Page 502 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2 402 452 492500501502503504 512 552 602 1002 ... LastLast
Results 15,031 to 15,060 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! I just want to let you all know that I do love each of you and this has been a wonderful little corner of the internet for me.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

That is so weird. I was posting that article and was on the preview screen and realized it was double-quoted so I was going to fix it and then somebaby hit a key and I lost the whole thing. I was going to try again but ran out of time in between putting sweet potatoes in the oven and getting breakfast for the twins and coordinating MIL's visit. I even refreshed the page and my post wasn't there. I can't believe it ended up appearing after all that.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I know I have also seen some interesting things about how at least some obesity might be linked to a virus.
    I've seen that, too! I think a lot of these viral links might help explain some-but-not-all, or provide an explanation for why genetics or lifestyle doesn't fully account for all of the cases.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 11-25-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The10Eels View Post
    I confess reality slapped me yesterday concerning the guy.

He's super sweet, but absolutely content being a prep cook / dishwasher.

I am not okay with that.
    I'm sorry to hear that! It sucks to meet someone you really like but who has no ambition. How old is he? I'm thinking if he's on the young side he might mature into wanting more? I confess I don't even know how old *you* are!

I read last week about inherited childhood diabetes and how children prone to it have likely had cow's milk before 6 months old and are lactose intolerant.
    Apparently the initial testing results are over-whelming in favor of this theory.
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! I just want to let you all know that I do love each of you and this has been a wonderful little corner of the internet for me.
    Same here!

I love you guys, too; you're all awesome!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that! It sucks to meet someone you really like but who has no ambition. How old is he? I'm thinking if he's on the young side he might mature into wanting more? I confess I don't even know how old *you* are!
    He is 33.

I am 24

Wow! From the pictures I've seen, you look younger. Yeah..but 33 for him, with still no motivation to move up...that's a shame. It took an opportunity dropping into my lap for me to think about putting myself out there though...maybe he's just aiming low because he doesn't see any other opportunity.
    (I have a business venture coming up...I will talk about it when I'm less tipsy though LOL)
    Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...a couple glasses of wine will do that to you.
    How was everyone's Thanksgiving? Mine went really well. I haven't cooked a whole turkey in years and it was slightly dry but I would rather it be dry than raw, right? It was beautiful, too. Nice and brown all around! Mom and her friend came with birthday presents for Josh then my SIL and her boyfriend came for dessert. It was so nice. Then Josh and DH took off to my inlaws and told me to relax. Don't have to tell me twice!

We still haven't even gone yet. Doing a last-minute nursing session at the computer and then heading up the hill.

Yeah, we did it midafternoon...my mom has to drive 2 hours back through Boston, so we did it early enough so she doesn't hit crazy traffic on the way back, although it's hard to avoid any time of day really.

We just got home from my dad's. It was fun. But sad. Everything is just so different without mom.
    My dad and I enjoy each other's company a lot though and he's so great with the kids. We played with the kids and chatted all day while dbf layed on the couch in and out of sleep. My dad told me a few weeks ago that him and my mom used to talk about how annoying that was that whenever we come over dbf just plops himself in front of the tv and doesn't help with the kids. Not that they minded because they love them dearly but it's just rude. Any time the kids need anything he just sits there and lets someone else do it. I mean, story of my life of course but you'd think when you're visiting your inlaws you'd not just expect them to take over for you.
    I tried to make some comments to him concerning that today like, "Dude, why do you just lay on the couch all day?" and he said, "It's Thanksgiving. That's what Thanksgiving is all about, laying on the couch and watching football." And when I mentioned that my dad and I didn't lay on the couch all day because we were hanging with the kids he said yes, he know. He was "letting my dad enjoy the kids".
    A part of me just really wants to tell him straight up that it's something that my parents discussed at one point but I'm sure my dad never meant for me to say anything to him so I feel like I'd be violating his trust.

