Page 684 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1845846346746826836846856866947347841184 ... LastLast
Results 20,491 to 20,520 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm glad everyone was okay through the storms! We got a severe thunderstorm last night and we're supposed to get more today.

2. Default

I may be screwed out of another semester... 2 more years to finish my degree instead of just a year-year1/2.

I just took a placement test, since my college goes by ACT scores and I took SATs..

The scores are based out of 100... I got a 98 in reading, 93 in writing....
    To be in my bio class this fall I needed a 45 in the math section, and I got a 28...

Oh no Ash! I'm sorry! Can you take it again?

4. Default

I can, but I don't know how I am going to brush up my math skills before August, enough to make me pass anyways

I don't know. I never took the ACT's. Can you find like one of those tutoring companies? I think their courses are only a month long or so.

6. Default

Im going to look into it.. especially since Im not working now.. I would have a little more time to put towards it

Oh no Ash....that would have been me too with the great reading/writing scores and lower math (especially once out of habit of doing it in high school a few years!).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ash that sucks.

I had to take a refresher math course when I re-entered college. It didn't delay my degree though because I had so many other courses that I had to take as prerequisites for my degree program anyway.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I confess....I had to wear a light fleece jacket to work this morning!!!! And I got to turn the central air off.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Wow!
    It's only 80something here...they said it was going to be high 90's.

11. Default

Its 50 here today. We leave for Missouri in 13 days, and I was checking their weather... high 80's to low 90's all week. I hope it stays like that until we visit!!

Ash: http://www.satfreepractice.com/. I sure do wish there was such a thing as the internet when I was prepping for exams. It looks like that site is full of Math tutorials.

Bridget, I'm sorry that you had that moment with Savana last night. It does sound to me like the two of you have a wonderful chemistry, and she says such insightful things that it makes me want to follow her story as she blossoms into a young woman. Perhaps there are kiddie meditation techniques you could teach her to focus her on happy things. Molly (Abbeysmom) would be the expert there, I'm sure.

Mandy, thank you for the compliment on the photos. I feel like they're getting outdated already, because they were from October. The avatar pic has been my FB profile pic for ages, and I feel like I really should change it now, but I am still attached to it. So I decided to use it on APA for just a little while. BTW, me changing my siggy & avatar was done within an hour of finding out I might be losing my contract ... on company time. LOL. It's kind of funny. That was like my one act of defiance for them deciding to let me go.

kate, I'm gonna be in Boston next week for my FIL/MIL's 50th anniversary. I actually looked up the dates of the NKOTBSB concert to see if I'd even be there at the same time, but the dates don't coincide. If it were affordable and while I were going to be there, I would have tried to go with you, even if I don't know any of their songs. Do they sing "The Right Stuff"? I know that song.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    On the other hand, it's great that you might get a little more bang from your old job, but could they just let you go and then re-hire you instead of putting you on hiatus, so at least you could apply for unemployment?
    I thought about that. I don't think the hiatus would be long enough to qualify for unemployment, and I think all the paperwork around formally terminating me, dealing with my 401k etc might prove too much of a hassle.

I did talk to DH last night about my thoughts on his work inefficiencies. I told him we need to reduce the number of hours that Bodhi is in his preschool to save money. I think it really drove the point home when I pointed out the number of hours Bodhi is at school vs. the number of hours DH actually bills. At first he tried to make a case for how he "needed" those extra hours. Then I pointed out to him if he genuinely needed that type of overhead - even 1 extra hour for every hour he bills, and typically more - then he'll never reach the capacity he needs to make the kind of income that could really help us out as a family. I ended the talk positively by telling him I didn't think it was hopeless, and that I actually thought he could find greater efficiencies AND more work was going to come in.

He tried to point out that all these guys were going to hire him on all these different jobs (which he's been saying for months now). And I said, OK, let's scale back and manage to the worse case scenario, not the best case scenario. We can always adjust when the work comes in because Bodhi's school is that flexible.

He agreed with me, but he said it kept him up at night for the 2nd time in a row. He requested that I not bring heavy stuff up before going to bed because he stays up thinking about it at night.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    kate, I'm gonna be in Boston next week for my FIL/MIL's 50th anniversary. I actually looked up the dates of the NKOTBSB concert to see if I'd even be there at the same time, but the dates don't coincide. If it were affordable and while I were going to be there, I would have tried to go with you, even if I don't know any of their songs. Do they sing "The Right Stuff"? I know that song.
    You're so sweet! Perhaps you could meet up anyway?

