Page 707 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2076076576977057067077087097177578071207 ... LastLast
Results 21,181 to 21,210 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Hehe...sorry I wasn't more clear about the '3 more times' thing Myles.

Thats good to know, thank you Jennifer. I just hate that he can not understand what is going on

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Christina, what a relief that he doesn't need surgery. I hope they can figure out what he needs.
    Kate, I am glad to hear Josh enjoyed his lessons.

I can't go in the class with Savana. And she is completetly one of those children who does not do well with too many choices. I think the whole, "give them choices" advice is taken too literally. Like, it doesn't have to be about the red shirt of the green shirt but more of an all around effort to give children the opportunity to choose by setting up the environment to be conducive to real life experiences. Clothes where they can reach, child sized dishes to serve themselves, small brooms, stool at the sink, etc. Savana never did well with verbal choices. It just pissed her off more.

And I'm not a big independence pusher either. I wouldn't dream of having someone else care for them when I can just for the sake of them doing things without me. I really don't think that's what this is about to be honest. I think there is something inside Savana that makes it difficult for her to find balance both emotionally and physically. (She falls a lot and is very uncoordinated) I am hoping that when she finds the courage to dance that it will help with both. People always say homeschool kids lack socialization skills but that is not necessarily true. We socialize. My kids met family this weekend they had never met before and were awesome. Everyone commented on how pleasant they were and enjoyable to talk to. I don't think I had one conversation with either Savana or Kai until everyone left because they were so busy with everyone else. I find it funny when my family members who are addicts and being supported by their parents at aged 35-40 years try to give me a hard time about homeschooling because my kids "won't have any friends". Riiight. Did wonders for you, did it?

Anyway (tangent!) She says she wants to try again so we shall try again. Mark will likely bring her. I really think if she can overcome this hurdle, it will only make it easier to overcome the next one, whatever that may be.

Erin! Tell me more about the jerk chicken in the whole chicken thread! I keep thinking about that!
    Last edited by Bridget; 06-28-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Anyway (tangent!) She says she wants to try again so we shall try again. Mark will likely bring her. I really think if she can overcome this hurdle, it will only make it easier to overcome the next one, whatever that may be.
    I think you have a good plan and I'm confident she will overcome this hurdle.

I totally missed the jerk chicken suggestion in that thread!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Christina, yay for no surgery! That at least is good news, although it's hard to see them when they don't understand.

I think the alpha thing is why my dogs had so many issues with DH gone. They're different dogs with him home.

Bridget, you mentioned Savana falls a lot. Do you suppose she is at some level concerned about her physical abilities and okay as long as it's her and the teacher, but once kids she doesn't know are added to the mix it sets off the anxiety? I know she gets to socialize with the kids from your day care so I'm not worried about social skills, but we all know we behave differently around people we don't know than when we are in our comfort zone.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Christina, what's the backstory to all the tests? I'm so sorry that you're having to go through all that! It is so hard to see them so little when they can't understand what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    And I'm not a big independence pusher either. I wouldn't dream of having someone else care for them when I can just for the sake of them doing things without me. I really don't think that's what this is about to be honest. I think there is something inside Savana that makes it difficult for her to find balance both emotionally and physically. (She falls a lot and is very uncoordinated) I am hoping that when she finds the courage to dance that it will help with both. People always say homeschool kids lack socialization skills but that is not necessarily true. We socialize. My kids met family this weekend they had never met before and were awesome. Everyone commented on how pleasant they were and enjoyable to talk to. I don't think I had one conversation with either Savana or Kai until everyone left because they were so busy with everyone else. I find it funny when my family members who are addicts and being supported by their parents at aged 35-40 years try to give me a hard time about homeschooling because my kids "won't have any friends". Riiight. Did wonders for you, did it?
    !
    when I was much younger (and thought I would have a couple of kids by now), I was going to homeschool (have since changed my thoughts on that). I know certainly in your case, not having friends isn't a problem....you always have kids around with the daycare and so the socializing happens there. I would be more concerned about not doing things without one of the parents or siblings with. Mostly because of how I do think that it's stunted my sisters growth in some ways and wish that independence is a skill we were taught and encouraged a bit more (I'm not the most independent person either).

