Page 599 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 994995495895975985996006016096496991099 ... LastLast
Results 17,941 to 17,970 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Savana is almost 5 and 1/2 though. Developmentally, she should not be having regular fall out screaming fits.
    I don't necessarily say "calm down". I'm just trying to let her know any way I can that she has control. She can make the time out last 2 minutes or 2 hours. It's all up to her.

It could be that she's just regressed a little due to all the stress of having a new baby in the house, but I think you're right to have her evaluated just to see. In conjunction with her OCD-like behaviors, I'd be very concerned too.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I just can't stop blaming myself for everything. It's really stressing me out.

Aw Bridget it's not your fault. Kids go through things and I'm confident you'll get to the bottom of it and help her.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, definitely not your fault. She may be having more stress now than at other times, but you couldn't (nor would you want) to keep her life stress-free forever. Does she have any coping mechanisms for when she starts getting out of control? Like can she take deep breaths and count to ten? Sing the ABCs or chant something? That's what I guide the twins to do when they are getting really upset about something and need help calming down. We practice when they're calm, too, just to help them get the skills down a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    I'm guessing if Savana's problem is really OCD and not (as Lydia mentioned) the general obsessions and compulsions that most children have, it probably started with some anxiety about change in her life, then begin to take root as a compulsion that needs to be completed to assuage the anxiety.
    It occurred to me that you might have thought I was being dismissive of her concerns, and I hope that's not the case. Just to clear it up, I would be reluctant to jump to a diagnosis, but if it's affecting her daily life and your daily life, I think it would be good to have her evaluated. Bridget,

I bought some of those medicine strips for Josh's cold and he made the most terrible face when I gave him one. His eyes started watering and everything. It was sad but kind of funny at the same time. Anyway he's still carrying on about it, even though I have given him water and juice (which he mostly dumped on the floor and spit out--he didn't believe me that it would help). He's drooling everywhere and right now he's spitting it out in the toilet. I'm tempted to try one to see how bad it is!

I would definitely taste one. Let us know how it tastes. Some of the kid's medicine can be downright nasty.

It's not your fault Bridget! (I didn't realize she was 5 and a half, I thought she was younger for some reason)

Oh wow, yeah. It's kind of bitter! Kind of like those chewable Tylenols IIRC.
    I told him medicine isn't supposed to taste good, but that's pretty nasty.

Bummer. Some are better than others. Getting Conner to take anything is always a trip too. I've had to buy 2 or 3 different flavors of stuff before. And now that I think about it, I can't remember which he liked. Probably whatever is emptiest.

Ugh, I have a FB dilemma; 2 people who are distantly related to me (who also go to church with my mother) have sent me friend requests...I've seen them post on other people's pages and it's all religious stuff. Also, these are people that I have never even spoken to in person. Why, oh why, do they want to be my friend on there? I am seriously thinking of deleting my account to save myself the hassle of the hurt feelings, etc that FB seems to create. The main reason I have it is so that my family and friends can see pics of the kids. I might just start a blog instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    It occurred to me that you might have thought I was being dismissive of her concerns, and I hope that's not the case. Just to clear it up, I would be reluctant to jump to a diagnosis, but if it's affecting her daily life and your daily life, I think it would be good to have her evaluated. Bridget,

No! Actually, you saying that was really interesting to me because it made me think about how much of the illness is just dormant in all of us... and it's true that kids have superstitions and magic belief systems that can mirror OCD behavior too.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 03-15-2011 at 03:11 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

I don't have any mega religious people on my fb. I have some friends and a couple family members who will say things like "thank God for this beautiful day" but nobody who goes off on rants. Actually I might have seen one or two rants but I don't even remember who it was or what it said, I just kinda skim it and move on.

Bridget, I'm on my phone right now so can't type well, but I'm wondering if maybe an OT could help you figure out some calming strategies that might work for Savana - like deep pressure. Not my area but there are people who specialize in that and it might help. I agree with Lydia, Dr. first.

And ugh, I hate pedis... There seem to be so many bad ones in my city.

