Page 639 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1395395896296376386396406416496897391139 ... LastLast
Results 19,141 to 19,170 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Katy, those eggs are gorgeous. Even though you live in TX, I never imagined you with a Southern accent. lol. I think I always think of people with the Midwest accent. DH laughs at me when we go back to AR because he says I go back to a Southern accent and I abandon it when I get back home to England.

Mandy, I hope you sort something out with your parents. My DH only has his mum, dad, sister, brother-in-law and 2 nephews and 1 niece as family here, so family gatherings are always pleasant for the most part (well, there all about the kids now since there are 5 in such a small family).

Travis is excited about the Easter bunny coming to our house tomorrow; he's seen a Hot Wheels Easter Egg we've bought him and has been asking for it for a week and I told him he could have it tomorrow when the Easter bunny takes it to his room. Easter is all about chocolate in the UK.

Oh, and I agree with everyone about the intuition thing. I think it is a lot of subconscious thought and deep knowledge.

Thanks guys...I know I tend to run at the mouth about the new kids and I know if you're not into them, it's really not as exciting to you as it is to me.
    I have no real life friends so I openly admit I can be kind of an attention whore on here.
    Bridget, sorry you saw a disturbing scene in that movie Thanks for the warning.
    Mandy, your dad is funny. He's being a little overenthusiastic, but that's sweet. And his food sounds good (even if it doesn't come out quite right)
    Love the first world problems! I've only come across a couple of them on random websites.
    Is anyone watching Game of Thrones? It looks really good so far, but pretty brutal. It's better than Camelot. Camelot is good but Arthur is portrayed to be this whiny little teenager. I hope he grows up fast!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    love this. I want to know where this forum is, since I have lots of problems that sound exactly like these.

Beware, this is 99% males, and they're not gentle. I like to read it just for the amusement factor. I'm pretty sure that many of these posts are not serious.

http://www.reddit.com/r/firstworldproblems/

The newest one today?

"I need to take a shower but my maid is still cleaning it."

My favorite one ever?

"My family and I have to travel for more than 50 miles to find clean, safe water-"

but then continued below, in the actual post, it continues

"parks. It is so hard when you just want to have a fun family day at a waterpark and you have to drive so far to find one that doesn't make you wonder how chlorinated the water is."

Mandy, your dad's menu sounds quite tasty. I'm glad he's reaching out a hand.

4. Default

my mouth literally started watering when I read "whole orange-apple couscous"

I just discovered couscous and its like a whole new addiction! We made some the other night that had garlic, and chicken seasoning, and garlic and herb feta mixed in... and something else that I can't remember, but it was amazing!

Mmm, I love couscous.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Katy, those eggs are gorgeous. Even though you live in TX, I never imagined you with a Southern accent. lol. I think I always think of people with the Midwest accent. DH laughs at me when we go back to AR because he says I go back to a Southern accent and I abandon it when I get back home to England.
    That's funny, because I don't think I have much of an accent at all!

Wouldn't it be interesting to hear the voice other people have for you? Because you all have distinct voices in my head, which I am sure have nothing to do with how you really speak.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    "My mom got a Droid X and keeps asking me how to use it"
    I'm afraid this sort of thing annoys me to no end and I know I've whined about it. Not my mom, but the faculty at work. They buy these smart phones, can't use them, then get irritated with me when I have to play with it or look up on Google how it's supposed to work. They think that if you're a 'computer person' that means you just automatically know about all the gadgets that come out on the market. I even had one call and ask me about her car stereo last week. And yes...I knew the answer.

I think we all have these little things in life that really aren't problems or complaints, but they make us

Bobbie's party was nice, but her friends couldn't come. She had 3 out of a dozen or so. It's mostly due to the holiday weekend, so many had other plans already. She was ok about it, it was me that was bummed for her sake.

I need to check out that web site. I'm sure I'll see myself in there!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    That's funny, because I don't think I have much of an accent at all!

Wouldn't it be interesting to hear the voice other people have for you? Because you all have distinct voices in my head, which I am sure have nothing to do with how you really speak.
    Or hear everyone speak, like we did you. I'm sure we'd all be surprised.

I was a little taken aback by the southern accent too, but I always am. I went camping with KimJ (a member on here) and she lives in VA. The first time I heard her speak I was surprised at her southern accent.

It's so funny driving down 81S. You stop at various restaurants or gas stations and suddenly everyone is speaking southern. I still haven't found where that line is.