I feel for her on the coordination....I'm horribly physically uncoordinated. I'm bad at dancing, trip over my own feet, even playing in orchestra was more difficult for me because of it. I even fell off the curb on my first date with DH.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Thats good to know, thank you Jennifer. I just hate that he can not understand what is going on

Your welcome! Yeah I don't recall the test hurting at all and I had just had my insides rearranged the day before. The barium didn't taste that great but mostly I was just nervous about the test showing a leak and needing more surgery.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I agree about teaching independence, so long as it's on the child's schedule. Some children do need more support and take longer than others. Then again, the kids I work with can fall into a trap of learned helplessness and I really hate to see it. As in, if a certain adult is with them they know to get a crayon and color a picture, but if that adult isn't there, they can't pick up the crayon. And these are elementary aged kids. So that is something I have really learned to watch for, although those are extreme cases.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Christina, what's the backstory to all the tests? I'm so sorry that you're having to go through all that! It is so hard to see them so little when they can't understand what's going on.
    N has excessive spitting up and is not gaining weight like he should be. At his appointment last week he weighed in at only 10lbs 1oz Only a 1.5oz gain weekly from his previous appointment The spitting up is so bad that if he is on his back he starts choking. On Saturday I layed him on his activity mat for a few to reorganize some things on my shelf (he was right next to me) when I turned back around he was blue cause he couldn't breathe It's really freaky and I wish they would figure out whats causing this so we can get him better....

Oh, poor little thing! I hope you can start to get some answers!

Ack, triple post!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 06-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.

triple post
    Last edited by Gwenn; 06-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Oh, Christina, that sounds terrifying! I do hope these tests give you a diagnosis and he can start feeling better.

Thanks ladies I hope so too! This poor boys never going to crawl if I can't get over this anxiety of leaving him lying on the floor

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Thanks ladies I hope so too! This poor boys never going to crawl if I can't get over this anxiety of leaving him lying on the floor

I hope things get better for you and N. My guy had a touch of reflux too. It's so not fun.

I confess that I am enjoying short-timers disease at the office now. Everyone is scrambling to cover the bases that I am leaving uncovered when I go to the next job, and I'm doing my best to help them but secretly thinking "serves you right for not managing your budgets better to keep me on as a consultant". I've always had to hook my laptop up to this big TV to lead meetings. Today, for a meeting, I decided to hook up the audio cable too so they could hear whatever noises came from my laptop. I played Al Green during the whole first part of my meeting. Some people were .

Bwahahaha. chrissy, I'm totally in the same silly celebratory mood you had earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Bwahahaha. chrissy, I'm totally in the same silly celebratory mood you had earlier today.
    I wish I had short-timers disease.

There's a position that keeps coming up on Cornell's job board that I feel I'm qualified for..it's posted like 4 times. I applied to it (twice, because I didn't realize the 1st time it reposted that it was the same job) but they still haven't called for an interview.

I feel like the kid in the class who is raising her hand to answer a question and the teacher is avoiding my gaze asking, "Anybody else wanna answer?"

I love jerk chicken. My college roommate was Jamaican and told me about Walkerswood marinades. She said it was the most like traditional Jerk sauce in Jamaica. I use kitchen shears and cut the chicken in half up the back bone, then mix 2 tsps of olive oil with 2 tbs of jerk sauce and rub that mixture all over the chicken, under the skin too. You let it marinate for 4 hours or overnight then BBQ it until done. It is de-li-cious! They sell the Walkerswood here in Atlanta but only in certain areas where there are large Carribbean populations so I usually will buy a couple jars at a time. One jar can last us about 4 months or more.

