Page 652 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1525526026426506516526536546627027521152 ... LastLast
Results 19,531 to 19,560 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    and You never know how such a simple thing may make a tremendous impact in her life.
    In my imagination she is going to grow up to be a rocket scientist or a doctor or President of the United States. All because of those books.

Then again, maybe not, but I'd love to think so!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I think there were a lot of things that helped me survive my childhood, and books are definitely at the top of the list. They were my escape, my window into a 'normal' world. Without them, I wouldn't have a clue how a whole family functions.

So even if your little girl doesn't grow to be the President of the United States, maybe she'll be the first in her family to go to college and get a degree. That in itself is a win that is immeasurable.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I think there were a lot of things that helped me survive my childhood, and books are definitely at the top of the list. They were my escape, my window into a 'normal' world. Without them, I wouldn't have a clue how a whole family functions.

So even if your little girl doesn't grow to be the President of the United States, maybe she'll be the first in her family to go to college and get a degree. That in itself is a win that is immeasurable.
    Yes, I agree.

And I read a lot as a child. I didn't have the challenges at home that you did, but I did not do well socially as a child and I think I learned how people think and act just as much if not more through reading than from interacting with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Yes, I agree.

And I read a lot as a child. I didn't have the challenges at home that you did, but I did not do well socially as a child and I think I learned how people think and act just as much if not more through reading than from interacting with people.
    This too. I didn't gain popularity until I blossomed, put on tight, ripped jeans, and teased my hair.

I didn't do those things - but I'm not sure I ever gained popularity, either!

At that point in my life, I didn't gain the good kind of popularity. But I have some good stories!

At that point in my life, I didn't gain the good kind of popularity. But I have some good stories!
    Oh, so do I!

Oh God Erin that just breaks my heart. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. How unfair.

This exactly. I cannot even imagine. I got to grow up thinking that cops are there to help us if I ever got lost or something. It truly is unfair.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Big shocker here....but I'm another one who read a lot as a child. It's funny because my parents really don't read much....the newspaper, sometimes magazines....but never really books. Mom always read to us though and said books are your friends and really encouraged reading....and both us girls read a lot today. Wasn't much of a surprise to anyone when I finally decided library science was the grad degree i was going to go for (and here I thought I had some big revelation! LOL)

Oh and Chrissy, i would be inclined to be more mad at Jesi but than again I think that my mom would have totally gone off on me for that. And I'm SHOCKED at how much a seat belt ticket would be!!!! Holy Shyt. Ours in WI are only $10. I wear mine now but when I was fatter before surgery, I didn't because they didn't fit and I was too embarrassed to get extensions for our cars.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I used to read a whole ton when I was a kid. I couldn't go anywhere without a book, and I learned to read when I was preschool age. (without those "your baby can read" programs, too, LOL)
    I read the heck out of the babysitters club, the little house on the prairie series, Pippi, sweet valley twins/high, and Ramona.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    ... And I'm SHOCKED at how much a seat belt ticket would be!!!! Holy Shyt. Ours in WI are only $10....
    Everything is uber expensive in NY, especially at the DMV.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I used to read a whole ton when I was a kid. I couldn't go anywhere without a book, and I learned to read when I was preschool age. (without those "your baby can read" programs, too, LOL)
    I read the heck out of the babysitters club, the little house on the prairie series, Pippi, sweet valley twins/high, and Ramona.
    I LOVED the Little House series! One of the first sets I bought Bobbie was them...and unfortunately none of my girls liked those stories as much as I did. heck, I've re-read them as an adult because we have them. I think Sydney read them once, but I don't think Bobbie or Jesi ever read them. What's wrong with those girls?

I also loved Sweet Valley and Ramona. Any Judy Blume or Beverly Cleary book was an instant fave for me.

Did any of you read Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing and/or Superfudge? Those were two more of my all-time favorites that I read over and over again.

Yes, I read those too Chrissy! But I don't remember what they're about now.
    Ditto the Judy Blume.
    I also read the Anne of Green Gables books and I keep thinking about getting the tv miniseries to watch again. It was so good. I don't know if Josh would tolerate it though.
    Is anyone here a Dr. Who fan? We watched an episode last night on netflix and it was interesting. I think DH thinks it's too outrageous though.

Love Dr. Who! It is ridiculously over the top and whip-smart at the same time.

I love the Little House books.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I guess I was expecting Dr. Who to be more serious, like X-files. Even though some of the cases were totally improbable they still approached it like it could actually happen. This...was just ridiculous. LOL

I think once I get used to the style I might really like it.