Sawyer has a cold.
    I am nursing him in the living room while Savana and Kai have just announced to me they are cleaning the floors in the hallway, kitchen, and bathroom. I can't see them from where I am. The only thing I know for sure is they have a bucket of soapy water. Should be interesting.

Bridget! You're much braver than I! But I think it's awesome that you're allowing them to attempt it. You're such a good mom

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Oh man, Lydia. Those posts make me want to cry and laugh at the same time. How totally absurd.

I was just watching the movie For Colored Girls and had to turn it off after a very disturbing scene involving children and now I don't think I will sleep.
    I thought the same thing about those posts Lydia!

I have yet to see that movie but I acted out scenes of the original play in college. I haven't let myself watch the movie because I feel it will ruin the play for me, plus I want to re-read the play again before I watch it, from what I remember it would be very difficult to make that play a movie. A lot of my college associates have told me that it is very similar to the play and I am hopeful about that, but I have also heard that new characters were created to make the story more cohesive. I feel that movies ruin a lot of plays (especially books) so I have to give myself time before I watch a movie based on one of my favorite books or plays. I usually end up very upset after watching the movie. I still don't like The Color Purple because it is nothing like the book IMO, even though I actually do like the story of the movie, it is not the book so I feel that the name of the movie should have been changed. But I am very weird when it comes to literature like that.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 04-23-2011 at 09:48 AM.

I was going to comment about the natural remedies you bought for Savannah and I forgot. I hope they do work for her. How are things today?

I confess I was watch the Early Show on CBS and they were making a rack of lamb and I got inspired to actually make an Easter dinner. I have never made one before but I am now considering going to get a rack of lamb.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Bridget! You're much braver than I! But I think it's awesome that you're allowing them to attempt it. You're such a good mom
    When they think they are helping, I don't have the heart to tell them different.
    Kai "helped" me make the waffle batter this morning too by adding the vanilla. They were very vanilla-y.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I thought the same thing about those posts Lydia!

I have yet to see that movie but I acted out scenes of the original play in college. I haven't let myself watch the movie because I feel it will ruin the play for me, plus I want to re-read the play again before I watch it, from what I remember it would be very difficult to make that play a movie. A lot of my college associates have told me that it is very similar to the play and I am hopeful about that, but I have also heard that new characters were created to make the story more cohesive. I feel that movies ruin a lot of plays (especially books) so I have to give myself time before I watch a movie based on one of my favorite books or plays.

Erin
    It was well done and did sort of have a "play" feel to it. I have just become totally incapable of watching bad things happen to children. It plagues my thoughts/dreams for too long after.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I was going to comment about the natural remedies you bought for Savannah and I forgot. I hope they do work for her. How are things today?
    Thanks for asking! Yesterday and today have been great. I am really going to be pleasantly surprised if these work this well. I do think, though, it's a combination of her feeling like she has something to help her control her thoughts and the drops actually helping her stress level. But really, I am noticing several scenarios where I am bracing myself for her to have an outburst and she doesn't. Even Mark said something last night when I told her no and she said, "Ok."

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I confess I was watch the Early Show on CBS and they were making a rack of lamb and I got inspired to actually make an Easter dinner. I have never made one before but I am now considering going to get a rack of lamb.

Erin
    I've never prepared lamb. I have leg of lamb in my freezer right now from a local farmer that she threw in with my beef order and I don't know what to do with it. It's on the bone so I imagine myself making a soup someday. But it will be for my dad and dbf. I don't care for the taste of lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Thanks for asking! Yesterday and today have been great. I am really going to be pleasantly surprised if these work this well. I do think, though, it's a combination of her feeling like she has something to help her control her thoughts and the drops actually helping her stress level. But really, I am noticing several scenarios where I am bracing myself for her to have an outburst and she doesn't. Even Mark said something last night when I told her no and she said, "Ok."
    I remember one of my teachers told us a lot of what works about medication, particularly otc, was faith. He said if he gave us 2 M&M's and told us they'd help us sleep, if we really believed they would help us sleep, then they would.

Maybe that is what's going on, but imo that would be a good thing. It would indicate that there really isn't anything serious. I'm so glad that they're helping her, however they're helping her. Whether they actually are causing some change in her or it's simply a belief thing.

I've never had lamb. Or goat.

