Page 703 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2036036536937017027037047057137538031203 ... LastLast
Results 21,061 to 21,090 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I make no concrete promises, but I am going to "try" my best to remember everyones names! I've always been so bad at it

Jennifer I love the name Holly! Theodore is really cute too! I think letting the birth parents having a say in the middle name if they want is really sweet of you

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Yeah Fanny might not be so great over by you! LOL

Also on our girl list that we agreed on is Zoey, Penelope, Madeline, Katherine, Phoebe....but I think that right now Holly and Penelope are the leading contendors. I think that I like Holly better but DH I think prefers Penny a bit better.....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Wow we have really similar taste in names! Zoe, Penelope, Phoebe, Holly were all on my list if we would've had a girl! All gorgeous names

Bye for the weekend ladies! No computer at home so I won't be able to stay up to date. Check back with everybody come Monday Enjoy your weekend!!!

See you later Christina!

My mom told me once I would have been Zoe if I hadn't been Katherine. I kind of wish I'd been Zoe!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    See you later Christina!

My mom told me once I would have been Zoe if I hadn't been Katherine. I kind of wish I'd been Zoe!
    I would have been Katie

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I would have been Katie
    Too funny!
    I was just talking to someone about how everyone calls me Katie even when I introduce myself as Kate. Zoe...well you just can't screw it up!

My dad wanted me to be Henrietta...not so great as a child but I think I would have liked it now....Ashley is such a generic name! (No offense to all the other Ashleys!)

I remember being warned against calling any future daughters Ashley, but I kind of like it! I think it's a nice name and every Ashley I've ever known has been really nice.

I love it that here in England they shorten everyone's name, so I'm Ash to everyone....I prefer Ash over Ashley.

I think Ash is cute too...
    My husband plays a lot of online games and he almost always names his characters Ashrael and goes by Ash.

My mom wanted to name me Laura, my dad wanted to name me Sally. I think I would have liked either one of those better than Katy.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I like Laura, but Sally was one of my cats when I was a kid so I'm not a big fan of it as a person's name LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Thank you! I'm sorry my name is Christina
    Like me! But I'm only called Christina at work. My real friends and all my family call me Chrissy. I did go by Chrissy at work once (for 4.5 years!) and loved it, but when I started my current job the receptionist's name was Chrissy so I went with Christina.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    My mom wanted to name me Laura, my dad wanted to name me Sally. I think I would have liked either one of those better than Katy.
    My mom's name is Sally. She HATES it!!

I had an exhausting evening, but I have 3 salads ready for tomorrow. Instead of bbq, we opted for ham, turkey, or tuna sandwiches (on rolls). I thought about Rich having to come back and bbq for all those people and I took pity on him!

Oh-and I did buy myself a new outfit. Kinda middle-class-mom-of-a-teenager...so totally not my style. But it's a special occasion! It's a blue/white top with white capris because the Candor colors are blue & white. I hope Bobbie likes it...I should look like a typical mom!!
    Last edited by missychrissy; 06-24-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I would have been named Cloudy if I had been a boy. Can you imagine? Hippies, I tell you. Although when I was younger I wanted to be named a normal name. I actually was particularly fond of Suzy. Little kids, at least American little kids, have a hard time pronouncing Lydia.

Most of my childhood friends had hippie names, like Sunshine, Chamomile, Calliope. Our friend Rainbow is still a regular commenter on my blog and still visits several times a year. Meridian Prime was the best name of all, though.

I'm sorry I haven't kept up very well. It's hard when dh is out of town. Plus I have this volunteer work that I tried unsuccessfully to refuse, so I've been making a conference brochure on a deadline with my nonexistent free time and I've gotten about 50 emails in the past 48 hours because of last-minute time changes, speaker changes, and title and objective changes. Blah!

Bridget, I'm sorry your doctor's visit felt like such a waste of time. I guess the good news is that it appears to be musculoskeletal and not anything worse, which is the main reason for the visit in the first place. Right?

Chrissy, I love sandwiches at events. I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

Katy, I like your name better than Laura or Sally.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 06-24-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Oh my Lydia..I'm pretty much a 'to each their own' kinda gal when it comes to names, but Cloudy? I'm afraid I would have raised an eyebrow over that!!

My mom named me Christina at conception-or shortly thereafter. Her dr gave her a hard time about the possibility of me being a boy, but Mom was convinced it wasn't possible.