I also jerk turkeys for Thanksgiving, which is all of our favorite type of turkey (I make a jalapeno stuffing to go with it, so everything is spiced to perfection). You can roast the chicken in the oven too but make sure to wipe off the skin of the bird before baking as the marinade is thick and will cause uneven browning. On the BBQ not so much. Everyone who tastes it for the first time is always shocked at how good it taste. Be forewarned it is pretty spicy. The main ingredients are scallions and scotch bonnet peppers, which is one of the most spicy peppers around.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Erin, that's a good point you've made about Ky wrestling with his cousins and boys being like that. I think I forget sometimes that a lot of their behavior is just nature.
    I remember when I was younger watching my older brother do the DDT on my younger brother. I would sit and shake my head and think about how savage boys were ! Boys are just different creatures IMO. I read an article recently about a school in Switzerland or Sweden (I always get them confused) and how they do not address children by gender and how they want to remove traditional gender roles and try to make it a point to let the kids play how they want and such. It was interesting but really I thought about Ky and my brothers when they were little, boys who I just think epitomize the idea of a boy, very rough and tumble and dirty and loud and a whole lot of fun and I wondered if they would encourage boys behaving like boys at that school. Elle is REALLY girly IMO, she loves dressing up, playing with babies and doing housework (though I think that is just a toddler thing as Ky used to like that too until he found out he could use the broom like the Ninja Turtle Donatello uses a staff as a weapon) and she just likes all kinds of girly things. She mostly only wears pink because she loves pink, she will not play with trucks and she will not get dirty because it is yucky she hates bugs, she is just very girly. I wondered if they would let her be girly at the school or encourage her to be more boyish, but anyway, went off on a tangent thinking about that article. Sorry I do that some times and usually I erase it but don't feel like it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Erin, the first rule of Mom's Fight Club is... you don't talk about Mom's Fight Club.
    Heh - that's what your wrestling post reminded me of.
    That is hilarious. I would never join a fight club, but I guess I am referee to boy's fight club for a couple days per week.

Erin

Conner has definitely had his own ideas about what toys and activities he's wanted to have or participate in. He wasn't even 2 yet when he wanted balls, bats, and even golf clubs (the plastic kind for toddlers). I still don't know where he'd ever even seen golf, but he put the ball in the grass and swung at it like he knew what he was doing. He could also hit a ball with a bat that was pitched to him at about 2 years old.

He loves all the trucks, dinosaurs, Thomas the Train, and hunting toys that a 'typical' boy would like. He has played with one baby doll and pretended to be Daddy, and a couple times he wanted his toe nails painted like Mommy & Sissies, but he's predominantly a 'boy-boy'. I don't feel like we encouraged anything one way or another. He is who and what he is. And yes, he can be a bit rough and tumble and really loves to wrestle. Lucky for him he has older male cousins that he sees nearly every Saturday that are more than willing to play with him.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 06-29-2011 at 06:44 AM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

A couple of things have made me feel much better about Ro. First, I picked them up at school yesterday and Claire was playing some kind of pretend Doggy Fetch game in the back room with a girl and some boys, and they were all being somewhat rough, like the level of play that I would try to get them to back off of at home. They weren't hitting or anything, but kind of launching themselves at each other. I hadn't seen that before, but it was a rainy day and they probably had a lot of pent-up energy. At my house, this would end in tears very quickly, but they were all having fun. So that made me think that this is a social behavior that he is seeing at school and he is adopting as a normal behavior to fit in with the group, which is a good sign of learning social skills.

Second, dh came home and talked to me, and said he isn't worried about it. He said that no matter what, we know that he is the sweetest person we know. I agreed. That hasn't changed. I agreed. So if he is being unnecessarily rough, it is probably because he sees a value in it, like trying to fit in (like I mentioned above), or it's a misplaced affection, like trying to share his rock with the neighbor but throwing it instead of taking it over, or hugging S. so much it knocks him over, and just carelessness. Probably a combination of everything, playing these games at school and not controlling his own strength.

Anyway, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and your posts also made me feel better, even before I talked to dh. I'd better clock in, but thanks, everyone.

I like that perspective, Lydia.

It's hump day

That is all!

I'm off on Friday so it's feeling more like a Thursday to me!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thats awesome Jennifer

Well, happy Thursday, Jennifer. Would you let us know how the weather is on your day, so I'll know whether or not to pack an umbrella?

Weather is chance of isolated thunderstorms and upper 80's, low 90's. We are going to be visiting with family for the holiday weekend! And hopefully getting that stinkin portfolio done or almost done.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Were going to have thunderstorms here all through the weekend

It's supposed to rain today, but it's not looking like it.
    There's a dead bird on my driveway. Should I call animal control or suck it up and take care of it myself? I can throw it in the back corner where we burn leaves...I just don't want it on the driveway.