for gas since she was all the way across the lake and we have a very old putter pontoon that isn't meant to be towing her 30,000 dollar heap. But she never gave us any money. Dbf says he is going to ask when she comes back next weekend.

Savana told me and my dad yesterday that daddy long legs are not actually spiders because they don't build webs. I googled it and sure enough she was right. When I asked her how she knew that she said, "I listen to the voice of the spiders."
    My dad looked at me and said, "You know, the thing is, I believe her."

ETA: I love y'all too.
    Last edited by Bridget; 07-05-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Oooh, life on a lake sounds really beautiful, Bridget. It's good you said something to the neighbor lady. She sounds like such a pest. I just hope your DBF isn't giving her a different message that it's ok for her to think of him as her personal assistant.

My needy guest is gone. Aaaah. DH said "I told you so" that there was going to be drama while she was here. The last day of her visit was more of the same delicate-flower-in-the-house routine. When she woke up she made this big show about how she was going to move to her aunt's house because she was being "too much trouble", prompting us to have to tell her that she wasn't too much trouble at all and make it seem like it was us who really wanted her to stay. Then she never came out to the beach when we went surfing because she wanted to sleep, staying in bed with her little one the whole time. And then when we got back, she wanted to take me to lunch to thank me. When she really wanted to pick this one spot, it turned out to be cash only, so I ended up using what was in my wallet to buy my thank-you lunch (she eventually paid me back, though). And when the sun got too strong, she pulled out the baby sunscreen and just handed it to me, expecting me to just apply it to her little baby without asking me to. She then got exhausted, and got in bed at 4pm and we didn't see her until 7am this morning. She TEXTED me from my guest room at 5:30 pm that she finally got the baby down and she wanted to get as much rest as possible for the drive home. This morning, she was being really obnoxious about trying to get my attention. She'd call for me from the guest room in this whiny voice, expecting me to come to her to find out what she wanted. I just started ignoring her, forcing her to come out to me to say whatever it was she had to say. LOL. That's my cold hearted beeeyatch coming out.

Mandy, I don't know if the Fox Theatre in Tucson is Aztec Deco, but it sure is purty. We have a Fox Theatre out here too in Oakland, and it's also ornate and gorgeous old-world-looking. I visited a girlfriend in Tucson a few years ago. That's where you live, right? We went to this old hotel. I think it was called The Congress, and I remember it having a pretty cool bar. We also took a trip to Tombstone and Bisbee. It's so Old West down there, I felt like I stepped into a Clint Eastwood film.

Lydia, that sounds like a pretty hectic time in The Great Outdoors. I'll take note of it. DH is making noises about a backpacking trip with Bodhi, and it seems like it could be - just like you said - awesome and the suck. We took Bodhi on another hike today,up a hill past an orchid nursery - acres of greenhouses. It made me feel that tingly feeling when I peeked into the greenhouses. I swear, I think I could live in one. Anyway, so far we haven't managed to average faster than a mile an hour. And that was with no packs. So I'm guessing any overnight backpacking trip will be very little distance.

I confess, I have a summer head cold. And my orange hungry monster is here in full force to boot. There's nothing like being voraciously hungry without being able to taste your food.

To end my post on a happy note, I replaced my lost camera with an identical one that I got for a song on Craigslist. I even got a better lens than the one I lost. Hooray!

Speaking of Clint Eastwood and spaghetti westerns, I'm going to bed now with the theme song from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly in my head.
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-06-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Daggum, Myles, your friend sounds like a trip! Is she a friend from high school or something? I can't imagine a grown woman acting that way! I'm glad you got a new camera; at random times I would wonder if you ever found yours or replaced it....lol...funny, the things I think of through the day.

Lydia, sorry your trip wasn't absoultely fabulous, but it does sound like you had some good times mixed in there.....but vomit would ruin it for me....I don't deal well with the vomit. I think Travis has only ever vomitted once in his life and Cash hasn't ever yet (now that I say that I bet they both get a bug or something!) But they were both spitty babies, so I cleaned up lots of baby spit-up...just not the proper vomit!

