Page 694 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1945946446846926936946956967047447941194 ... LastLast
Results 20,791 to 20,820 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Sometimes I read something and than I have a thought... Thats REALLY hard to hold back. I'll be nice though and keep it to myself even though I don't wanna

Anywho, TGIF ladies!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Myles, I tried to respond on fb about your auntie, just wanted to say I hope you get to see her!

You guys, I am having such an awesome time volunteering at school. I actually did some teaching today and did some one to one work. Teaching is such a rewarding job.
    That's wonderful! I'm so glad you're finding your niche!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Sometimes I read something and than I have a thought... Thats REALLY hard to hold back. I'll be nice though and keep it to myself even though I don't wanna

Anywho, TGIF ladies!
    pm me

I 'found' one of my former therapist friends from when I worked at mental health on Facebook. I sent her a friend request and she totally made my day by immediately posting on my wall that she's missed me so much.

In many ways that job was the most difficult one I ever had. I was an emotional wreck, really, and I don't think my personality is suited for the field. But man, I miss it. I miss feeling like I was contributing in a positive way in this world.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I didn't know you did that, Chrissy! That must have been rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post

Anywho, TGIF ladies!
    I wonder if it's the same thing I'm having a hard time holding back from responding to. If so, I agree.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I didn't know you did that, Chrissy! That must have been rewarding.
    Oh, I only worked as an administrative assistant-type position (actual title was Senior Typist) but I was really good at it. I got to the point where they allowed me to schedule the hospital discharge appointments. They were the clients that were being discharged from psychiatric care and needed to be seen within 5 days. Sometimes, I'd have to decide which case should be seen before another. Or, if there was a ration of discharges in a short period of time (like before a holiday) I would have to choose which 'regular' appointments to reschedule to make room for all the hospital discharges coming in.

We had approximately 800 active clients and I knew their cases and personalities fairly well. I was the main switchboard person and could identify who it was by the sound of their voice (most the time). I also knew who was full of crap.

There were so many little things that I was able to do behind the scenes...and I'd often advocate for some of our clients against the administration that was trying to make rules that I knew would cause them hardship.

But I cried a lot when I worked there. Not out of wimpiness (I don't think) but because I cared so much and I took a lot of their pain home with me. I'd lay awake worrying about people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I wonder if it's the same thing I'm having a hard time holding back from responding to. If so, I agree.
    PM MEEEEE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    But I cried a lot when I worked there. Not out of wimpiness (I don't think) but because I cared so much and I took a lot of their pain home with me. I'd lay awake worrying about people.
    I totally understand.

I totally understand.
    I'm sure you do. You probably have many similar experiences and frustrations.

I wish I could 'toughen up' and be able to do something that makes a difference. I'd like to do it without destroying myself.

I understand too. I wanted to go to into psychology but I'm too much of a softie (and I failed statistics, LOL)

You have to take statistics to be a psychologist? Well I'm screwed then too!

Yeah, at my school you did anyway.

Chrissy, you are as tough as you think you are. If you convince yourself you can do it, you can. Maybe that wasn't the perfect job for you, but you could find something hands-on where you can make a difference if you like.

Have you ever considered working with assistive technology?

Yeah, you have to take statistics. I did, too. I dropped it the first time I enrolled but took it again later and passed. Honestly, some professors make it harder than others. It's a tough concept but not un-learnable.

Yeah, at my school you did anyway.
    I think statistics is a core bachelors degree requirement in NY...at least the SUNY schools, which is where I'd get a bachelors from. I think I could pass it eventually, but I'd have to take it 2-3 times. Math is not my strongest subject. Not by a long shot.

Chrissy, you are as tough as you think you are. If you convince yourself you can do it, you can. Maybe that wasn't the perfect job for you, but you could find something hands-on where you can make a difference if you like.

Have you ever considered working with assistive technology?
    I've only heard about assistive technology once. Someone that was in a training class with me was talking about how they had someone come in and set up some computer system for one of the students. That person's job was simply to set it up (maybe even type in what the lecturer was saying, if I'm remembering correctly) for each class the student was in. I was intrigued because it encompassed everything I love-technology, helping, and typing. When I was typing every day, I was at 75 wpm without errors. Not sure where I'm at now...definitely over 50, but not without errors!

Anyway, I'm sure there's 'something' out there for me. I've often thought that after the kids have left the house and we need the money less, I might go back to school. I have at least a year of sociology/psychology classes to my credit. I have time to find a full filling career.

It was so frustrating--I understood the concepts in class but I couldn't grasp them well enough to get through the homework or the tests, and the teacher was not good. Nobody in the class except one or two people understood what was going on. And I was in my passive aggressive stage where I was like "Well, I'm gonna show this teacher he really sucks and fail the class!" Like that hurts anyone but myself.

