Page 679 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1795796296696776786796806816897297791179 ... LastLast
Results 20,341 to 20,370 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I wonder if it's something to do with spring-time? Or could be? My sil was just telling me that she had a headache from hell that lasted for 3 weeks straight. She will occasionally get migraines, but this was something else entirely and nothing would touch it. I was thinking of you, Bridget, when she was telling me about it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I confess....I find bugs disgusting. I'm already tired of them...and it's only June. Only good thing about summer is not having to drive in the snow....and trying to grow some veggies. I really hope that I get something out of the garden this year. It's the first year I have been able to do one that wasn't in pots and those never worked out well for me. I think that it will be good this year...as long as critters like rabbits, gophers, deer....don't eat my plants.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bugs are gross. I think living in the country, I've gotten to where I'm ok with their existence, as long as they're not in my house. I will even try to catch them in a tissue and take them outside because I hate killing anything...but no, they're not my favorite thing. *shudder*

I'm sure your garden will grow Jennifer! How exciting!!! We won't have one this year, but I'm sure Rich will plant one next year.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I know, you're right Jennifer. I'll stay away from heated threads.
    Yeah I kind of had some issues with that once or twice and was going to just quit apa (before we decided on adoption) and have been known to get into trouble online before. Once the drinks come out, I need to keep off the computer.
    no drunk FBing either!

I do have to say that I don't really like tequila. I mean I will drink it....but I like wine...and for hard stuff I like brandy, the clear Bacardi rum, or vodka....in that order.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't enjoy the bugs either but I will tell you my kids LOVE them. So I am able to eep just the tiniest bit of bug joy from that.

I am almost entirely sure my headaches are from my neck being wonky. Several times today while I was holding Sawyer, I would get a quick shooting pain and I'd realize that his head on my left shoulder makes me hold my head to the left while I'm doing everything else with my right hand. Cooking, cleaning, wiping butts, all with my head cranked to the side.
    So I'm going to focus on making sure my body is aligned in everything I'm doing and try to hold Sawyer so his head rests on my chest instead of my shoulder.

And after I read that you were drinking a skinny margarita, Chrissy, I started to think and realized I cannot even remember the last time I caught a buzz from having drinks. It's been a loooong time! Strange coming from someone who used to catch a buzz about 5 nights a week for, oh, 10 years or so. And I don't even miss it.
    Last edited by Bridget; 06-05-2011 at 07:33 PM.

I just made a post I kind of regret (and I'm not even drunk!)...in the one about the DH making negative comments about parenting. I don't like to talk about how difficult parenting has been for us but I couldn't help myself because I hate the illusion that parenting is peachy and just natural for everyone. I hope it kind of goes unnoticed (even though I know all you guys will go and look now LOL)

Bugs are gross. I'm glad we live in an area where the bugs aren't very big. DH talks about seeing wolf spiders when he works but I'm not sure what they look like. He has to crawl under trailer homes and go in nasty basements to install cable sometimes. I don't dare google them to see how big they are.

Bugs are gross. I think living in the country, I've gotten to where I'm ok with their existence, as long as they're not in my house. I will even try to catch them in a tissue and take them outside because I hate killing anything...but no, they're not my favorite thing. *shudder*

I'm sure your garden will grow Jennifer! How exciting!!! We won't have one this year, but I'm sure Rich will plant one next year.
    I guess I kind of live in the country now. This is the view from my deck

Technically I'm still in city limits but just barely and for now we are the last house on the last street. Eventually there are plans for that field to become a street with homes but we suspect given housing, that will be a while before a developer wants to do that.

So I have always lived in cities, smaller yards or apartments...never been a camper. So yeah not thrilled when I have hordes of bugs on the patio door or I'm finding ticks on us in the house.

