Page 646 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1465465966366446456466476486566967461146 ... LastLast
Results 19,351 to 19,380 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I think it's real. They've been together for years and when they broke up Kate was offered 10 million dollars to tell all, but she didn't even though William was out with a couple other women. If that's not love, I don't know what is.
    You're right. That is love. And likely went a long way toward their getting back together and his marrying her.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I'd never heard of her until they got engaged. When did they break up?
    They met in college 10 years ago and started dating shortly after. She's a real commoner, unlike Diana whose father was an Earl. Kate's family is very wealthy but they started with nothing so I don't think it could be political. They broke up a 4 or 5 years ago but I don't think they were broken up for very long. I think it's wonderful to see a royal marry someone he truly is in love with. I hope they'll be very happy together and they won't go through all that Charles put Diana through, simply because he wasn't allowed to marry the woman he really loved (Camilla).
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Aw. I never knew much about Diana but she seemed like a lovely woman.

It is 5:20am and Sawyer has been up since 4. This kid. He's all smiles and chatter but not even pretending that he might go back to sleep.

Hahah. What a cutie.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Nice smiley, Bridget. I could have used that oh, a zillion times. I didn't even know it existed. Babies!

We had to replace our blu-ray player so dh picked out a Playstation instead, and bought a game for us to play together. I thought it sounded nice. It was not a high-adrenalin game, more like a puzzle game and it's been getting a lot of good reviews - Portal 2. So the other night he started playing it and then handed the controller to me. I could not do it. I moved around awkwardly, looked up when I meant to look down, and had a really hard time with just the basic concept of the portal system. It wasn't clicking for me. DH told me to put the cross hairs on something and push a button, and I couldn't see the cross hairs he was talking about. It ended up being a blue circle, which he had to point out on the screen. We tried to play again last night. I had a longer turn, and I got more practice just moving around, but when I was trying to solve the puzzle I didn't really have an idea and dh got impatient and said he spent the last 20 minutes just watching me move around the room and I should just hand over the controller and he took it and in 3 seconds he moved on to the next level.

It reminds me of when he's explaining to his mom how to do something really basic on her computer and she's just not getting it. I told him this, and he agreed, but he said he'd been as patient as he could. I used to play video games but it's been like 12 years, and it was a whole different world. I feel like I should be getting this, but it's just not clicking. It's not just the moving around--with a little practice, I was getting better--but the whole premise of opening up portals over objects or below objects and being able to transport things through them and thus being able to solve the puzzles was not connecting for me, even after seeing dh do it. I feel like my brain is not performing like it ought to, and so this seemingly minor thing is looming big and scary and I could see dh losing esteem for me over this, and he will not easily dismiss this as well. I feel like I should practice but don't know when I'd have the time.

Yes, it's pure genius that we are biologically wired to think they are adorable. He smiles at me at 4am and suddenly I'm singing him songs and nibbling his toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Nice smiley, Bridget. I could have used that oh, a zillion times. I didn't even know it existed. Babies!

We had to replace our blu-ray player so dh picked out a Playstation instead, and bought a game for us to play together. I thought it sounded nice. It was not a high-adrenalin game, more like a puzzle game and it's been getting a lot of good reviews - Portal 2. So the other night he started playing it and then handed the controller to me. I could not do it. I moved around awkwardly, looked up when I meant to look down, and had a really hard time with just the basic concept of the portal system. It wasn't clicking for me. DH told me to put the cross hairs on something and push a button, and I couldn't see the cross hairs he was talking about. It ended up being a blue circle, which he had to point out on the screen. We tried to play again last night. I had a longer turn, and I got more practice just moving around, but when I was trying to solve the puzzle I didn't really have an idea and dh got impatient and said he spent the last 20 minutes just watching me move around the room and I should just hand over the controller and he took it and in 3 seconds he moved on to the next level.

