Page 629 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1295295796196276286296306316396797291129 ... LastLast
Results 18,841 to 18,870 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Heh, I'd rather cook than clean! Good thing DH likes to clean and not cook (well not *likes* it, but does it, LOL)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Man, how did I end up having to do cooking AND cleaning?

Sorry, momentary lapse of feeling sorry for myself. So, Katy, I was looking at your bloggity-blog (heh) and your amazing eggs, and wondering how you do it. Don't give away any secrets or anything, but what is your medium? Or is it different depending on the egg? What do you usually do for the background dye, and how do you get such precise, vibrant lines on top of it, and do you use stickers or stencils at all? If that's too much to give away, can you tell me if the line design is paint or ink? And how do you get such a perfect little round hole for the egg blowing?

Can you tell I'm feeling a little unprofessional? Not that I want to compete with you--I wouldn't have the time or the talent, but I am interested and impressed, as usual, and more curious at this time than at others just because I've been up to my elbows in eggs.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 04-17-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Lydia, DH and I are having a discussion right now about cleaning (well we're done now, hence the ability to post here). Apparently I am an atypical woman because I don't clean 24 hours a day.

4. Default

I confess my aunt passed away at 12:30 am arizona time..

The neurologist report came back that there was no muscle reaction, and therefore no hope, so my uncle signed the DNR, and had them remove the feeding tubes and what not. They said it could be hours, or even days. Thankfully it was not days and we can take comfort in the fact that she is now free of pain.

I'm sorry Ash

I am so sorry, Ash.

Ash, I'm so sorry. Will you be able to attend her funeral?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Lydia, DH and I are having a discussion right now about cleaning (well we're done now, hence the ability to post here). Apparently I am an atypical woman because I don't clean 24 hours a day.
    I'm atypical too then.

Today is Bobbie's 18th birthday. I cannot believe it's been 18 years. It doesn't feel like it at all. Maybe 10. The poor girl is so sick though that I fear I'm going to be taking her to the walk-in tonight after work.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

You have an adult child! Crazy.
    Kate, dbf longs for a clean, clutter free house too and I tell him, A) That only happens when you live alone and B) Then clean it!
    But I do feel like I'm cleaning all the time but I just can't ever get ahead. It drives me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    You have an adult child! Crazy.
    Ironically, I never really thought about it like that. That is crazy!

And yeah, any guy that wants a clean house or sees room for improvement can do it themselves. Lucky for me, Rich is really proactive about housework and if he sees something that he'd like done, he'll do it.

Except actually putting the roll of tp on. He just props the new roll on top of the empty one. wth? He was vacuuming with the shop vac all along the walls and heavy furniture yesterday, getting all the tiny crevices but he can't be bothered with putting the tp on the roll? I won't complain to him about it, but it is a curiosity.

Ash I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cleaning, I don't do as much as DH does. Things tend to bother him long before they do me and he likes it clean and organized. Except the thing that drives me crazy is the frig handles....I know it's not ME touching them with food on my hands and I know Cosmo can't open the frig/freezer. That doesn't seem to bother him but yeah it does me. I spend a lot of time in there and my stainless steel frig is so pretty. So the handles get wiped down pretty much every day.

Yeah we got to see a bunch of portfolios people did in the past before they were picked. Dh and I were definitely drawn to the more simple ones. Something that was organized and easy to follow. He really disliked the ones that had a lot of doo-dads and 3D items. Some stickers or something was fine as long as it fit and didn't over power the pictures.
    I think that i have 24 pages to do.....so of course you want to be you and be realistic since chances are we will have a forever relationship to the birth parents and it is better when it's all a good fit.....but of course you also want to put the best side of you forward.
    I had thought I would be ready for a late May home visit and be on the books in June. Now I'm thinking I might need until late June for a home visit and be on the books in July.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My condolences to you and your family, Ash.