Kate, I was thinking of you all day. I tested a little guy with spina bifida this am. I learned a lot from the experience.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Ugh, I have a FB dilemma; 2 people who are distantly related to me (who also go to church with my mother) have sent me friend requests...I've seen them post on other people's pages and it's all religious stuff. Also, these are people that I have never even spoken to in person. Why, oh why, do they want to be my friend on there? I am seriously thinking of deleting my account to save myself the hassle of the hurt feelings, etc that FB seems to create. The main reason I have it is so that my family and friends can see pics of the kids. I might just start a blog instead.
    I would either not add them, or add them but hide their feeds from my view. I don't really care about hurting people's feelings...I add who I want and remove people that annoy me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I would either not add them, or add them but hide their feeds from my view. I don't really care about hurting people's feelings...I add who I want and remove people that annoy me all the time.
    This is me too. I had to remove a bunch of people a few months ago because I just was getting too upset at seeing cute kid pictures. Seems like everyone in my peer group is on kids two or three.

I hide all the games!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bridget, have you ever watched mary poppins with the kids? When i was having a lot of anxiety and panic attacks in college I went and saw someone. what she had me doing was deep breathing and I was to say superkalifragilisticexpeialadoscious in my head for each breath in and each one out. I still do this if I start to feel it coming on in a the car (traffic jams are a big trigger for me)....and it so helps to just concentrate for a few breathes on breathing as deeply and slowly and concentrating on that one word to break up the panic before it spirals out of control.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    This is me too. I had to remove a bunch of people a few months ago because I just was getting too upset at seeing cute kid pictures. Seems like everyone in my peer group is on kids two or three.

I hide all the games!
    I haven't blocked anyone over kid pictures yet. I have not problem with kid pictures in general and love seeing them on here and hearing everyone's stories, but there is one girl I used to work with who was really rude to me during her pregnancy and she just had her baby. She added me on FB and I didn't want to say no because I have many co-workers on there. I've considered blocking her more than once but haven't done it yet. I feel bad.

But what I have done is block lots of the ads - I guess because I work with kids or just because of my age/gender they send me a lot of ads geared toward stay-at-home moms. I blocked all the "Are you a mom?" ads and when they wanted a reason, I put "offensive." Now I've had two "Are you pregnant?" ads with cute babies and I've reported those as offensive but I'm still getting them. It really does offend me with as long and hard as I've tried and have not gotten pg. Major flaw in the facebook ad system.

I hide all the games!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I haven't blocked anyone over kid pictures yet. I have not problem with kid pictures in general and love seeing them on here and hearing everyone's stories, but there is one girl I used to work with who was really rude to me during her pregnancy and she just had her baby. She added me on FB and I didn't want to say no because I have many co-workers on there. I've considered blocking her more than once but haven't done it yet. I feel bad.

But what I have done is block lots of the ads - I guess because I work with kids or just because of my age/gender they send me a lot of ads geared toward stay-at-home moms. I blocked all the "Are you a mom?" ads and when they wanted a reason, I put "offensive." Now I've had two "Are you pregnant?" ads with cute babies and I've reported those as offensive but I'm still getting them. It really does offend me with as long and hard as I've tried and have not gotten pg. Major flaw in the facebook ad system.
    to you both.

I also hide the game announcements on my feed. I mean, I've played Mafia Wars, but I always opted to not publish my accomplishments. I don't care when someone scores or whatever.

Oh, Wells Fargo said they can do an alternative credit thing for Rich. That's all we had to do was give them our information for joint accounts we have, like the electric, our lease, car insurance and Directv. So I've submitted all that and now we'll see what they say. Sara, the lady from WF that I spoke with, said that she's closed on 2 homes in the last 6 months with couples in our exact situation. Apparently it's not totally uncommon for all the credit accounts to just be in 1 person's name.

Kate, I was thinking of you all day. I tested a little guy with spina bifida this am. I learned a lot from the experience.
    Aww. How did he do? What was he like?

to you both.

I also hide the game announcements on my feed. I mean, I've played Mafia Wars, but I always opted to not publish my accomplishments. I don't care when someone scores or whatever.
    Yeah - I always have hidden that stuff too. I don't understand why people think I would want to read that stuff.

Oh, Wells Fargo said they can do an alternative credit thing for Rich. That's all we had to do was give them our information for joint accounts we have, like the electric, our lease, car insurance and Directv. So I've submitted all that and now we'll see what they say. Sara, the lady from WF that I spoke with, said that she's closed on 2 homes in the last 6 months with couples in our exact situation. Apparently it's not totally uncommon for all the credit accounts to just be in 1 person's name.
    That's great news! I hope you get the house!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Aww. How did he do? What was he like?
    I'll PM you - but it made me really appreciate how lucky you are.