It reminds me of when he's explaining to his mom how to do something really basic on her computer and she's just not getting it. I told him this, and he agreed, but he said he'd been as patient as he could. I used to play video games but it's been like 12 years, and it was a whole different world. I feel like I should be getting this, but it's just not clicking. It's not just the moving around--with a little practice, I was getting better--but the whole premise of opening up portals over objects or below objects and being able to transport things through them and thus being able to solve the puzzles was not connecting for me, even after seeing dh do it. I feel like my brain is not performing like it ought to, and so this seemingly minor thing is looming big and scary and I could see dh losing esteem for me over this, and he will not easily dismiss this as well. I feel like I should practice but don't know when I'd have the time.
    Aw, Lydia. I bet if you did practice you'd have it no time. It seems like our brains just go into a different mode when our lives are taken over by mommy-hood. Was it unnerving to have him directing you? Because that would make me perfom even worse.

I agree Lydia, I think you might have an easier time figuring it out if he's not right there. I dunno though, 'cause I'm not really good at those games either. But I don't even try because I don't care. Conner can beat me on almost any game (even Wii Bowling) and I'm totally ok with that. I just figure that part of my brain probably isn't very developed or large (whichever part makes gaming come easy to some).

I have a small dilemma. My landlord knew we were having trouble getting financing. She's been sending emails nearly every other day asking how things are going and repeatedly telling me to keep her posted. I finally sent a letter yesterday via snail mail to her saying that we'll be moving out by the end of July. I wanted to send an official, signed letter so that there's no question of whether they got notice or not.

My question is, should I also email her or just wait till she gets the letter?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I never did like any console games either (we had the wii and we now have xbox 360. It just seemed like a lot of the controls were counter-intuitive. I do much better with computer games where the controls are generally the same for all the MMO's we play. it's always WASD to move, space bar to jump, cluck to open bags, etc.

DH is the same way though when he is trying to explain how to do something. He gets frustrated when someone doesn't get it as fast as he does.

Josh did two new things yesterday. There is a new carousel at the zoo and Josh usually picks the bench or an animal that doesn't move up and down. Yesterday he picked a big tiger that moves up and down. He seemed to be concentrating really hard, he didn't smile at all and he looked a little nervous but he did it
    Then we went to a birthday party and they had one of those bouncy houses with a slide. I was just telling a mother that he never goes down the slide and I looked over and he was going down it. It was seriously the first time I'd ever seen him do it on his own since we tried when he was a toddler and he didn't like it.
    Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera to everything yesterday I am so bad with that.
    click not cluck, lol. I'm outside and there's a lot of glare on my laptop.
    Last edited by daylilies; 04-30-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Way to go Josh! I love when my kids try something they were scared of before. Bravery rocks. And I never remember to bring a camera. Ever. That is why all the pics of my kids are in our house or yard.

We got this awesome microscope that casts the images on the wall and dbf ordered 100 some slides and the kids and him are looking at the stages of a bugs life right now. Savana gets crazy excited about this stuff.

Josh did two new things yesterday. There is a new carousel at the zoo and Josh usually picks the bench or an animal that doesn't move up and down. Yesterday he picked a big tiger that moves up and down. He seemed to be concentrating really hard, he didn't smile at all and he looked a little nervous but he did it
    Then we went to a birthday party and they had one of those bouncy houses with a slide. I was just telling a mother that he never goes down the slide and I looked over and he was going down it. It was seriously the first time I'd ever seen him do it on his own since we tried when he was a toddler and he didn't like it.
    wtg Josh!!! I love those moments too.

Never mind about my earlier question, even though I just sent the letter yesterday, they got it today. Steve (the landlord) just called. He was very nice, but he was kind of pressuring us to write another contract and just stay here for 3+ more years. I really, really hate disappointing people that I've made a promise to. Like you have no idea--I was nearly in tears but firm when I said no.

That's cool!

I know. it's for the better though.