I wish dh minded clutter a little more. Our house is fairly tidy, but he's got these spots of clutter that are very emotional for him - he's got all this stuff on the bottom shelf of the built-in, for example, and every time I ask him about cleaning out a drawer and putting the stuff in there and making the built-in more aesthetically pleasing, he takes it as a personal affront that he doesn't have enough space in the house that is "his" to do with what he wants, and when I point out that he's got an entire two-story separate building in our back yard that he has completely clutterfu- I mean clutterfied, he says it doesn't matter because he can't go out there enough to matter. Or like he worked on our computer 3 months ago, and in the space within the pen around it are a bunch of loose cables, the side of the case because he opened up the cpu and never put it back on, and then of course all the innards are spilling out of it. There are major dust bunnies in there now, but I can't sweep in there because there is too much stuff. Or the wires and components that came with our new tv and blu-ray that we got in November are in our closet. He was supposed to sort through them and see which ones we needed to keep. I've asked him to do it, but he says he doesn't have time and it's one million down on his list of things to do, and Soren does like going in there and chewing on them. When dh sits down on the couch every night and watches 2 or 3 hours of tv, it's hard not to ask why he doesn't have time to do it.

I try really hard to put these things aside in my mind and not let them bother me, but when I see them multiple times a day, every day, it's requires very conscious effort to disregard them, and when I'm more vulnerable from other things like lack of sleep or cranky sick kids, little things tend to bug me more. Then after a day of coughing tantrumy twins and a constantly crying baby, I go in the closet and see that *&^#@! box one more time and I feel rage.

Hmm, I am better at judging that I'm in a bad mood by the tone of my posts than actually just waking up and seeing how I'm feeling. I've had a really bad headache for the past week and I'm pretty sure I had meningitis again. I wrote to my neurologist. It can make me a little irritable, aside from being in pain, and I'm just depressed that I had it twice in a quarter now, after going for five years without it.

DH is really good about putting toilet paper on the roll.

Happy birthday to Bobbie! I hope she feels better!

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Ashley.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Hugs to you and your family Ashley.

Happy Birthday to Bobbie!! I can't imagine one of my kids being 18. Life goes way too fast. Ky and I now wear the same size in shoes and I am just blown away by that. I keep thinking about him squirming to get off of my lap when he was little, he did that as a baby of 5 months, never wanted me to hold him much. Now I feel like I didn't hug him enough, luckily he still likes hugs so I am hugging him more while he is still shorter than me.

Lydia, I feel the same way about being tired, dealing with the kids and other outside forces then coming in my bedroom to relax and having to look at my DH's mountain in the corner of our bedroom. I cleaned up the bedroom this weekend but only moved his mountain into his closet. But it used to cause me tons of rage an anger and I would have to stop myself from cursing at him about the pile of clothes, tools, papers, magazines, and business cards of all things (he has dozens of them from all kinds of people in a pile next to his side of the bed).

DH used to complain about my lack of cleanliness. I actually think our house is pretty clean. His mom is a clean freak (even though she doesn't dust and I do so I am always miserable at her house because of dust allergies so I do point out to him that I am much cleaner than her in that regard). He is used to not seeing any type of toys or clutter or anything. But all the messes that the kids make are cleaned within 20 minutes so I don't see them as a big deal. I had to tell DH that he is not allowed to complain about cleaning when he doesn't clean anything at all. Once cleans and someone else makes a mess and they don't clean up after themselves, THEN he can complain. He agreed to this so now doesn't complain anymore. Oddly enough, I have always thought I was an enabler in him being useless so I stopped cleaning certain areas that DH primarily uses and stopped putting his clothes in his closet and drawers and he is way lazier than I ever was about those things. I don't nag him though except if something stinks. He basically trashed our master bathroom as I stopped using it since he never cleans up after himself and we have an extra bathroom that Elle and I now share. The master bath hadn't been cleaned in over a month. I usually clean bathrooms once a week,DH used to complain that once a week was not enough yet he can go over a month and having it smelling like a sewer in there so go figure.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Man, how did I end up having to do cooking AND cleaning?

