Page 655 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1555556056456536546556566576657057551155 ... LastLast
Results 19,621 to 19,650 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

1. Default

I confess I may be screwed with my classes once again...

I am scheduled to take my CNA class July 5-25... I forgot that the court case I am being subpoenaed for is scheduled for like July 11 or something....

Oh no Ashley! Can't you miss any time at all?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess I just got a letter from the nursing dept at my college. Because I am taking the CNA class this summer, and it is so short they want us to have a few things done before the first day (CPR, and Proof of immunizations, etc) It also included rules about our uniform...

ALL WHITE. White scrub pants, top, and white nursing shoes. White tennis shoes with colored athletic symbols (aka nike or adidas) are not allowed.

I read it to my mom and she said "I thought the all white nurses uniform went out like 50 years ago!?" lol.

I am now shopping for the most boring outfit of my life!
    I wouldn't want to wear all white either. I do see our nursing students in all white though.
    Actually just worked on some research in the last year about the color and styles of nursing uniforms. Trying to figure out what is seen as the most professional look yet also practical. Looking at making certain groups of nurses wear certain colored scrubs....that sort of thing.
    No surprise but the old people always liked the white.....except the rns said no way to that! I personally liked the pictures of nurses in navy.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Uggg Ashley! That always sucks so much when classes conflict or are not available at the right times.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

And Chrissy....cute siggie!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    And Chrissy....cute siggie!
    Thanks! They were enjoying the nice weather and chasing each other around the yard. They were so cute

Uggg, appears we have a gopher problem. I'm a city girl, I have always live in a city (not in a downtown area but with houses on blocks and not huge yards). So what do I do, I go and build my house in a new subdivision...within city limits but it's pretty country to me. I'm the last house on the street and have one attached neighbor....so two sides of my hard back up to a field...last year the farmer grew soybeans....and just past that there are woods that drop off to a creek.
    I'm scared of my back yard at night because it's so dark back there and we have all sorts of wildlife that I'm not used to. We have seen turkeys, deer, hawks, eagles, lots of frogs (last summer I had about 3-4 that hung off my patio door every night and another 3-4 that liked to chill on the porch or hang from the roof over the porch), saw something that we were not sure if it was a wolf or a coyote, and I'm a little bit worried about seeing a bear. I don't what to do about gophers except the d*mn thing is putting a hole in my lawn every night. I was so excited about growing some veggies this year but not sure if it is even worth my time if I can't figure out a way to repel the freaking gopher/gophers.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh and I am stressing out a bit and a little nervous because I going to a conference Saturday and will be gone until Tuesday night. I'm not used to leaving DH or my Cosmo. He's going to have to give her the medicine every night, which is something I do. And I feel like I should have a bunch of food made for them while I'm gone (even though he says not to worry about him).

The conference sounded fun a year ago...now that it's close, I'm kind of nervous about going and being away from them....and staying in a hotel. I'm paranoid about bed bugs and I don't think that I have stayed at a hotel since 2008.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ugh-I'm not sure what to do about gophers. I think we have one, but our yard is 3 acres and he stays away from 'our' area immediately around the house. Rich talked about shooting him, but I told him not too! I like wildlife in my yard. Bears included!!

I'm sure you'll have a great time on your conference. I did the same thing with regards to food for Rich & Cramer when I went away. I had a weeks worth of stuff all mixed up for Cramer and easy to prepare meals ready for Rich.

I don't mind the wildlife....except when it's wrecking my yard or when the frog jumped in my house when DH opened the front door last summer and it landed on my face. If the stupid gopher would just go over like 5 feet, there is a nice big field. But instead he has to put his little mounds of sand and holes in my grass....which we have been working hard to get going in good condition since last year it was nothing. And I'm not sure about doing my veggie garden...if it will even be worth it. DH doesn't have a gun and while he said it was war, I don't think that he could kill it even if we had a gun. I wish that we could get a good mousing cat...but DH is very allergic to cats. I would prefer that an owl just get it already or find a way to make our lawn unappetizing...without being chemicals that could harm other animals.

Yeah DH was laughing at me....I'm thinking he's going to starve or something and he's like, I can get Culvers for one meal, I could probably make spaghetti......both of which Cosmo loves since her medicine has to be put in people food and it's liquid so some foods work better than others. And I'm all like, make sure to change her water twice a day....she's very princessy about her water and likes it super clean. And make sure to leave the TV on for her when you go to work (he works nights and she's not used to being alone at night....normally she sleeps with me). And I think that she needs to be told to use the bathroom, DH thinks she can go on her own....seems to think she does for him but for me she waits until I tell her I'm watching so she gets her treat. I think that she has me very well trained!
    I know that DH adores her and will take good care of her....but I still worry about not being there.

And we think that DH is going to be at home with our baby during the day while I work....since I'm first shift and he is 3rd shift....one of us can almost always be home. I'm kind of a control freak and kind of bossy.....I think that I might drive us both

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I found this on gophers:
    There are a number of household solutions that you can try to chase away gophers and moles before resorting to expensive pest control alternatives.