I am planting a rose bush in my front yeard and I can't find my gloves. I hate it when I want to do something then can't find something I need to do said thing I want to do. My boss bought me the rose bush for Administrative Assistant's day. She is so sweet. She remembered that I told her I was thinking of planting one this weekend, and I actually was going to go and buy one. She even got me a $50 Home Depot gift card. I didn't even remember that holiday and didn't think anything of it and thought it was very nice of her. I am very happy I actually have a nice boss, I've never really had a nice boss before that I actually talk to.

Ashley the old folks getting it on is pretty funny!! They were having their own personal storm huh!

And Lydia, I too suck pretty bad at video games. I used to be good at them but am not anymore and like Chrissy don't really care too much. I probably would if DH were into them though, we can be very competitive. I am the Scrabble champ and he is the pool (billiards) champ of the house. I tell him that Scrabble is more intellectual so I am smarter than him, he agrees but says he is smarter with math since pool uses more geography. Oddly enough I used to be an actual billiards champ when I was a kid. We used to have tournaments at the Boys and Girls club and I was always the winner in my age group. I did tell him that when I find time to practice I'm going to wipe the floor with him in pool but that he can never beat me at Scabble. He says he's going to read the dictionary LOL! He will make fun of me in a playful way every time I lose at something against him and I admit he does talk a lot of stuff to me but I will usually do my best to at least get better at whatever it is he beat me in.

Way to go to Josh for riding the Tiger. It is so exciting to see them do something that they are afraid of doing. Elle is also afraid of riding anything that moves. She barely likes carousel's at all. And I am the same, forgetting the camera. I have decided that I will just carry it with me everywhere since my phone takes crappy pictures.

Erin

DH and I try to play scrabble on my ipod touch together, but he gets so frustrated. He finally figured out how to use the bonus spaces to his advantage though.
    Too funny about the rose bush and your gloves-I was looking for my clippers to trim some dead stuff off a bush this morning and I couldn't find them. I ended up finding a different pair that I couldn't figure out how to unlock. I finally figured it out.
    That was sweet of your boss to remember you on that day.

That was very thoughtful of your boss Erin.

I grew up with a pool table in my basement. I remember having to stand on the seat of my tricycle to do a behind the back shot. I was so proud of myself! Well into my teens, that was always my best move! It was the professional style too, so it was larger than what most bars have with much smaller pockets. When I got old enough to play out, I'd kick butt! Not anymore, I'm sure. I haven't played since I was in my early 20's.

We're supposed to be cleaning house today-like megaclean day. We had a deal that each of us would do 2 rooms. I was just starting my second room and Rich came in and said something about getting his ladder so Tim could do something outside. I didn't realize the ladder wasn't actually at our house, and now I'm irritated that he's skipped out on housecleaning day. Grrr.

Since we were also going to shampoo the carpets, I'm tempted to clean his 2 rooms and then make him shampoo all four of them.

Sigh...
    so I've had e mails back and forth with my partner for the church class, and the head of the youth group, and I wasn't sure what topic we were doing tomorrow so I e mailed her and she said "I think you should talk about Islam, and oh by the way Cathy (the woman who helps me) will not be there this week and I haven't found anyone else to help, so you might want to have a plan"
    IT'S TOMORROW! *I* should have a plan? LOL

18. Default

I confess my friend just caught a scammer on Craigslist...

She was looking for a house, and found one that looked good. She was emailing back and forth with the guy, and we drove by to check it out. There was a realty sign out front and it is under contract. The owner of the house died (and the emailer was using his name saying he got transfered and is working in Spain) The owners son has it up for sale....

Sigh...
    so I've had e mails back and forth with my partner for the church class, and the head of the youth group, and I wasn't sure what topic we were doing tomorrow so I e mailed her and she said "I think you should talk about Islam, and oh by the way Cathy (the woman who helps me) will not be there this week and I haven't found anyone else to help, so you might want to have a plan"
    IT'S TOMORROW! *I* should have a plan? LOL
    You should have a plan? Why you? It sounds like she doesn't really know what to do and is expecting you to do all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess my friend just caught a scammer on Craigslist...