Sorry, momentary lapse of feeling sorry for myself. So, Katy, I was looking at your bloggity-blog (heh) and your amazing eggs, and wondering how you do it. Don't give away any secrets or anything, but what is your medium? Or is it different depending on the egg? What do you usually do for the background dye, and how do you get such precise, vibrant lines on top of it, and do you use stickers or stencils at all? If that's too much to give away, can you tell me if the line design is paint or ink? And how do you get such a perfect little round hole for the egg blowing?

Can you tell I'm feeling a little unprofessional? Not that I want to compete with you--I wouldn't have the time or the talent, but I am interested and impressed, as usual, and more curious at this time than at others just because I've been up to my elbows in eggs.

Okay, Lydia! Just for you:

http://katyegg.blogspot.com/2011/04/...-on-decal.html

Wrote it up this morning!

As for the tiny holes, the best thing to do is get a blas-fix egg blower:
    http://www.caning.com/Merchant2/merc...13&Screen=PROD

It comes with a tiny hand drill that is just a faceted semi-pointy metal end that you twist into the bottom of the egg, super-easy. Then you use the syringe end on bellows to blow out the eggy contents. If you plan on every blowing eggs ever again in your life I highly recommend one of these tools - it makes things so much easier!

Some people have success using syringes, too - same idea and it may be easier for you to get some of those. Then you would just get a push pin and punch some holes on the bottom until you have a big enough hole for the needle to go in and some room around it for the egg to come out - it will look more ragged, but it will work.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I had to chuckle about the computer/wires mess Lydia. I'm horrible about them, but thus far have been able to keep mine relegated to various closets, drawers, and cupboards in our house. They are a nightmare, but I cannot toss any out though. You never know when you might need one...and I've had occasion to use all sorts of things.

And Erin-do you ever ask your dh about his bathroom? That would make me hot, especially if he complained that once a week wasn't enough.

Lydia, do you have meningitis now? Is that serious?
    I can't tolerate dbf complaining about any mess when he has way more free time than I do and he will sooner go work on his four wheeler all afternoon than clean the living room.
    He also gets mad that the kitchen doesn't "stay clean" but he happily eats the meals I cook that attribute to that mess.

Yeah, Lydia, I didn't know you had meningitis. Will you battle spells on and off for the rest of your life? From what you mentioned above, I imagine it must be quite difficult some days having 3 little ones to care for.

Bridget, in my case the meningitis isn't usually serious in the short-term, except for the potential to turn into something more serious or to cause longer-term brain damage. It is not the bacterial kind that is contagious and deadly. It is just really painful and unpleasant, and is still an inflammation of the membranes around the brain, so aside from the headache I can have some neurological irritability, can't bend my neck or turn my head well, and I have pain down my spine with each step.

Katy, thank you for the very detailed and amusing explanation. It was awesome. I sent the link to my mom, actually, because I knew she'd be interested in it as well. She did some really neat egg decorating when I was little, with wax and brilliant dyes and then finally pen and ink at the end. I am impressed with how much work and planning and organization it takes to create one of your eggs. Way more than I was imagining. I think your article will only add to the value.

Chrissy, I have a box in the storage shed labeled "cables and wires." It would be very easy for dh to sort out what we need and discard the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Yeah, Lydia, I didn't know you had meningitis. Will you battle spells on and off for the rest of your life? From what you mentioned above, I imagine it must be quite difficult some days having 3 little ones to care for.
    With or without meningitis, actually! Yes, it seems to be chronic and recurring. I started getting it when I was 27, and I would get it about ever 6 months like clockwork. Then after a few years, it slowed down to once a year. Then once every two years. Then until this past January, it had been five years. I have had more spinal taps than you can shake a stick at. When I had my epidural with my first baby and they had trouble getting in, I told them I had a narrow space in the normal spot where they go, and they should go up one level.

Katy, this is what my mom said:
    I did a workshop in Pysanky eggs at one time and have mason jars of aniline dye in a cupboard in Jackson. It is fun. The aniline dye, I believe, is toxic and not recommended for eggs to be eaten or crafts with kids. The colors do turn out so nicely, though. I love the intricate designs on the Ukrainian eggs.

