Page 436 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3363864264344354364374384464865369361436 ... LastLast
Results 13,051 to 13,080 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannasmoms43 View Post
    I confess that I have slept in the same bed, and just slept, with a guy friend, so I don't see the difference...
    exactly

and I confess I am going to ask her what kind of bed she has, because it is SOOO comfy... I slept like a baby!!

shutterbird Guest

I need help planning this scheme of mine. Who wants to help?

I mentioned before that my mom and I were planning on surprising my dad with Lore and I coming up to visit a week early. Well DH got his panties in a bunch because it would conflict with his work schedule (he has to drop us off) and totally ruin his overtime, which we could really use. So I re-booked the flight for a day earlier, the earliest possible flight out. Here's what I'm trying to decide:

A. Stick with getting my mom to pick me up. We will surprise my dad when he comes home in the PM.
    B. Get my dad to pick me up and totally throw my mom off.
    C. Get my aunt (doesn't work) to get us and surprise my mom, and then my dad in the PM.

I'm leaning towards C, because hey - double surprise. The only thing... my aunt can't keep her freaking mouth shut. Usually. I think she might be able to hold this in, but I'm scared she might leak a little to my mom... and if she does, it'll just be a surprise for my dad.

What should I do?

Oh, and my family has a history of just "popping in" and Surprise! They won't think I'm inconsiderate or rude for just popping in.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Can you take a SuperShuttle or taxi and surprise all of them?

C! Or Lydia's idea, but with a toddler and suitcases it might be a bit much.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

shutterbird Guest

I just asked my aunt and she's in.... now to see how long it takes her to open her mouth! LOL!

I would have taken a taxi, but it's an hour from the airport! It would probably be cheaper to rent a car from the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    I confess I am so exhausted I could cry just to cry!

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    I just asked my aunt and she's in.... now to see how long it takes her to open her mouth! LOL!

I would have taken a taxi, but it's an hour from the airport! It would probably be cheaper to rent a car from the airport.
    Neat idea! Hope she keeps it a secret

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

I hope she keeps the secret too-how fun if it works out!! But, if she doesn't, at least you'll still be able to surprise Dad, which was the original plan anyway. These things make me giddy

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Kim, I'm so excited for your family to be surprised by you!

I did that once when I was still living in Hawaii. I came home for Christmas with Savana who was 2 months old and only told my sil. I'll never forget the look on my mom's face and the first words out of her mouth were, "Are you back forever?" Brings tears to my eyes to think about it.

Yay you!

I confess that I am a tad bit evil.

When Savana was a toddler she was extremely difficult. I took a lot of crap from dbf's mom about how I was doing so many things wrong and enabling her to act that way. Then when Kai was born and Savana became even more challenging and Kai was really needy, I got comments from all sides of his family about how unbelievable it was the way they acted and it's a good thing they had me for a mom because they don't know anyone else who could handle them. Like they were these heathen children. I always knew in my heart, and with plenty of reassurance form the ladies here and from my mom that my kids were just fine.

And sure enough they are. Savana is a far cry from that screaming and flailing 2 year old as most 4-5 year old are, right? Except that dbf's nephew, an only child was apparently the most perfect child in the world and never did a thing wrong or threw a tantrum. And believe me, the comparisons were plenty brought up often during visits.

And he's here visiting now at 10 years old and being a pretty difficult, whiny, kind of jerk who wants to do nothing but play video games and eat junk food.

And way, way, way deep down where no one will ever see....I'm gloating. SHHHHHH.
    Last edited by Bridget; 08-15-2010 at 07:30 PM.

LOL Bridget. I believe that every child has at least one tough phase. If people gloat that their kid never had the terrible 2's, or 3's, or anything...watch out, because they'll probably be one hell of a teen or preteen.
    I confess I got a ticket to the nkotb cruise next May...

There's no such thing as a perfect child, and I often think that people that brag about theirs so much are trying to convince themselves of their kids perfection as much as anyone else. They go through phases. It's life.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    There's no such thing as a perfect child, and I often think that people that brag about theirs so much are trying to convince themselves of their kids perfection as much as anyone else. They go through phases. It's life.
    Exactly. That's what was so frustrating about the comments. They were already pinning labels on Savana when she was 2! I was pretty sure she wasn't going to throw a tantrum every time it was time to get dressed for the rest of her life.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I don't blame you for gloating, Bridget.

The funniest thing has been happening to me lately. Perfect strangers and other moms have been complimenting me on the twins' behavior. The other day I was at a Moms of Multiples get-together at a playground, and Ronin wandered off. I was watching him, and when he got too far I yelled "Stop, Ronin! Come back!" and he turned around, smiled at me, said "I'm coming back right now" and proceeded to trot over to me. One of the other moms stared and said "How did you get him to do that?" And then my twins took a used diaper from me over to the trash, and then proceeded to help clean up the garbage from the other families.

I felt a little uncomfortable with the tinge of jealousy and admiration I was catching from the other moms, and wanted to say "But they're totally wild at other times!" and I wanted to confess that their behavior leaves me frustrated a lot, but it was hard to say when they were behaving like such perfect children.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I was pretty sure she wasn't going to throw a tantrum every time it was time to get dressed for the rest of her life.
    You've never met my sister, have you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    You've never met my sister, have you?
    Actually, what am I even talking about? I live with a man who still throws tantrums!