I haven't noticed the ads yet....or maybe I'm just good at tuning them out.
    I haven't deleted all with kids...just a lot who constantly posted pictures and wasn't someone I was close to. I kept Dh's cousin and my BFF (her kids are 7 and almost 3 months old)....my BFF knows in great detail about my struggle and is really supportive of us.

Jan was a pretty hard month and Feb was iffy but now that we are committed to a path, that does help.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That is excellent news!

That was one thing that really worried me was getting everything in Dh's name and so early in the marriage I made sure to get my first credit card and add him instead of the other way around. Course I wasn't thinking about all the student loans in my name.

you would think that if people were married and everything is joint, it should be equal and the same for both but finances are weird like that where certain things are joint and some aren't and depends on which state and just how community property you are.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

you would think that if people were married and everything is joint, it should be equal and the same for both but finances are weird like that where certain things are joint and some aren't and depends on which state and just how community property you are.
    It's very weird here. If I don't pay the bills, the negative will definitely end up on Rich's credit, especially if they can't find me. But none of the positive stuff does? It just seems unfair.

I'm so tired. I think it's the combination of the time change and issues with Jesi. It's really wearing me down. My boss even said I looked tired yesterday.

Jesi has calmed down and stopped acting mad at us. Her teachers have all written to me the most wonderful things about her.

From what I've seen, Jesi is a super student.

Bill
    Hey Becca,

I had Jesi in my group all of today and she was fabulous.
    I can't explain how it makes me feel to have such positive feedback from her teachers, but I did I tell her she doesn't want to become one of those kids that the teachers don't like. Right now they're doing everything they can to be supportive, but if she were to continue skipping...I fear they'd give up on her.

I'm still incredibly tired...like I could lay my head on my desk and just sleep. I think it's a sign I'm becoming depressed because that's how I cope with depression. I sleep it off. I'm not worried yet, between the worry of house buying and the stunts my girls have pulled in recent months, it was bound to wear on me. And forever the optimist, I'm thinking it'll get better, I just have to hang in there.

My father's wife emailed me and 10 minutes later when I did respond fast enough she texted me that her PC that I worked on won't turn on this morning. She never did let me look at it after complaining that it wasn't acting right, just continued using it. Worst.thing.to.do.ever. If your computer is acting funny, get it fixed. Don't keep using it. Of course she wants me to look at it, but I told her not till the weekend. I'm pretty certain I'm going home and napping on the couch tonight.

I hope you get some rest this evening, Chrissy.

I am really annoyed with my work's technology department (again). They installed new web filters and it blocked this site: http://speech-language-therapy.com/

I asked them to un-block it and I apparently have to submit a justification form including my name, grade level taught (the drop-down menu gives Kindergarten-12th grad) and click all the boxes below that say: 1. I am a teacher, 2. This content is appropriate for my student's instructional level and is written into my lesson plans, etc.

1. Iam not a teacher, and 2. I don't write lesson plans or provide instruction to students, and 3. I work with the district's special ed preschool evaluation program. Which apparently the technology department is unaware even exists. And apparently since we don't exist we have no need for quality information to help us do our job. Unbelievable. And shouldn't teachers have access to information for their own professional knowledge and not just sites for the children to look at? That sort of thinking is why education in this country is in such a pathetic state.

I hope so too...
    Josh stayed home from school with a bad cold today It was a couch potato day!

I am really annoyed with my work's technology department (again). They installed new web filters and it blocked this site: http://speech-language-therapy.com/

I asked them to un-block it and I apparently have to submit a justification form including my name, grade level taught (the drop-down menu gives Kindergarten-12th grad) and click all the boxes below that say: 1. I am a teacher, 2. This content is appropriate for my student's instructional level and is written into my lesson plans, etc.

1. Iam not a teacher, and 2. I don't write lesson plans or provide instruction to students, and 3. I work with the district's special ed preschool evaluation program. Which apparently the technology department is unaware even exists. And apparently since we don't exist we have no need for quality information to help us do our job. Unbelievable. And shouldn't teachers have access to information for their own professional knowledge and not just sites for the children to look at? That sort of thinking is why education in this country is in such a pathetic state.

That's sad.
    I'm watching Idol...they're singing songs from their birth years. I'm prepared to feel very old.