DH does clean, he just wishes I'd do more.
    Josh has been better the last couple days, and I was not well for a night and a day, but I seem to be good now. And I finally lost a pound. LOL

I'm glad both you and Josh are feeling better and yay about losing a pound!

Thanks I eased up on the drinking last week. Usually we have a few drinks on Sat. or Sunday and I would drink Jack and diet cokes. Jack has a lot of calories, and since I don't drink to get smashed (anymore) I figured it would be better to get one of those big bottles of red wine and make that last. It might have been a combination of that and not eating much over the last couple days and being sick.
    It seems like whenever I stop trying, I lose weight, but the down side to that is that I didn't keep track of what I ate very well, so I'm not sure what I did right. I tried to eat more good carbs though. Beans and sweet potatoes, and oatmeal. Maybe that helped too.

Oh Lydia, spinal taps they do not look fun.

When I first got married, my MIL was newly retired and she is a neat freak, so she cleaned for us. Now that I have 2 kids and SIL has 3, she doesn't have time to clean any more. LOL. DH was used to everything being spotless since his mother is OCD about cleanliness. I, on the other hand, grew up with my mom and my sister always doing the cleaning, so I never did anything, so it's been a hard adjustment living as a married couple, cleaning! I do a little more than DH but I have to say he does do a fair share of the work.

Kate, I've found vodka has the most bang for your buck, and is very low in calories. That's not true if you put it in OJ, but if you add it to flavored water (I like the Crystal Light Raspberry myself) it's actually quite good. Each drink is less than 100 calories...I think 80 to be exact.

I go through phases with my cleanliness. I'm far from OCD. I wish I could be OCD about my house. Rich's mom is. If you're not careful, she'll take your coffee cup and wash it before you can get a 2nd cup. It's crazy.

And Erin-do you ever ask your dh about his bathroom? That would make me hot, especially if he complained that once a week wasn't enough.
    I usually say nothing, but I do shake my head and hold my nose any time I have to go in there. I did tell him this weekend that he needed to clean it, only because I could smell it in the bedroom and I didn't want to smell urine while I'm sleeping. I had to go in there recently to get something out of one of my old drawers and it was like a bathroom horror movie! It looked like a film was growing on top of the water in the toilet. So I did tell him last Friday that it was ridiculous and he needed to clean it up or I would send a pic of it to his mother who is always disappointed that he is such a messy man. The bathroom is sparkling now.

I go through phases with my cleanliness. I'm far from OCD. I wish I could be OCD about my house. Rich's mom is. If you're not careful, she'll take your coffee cup and wash it before you can get a 2nd cup. It's crazy.
    I am only OCD about cleanliness when I am angry. DH used to joke about making me mad all the time so I would clean up really well. I admit that since I have gotten older, I rarely ever get upset so my OCD anger cleaning sessions have ceased to exist anymore. And my MIL is the same. She has poured out quite a few of my drinks and washed the cup. She goes overboard when she comes to our house and even though I love her and think she is a sweet lady, it makes me glad that we don't live in the same city because she would drive me crazy. She also will take your plate to wash it before you are finished eating.

Erin

Ooo, I never thought to put vodka in vitamin water. Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Ooo, I never thought to put vodka in vitamin water. Good idea!
    Vitamin Water has a lot of calories! Crystal Lite doesn't.

I like rum (the clear kind) in crystal light....kiwi strawberry is my favorite. I'm sure vodka would be good in too and probably cheaper. But yeah, I have like zero self control so I'm not buying anything in the house this week. Like right now I will say that I would not have a drink tonight....but if it was in the house, I would almost certainly have one to help make me relaxed and sleepy. I would not drink if I had a baby in the house or a child though (and probably would be a lot more tired and hopefully better at falling asleep!). When I do, it's usually just me and Cosmo after DH leaves for work....or if it's a weekend, it's both of us.
    Since I started counting WW points.....again.....today, no drinks for me!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36