She was looking for a house, and found one that looked good. She was emailing back and forth with the guy, and we drove by to check it out. There was a realty sign out front and it is under contract. The owner of the house died (and the emailer was using his name saying he got transfered and is working in Spain) The owners son has it up for sale....
    That's been happening all over. I wouldn't communicate through Craigs List for any real estate at all. It's so sad you can't trust people whatsoever.

Rich still hasn't come inside to help with the house. His two rooms look like hell. I'll probably end up doing them myself.

Don't do it Chrissy! Make him clean them!
    Yeah, I don't know about this church class. I'm about the worst person to teach a world religions class. I'm looking at stuff about Islam and it's kind of coming back to me from like, 7th grade world cultures class, LOL
    I wish this class had a real curriculum instead of having to come up with our own lessons and field trip schedule.

That's really unfair. They really should have some sort of curriculum for you to follow.

I got Rich to do his share...sorta. And not without a fight.

Sorry Chrissy.
    I'm sorta dreading the class today. I was reading about Islam and I just got kind of overwhelmed. All the conflict...I'm not sure I clearly understand it all.
    Oh well, I guess I can mainly stick to the basics.

I would be overwhelmed with such a task too. How did it go?

Our landlords are coming over at 3 today to do a walk-through. I guess they're going to be listing the house for sale. I'm a little nervous although I'm not sure why. We haven't destroyed the place, but we've lived here for 3 years and some things have happened. One of the cupboard doors came off because the hinges pulled through the wood, there's a couple pieces of trim that I knocked with the vacuum and busted off. Our wooden shed got caught in the wind and crushed their tin shed. Eek.

24. Default

Dude.. Chrissy. You have lived there for three years already?! I remember when you posted about moving in.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    Dude.. Chrissy. You have lived there for three years already?! I remember when you posted about moving in.
    8/1 it will be 3 years and we plan on being in our 'old' house by 8/1 this year so it will be 3 years by the time we move out.

We have to start calling our 'old' house something else.

Kate, that does sound like a daunting task. I don't think there are many people who do truly understand it all.

Lydia, about the video game ... I'm sorry your DH reacted that way, but honestly, if he judges you by your ability to play video games he's missing out. You have way too much going for you for him to worry about something so minor in the scheme of things.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I think I hurt my mother's feelings the other day while talking on the phone. Sometimes, I am too honest for my own good. She was talking about how one of my uncles had said to her that he thought I preferred my dad's side of the family to hers, someting along the lines of "she always talks about her Grandma P but never mentions her Granny R, so you can tell she prefers that side of the family." I should have just said 'oh, well what a nice thing to say' but instead, I had to be all honest and say, 'well, I do like my Grandma P more because we grew up with her and she was always there for us while Granny R had her favorites and she never did a thing for us.'

Now, I'm trying to just keep thinking positively about our upcoming visit to the USA instead of thinking of all the family politics that will be going on. I'll see the people I want to see but I'm not going to stress myself out over people's perception of me. My mom's side of the family has always painted me the black sheep since I actually graduated college and didn't go to work at the factory or collect disability checks like the rest of them.

Honestly, absence does make the heart grow fonder for some people, but it also makes the heart grow fungus for others (as the Bare Naked Ladies once said in a song)....

That sounds exactly like my family, except it's my father's mother (Grandma Hopkins) that was more distant to me and my brother than my mother's mom (Grandma Archibald). My Grandma A loves everyone and even though she had 9 kids and countless grandchildren, you never felt like she preferred any one over another. She has a multitude of great-grand kids now, and she attends each and every one of their birthday parties. My Grandma Hopkins, on the other hand, cannot stop herself from bragging about her favorite child, grandchilren, and now great grand children. Even at 35, it stings to feel like I'll never be good enough. As a result, I hardly ever see her. I do feel bad because I know some day she won't be here any longer, but each and every time I talk to her or see her, I cannot mention one good thing about what's going on in my life without hearing about how my cousin did it faster, better, and with more grace. It just makes it so I don't want to talk to her at all. My father even got huffy once when he was out to dinner with her and her church friends. She pulled out pictures of my cousin's kids and my dad asked her, "where's Chrissy's?" She didn't have any with her.