LOL!

Go ahead and gloat!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

The funniest thing has been happening to me lately. Perfect strangers and other moms have been complimenting me on the twins' behavior. The other day I was at a Moms of Multiples get-together at a playground, and Ronin wandered off. I was watching him, and when he got too far I yelled "Stop, Ronin! Come back!" and he turned around, smiled at me, said "I'm coming back right now" and proceeded to trot over to me. One of the other moms stared and said "How did you get him to do that?" And then my twins took a used diaper from me over to the trash, and then proceeded to help clean up the garbage from the other families.

I felt a little uncomfortable with the tinge of jealousy and admiration I was catching from the other moms, and wanted to say "But they're totally wild at other times!" and I wanted to confess that their behavior leaves me frustrated a lot, but it was hard to say when they were behaving like such perfect children.
    I think that's precious! Just enjoy those moments when you can. I bet they're absolutely adorable!!

Gloat, Bridget. I hate the attitude people take about other people's children. PARTICULARLY what drives me nuts is people who aren't parents yet, or people who have younger children, who judge the behavior of an older child like "my children won't behave that way because I will x, y, or z." They don't get that no matter what you DO your children are CHILDREN and they'll act like nutcases at some point about something.

Like, did I ever think my four year old would be a world-class whiner? Er, nope.

I confess that I ended up at http://nolongerquivering.com after following a link in a post here on APA. (In the Random room, not this room.)

I confess that reading it has left me sad and frustrated for the sheeple who are in the movement, and especially for those who are born into it.

I confess that this is my first secular confession.
    Me: 35, DH: 44, DS: 5

Hi Laura, welcome! And geez. Yeah, I can't read that. That's torturous and twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by LupeLauraly View Post
    I confess that I ended up at http://nolongerquivering.com after following a link in a post here on APA. (In the Random room, not this room.)

I confess that reading it has left me sad and frustrated for the sheeple who are in the movement, and especially for those who are born into it.

I confess that this is my first secular confession.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Gloat, Bridget. I hate the attitude people take about other people's children. PARTICULARLY what drives me nuts is people who aren't parents yet, or people who have younger children, who judge the behavior of an older child like "my children won't behave that way because I will x, y, or z." They don't get that no matter what you DO your children are CHILDREN and they'll act like nutcases at some point about something.

Like, did I ever think my four year old would be a world-class whiner? Er, nope.
    My favorites are the ones who believe they will absolutely know at all times where their teens are, who they're with, and what they're doing on the net. They won't allow them to have Facebook accounts (or whatever) and their kids won't do it nor visit any message boards without their parents knowledge. I secretly laugh at the fools.

I consider my kids to be 'good' ones, but I'm not an idiot. They're teens. They are fully capable of getting into trouble because they're normal.

shutterbird Guest

Yay for them being so good! Don't you love those helpful, sweet days?
    Oh, and comments make me uncomfortable, too! I'm always thinking in my head, "IT'S JUST A GOOD DAY! You should've seen her yesterday!"

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post

Yep, that bugs me too! Or when people without children complain because CHILDREN ARE BEING CHILDREN. Seriously, now.

Welcome Laura!!

What I love is pregnant first time parents who "think they know"

I love to wait around for them to realize that everything they ever thought they knew about parenting was WRONG.

I'm still learning about parenting. I know I've changed my mind 8 ways from Sunday about almost everything from the time I was pregnant with Bobbie till now.

Howdy, Laura; glad to see you posting here!

I'm on maternity leave now and we've kept Travis in daycare for Mondays every week. We did it because he enjoys it there, we can afford it, and he'll go to the school close to the daycare, so he'll be keeping up with his peers. I felt so guilty today when I didn't go to work but dropped him off. I got so much done around the house, though. Any how, that's my mommy guilt of the week.

I love child-free time! A part of me does feel slightly guilty, but it's definitely gotten easier to enjoy through the years.

Side rant...I cheat with another mommy board. I started posting there when I got fed up with stuff here. There's a thread in their debate/too hot to touch forum about people who pay out of pocket for fertility treatments that do not have insurance. They don't think it should even be allowed. Forget the fact that one woman isn't covered right now because she had a pre-existing condition, and that if she does get pregnant her children will be covered. They're absolutely insensitive, selfish, judgmental, and extremely republican-like. This thread is really making me wonder why I waste any time there. It really bothers me that people are so mean spirited.

Oh, and I just caught this in a siggy from one of the technical people here at Cornell, " One of the things that is wrong with religion is that it teaches us to be satisfied with answers which are not really answers at all.
    - Richard Dawkins"

People are mean because they're unhappy with their own lives. My husband tries to remind me of this and tells me to have compassion for how miserable their lives are that they need to fixate on sniping at other people.

Honestly, I can understand why they're the way they are, but compassion is pushing my patience a bit too far.

Stacy I believe very much that mean people are just miserable with their lives. But I have really hard time feeling sorry for mean people.

And yeah, it trips me out big time when dbf's mom tries to say one thing to me about my parenting. It's like "HELLO, I live with your son. I'm doing the opposite of whatever you did!"
    Lydia, I always feel like that too when people comment at how well behaved my kids are. It does make me feel really good but there's always the part inside me that is laughing and thinking about 10 minutes prior when Kai was yelling, "Dirty, dirty underwear!" and Savana was crying about it and telling him she was never going to play with him again.