I understand Bridget!
    DH was great today...He kept Josh busy while I cooked a few things and then he cleaned up most of it and Josh piped up in front of my mom, "Daddy's doing the dishes because it's his job!" I was like "Shhh!" and he redeemed himself by saying "Mommy does a lot of other things though" It was so funny!
    I want to hear about Chrissy's day...who all showed up?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Likewise, Chrissy.

I actually had an okay Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle's house. I was feeling sad about DH not being around for the holidays but my cousin showed up and her husband, who is a truck driver, had been sent off to Seattle and she was also without a husband so I had some company. Everyone was very nice about it for both of us. I had cousins there from both sides of the family who had never met each other and it went very well.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Bridget, my bil always, without fail, spends every single party asleep on a couch. I don't know why my sister tolerates it, and it's kind of a running joke. I have a series of pictures of him asleep on couches at parties. He doesn't drink and doesn't stay up all night, so that's not it. I guess on the plus side, he doesn't really like parties but he'll go for my sister's sake (she loves them), he'll be her designated driver, and he won't get in her way while she mingles about the room. And they don't have children so it's not like he's failing her except in the looking debonair department.

Gwenn, Bridget, I wish you didn't have to spend Thanksgiving missing people.

Chrissy, I too am anxious to hear how yours went.

I finally, after two weeks of being too sick to work, and even worse, being too sick to be a good mom, decided I still wasn't showing any signs of improvement, decided to call my doctor and I got an antibiotic today. I've been pretty much brain-dead and half zombie for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to work by Monday.

My MIL decided to come up for Thanksgiving but for some reason came Tuesday through Friday instead of through the weekend. Not only that, but she decided to spend Tuesday night in San Francisco and spend all day Wednesday there doing touristy stuff. So she spent a few hours with the twins yesterday evening, and then all morning with them and dh, and then had Thanksgiving with all of us and about 15 other people. And she's leaving mid-day tomorrow but doesn't want to do anything, and she's upset about not having enough time with us. I think she might have planned it a little differently.

DH falls asleep at social gatherings. He doesn't deliberately go to the couch and lie down but he'll doze off in his chair just listening to us talk. He has a bit of social anxiety I think, and I think that's like his defense mechanism. Even when we don't have to travel it happens. I caught him dozing here yesterday when my mom was here.

I fall asleep after a few glasses of wine wherever I am! My bil is like that with his kids though and it annoys everyone. Wondering how Chrissy's Thanksgiving went too!

I can see dozing off here and there. I don't know. Maybe I'm a little resentful because sneaking a nap in whenever I feel like it hasn't been option for me in, oh, about five years.

My dad sent home all the leftover turkey with me along with the carcass, plus all the fresh veggies I have make me really stoked for making loads of soup. I can freeze some right? I am currently in preparation to try making a freezing a bunch of meals and plan to shop on saturday to get all my ingredients. Lydia, you do that right? The once a month cooking? Any tips?

Happy belated thanksgiving!

Yes Bridget, you can freeze it now or later. I have a frozen carcass and miscellaneous stuff waiting for soup...

I cooked dinner for 15 yesterday and had a great time. Now all my boys, Gus included, have a cold.

Anyone ever had a sick young baby and have advice? Sigh. Oscar didn't get sick until he was much older.

Oh, Stacy! How sick? Soren got a little sick when we went to Wyoming at just over a month, I guess about the same age as Gus. The rest of us got really sick, and Soren mostly got a little sniffly and unhappy, but he'd already started the colic so the unhappiness was nothing new. Soren is now on his second or third cold--the twins weren't sick until about a year old, and I think such is the life of a younger sibling.

All I did with Soren is keep squirting breastmilk in his nose. He never got a fever (not that I could really check it, because we were traveling, but he didn't seem hot), didn't have any trouble breathing, but if he did I would have taken him in.

It is amazing how when you don't have any control over boogers, they just build up and build up and can pretty much block the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I can see dozing off here and there. I don't know. Maybe I'm a little resentful because sneaking a nap in whenever I feel like it hasn't been option for me in, oh, about five years.