I work (well, worked, before I switched jobs) with a lot of different types of AT depending on the needs of the student. Our special ed department has a professional on staff who goes from school to school installing software and devices such as touch screens on computers to provide access for our students. We have someone else who maintains and stocks a variety of devices for the therapists to check out for student use. From my end, I assess what devices would be appropriate for students or refer out to other agencies who will fund some of the more expensive devices and assist with their assessments. It's a big field, and from the technical side there aren't a lot of people who really know the needs of the end-users, so there is a ton of room for improvement. Growing field, too.

I was just looking and it appears Ithaca College has a program for AT, but I'm not sure if it's for evaluation or the technical side. I'd definitely be interested in the technical aspect of it.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I think statistics is a core bachelors degree requirement in NY...at least the SUNY schools, which is where I'd get a bachelors from. I think I could pass it eventually, but I'd have to take it 2-3 times. Math is not my strongest subject. Not by a long shot.

I've only heard about assistive technology once. Someone that was in a training class with me was talking about how they had someone come in and set up some computer system for one of the students. That person's job was simply to set it up (maybe even type in what the lecturer was saying, if I'm remembering correctly) for each class the student was in. I was intrigued because it encompassed everything I love-technology, helping, and typing. When I was typing every day, I was at 75 wpm without errors. Not sure where I'm at now...definitely over 50, but not without errors!

Anyway, I'm sure there's 'something' out there for me. I've often thought that after the kids have left the house and we need the money less, I might go back to school. I have at least a year of sociology/psychology classes to my credit. I have time to find a full filling career.
    Plenty of time. You'll find something. And if I could pass stats, you guys could. I have a learning disability in math.

Does the steam mop thread have you steamed?
    yup...I'm here all week. No, really.

So I was able to sign up Josh for the swimming class where the parent can come with you in the water, but it's for 2-3 year olds. I decided I'd rather do that because I'm 99% sure he'll freak out if I put him in a class where I can't go in the water with him. I don't think he'll notice or care that they're all littler kids, do you?
    It's twice a week for a month--they have 2-month long classes but I didn't want to sign him up for so long in case he really hates it.

I think that's totally fine, Kate.

I agree, I'm sure it'll be totally fine. I hope he learns to really love water!

Usually here more during the week....but somebody had the day off today.

Umm, I think that I took stats in college. I can't remember but know that it was required for the behavioral science degree...of which I'm 4 classes short of the degree....was my major before I switched to philosophy. Too bad they didn't have a minor in it because I had more than enough for a minor. My plan had been grad school in sociology before I found philosophy. I had about 5 different majors before I picked one and actually finished it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh and I want a pm too about a juicy thread. Seriously when work is slow....nothing exciting happens but I take a day off and there is a drama thread???

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I can't find it...are you guys poking around in the Christian room again? lol

Would I do that?

I can't find it...are you guys poking around in the Christian room again? lol
    I admit it, I like to lurk.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess....i just ordered yet one more cartridge for the cricut. This will bring me up to five (it came with one). I think that should be pretty good though and hold me for a while and gives me a lot of options of stuff to cut out and glue onto paper.

I got to grocery shop during the day...so nice to have it so empty. Went and picked up the newest Sookie Stackhouse at the library (didn't realize that they were having a sale so it was HARD to find parking and I'm lucky I was just in and out because i could have gotten a ticket....where I parked is permit only weekdays....stupid only library in town, well public one, is downtown. Grrr.) Got some house stuff done so I only have a bit of cleaning tomorrow morning.
    Tomorrow my dad and I think sister are coming up to visit. Was supposed to be dad and mom but mom got a cold and has been having coughing fits and it's looking very good she is going to stay home. Can't say I blame her, it's generally about a five hour drive.
    Tomorrow night will be Dh's famous homemade pizzas as dad is super picky and eats mostly pizza, hotdogs, cheeseburgers and Culvers/Burger King. A few other things but really when he's here we eat the homemade pizzas and Culvers.

Big plans for tonight include cleaning out my purse and having some drinks. haven't had any since last weekend since I asked DH to hid the brandy and rum. I like me some drinks and if I know it's in the cabinet, I have like no will power and will have one at night. But I won't go looking around the house for it or go buy more. Same reason I don't keep things like chocolate in the house...if it's here I will eat it. But I won't go out of my way to get some.
    And I have a book to read that I have been waiting to get for about two months.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Enjoy! Sounds like a great, relaxing night Jennifer.

I confess I let Rich go directly from work to pick Conner up and go to our house to do some work...while I came home from work and sat on my butt and did nothing. I didn't even clean our house and it needs it.

Rich seems tireless, and I admit sometimes I take advantage of that. I know we need to do sooo much, and I also know he'll pick up the slack if I don't do my share. I'm telling myself this is my one day for that-but we haven't even really gotten started with the real work.