He agreed with me, but he said it kept him up at night for the 2nd time in a row. He requested that I not bring heavy stuff up before going to bed because he stays up thinking about it at night.
    I'm glad you were able to talk to him about it. If you're anything like me, just being able to get it out with him probably relieved some tension. But I have to say about not bringing it up late at night. What if you're stressed and can't sleep?

One other thought...if he's devoting that time to work he's actually doing, can't he bill for more hours?

You're so sweet! Yes, they sing The Right Stuff. Although I think it's been downgraded to part of a medley as of late. LOL Would you be able to meet up when you come to visit? I live about an hour south of Boston, but we could meet up somewhere in between for lunch or something.

Ashley, you can practice enough at home to retake the test. When I took the GRE it had been about 12 years since I'd taken a math class. I got one of those practice books with a CD rom of practice tests to take on the computer. When I first took the practice tests, I got something like a 350 (GRE is scored like the SAT with 800 being the top score). I worked myself through the workbook and practiced and practiced, and when I took the actual test I got a 650. So you can definitely bring your skills up yourself at home. Although I think the practice tests were harder than the actual test in the case of the GRE, but that was still a big difference. Definitely try the site Myles linked to.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

kate, it had totally occurred to me that we would be in the same state. I thought you lived somewhere 2 hours West of Boston for some reason, so I figured I could only meet up with you if you would come into the city for the concert. We usually stay in Framingham with SIL, but this time, it'll be Methuen with BIL.

Both DH & I just read this article about New Bedford, MA and were interested enough by it to want to take a day trip there. Are you anywhere near there? A meetup would be fun, and probably a nice break from DH's 7 siblings, 17 nephews/nieces, etc.

If it were affordable and while I were going to be there...
    Oh my grammar makes me want to pee in my pants sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    But I have to say about not bringing it up late at night. What if you're stressed and can't sleep?
    I know, right? I wanted to snark back at him: "Well, I guess there always has to one thing I do wrong every single time.", but I kept my trap shut.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    One other thought...if he's devoting that time to work he's actually doing, can't he bill for more hours?
    I'd love for him to just bill for more hours, but I think he's afraid of driving away his customers with too high prices. His low self-confidence here and the way he undervalues his work makes me so sad.

I'm very close to New Bedford ;) We lived there before we moved to this house. Unfortunately we never really ventured downtown but I know there are some good places to eat down there--what did you read about it? It can be kind of hard to navigate--lots of one ways streets and stuff.

Actually...restaurants are not the best idea with Josh, and if you're thinking of spending a whole day down here, how about the zoo? It's right near us, but technically in New Bedford.

I'd love for him to just bill for more hours, but I think he's afraid of driving away his customers with too high prices. His low self-confidence here and the way he undervalues his work makes me so sad.
    Hm...that's kinda sad. I think that since he's spending so much time working, he'd be justified in raising his rates. But how to convince him of that?

I just ran into an old acquaintance from high school. I'm sorta ashamed to admit I hung out with her simply because she had access to alcohol. I never liked her, and she didn't turn out to much. Honestly, I thought she looked like a meth addict, and she was trying to tell me all about what was going on in people's lives. People that were friends of hers and I could barely remember their names, but couldn't place their faces. I was embarrassed to be talking to her, and my girls were looking at me strangely. As soon as she walked away Bobbie asked me, "So, you're a gossip girl now?" They know that's not me. They couldn't believe I hung with her at all.

Oh no! Awk-warrrd...

It's just so weird. We're 35 and she's talking about her friends, and not in a good way. It made me terribly uncomfortable.

heehee, here I am talking about her, so I guess it doesn't make me any better. My only excuse is that I really do put things here that I wouldn't share with anyone else. And you guys don't know her...so somehow that makes it better.

LOL, that's how I felt when I was venting about the girls on the cruise. I was complaining about them gossiping but I was gossiping about them.

26. Default

DBF and I went to a "concert" friday night. It was an all day thing, and each band got an hour set. We showed up at 8:20, and listened to three bands. The last band was actually a rap group, and one of the guys in it is his manager at work.

One of their songs was talking about riding through the streets of the town we live in. I was laughing my butt off so hard. Then everytime they yelled out "307!" (wyoming area code) I felt the urge to yell out "907!!" (alaska's area code)

anyways, I am listening to their cd right now, and they sounded a million times better in person. Which is pretty surprising.

Wow, that is weird Ash.

28. Default

It could also be because the cd is pretty low quality..

Ah, that could be it.

Woot! We got the ticket to Fenway for $40. DH asked again if he could get the time off but they said they're too booked up on Sat. So I'm going alone, but it's kind of exciting that way.