On a total different note, I had my nails done when I was in AR and they are now so grown out, I need to get them taken off (acrylic tips). I liked them but they have made life hard with trying to pick stuff up and type, etc!

Lydia, your trip sound rough. I'm glad you found some beauty in it.

Myles, that guest would have made me crazy. And I remember a wild night or two at Club Congress back when I was single! Wow, that takes me back. I never stayed in the hotel but always wanted to. My brother did and loved it. God, I sound old.

Wow Myles, I'm sorry you had to deal with her!
    Oh Lydia...yuck. I can't handle vomit either. Josh has only done it a handful of times but yuck. I'd not be happy if it happened in the car. And now I've jinxed myself.

...We also took a trip to Tombstone and Bisbee. It's so Old West down there, I felt like I stepped into a Clint Eastwood film.
    That's where we're going next year I love Tombstone & Bisbee.
    Your friend sounds like a piece of work. I don't think I would have made it through without lashing out at her, although the texting from the other room wouldn't have bothered me. My teens have conditioned me and now I find myself texting the 3 of them when dinner is done. Sure beats yelling, "Dinner's ready!!!" down the hall. Anyway, they invariably have headphones on or loud music playing and they don't hear me anyway.

I'm sorry your camping trip wasn't all it could be Lydia. There's a forest near where we live now that has a lean-to above a gorge. It's absolutely breathtaking and is only about 2 miles out from the dirt road. We really want to get out there for at least one night with Conner before we move. Not that we can't go after we move, but since we're doing nothing else this summer....

Lydia I'm sorry about all the puking, I think I might've lost my stomach myself

Ash RA is SO painful and I'm sorry you have to deal with that. My sitter has RA (still early on) and some days you can tell she is in alot of pain

The RealAge test said I was 19 I really thought it was going to say I was older than what I am I guess I better make sure to tell DH he's gotta keep those climax's coming so I can stay young

Thanks for the Happy Birthday ladies It was fun and stressful having all those people in my house!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Mylah, your houseguest sounds very high maintenance. Speaking of, can I take you out to lunch to thank you for everything you've done for me? That sounds awesome!

Thankfully, our camping trip did not involve backpacking. There is no way we could have hauled all of our gear. We had 10 gallons of water alone. Plus a huge tent. It was hard enough carrying everything from the car to our campsite when Justin was setting up the tent. I got the pictures up if you guys want to see.

Bridget, your neighbor sounds like she is one of those people who does not have any thoughts for anyone other than herself. She probably would not understand a subtle reminder about how much you need Mark around because you're busy and have children.

We have more neighbor issues ourselves. Our other neighbor has been staying out of our way, but "Crackie" has been coming over, blitzed out of his mind, pretty much every other night asking for money. I told him the other day that it's not so much the $2 here or there, but the fact that he's coming over and ringing the doorbell when the children are trying to sleep, and that if he really is in need (hah) he can only come before 6:30. So the other night he rang the doorbell and I told him I was really upset with him, S. was crying, he woke up, and I didn't want him to come over again. He told me to chill out sweetheart. He gave my mom some money to pay me back yesterday during the day, and then last night rang the doorbell again at 9 PM to ask for it back, after he got drunk. DH yelled at him and pointed at S., who was crying again, and said "Don't you understand? You cannot come over here! You are disturbing us, our family, you are waking up our children and making them cry, and you are making me very angry." I joined him at the door and told him he was cut off.

Crackie has always been a nice and harmless (but obviously drunk) neighbor, who always sits outside on his porch, so we're a little worried about what this is going to do.

Oh lordie Lydia. That does sound awful. I can't help but giggle that you call him Crackie though. We make up nicknames for our annoying neighbors too. We don't have any where we currently live, but where we're moving to we have a few. It'll be interesting to go back, that's for sure. I don't think any of them actually knocked on the door and asked for a couple bucks. I can't get over the nerve of your neighbor for doing that.