Bobbie is a huge Dr. Who fan. She'd love you! I don't really know anything about it.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 05-10-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Oh no Chrissy! Did you leave APA open?

I LOVED the Little House series! One of the first sets I bought Bobbie was them...and unfortunately none of my girls liked those stories as much as I did. heck, I've re-read them as an adult because we have them. I think Sydney read them once, but I don't think Bobbie or Jesi ever read them. What's wrong with those girls?

I also loved Sweet Valley and Ramona. Any Judy Blume or Beverly Cleary book was an instant fave for me.

Did any of you read Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing and/or Superfudge? Those were two more of my all-time favorites that I read over and over again.
    I LOVED little house on the prairie. I actually thought my Dad should build me a covered wagon to play in....think he might have if the yard had more space in it. Actually, the Little House in the Big Woods takes place not all that far from where I live. (probably about an hour or less of a drive) They have a kind of museum or something that I keep meaning to go visit with my mom when she's up here but we always end up having to do other things.

Did a few Sweet Valley but wasn't into those as much. Did pretty much every Judy Blume but liked Are you there God, it's me Margaret, Staring Sally J. Freedmen as herself, and Forever. Also read most of the Babysitters Club.....at least the first of the series, maybe the first 10-15?

But my all time favorites are Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew....read some of the early ones but I have every case files one (read multiple times each even as an adult), all the ones with her and the Hardy boys together, and the ones where Nancy, Bess and George finally go to college.

I really wish that they had Young Adult books when I was that age....I have read some as an adult and LOVE them....one of the classes I took in grad school was YA lit (this was when I was going to be a childrens/ya librarian). Since they didn't, I basically moved on to Danielle Steel and things like Gone with the Wind when I was in fifth grade.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Last edited by missychrissy; 05-10-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Last edited by Cosmosmom; 05-10-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew! Yes!
    They didn't have young adult books? I thought they did. I do kind of remember going right to Stephen King and other questionable books when I was in middle school though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I LOVED little house on the prairie. I actually thought my Dad should build me a covered wagon to play in....think he might have if the yard had more space in it. Actually, the Little House in the Big Woods takes place not all that far from where I live. (probably about an hour or less of a drive) They have a kind of museum or something that I keep meaning to go visit with my mom when she's up here but we always end up having to do other things.

Did a few Sweet Valley but wasn't into those as much. Did pretty much every Judy Blume but liked Are you there God, it's me Margaret, Staring Sally J. Freedmen as herself, and Forever. Also read most of the Babysitters Club.....at least the first of the series, maybe the first 10-15?

But my all time favorites are Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew....read some of the early ones but I have every case files one (read multiple times each even as an adult), all the ones with her and the Hardy boys together, and the ones where Nancy, Bess and George finally go to college.

I really wish that they had Young Adult books when I was that age....I have read some as an adult and LOVE them....one of the classes I took in grad school was YA lit (this was when I was going to be a childrens/ya librarian). Since they didn't, I basically moved on to Danielle Steel and things like Gone with the Wind when I was in fifth grade.
    I liked that Are You There God...It's Me, Margaret too. I read that one a number of times...and Gone With The Wind is still a book I read often.

I'd love to visit that museum Jennifer.

Ya know, I keep thinking I should do something more productive while Josh is at school, but the truth is I love coming home and yakking with you guys and watching Nate Berkus. LOL

Last edited by missychrissy; 05-10-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Ya know, I keep thinking I should do something more productive while Josh is at school, but the truth is I love coming home and yakking with you guys and watching Nate Berkus. LOL
    Sounds productive to me! Anyway, I need you! If I had to sit here with my own thoughts/worries all day, I'd totally be insane.

Aww, I feel better then. I've always wanted to be a therapist of sorts.

I remember Super Fudge I think. Was that the one about the dog? I loved all those books you've all mentioned as well as Stone Fox, Number the Stars, Island of the Blue Dolphin, and Where the Red Fern Grows.

Aww, I feel better then. I've always wanted to be a therapist of sorts.
    And I need one!
    Last edited by missychrissy; 05-10-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Moo
    Last edited by daylilies; 05-10-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Last edited by missychrissy; 05-10-2011 at 06:58 PM.

I'd love to visit that museum Jennifer.
    http://www.lauraingallspepin.com/index.htm Birthplace and it looks like there is something in Walnut Grove Minnesota (by the Twin Cities). So not sure if she was born in Pepin and than moved to Walnut Grove before they headed out to the prairies?

We definitely plan on going but I was waiting for my mom and last year we were always so busy when they came up with moving or doing stuff at the house.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36