Page 657 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 157 557 607 647655656657658659 667 707 757 1157 ... LastLast
Results 19,681 to 19,710 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

If I don't get to log on later tonight (although I'm pretty sure I will), I wanted to say goodbye for the next few days! I will be back from the cruise on the 16th and although I will be pretty wiped out, I probably won't be able to resist popping in and saying hi. I'll miss you guys. I'm not sure what the deal is with wireless on the ship but I'm bringing the laptop just in case. I'll check in if I get a chance. Have a good week everyone!

Kate-if we don't get a chance to wish you bon voyage before you leave, then have a great trip!! Post lots of pics otay?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

On the subject of books, I felt all nostalgic about the L'Engle books after I posted so I looked them up to see if I could download to my kindle app (I don't have a kindle but I actually downloaded the app to my computer and I've been downloading quite a few things and reading on the computer. I kept saying I wanted the tactile experience of a book, too, but you know what? I love reading this way and also when I eat and read, I don't have to worry about holding the book open. I think I'm a convert but I'll probably go for an iPad over a kindle because I don't want a single use device). Okay, back to the original point ... I looked to see if the L'Engle books were available for kindle and found they've been re-issued with really, really cool covers. I'm embarrassed to say I bought all the re-issues just to have the new covers even though I have the old ones from my childhood around here in boxes somewhere. Anyway, just as I was reading this thread the mail came and my books got here! I'm so excited to re-read them.

And Lydia, I was Ozma of Oz for Halloween one year! My mom made me the most awesome costume ever. She copied a design for a greek dress out of a costume history book and we made it out of bright (somewhat bilious neon) green chiffon. No one had any idea who I was supposed to be, but I loved it! My mom used to go all out for Halloween. I miss being a kid.

I had the most atrocious evaluation this morning. I've see a whole lot of parents from totally neglectful to super-pushy, but this parent absolutely took the cake. I won't go into all of it here, but I've never seen anything like it before.

Oh, and Kate, I hope you have a fabulous time on the cruise!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 05-10-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I had the most atrocious evaluation this morning. I've see a whole lot of parents from totally neglectful to super-pushy, but this parent absolutely took the cake. I won't go into all of it here, but I've never seen anything like it before.

Oh, and Kate, I hope you have a fabulous time on the cruise!
    I don't want to be nosy and pry, but if you want to tell us about it we're here. My heart aches for kids that don't have supportive parents.

Chrissy, best not to post some of it here. But I'll PM you.

Ashley, just looked at the thread about your sister. I'm sorry it's so hard. I think Lydia gave you great advice.

And I forgot to say earlier, I believe Kim (Shutterbird) did go back to her faith. I read several of her posts about it in the Christian forum.

I knew I couldn't stay away
    Mandy, you know if you need to bounce anything off someone, you can PM me.
    That Ozma costume sounds lovely. I remember her in the Return to Oz movie (which was a pretty messed up movie, looking back, but I loved it)

Do you have everything done and ready to go? What time do you leave?

I loved the Oz books and still have the Frank L Baum 14 books.

kate have a GREAT time!!!!!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ashley, wish I had some sibling advice for you.....My mom has only spoken to her one brother basically once in 32 years and I don't feel like we are any worse for not knowing him or his son. But I'm super close with my sister and pretty much either FB, email or talk daily and she has come on more vacations with DH and I than we have taken alone together. It would kill me if she didn't talk to me for a few days....and since I'm older, I have always catered to her and would make the first move.

Really only you can decide enough is enough and what point that is for you.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Do you have everything done and ready to go? What time do you leave?
    I am all set except the last minute things to throw into my bag in the morning. We are leaving at the crack of dawn-I didn't really think things through and I am flying down with a friend who booked an a.m. flight, and because it leaves from Boston DH is driving me in. (I have this thing about driving in Boston, I can't do it, through it is okay but navigating it is not possible, plus if DH drives me we don't have to pay for parking) It's not much earlier than Josh gets up anyway so it won't screw up his day too much hopefully.

I'm really off now, have a good week everyone.

Have a wonderful, memorable time!!!

Have a great time, Kate! I'll PM you, too ... you'll probably have no idea why when you get back!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Thanks for the advice, everyone....I'll type a bit more when I get some free time later on about the situation.