Bounce Fabric Softener -- the fragrance in fabric softener, oleander, is a natural repellent to gophers and moles. Stuff a few fresh sheets of fabric softener into their tunnel openings, then use dirt to fill in the tunnels.

Coffee Grounds -- moles are repelled by coffee grounds, so try spreading some around your yard. Coffee grounds also act as a fertilizer.

Radio & Sealable Freezer Bag -- put a portable radio inside a freezer bag, turn it on, and seal the bag shut. Put the bag near the gopher/mole tunnels. Much like a scarecrow, the human noise scares away moles and gophers.

Cat Litter -- if you have a cat, try pouring used cat litter into the opening of the mole/gopher tunnels. Cats are natural enemies of moles and gophers and the scent will scare them away.

Additional tidbits about moles and gophers:

Gophers are members of the rodent family. They eat garden vegetables, roots, and buds. Moles are mammals, and they prefer insects and worms; they'll rarely eat plants.

Gopher tunnels can be as long as 800 ft.

Stepping on mole tunnels to flatten them will probably only chase the moles into someone else's yard.

Skunks, hawks, king snakes, and owls prey on gophers.

While we tend to see moles as "pests", and they do eat helpful earthworms, moles also eat some of the other pests that may be plaguing you, such as beetle grubs, cutworms, and wireworms. Aerated soil is a byproduct of their tunnel digging.
    Dunno how accurate it is, but Bounce dryer sheets can't hurt to try, right? We tried them for keeping mosquitoes away, and I've heard using fabric softener as a rinse in your pet's fur will keep fleas away...so maybe this would work?

Men never do the same for our babies (fur and skin) as we would, but somehow they survive. Actually, some might argue that they benefit from Dad's way of doing things once in a while. And it does sound like she has you wrapped around her paw!!

I'm going through something similar, helping DH and Josh prepare for while I'm away. It doesn't occur to me that they can go to the store around the corner if they need something.

DH suggested we go buy an owl. LOL I did find these things online to repel them and they had great reviews so I ordered them....I know it's a smell thing and has garlic in it...I hope that they arrive in a few days.
    I either ate too quickly or didn't chew my apple enough. My stomach hurts so bad right now and I have to sit at my desk....if I was at home, I would lie on my left side as that is most comfortable when this happens. Thank god I know I should feel better in about 20 minutes once it passes. It's been 6.5 years since my surgery....and I can't believe I still do this once in a while.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Can that cause damage? Or is it simply unpleasant for a while?

I'm much better now! No damage by it, it's just VERY comfortable all of a sudden....and just as suddenly about 20-25 minutes later (never timed it exactly), it's gone. I know it's common for people to throw up, but I have only done that maybe 2 (other than the time I had a stomach bug for two days) times in the past 6.5 years. It's kind of like after a major thanksgiving meal, you tend to feel super full and uncomfortable.....knock that up a couple of times, turn it into a rock and put that right under the rib cage (I believe my stomach sits up higher than the average person....I sure do feel full a lot higher up than I used to).

I just hate feeling this way and tend to be careful but I suspect I wasn't paying enough attention to my apple and too much attention to my book.....getting towards the end of the newest Mary Higgins Clark.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I can't believe Mary Higgins Clark is still writing books! One of the first adult books I ever read was "Where are the children?" I remember it was in my mom's stash. I actually remember her reading it when I was very little and kept my eye on it till I was older. I might have read it when I was 10 or 12!

Speaking of MHC, I remember in high school there was a girl who always did her book reports on MHC books. LOL. I've never been in to modern writers; I've always stuck to classic literature. I've joined a book club (I've mentioned that before, I think) to try out some modern stuff. I've read "Jane and Prudence" by Barabara Pym for this month and I can't say that I would recommend it! :S

Yep, still writing them. I'm lucky since my assistant likes to buy them and than loans to me so I don't have to get on the wait list at the public library.

Spent my after noon doing research on risk assessments for trisomies. Interesting to think about that I won't have to take any of those tests....had I ever gotten pg, I would have. And with adoption, we can agree to take a baby with certain conditions or circumstances or family histories.....or not. That is one of the forms we still have to talk about and fill out.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I went through a phase where I was into more of the classics and literary writers.....now I'm into usually a little lighter, more fun books that I don't have to think about too much or try to pick apart things like symbolism. I like mostly suspense/mystery....especially medical related....series. Oh and vampires. I LOVE Sookie Stackhouse...both the TV show and the books.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I'm going through something similar, helping DH and Josh prepare for while I'm away. It doesn't occur to me that they can go to the store around the corner if they need something.
    I'm sure you'll be anxious anyway, but they'll likely have a grand time without you.