My husband had a combination lamb/beef burger at a restaurant one time at my suggestion. He had never had lamb and I thought the combination would be a good way to introduce it. It made him throw up. I don't know if the lamb was bad or what but I don't think I will be able to get him to try it again, LOL. He can't even stand the smell I love it.

Poor Sawyer! That's nice that the kids are doing the floors for you though.
    DH made plans to go to Boston on Easter (he didn't realize it was Easter when he booked the tickets to the Big Apple circus) so I am off the hook for any big Easter dinner. We usually do ham.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Is anyone watching Game of Thrones? It looks really good so far, but pretty brutal. It's better than Camelot. Camelot is good but Arthur is portrayed to be this whiny little teenager. I hope he grows up fast!
    I haven't watched either yet but I read the book Game of Thrones when it came out. It was very brutal, but well written and I enjoyed it. I remember the author ex boyfriend hated it and ranted about it - he didn't care much when other people had more successful books. But I did like it. I'm sure I'll watch eventually but like Erin, I tend to feel movies ruin the books they're based from. The movie version of My Sister's Keeper made me furious because I felt like the producers missed the entire message of the book.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Lamb tastes a lot like beef but isn't as good in my opinion. I'll eat it but prefer beef or pork.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I haven't watched either yet but I read the book Game of Thrones when it came out. It was very brutal, but well written and I enjoyed it. I remember the author ex boyfriend hated it and ranted about it - he didn't care much when other people had more successful books. But I did like it. I'm sure I'll watch eventually but like Erin, I tend to feel movies ruin the books they're based from. The movie version of My Sister's Keeper made me furious because I felt like the producers missed the entire message of the book.
    I saw bits and pieces of My Sister's Keeper. Pretty much the whole thing I think. I couldn't stand the mom's character, and the idea of making a child go through those things to keep another child alive made me sick, but maybe I'm missing the message too.
    We just tried to go see Hop and Josh didn't want to stay. It was a little boring. I have a little crush on James Marsden though

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I saw bits and pieces of My Sister's Keeper. Pretty much the whole thing I think. I couldn't stand the mom's character, and the idea of making a child go through those things to keep another child alive made me sick, but maybe I'm missing the message too.
    We just tried to go see Hop and Josh didn't want to stay. It was a little boring. I have a little crush on James Marsden though
    You have to read the book. The message isn't in the movie! And I didn't like the mom's character, either. That's part of the message.

I started one of Jodi Picoult's books (not that one) and I didn't like how it started with a couple characters and then jumped to a completely different bunch of characters. I get confused when that happens and I didn't give it much of a chance. Since I know the Sister's Keeper story (and it doesn't seem to have too many characters) I might give it a chance.

I think all her books switch between characters, but that's a good one. Give it a try.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

There is a HUGE billboard on my way home from work now, paid for by the local atheists group. It says:

The Rapture: You KNOW it's nonsense. 2000 years of "any day now"
    Here is an article about it: http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_1791...e=most_emailed. Apparently it's in response to a bunch of billboards from an Oakland evangelical group predicting the rapture to come on May 21.

That should stir some hot debates Lydia!

My in-laws are in town and they were supposed to have JoJo sleep over at their hotel for the night but as usual they drank too much at dinner and my mil was having trouble walking home from the restaurant so I had to put my foot down and tell them no (not why, of course, because I guess that would be too rude ) I'm sure it would have been fine but I would have been worried all night about what-ifs.

So annoyed - could really have used the morning to sleep in! I hate dealing with people who can't control their drinking. Now they are disappointed, JoJo is disappointed and I am disappointed.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post

My in-laws are in town and they were supposed to have JoJo sleep over at their hotel for the night but as usual they drank too much at dinner and my mil was having trouble walking home from the restaurant so I had to put my foot down and tell them no (not why, of course, because I guess that would be too rude ) I'm sure it would have been fine but I would have been worried all night about what-ifs.

So annoyed - could really have used the morning to sleep in! I hate dealing with people who can't control their drinking. Now they are disappointed, JoJo is disappointed and I am disappointed.
    How thoughtless of them.

Aw, that is too bad Katy.
    About the rapture billboard, I may not agree with the idea of the rapture but I'd hesitate to call it 'nonsense' because that IMO is as wrong as the religious people saying negative things about what atheists believe (or don't believe)
    It's just what they expect us to do, and I'd rather say, you know what, nobody really knows what happens when we die, or when the world is going to end, so let's just agree to disagree.