At least my dad is fully aware of his mom's shortcomings. It bothers him too. I don't have to pretend anything in front of him ever. I my dad for that.

I would be overwhelmed with such a task too. How did it go?

Our landlords are coming over at 3 today to do a walk-through. I guess they're going to be listing the house for sale. I'm a little nervous although I'm not sure why. We haven't destroyed the place, but we've lived here for 3 years and some things have happened. One of the cupboard doors came off because the hinges pulled through the wood, there's a couple pieces of trim that I knocked with the vacuum and busted off. Our wooden shed got caught in the wind and crushed their tin shed. Eek.
    Are you ready for this? I got there early and I was looking around at the lists they made about the other religions they'd learned about....Islam was already up there. (wish I'd noticed that before) So we did an overview, but it was so lame. Only two kids showed up anyway. The woman I taught with in the fall was there, and she's pretty knowledgeable, so it wasn't bad. I just felt so lame.
    Good luck on the inspection!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I think I hurt my mother's feelings the other day while talking on the phone. Sometimes, I am too honest for my own good. She was talking about how one of my uncles had said to her that he thought I preferred my dad's side of the family to hers, someting along the lines of "she always talks about her Grandma P but never mentions her Granny R, so you can tell she prefers that side of the family." I should have just said 'oh, well what a nice thing to say' but instead, I had to be all honest and say, 'well, I do like my Grandma P more because we grew up with her and she was always there for us while Granny R had her favorites and she never did a thing for us.'

Now, I'm trying to just keep thinking positively about our upcoming visit to the USA instead of thinking of all the family politics that will be going on. I'll see the people I want to see but I'm not going to stress myself out over people's perception of me. My mom's side of the family has always painted me the black sheep since I actually graduated college and didn't go to work at the factory or collect disability checks like the rest of them.

Honestly, absence does make the heart grow fonder for some people, but it also makes the heart grow fungus for others (as the Bare Naked Ladies once said in a song)....
    Ugh..I'm sorry you have to deal with family politics. And I like the BNL quote.
    Oh guess what! My dad and stepmom came over today for my birthday since I'll be gone on my actual birthday. My dad brought me my NKOTB Hangin' Tough record that he'd hung onto
    They also bought me a Kindle cover with a light.
    Last edited by daylilies; 05-01-2011 at 02:00 PM.

That sounds exactly like my family, except it's my father's mother (Grandma Hopkins) that was more distant to me and my brother than my mother's mom (Grandma Archibald). My Grandma A loves everyone and even though she had 9 kids and countless grandchildren, you never felt like she preferred any one over another. She has a multitude of great-grand kids now, and she attends each and every one of their birthday parties. My Grandma Hopkins, on the other hand, cannot stop herself from bragging about her favorite child, grandchilren, and now great grand children. Even at 35, it stings to feel like I'll never be good enough. As a result, I hardly ever see her. I do feel bad because I know some day she won't be here any longer, but each and every time I talk to her or see her, I cannot mention one good thing about what's going on in my life without hearing about how my cousin did it faster, better, and with more grace. It just makes it so I don't want to talk to her at all. My father even got huffy once when he was out to dinner with her and her church friends. She pulled out pictures of my cousin's kids and my dad asked her, "where's Chrissy's?" She didn't have any with her.

At least my dad is fully aware of his mom's shortcomings. It bothers him too. I don't have to pretend anything in front of him ever. I my dad for that.
    Aw. Well I'm glad you and your dad can comiserate about her unfairness.