At least summer up here is fairly short. And if it's like last year, I will soon have frogs hanging off my doors and windows and at least they eat the bugs!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My grass looks bad today...hasn't rained in a while but last week it was so pretty (we were thrilled because last year at this time it wasn't even grass yet but fuzz and seed and it really was awful last year...can't imagine why we have issues with weeds!). My only attached neighbor is retired and older....and he LOVES to putz in his yard and will spend hours watering.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Yeah I kind of had some issues with that once or twice and was going to just quit apa (before we decided on adoption) and have been known to get into trouble online before. Once the drinks come out, I need to keep off the computer.
    no drunk FBing either!

I do have to say that I don't really like tequila. I mean I will drink it....but I like wine...and for hard stuff I like brandy, the clear Bacardi rum, or vodka....in that order.
    I vodka! Mostly 'cause it's the lowest calorie, highest 'bang for your buck' kinda drink. I can really get a good buzz going with 1-2 shots of vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I don't enjoy the bugs either but I will tell you my kids LOVE them. So I am able to eep just the tiniest bit of bug joy from that.

I am almost entirely sure my headaches are from my neck being wonky. Several times today while I was holding Sawyer, I would get a quick shooting pain and I'd realize that his head on my left shoulder makes me hold my head to the left while I'm doing everything else with my right hand. Cooking, cleaning, wiping butts, all with my head cranked to the side.
    So I'm going to focus on making sure my body is aligned in everything I'm doing and try to hold Sawyer so his head rests on my chest instead of my shoulder.

And after I read that you were drinking a skinny margarita, Chrissy, I started to think and realized I cannot even remember the last time I caught a buzz from having drinks. It's been a loooong time! Strange coming from someone who used to catch a buzz about 5 nights a week for, oh, 10 years or so. And I don't even miss it.
    Oh Bridget! I'm so sorry you haven't had a buzz in 10 years. Cripes!! Monthly buzzing is new to me. I didn't drink at all when the girls were little. I give myself permission now because I'm older, more mature, and the girls are able to take care of Conner if something comes up. If I had 3 little ones right now I wouldn't drink at all either. Not more than 1 or 2 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I just made a post I kind of regret (and I'm not even drunk!)...in the one about the DH making negative comments about parenting. I don't like to talk about how difficult parenting has been for us but I couldn't help myself because I hate the illusion that parenting is peachy and just natural for everyone. I hope it kind of goes unnoticed (even though I know all you guys will go and look now LOL)

Bugs are gross. I'm glad we live in an area where the bugs aren't very big. DH talks about seeing wolf spiders when he works but I'm not sure what they look like. He has to crawl under trailer homes and go in nasty basements to install cable sometimes. I don't dare google them to see how big they are.
    Ewe--your poor dh! I'd hate that!

As for parenting...it is hard. There's nothing wrong with admitting it and talking about it. I might sound like I know what I'm doing, but I don't. I mean...I have 3 older girls so I know that if I make mistakes they'll essentially be ok. I also know that I'm not perfect and neither are they. No one is. Life is more about being able to love your spouse and kids despite their imperfections (at least, that's the point I've come to with my older girls). I hope I'm doing a better job by Conner, but I don't really know if I am. If that makes sense.

Whoa! Chrissy. I was saying that for about 10 years I used to drink almost every night. It has only been about a year and half since I got tipsy!
    That's hilarious. What am I a nun?

And for the record, I'm having a beer right now. I just can't catch a buzz because I'm nursing.

Yeah he goes into some very...interesting places. Not only buggy but questionable people. I understand he needs to vent about his day but I get really upset with some of the stories he tells about spousal abuse going on right while he's there, or people who are letting their toddlers drink Coke and swear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I guess I kind of live in the country now. This is the view from my deck

Technically I'm still in city limits but just barely and for now we are the last house on the last street. Eventually there are plans for that field to become a street with homes but we suspect given housing, that will be a while before a developer wants to do that.

So I have always lived in cities, smaller yards or apartments...never been a camper. So yeah not thrilled when I have hordes of bugs on the patio door or I'm finding ticks on us in the house.