My dad sent home all the leftover turkey with me along with the carcass, plus all the fresh veggies I have make me really stoked for making loads of soup. I can freeze some right? I am currently in preparation to try making a freezing a bunch of meals and plan to shop on saturday to get all my ingredients. Lydia, you do that right? The once a month cooking? Any tips?
    I have had one nap since the twins were born.

I don't do once-a-month cooking. I have frozen foods in the past, but not on a regular basis and not in bulk. Right now, I don't even have room for ice cubes because my entire freezer is full of breastmilk. I think I had about 8 casseroles frozen when Soren was born, big enough for two meals' worth, and then dh decided he need to go on this low-carb diet and most of them were not acceptable.

Pastas, soups, and rice dishes are pretty easy to freeze.

Thanks Lydia, not too sick yet. A little stuffy, and he seems a little uncomfy. I started with milk up the nose yesterday... thank goodness I knew that already.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    I fall asleep after a few glasses of wine wherever I am! My bil is like that with his kids though and it annoys everyone. Wondering how Chrissy's Thanksgiving went too!
    DH doesn't even drink wine! LOL

Yeah, you can freeze almost anything...If you make soup with pasta I recommend freezing the soup without the pasta in it
    I froze the turkey carcass and I'm probably making a turkey pot pie with the carved leftovers today.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Thanks Lydia, not too sick yet. A little stuffy, and he seems a little uncomfy. I started with milk up the nose yesterday... thank goodness I knew that already.
    Out of all of the illnesses we've had, Soren has been the least sick out of all of us. No matter what. He and I have been sick for two weeks so far this time, but I have been barely able to stand up and function, and he has learned how to crawl in the same time period.

How was everyone's Thanksgiving? Mine went really well. I haven't cooked a whole turkey in years and it was slightly dry but I would rather it be dry than raw, right? It was beautiful, too. Nice and brown all around! Mom and her friend came with birthday presents for Josh then my SIL and her boyfriend came for dessert. It was so nice. Then Josh and DH took off to my inlaws and told me to relax. Don't have to tell me twice!
    Sounds great! I wouldn't worry too much about the turkey being a little dry. I swear I make mine the exact same way and have for over 10 years and it's hit or miss whether the breast is dry or not. This year is was juicy, but it's pure luck. lol

Yay for dh taking Josh to his parents! That's great!

We just got home from my dad's. It was fun. But sad. Everything is just so different without mom.
    My dad and I enjoy each other's company a lot though and he's so great with the kids. We played with the kids and chatted all day while dbf layed on the couch in and out of sleep. My dad told me a few weeks ago that him and my mom used to talk about how annoying that was that whenever we come over dbf just plops himself in front of the tv and doesn't help with the kids. Not that they minded because they love them dearly but it's just rude. Any time the kids need anything he just sits there and lets someone else do it. I mean, story of my life of course but you'd think when you're visiting your inlaws you'd not just expect them to take over for you.
    I tried to make some comments to him concerning that today like, "Dude, why do you just lay on the couch all day?" and he said, "It's Thanksgiving. That's what Thanksgiving is all about, laying on the couch and watching football." And when I mentioned that my dad and I didn't lay on the couch all day because we were hanging with the kids he said yes, he know. He was "letting my dad enjoy the kids".
    A part of me just really wants to tell him straight up that it's something that my parents discussed at one point but I'm sure my dad never meant for me to say anything to him so I feel like I'd be violating his trust.
    Um, when does he ever 'enjoy' his own kids on the same level he seems to expect their grandfather to 'enjoy' them? I'm so sorry Bridget...I know he has good qualities, he must or you wouldn't be with him, but I really feel resentment toward him on your behalf. I wish wish wish he'd help you out.

Your dad, on the other hand, sounds like the perfect man. I'm so glad you have him in your life....and it's very telling that your parents noticed and talked about how your dbf is with the kids. imo, it shows how remarkable they are because they never said anything to him themselves.

Lesson for me in the future---if my son-in-law is a lazy bum, do NOT come screeching into the living about when he's going to get up and help with his kids. That would be hard.