Have a fantastic time, Kate! I hope you take lots of pictures to share with us!

I know she's gone now, but I hope kate has a blast.

Ozma - she's the one who started off as a dude, right? I was so obsessed with the whole gender switch thing when I read it. When I saw a TV version of the boy turning into this princess, it seemed like she suddenly had amnesia too. She was instantly regal and gracious, and not the least bit concerned about where her penis had skipped off to. I would have probably stared at myself naked for at least a week before putting on one of my big, puffy gowns.

16. Default

I am so lost in the Ozma conversation, but it all sounds extremely interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I know she's gone now, but I hope kate has a blast.

Ozma - she's the one who started off as a dude, right? I was so obsessed with the whole gender switch thing when I read it. When I saw a TV version of the boy turning into this princess, it seemed like she suddenly had amnesia too. She was instantly regal and gracious, and not the least bit concerned about where her penis had skipped off to. I would have probably stared at myself naked for at least a week before putting on one of my big, puffy gowns.
    Too funny! I never thought of it like that - most males I know wouldn't know what to do with themselves, mourn over the anatomy they lost or enjoy the new anatomy they gained! LOL!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I have to say, I had to go to Wikipedia when I saw the Ozma transgender reference. It was so long ago that I didn't remember any of it, let alone penises skipping off. You'd think that would have made an impression, but no, apparently it was just another day in the life! The puffy gowns were more memorable.

It didn't make much impression on me either, but I remembered when it was brought up. I was also more interested in the gowns!

So I finally pop in for a second and the topic is transgender? Lol.

I have a dear friend who was a boy, and is a girl now. And another acquaintance. I was my friend's support system during her hormone treatment and surgery. The surgery and recovery was horrible.

Hi Stacy! Long time no see! How are the boys? Your gardens?

I personally think we have the best conversations in here. No bias in that statement at all!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I personally think we have the best conversations in here. No bias in that statement at all!
    I would agree with that too!

And I read those Oz books more than once....and don't recall the Ozma thing either! Must not have made an impression on me...... Might have to think about digging those out again...I think that they are on one of our shelves and not in a box.....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Hi Bridget! How'd things go? Did mil put her stuff away?

No! But it was fine. The kids were awesome. They didn't mess with anything. Mealtimes were so stressful for me because of that dam rug under her table. But no major mishaps on that front. But plenty of others, the biggest one being that dbf forgot to bring, or didn't know he needed, his permanent resident card to get back into the US. I was terrified about traveling with all 3 kids alone. But they let him.
    On our last connection in Denver, because of the snowstorm, we sat on the plane in line on the runway for almost 4 hours. It. Was. Hell.
    Arrived home at 4am. It's now 10am and everyone is asleep but me and sweet Sawyer since the little peanut slept his normal sleep, in his normal spot, in mamas arms.

I thought they had a time limit for how long you could sit on a plane? I couldn't imagine sitting there for 4 hours. ..omg!

Our office fridge defrosted (due to power outage?) the night before last and today the carpet reeks!

Bridget, welcome back!

Stacy, I was thinking about you not too long ago because I recently told the twins about Esme. It went really well and they have been bringing her up from time to time. At the dentist the other day there was just idle chit-chat and the dentist was asking Claire if she felt outnumbered with two brothers, being the only girl. Claire said, "No, I have another sister named Esme." The dentist said "Wow, you sure have a big family." Then last night they asked dh if he knew about their sister named Esme. My mom was there and she said of course he knew about Esme, he was Esme's daddy too.

Oh, Lydia. That makes me so sad inside and at the same time so warm inside.

Aww...it's funny how their minds work, not realizing whether Daddy would have known about Esme or not.

I just got off a long phone call with my brother. He said my dad told him he's thinking of selling the house. I don't know why but the thought of that makes me so so sad. Of course I want him to do whatever makes him happy. Without question.
    I just can't imagine that house not being ours any more. The smell of that house. When my mom used to send me packages in Hawaii I could smell it as soon as I opened it. The scent of of my mama, but not her perfume. The smell of home.

I sort of feel like saying goodbye to that house will be like losing her all over again.