At least summer up here is fairly short. And if it's like last year, I will soon have frogs hanging off my doors and windows and at least they eat the bugs!
    I think it looks great! And tics would freak me out too. I'm hoping that as your neighborhood becomes more settled, you won't see them as much.

I totally forgot to tell you, but right after the last conversation we had about how lyme disease was so prevalent in our areas my boss told me that his wife was just dx'd with it. I really feel bad for her. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I guess she was terribly sick for quite a while and finally went in to see what was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Whoa! Chrissy. I was saying that for about 10 years I used to drink almost every night. It has only been about a year and half since I got tipsy!
    That's hilarious. What am I a nun?

And for the record, I'm having a beer right now. I just can't catch a buzz because I'm nursing.
    Well, I do think of you as nearly saint-like, but really...I'm buzzed and am not catching everything---obviously!! Keep that in mind for all my posts for the rest of the night!! I'm glad it hasn't been 10 year! lmao!

Yeah he goes into some very...interesting places. Not only buggy but questionable people. I understand he needs to vent about his day but I get really upset with some of the stories he tells about spousal abuse going on right while he's there, or people who are letting their toddlers drink Coke and swear.
    It makes me wonder what it's like when he's not there, because I'm sure it's worse when no one is around. Most people are on their 'best' behavior when a stranger is around. Ugh.

At one point when I was more desperate about getting out of my current position I considered applying for directv/cable installation. I think I could qualify just from my technical training...but I wouldn't want to work on roofs or under crawl spaces. That would be worse than putting up with my boss and his sulky silences!

Bridget, what you said about holding Sawyer makes perfect sense to me. I hope that having his head against your chest totally alleviates your headaches. It's really funny to think about how constantly doing anything out of align will cause all kinds of problems.

Yeah Lyme can be awful. I know a girl I played with growing up got it in the 1980's and it took them forever to figure it out because it was still so new. At least now I know the warning signs and know enough to get in and see the doc should we exhibit any of them. And know to look for them on us and make sure to keep Cosmo current on frontline.

It is kind of a neat view....though one night at twilight back at the tree lines I think that we saw a wolf. Dh thought it was too big to be a coyote. and I really do not care to see any bears!

All this talk of drinks....well I just made me one. crystal light and vodka. course I probably would have made one anyway....if it's in the house, I tend to like 1-2 drinks before bed. Not enough to be drunk because the few times i have been hungover....that sucked! But enough that i wouldn't drive...well I wouldn't drive even after a few sips. I don't know if my body has adjusted since it's been almost 7 years but with the surgery, I believe alcohol its my blood very quickly. I don't feel like that anymore but just in case....I mean I used to be buzzing after a few sips of wine.

I would NOT be drinking though if I had a baby in the house on a regular basis. Especially since DH works nights so I would be home alone with baby.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

You guys and your drinks! We don't have anything at home right now and I don't know how the Sunday laws are where you guys are from but in MA the liquor stores close at 5 or 6 on Sundays and grocery stores don't carry alcohol (not even beer)
    We always seem to run out on Sundays and forget to go out until too late

Our liquor store (well, the one I went to last night) closes at 6 on Sundays. I got there at 5:15.

Our grocery stores sell beer and wine coolers, but I don't like either. Some people want them to start selling wine as well, but there's a group against that as they fear it will put local liquor stores out of business.

You should have seen me in the grocery store in AZ when I saw the 3 aisles of wine and liquor. I was like I'd never seen that stuff sold in a grocery store before!

We only have liquor in liquor stores here in TX, and because of the blue laws they are not allowed to operate on Sundays at all. And in regular stores, you can't sell beer or wine until noon on Sunday either. I guess they want you going to church instead of drinking on Sunday morning

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I just got an evite to a party for one of Josh's church friends, and when I messaged her to ask what he likes, she said no presents. I've never been to a party with no presents-is it customary to bring at least a card, or anything? I did ask if I could provide any food or drink.