I understand Bridget!
    DH was great today...He kept Josh busy while I cooked a few things and then he cleaned up most of it and Josh piped up in front of my mom, "Daddy's doing the dishes because it's his job!" I was like "Shhh!" and he redeemed himself by saying "Mommy does a lot of other things though" It was so funny!
    I want to hear about Chrissy's day...who all showed up?
    Josh is too cute!!

Mine was great---one of the funniest Thanksgivings ever because of my brother Tim and Conner. omg-those two are quite a pair! Tim loves to pick on mom and he was really going at it when Conner piped up and mimicked what Tim was saying. When it got to them imitating my mother's laugh, I had to sprint for the bathroom and my poor mom did wet her pants a little bit from laughing so hard. I had tears pouring out of my eyes...it was too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Out of all of the illnesses we've had, Soren has been the least sick out of all of us. No matter what. He and I have been sick for two weeks so far this time, but I have been barely able to stand up and function, and he has learned how to crawl in the same time period.
    I hope you feel better...but isn't it amazing he's able to learn to crawl despite feeling so sick?
    Last edited by missychrissy; 11-26-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Glad your Thanksgiving was good Chrissy! Whatever happened with Thomas and his family though? (that's the kid's name, right?)
    I forgot to put foil over the breast at some point, which the Butterball directions call for. I was supposed to do it around the time company came, and I got caught up in too much other stuff.

Glad your Thanksgiving was good Chrissy! Whatever happened with Thomas and his family though? (that's the kid's name, right?)
    I forgot to put foil over the breast at some point, which the Butterball directions call for. I was supposed to do it around the time company came, and I got caught up in too much other stuff.
    Oh, that's what I do different than the instructions and maybe why my breast was juicier this year....I leave the foil on from the beginning and only take it off for the last 20 minutes or so just to brown up the skin.

I must have forgot to post, but Thomas's family decided not to come this year after all because his sister (that lives in Long Island) decided to come up. It's been planned for quite a while that Bobbie would have dinner at their house. Thursday morning, Thomas's mom said that she didn't want Bobbie over after all because she wanted it to be just the family. Bobbie was disappointed, but considering the news I thought she took it very well. I'm sure I would have been crying about it when I was her age. Later, the mother changed her mind and let Bobbie come over after all. I'm sure I don't like that woman one bit.

Bobbie said they're very strange. The parents serve the kids--even the adult kids. They can't even get their 2nd helpings themselves and have to wait for the parents to finish their 1st plates, then get them what they want. They also prepare certain dishes for the adults only that the 'kids' can't have...like green bean casserole. What's wrong with making enough for everybody to have some? I hate people that act like the adults are somehow better and more deserving that the children...and heck, we're not even talking about children. Thomas is 19 and his sister is 20-something and even they had to be waited on and couldn't have certain dishes.

Yeah, I'm certain I dislike his family very much. I do like Thomas a lot though, so I wouldn't ever say anything about his family to him.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 11-26-2010 at 03:16 PM.

That's odd...too bad you couldn't have them over so you could show them how it's done
    Glad Bobbie took it well though.

That is really weird. Even baby Soren had some green bean casserole. Although I have to admit, I did serve him.

That is strange . I have never heard of adults serving adult "kids" that is weird.

We had a great Thanksgiving. Only our little family and an old friend of mine who used to be my roommate came. He doesn't have any family in town and found me on Facebook and so I invited him. He is really silly because he told me he was gay and that he hoped I would still be his friend and not be a homophobe. I actually laughed at him. He was my roommate for 2 years and I always thought he was gay, which is why he was my roommate. But we had a great time and he is still a riot and has had an interesting 10 years since I last saw him. I had just found out I was PG with Ky before we lost touch.

Oh, and Ashley that is too bad about your new guy friend. I will share though that my dad who is a recovering addict did tell me that when people get sober or off of drugs that they are basically at the same age level that they were when they initially started using so he may mature, but I dont' know if you would want to wait.

Erin