I would have been an Amanda....or a Jordan if I was a boy.
    My sister they thought about Kristen but went with Roxanne. I like Jennifer and people try to call me Jeny but I don't like that. Jen I'm eh with. My bff and her family/kids call me by my maiden name (it's a son name that appears on sporting goods. LOL).

Chrissy hope that you have a GREAT party tomorrow!!!!!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ok so my turn for a funny kid story. My dad had hemorrhoid surgery this week. My cousin turned 7 so dad didn't come to the party. He's out to dinner with his moms and sister and they are asking what kind of surgery uncle had. So my aunt is just like it was on a private area...since they were out at dinner. My cousin gets a shocked look on his face and makes a chopping motion and was like "did they cut it off? can they put it back on???" My aunt was like, no it was the other private area since again they are eating out and trying to be discreet. so he says really loudly, oh it was his butt. and both kids start giggling like crazy.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I would have been Rosemary. Or Phillip. Pretty glad they went with the name they did.

Lydia, I know an SLP named Lydia. There were years she went by "Wydia."
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Go NY!!!!! Six states down...a whole bunch more to go!

New York, the nation's third most populous state, will join Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Washington, D.C., in allowing same-sex couples to wed.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I guess I must have a lot of New Yorkers on my fb, because I saw it on there first! Sounds like it was a close race. I suspect AZ will be one of the last states to approve it, knowing our legislature. I really am not a fan of the AZ legislature.

Have to share a cute kid story of my own, since it's stuck in my head after I posted about "Wydia." A few years ago I worked with a little boy who just could not say his /l/ sound. I had been practicing with him really intensely and the class went on a field trip. On the field trip he asked me if he could have a "wowipop." So I made him practice saying "lollipop" with a really good /l/ sound, and made him ask his teacher for a lollipop.

So his teacher said, really exaggerating the /l/ sound, "I don't have any llllollipops, but I do have some llllicorice."

The little boy put his head to the side, thought for a minute, and said, "What wicorice wook wike?"
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    So his teacher said, really exaggerating the /l/ sound, "I don't have any llllollipops, but I do have some llllicorice."

The little boy put his head to the side, thought for a minute, and said, "What wicorice wook wike?"
    Awww. Little boys with speech impediments are so cute. And your story reminds me of Monty Python's Life of Brian, where the emperor talks about his friend, "Biggus Diccus" and everyone starts giggling. And he looks around surprised and asks: "What's so funny about the name Biggus Diccus? He wanks higher than anyone in Wome."

Anyway, I got the job I interviewed for yesterday, and I accepted it. Ho hum. Guess I work for Macys doing data analysis now (well, in 2 weeks anyway). Still haven't told my current boss yet because she's in North Carolina and I found out at 3pm today. DH is walking around super happy about it, and I guess I should be grateful that it took literally 20 minutes of effort (and one 2 hour interview) to get this next gig. It's not Virgin America, though. LOL. One of these days...

I went to an event with the "Art Moms" group I belong to within my local mother's club. We painted pottery while sitting around eating treats and drinking wine. They were all nice, and a couple of them really made me laugh, so it was a nice Friday night. All the moms painted big bowls and plates. What do I choose? A commuter mug. Because that's the one thing I really needed. Lame.

Bridget, here's how I think I made the soda I brought to Lydia, although there are quite a few ways to do it. This is the way to do it with things you probably already have in your house:

1. Strain plain yogurt in a coffee filter - the kind with active cultures in it that does not contain gelatin (Dannon for example has gelatin in it.) Gelatin keeps the liquid and milk solids from separating, which you'll need them to do in this step. You want to catch the liquid that separates.

2. Once you've caught about a cup of the liquid (or whey as I guess it's also called), set it aside. You can also use the solid yogurt leftover in the coffee filter as a yummy Greek style yogurt or in place of cream cheese).

3. Make a gallon of sugary fruit juice. I often boil blueberries with a cup of table sugar to make the mixture, but you can get creative here. I've tried tamarind, vanilla bean, garden herbs like rosemary, carrots. (The only fruits that have given me grief are citrus fruits. They just don't fizz for me for some reason.) You can use other real sweeteners like maple syrup and agave, succanat, etc. I tend not to stress too much about the white sugar I use (anymore) because the cultures eat up most of it during the carbonation process.

4. If you boiled your fruit mixture, let it cool to room temp. At the same time, pull out your whey from the fridge so it gets to room temp too. (Ideally, you want them to be the same temp whey you combine them; too hot a mixture can kill your cultures.)