You guys and your drinks! We don't have anything at home right now and I don't know how the Sunday laws are where you guys are from but in MA the liquor stores close at 5 or 6 on Sundays and grocery stores don't carry alcohol (not even beer)
    We always seem to run out on Sundays and forget to go out until too late
    I think that there might be only one actual liquor store in town and they were more expensive than the grocery stores. In WI the grocery stores carry the alcohol...full on departments of it. Makes it easy to pick stuff up when I'm buying groceries. I do think that they stop selling after a certain time at night but I don't shop late at night.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    We only have liquor in liquor stores here in TX, and because of the blue laws they are not allowed to operate on Sundays at all. And in regular stores, you can't sell beer or wine until noon on Sunday either. I guess they want you going to church instead of drinking on Sunday morning
    They have a similar law here in NY too. I'm not sure what time it is, but they can't sell before pretty late on Sunday. During the week they can't sell after 1:00 a.m.

I just got an evite to a party for one of Josh's church friends, and when I messaged her to ask what he likes, she said no presents. I've never been to a party with no presents-is it customary to bring at least a card, or anything? I did ask if I could provide any food or drink.
    I hate that. I always feel bad going to a party without something and you know other people are likely going to buy anyway. I'd just get him a $10 gift of something you think he'd like.

You should have seen me in the grocery store in AZ when I saw the 3 aisles of wine and liquor. I was like I'd never seen that stuff sold in a grocery store before!
    I was like that when I went to the stores in Minnesota....I guess that they do beer and wine coolers but not hard stuff (not sure about wine). I had never seen a grocery store that didn't have a nice big alcohol department.

Our stores, I would guess that the alcohol room is probably about half the size of the produce department. They have everything there. Only bad part is I get gas points at the grocery store...but alcohol doesn't count. Well at least it goes on sale!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I hate that. I always feel bad going to a party without something and you know other people are likely going to buy anyway. I'd just get him a $10 gift of something you think he'd like.
    I agree with this.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ok that is a strange thing to me too...different buying laws for Sundays? I believe that I can buy from 8am to 9pm every day of the week.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

25. Default

I confess I rather enjoyed my two days off before school started... I just checked my assignments and I have four things that need to be completed today.... Oy. Thankfully I am not working through this as well..

Good luck with your assignments Ash!

I might get him a book...tbh I'm not even sure how old he's turning. LOL maybe 3?

Goodnight Mood is a good choice. Well, there are many but that seems to be a favorite for a wide variety of ages.

OMG, you beat me to it! We can buy anything in the grocery store here, although they do have to stop selling the same time the bars close, which is 2am every day of the week so it would only affect 24 hour stores. In the past they couldn't sell before 10 on Sunday but recently they changed it to be the same as every other day, which is 6 am. I'm not sure if they're still in business, but there used to be drive through liquor stores here, too, if you can imagine. I think they're still legal, but I can't think of any off hand. Can you imagine selling liquor through a drive through window? Just crazy!

I really do live in the wild west, don't I?

As far as Margaritas go, I can't drink tequila. It makes me sick. But I love rum and vodka drinks, but I rarely drink enough to get buzzed.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I live near the PA boarder and that's the only way you can buy alcohol there-a drive thru. They actually look like car-washes, to tell you the truth. You drive in one end, stop, someone comes to your car and you tell them what you want. They take your money, bring back the change and your purchase, and you continue driving right out of the building.

In PA you can't sell alcohol in any store at all. Except those drive-thru things.

I don't drink liquor at all anymore. What I would drink is a mojito with fresh mint.
    Otherwise I'm all about beer or red wine.
    Now, back in the day I used to take shots of Petron tequila and I also drank Tuaca on the rocks. Oh lordy. Those days were fun...and hazy.