I'm reading Uncle Tom's Cabin on my BB/Kindle app right now. Sometimes it's all I can do to not shed tears on the bus, so I'm reading it very slowly. If I start feeling overwhelmed, I have to close it up.

I don't remember who recommended Matched, but I'm (still) reading it. I mentioned it's very much like The Hunger Games-it has the same kinds of themes-but I'm actually liking Matched better. It makes references to actual people, books and stories, while the Hunger Games does not, and that really makes the story hit home for me.

Okay, I'm still stuck on kid's books - my all-time forever and ever favorite author was Roald Dahl. James and The Giant Peach, all the Willy Wonka books, Danny Champion of the World.

sorry about your school issues, Ash. I hope there is a way around the delay.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Every time someone mentions an author, I can't believe I've forgotten them. I loved the Roald Dahl books.

I loved Roald Dahl as a child! James and the Giant Peach and The BFG were my favorites.

I've never read Uncle Tom's Cabin; I'll have to put that on my list to read. Somone told me to read Jude the Obscure but told me it's very depressing. I'm intrigued to read it now. I might ask for an e-reader for Christmas or maybe my 30th birthday this year.

I loved the Oz series and pretended there was a passage through my mirror into their land. All I had to do was lay the mirror down on the floor and "jump" through. My hypothetical tattoo will always be Oz-related.

Oh, and I loved L'Engle too!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I loved Roald Dahl as a child! James and the Giant Peach and The BFG were my favorites.
    James & the GP was the first 'long' paperback book without lots of pictures that I read on my own. It was such a big deal when I finished it.

Speaking of Roald Dahl, I was watching TV a few weeks back (the program was a daily chat show where they debate stuff) and they were talking about the Hollywood version of The Fantastic Mr. Fox and all the British people were unhappy about all the baddies in the movie being British and all the goodies were voiced by Americans. Some people really have a chip on their shoulder here.

On a totally unrelated topic....I talked to my mom on Sunday and I always ask her how her church service was (don't know if y'all remember but she's the recovering alcoholic who hasn't drunk a drop since having a revelation at church) and she said, "It got hostile today at Sunday school." Now, the back story to this is that my mother is a proper hillbilly....like, she is 1 of 11 children who lived in a shack in the Ozark mountains; she dropped out of school at 14 to help raise the younger kids; she says things like "cheer" for "chair" and "scoo" for "school." So, any how, she said she asked the class, "does the Bible say that people should stick to their own tribes, meaning white people should only marry white people, etc." She said one guy said to her, "what bible are you reading, one the klan wrote?" and she got all sorts of comments like that. I kind of feel bad for her that it was totally an innocent question from her and she was only wanting someone to give her an answer, but I'm glad they set her straight. Another time, she told me that one of her brothers won't join the church because he said that if he does join and continues sinning that he'd be cursed. I told her to ask her preacher if that was true and of course he told her that her brother was talking rubbish. All this church stuff with my mother is fun and games! :S

I've never read Uncle Tom's Cabin; I'll have to put that on my list to read. Somone told me to read Jude the Obscure but told me it's very depressing. I'm intrigued to read it now. I might ask for an e-reader for Christmas or maybe my 30th birthday this year.
    I'm thinking I want an e-reader too. I downloaded the Kindle App to my BlackBerry to give it a whirl. Uncle Tom's was one of the free books offered on the first page, and since it's always been on my 'to read' list I chose that one to start with. I'm actually liking reading off an e-reader more than I thought I would.

Bobbie is a book snob and insists it simply cannot be the same as reading from a 'real' book.

On a totally unrelated topic....I talked to my mom on Sunday and I always ask her how her church service was (don't know if y'all remember but she's the recovering alcoholic who hasn't drunk a drop since having a revelation at church) and she said, "It got hostile today at Sunday school." Now, the back story to this is that my mother is a proper hillbilly....like, she is 1 of 11 children who lived in a shack in the Ozark mountains; she dropped out of school at 14 to help raise the younger kids; she says things like "cheer" for "chair" and "scoo" for "school." So, any how, she said she asked the class, "does the Bible say that people should stick to their own tribes, meaning white people should only marry white people, etc." She said one guy said to her, "what bible are you reading, one the klan wrote?" and she got all sorts of comments like that. I kind of feel bad for her that it was totally an innocent question from her and she was only wanting someone to give her an answer, but I'm glad they set her straight. Another time, she told me that one of her brothers won't join the church because he said that if he does join and continues sinning that he'd be cursed. I told her to ask her preacher if that was true and of course he told her that her brother was talking rubbish. All this church stuff with my mother is fun and games! :S
    Ugh-I wouldn't be able to cope with hearing those stories as well as you seem to. My mother went through phases of going to church, and I found I just couldn't listen to it.

I love my Kindle. It's so comfortable to hold. My dad gave me a Kindle cover that opens like a book and I actually find that more awkward because the side with the Kindle on it is so much heavier. So I fold back the empty side. The cover is cool though because it has a light built into it that pulls out.