5. Combine the sugary fruit mixture with your whey. Bottle in an airtight container. I use 2 or 3 of the $7 glass bottles from Sur La Table, but you can also re-use kombucha bottles from a health food store, and even perhaps find these reusable stopper tops that fit over any standard glass soda bottle. One guy online uses the plastic soda bottles you get at the store and swears they're better for telling when you have carbonation, but I have not tried them. The key is to make them airtight.

6. The cultures will eat the sugar in your mixture and give off carbon as they do so. Depending on room temperature, you could have carbonation overnight (usually in the summer when temps average in the 70s) or in a couple of days during colder months. Experiment with it and beware of kitchen explosions. I have had to clean fruit off my ceiling. Try to point the bottle top away from your face as much as possible. ;)

It's fun for kids too. I did this with my niece and she got so excited about it.

I also make sodas with water kefir grains I got on eBay, and homemade kombucha too which I like to get really fizzy. If you let any of these ferment for long enough, you will have some pretty strong hooch. DH likes that part of it.

=========

Christina - welcome.
    Last edited by demigraf; 06-25-2011 at 12:38 AM.

LOL at the cute little speech impediment stories...
    Tomorrow I get to go to a small Ren fest with a women's group I haven't done anything with in a long time. I was going to take Josh, but DH just told me he was planning to take him to the inlaws for lunch.

Thanks Myles! I'm going to try it this weekend.

My mom's sisters are coming over today. I haven't seen one of them since my mom's funeral and the other was traveling in Italy when my mom died so I cannot even remember when I saw her last. It's going to be really strange since I have never spent time with them without my mom. We aren't close at all but I am really thankful and touched that they are making the 5 and 7 hour drive to see us.

Lydia, how aggravating that you got dragged into a project that is taking up so much of your precious time!

Hope you have a nice time with your mom's sisters, Bridget. Do they have a close relationship?

I really feel like I am frazzled beyond repair these days. I'm so edgy I start panicking at the sign of any disobedience from Josh, and DH, who is not home all week to deal with the daily struggles, sees Josh's antics as no big deal but to me I have been handling it all week so I'm not getting that fresh start to the weekend like DH is.

Like this morning I went out with Josh to pick up some breakfast and Josh wanted to eat his on the way home and I let him, but as soon as we got home he stood by DH's plate and begged for his food even though I told him in the car that he couldn't have any of DH's food. (in hindsight I should have gotten something else for Josh when we got home, duh)

So anyway I was starting to get irritated because it bothers me that Josh begs for other people's food and DH was like, it's no big deal. So sometimes I don't know if something really is something that needs to be addressed or if I'm just extra sensitive because I'm frazzled all week.
    Last edited by daylilies; 06-25-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Ok so my turn for a funny kid story. My dad had hemorrhoid surgery this week. My cousin turned 7 so dad didn't come to the party. He's out to dinner with his moms and sister and they are asking what kind of surgery uncle had. So my aunt is just like it was on a private area...since they were out at dinner. My cousin gets a shocked look on his face and makes a chopping motion and was like "did they cut it off? can they put it back on???" My aunt was like, no it was the other private area since again they are eating out and trying to be discreet. so he says really loudly, oh it was his butt. and both kids start giggling like crazy.

Okay, logged on that that made me LOL too funny! Sounds like the far off things that Ky says.

I was reading this article recently about how to deal with the people who frustrate you (like family and spouses) and it really resonated with me. Basically it is about just loving them unconditionally and stop caring about their actions. I did something similar with DH and since then we get along much better and it shocks me still that he has actually stepped up a lot more since I told him I just didn't care what he did and my only request of him was to not complain to me (which he still does but I remind him). Anyway, thought it was a good read.

I don't think I would have made a big deal about Josh asking for food Kate. Ky still asks for food. DH will actually take food off of someone's plate without asking, which Ky and Elle have both picked up on and do to him so now he doesn't do that as often. My only rule with that is they are not allowed to ask strangers for food (or money, there are tons of panhandlers here and panhandler kids too and I don't like that) only me or DH, maybe the grandparents or their cousins or friends if they are starving and didn't have anything to eat.

That soda recipe sounds really good Myles! One day I think I will try that. I don't drink soda because it usually burns my mouth, but the kids would love that and maybe homemade soda won't burn my mouth so much.

Erin

Kate, I totally understand that frazzled feeling. I would say that specific scenario you described, your annoyance was likely a result of stress. Sounds like Josh was still hungry and kids that age just don't see past their own needs most of the time.
    You have an idea of my own personal philosophy regarding young children. Most of their behavior is harmless (annoying, yes) and things like "don't beg for other people's food" means nothing to them. I think I'd have said, "Can I get you something to eat so daddy can enjoy his meal?"
    I hope you don't think I'm being preachy. Trust me, I have found myself getting all worked up about certain behavior (gun play, poopy talk being the two I harped on for weeks) only to find that if I just back the eff off, it plays out and goes away on it's own. I very often find that when I am in a battle with them about certain behaviors, when I step back for a moment I realize it's just because it annoys me and that usually isn't a good enough reason. It also helps to approach these subjects in an abstract way later, like through books and play in order for it to really sink in.
    I'm so sorry you're frazzled. Frazzle sucks.

I would have been an Amanda....or a Jordan if I was a boy.
    My sister they thought about Kristen but went with Roxanne. I like Jennifer and people try to call me Jeny but I don't like that. Jen I'm eh with. My bff and her family/kids call me by my maiden name (it's a son name that appears on sporting goods. LOL).

Chrissy hope that you have a GREAT party tomorrow!!!!!
    Thanks. And I loved the name Jennifer. I really wanted to name Sydney Jennifer, but Rich felt it was too 'close' to Jessica, especially since we called her Jessie and he knew I'd be calling Sydney Jenny. I Jenny.

Kids are awesome! I'll save the story about when Sydney asked what a 'pecker' was at the table in Applebees.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I would have been Rosemary. Or Phillip. Pretty glad they went with the name they did.

Lydia, I know an SLP named Lydia. There were years she went by "Wydia."
    My brother called me Wissy for the longest time. Everyone once in a while, he still does.

Go NY!!!!! Six states down...a whole bunch more to go!

New York, the nation's third most populous state, will join Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Washington, D.C., in allowing same-sex couples to wed.
    In this, we are awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Anyway, I got the job I interviewed for yesterday, and I accepted it. Ho hum. Guess I work for Macys doing data analysis now (well, in 2 weeks anyway). Still haven't told my current boss yet because she's in North Carolina and I found out at 3pm today. DH is walking around super happy about it, and I guess I should be grateful that it took literally 20 minutes of effort (and one 2 hour interview) to get this next gig. It's not Virgin America, though. LOL. One of these days...
    Congratulations!!!! I'm still hoping something else turns up. Keep trying for Virgin America.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I really feel like I am frazzled beyond repair these days. I'm so edgy I start panicking at the sign of any disobedience from Josh, and DH, who is not home all week to deal with the daily struggles, sees Josh's antics as no big deal but to me I have been handling it all week so I'm not getting that fresh start to the weekend like DH is.

Like this morning I went out with Josh to pick up some breakfast and Josh wanted to eat his on the way home and I let him, but as soon as we got home he stood by DH's plate and begged for his food even though I told him in the car that he couldn't have any of DH's food. (in hindsight I should have gotten something else for Josh when we got home, duh)

So anyway I was starting to get irritated because it bothers me that Josh begs for other people's food and DH was like, it's no big deal. So sometimes I don't know if something really is something that needs to be addressed or if I'm just extra sensitive because I'm frazzled all week.
    Things do have a way of being more irritating when you're dealing with it constantly.

I think every family has different rules about eating off their parents plate. I know we let Conner do it, and we did with the girls, and I can assure you the girls never do it now...but when they stopped I can't remember. But there are definitely people that don't like it. I think that if you're really uncomfortable with it then you should talk to your dh so you can be consistent...and yeah, maybe next time get him something else.

He does sound like Conner...I wouldn't say Conner eats a lot, but then he'll go through days of nonstop eating and I wonder where he's putting it all!!

---

So today is the big day; Bobbie is graduating. I really did cry over that video last night (There Goes My Life). Sydney came in toward the end and stood next to me. She looked at me and said, "What is wrong with you?" I just keep thinking of my girls when they were little and how fast time has gone...some day I may make my own slide show for that song. If I can ever get through it without bawling my eyes out.

But I am happy. I'm excited for her and I hope she has a great day today.

Happy Graduation Bobbie!!!

Thanks for the support. I think it's mostly because I know that DH has an issue with Josh taking his food that I end up asking Josh not to. I share my food with Josh sometimes. And I know it's bad that we're not consistent. I change rules a lot when DH is around because I honestly couldn't care less about some things that DH cares about and I have conflicted feelings about that. On one hand I know we should be consistent, but on the other hand, it's true that some people have different preferences. It confuses me!

DH has a really squeamish feeling about some things including sharing food so I feel like we need to enforce that he can't take food off our plate.