Page 384 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2843343743823833843853863944344848841384 ... LastLast
Results 11,491 to 11,520 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Thank you Stacy. Whenever I read someone's post where they say "My kids will never...." I can't help but think they're deluding themselves. Mine are good kids...but I know they're capable of doing just about anything any other teen might do. A part of normal development is a point where adolescents value their friends perceptions and opinions more than their own parents. It sucks, but it's what happens. It's normal.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Once, when Oscar was like 6 months old I remember thinking "my baby will never bite my breast." Got bitten nice and hard the next day. That was the last time I had a "my kid will never" moment.

lmao-ouch!

I didn't think mine would ever talk back to a teacher or be rude. But Jessica told me she got caught with her cell phone and her male teacher held his hand out for it and she dropped it in the front of her blouse & told him to get it. She lost her phone (by us) for a month for that. At the same time, a part of me does think it's funny. I do struggle with my humor sometimes.

Oh my, I would have trouble disciplining that one

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    lmao-ouch!

I didn't think mine would ever talk back to a teacher or be rude. But Jessica told me she got caught with her cell phone and her male teacher held his hand out for it and she dropped it in the front of her blouse & told him to get it. She lost her phone (by us) for a month for that. At the same time, a part of me does think it's funny. I do struggle with my humor sometimes.
    I have to admit, I like that one too.

We are moving mom home tomorrow. She's in hospice right now and mostly sleeps but when she wakes up she has terrible anxiety just saying over and over that she wants to go home. My dad's been up those doctors arses to get her home because when her took in last week he promised he'd take her home and he won't break his promise to her. It's a beautiful thing, the love they have. My mom is barely responsive but when she hears my dad's voice close to her, she doesn't even open her eyes but puckers up for a kiss.
    The past 2 days she's been sleeping and sleeping and not eating. One dr ventured to say that he has seen this happen often close to end when it's the bodies way of sort of saving everything it's got just to stay alive. I don't want my mom to die but I can't stand to see her suffer any more. I think we are all wondering if she is just waiting to get home. Dbf is over there now setting up her hospital bed in the sunroom over looking the garden, her favorite place to be.

--------
    Last edited by girlwonder; 06-08-2010 at 07:59 PM.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I'm sorry Bridget. It sounds like your Dad is a great guy, and that they love each other very much.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post

We are moving mom home tomorrow. She's in hospice right now and mostly sleeps but when she wakes up she has terrible anxiety just saying over and over that she wants to go home. My dad's been up those doctors arses to get her home because when her took in last week he promised he'd take her home and he won't break his promise to her. It's a beautiful thing, the love they have. My mom is barely responsive but when she hears my dad's voice close to her, she doesn't even open her eyes but puckers up for a kiss.
    The past 2 days she's been sleeping and sleeping and not eating. One dr ventured to say that he has seen this happen often close to end when it's the bodies way of sort of saving everything it's got just to stay alive. I don't want my mom to die but I can't stand to see her suffer any more. I think we are all wondering if she is just waiting to get home. Dbf is over there now setting up her hospital bed in the sunroom over looking the garden, her favorite place to be.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

My mom is barely responsive but when she hears my dad's voice close to her, she doesn't even open her eyes but puckers up for a kiss.
    This brought tears to my eyes. Oohh Bridget

This brought tears to my eyes. Oohh Bridget
    Me too. (HUGs)

Thinking of you, Bridget.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, I am so sorry for you and all of your family. It does sound like your mom is close to the end, and I hope she is peaceful, surrounded by love, and at home. Hugs to you.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 06-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Oh Bridget Thinking peaceful thoughts for you, your mom and your dad.

I'm glad you're getting her home Bridget. I can't imagine how hard this must all be. Please know that you're very much in my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I was reading backwards from the end of the thread, and that seemed totally apropos of nothing! It was funny, but it made a lot more sense when I read up farther and saw Chrissy's story.
    Yes, I wrote it before I read about Bridget's mom. Wouldn't have posted had I read a bit further. I will delete it as it seems really uncaring. Certainly wasn't meant to be that way.

I always always always love a good laugh. And that story gave me one.
    Thank you for all of your warm thoughts. I just got home from hospice care and mom was very peacefully sleeping almost the whole time.

Oh I'm in tears after reading that. I'm so sorry. I know what it's like to lose a parent - I lost my dad when I was 22, two and a half years ago now. The pain never goes away. My heart goes out to you
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    We're one of those families that, this year, WILL PAY $12,000 for insurance. No $hit. And they just hiked my premium up by $150 a month. Grrreeeeat.
    I read this as they hiked your premium TO $150, and I was thinking, "Wow... that sounds nice!" My dad was paying over $700/month, just for him and it doesn't really cover anything. They spend nearly $500 a month on his prescriptions. (He has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc)

and my mom is un-insurable in our current health care system because of the brain aneurysm she had in 2003.

Bridget. I cried reading about your mom. I'm glad she is getting to go home.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Yes, I wrote it before I read about Bridget's mom. Wouldn't have posted had I read a bit further. I will delete it as it seems really uncaring. Certainly wasn't meant to be that way.

I removed my quoting you too, but I have to admit sometimes one post catches my fancy out of all of the dozens I see since the last time I checked, and I will reply to that and only later realize that there was something more urgent I should have responded to. Or I mean to reply to multiple things and only get one out before I have to jump up.

It was funny, and I wasn't calling you out on it by any means. I didn't think it was uncaring. It was just a non sequitur if reading bottom-to-top.

shutterbird Guest

Big, gigantic hugs, Bridget.

Bridget

Thinking about you all the time.
    Just Midge

Kim, I love your siggy quote! It definitely ring true for me at the moment.

Bridget - how are you all doing today? I hope your mom is feeling more comfy at home.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    As soon as I read it I knew you hadn't seen Bridget's. I think we all know that happens from time to time...either we're posting at the same time as someone else, or don't have but a minute to post and run and can't read everything that's been going on.

As for the content-I was horrified. It's funny, but gross.

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    and my mom is un-insurable in our current health care system because of the brain aneurysm she had in 2003.
    No one should ever be 'uninsurable' That's just ridiculous and this makes me want to punch someone in the head.

Thinking about you Bridget, and your family.

Hugs, Bridget. I'm so glad your mom will be home during this process. I hope that when I die, I have as much love surrounding me.

DH and I have been talking about what will happen if our parents can't take care of themselves anymore. I am not really comfortable with moving someone in with us (especially one of his parents, OMG) but I understand the majority of nursing homes are not really great places. It really scares me to think about this stuff and to see so many members here losing or have already lost their parents. My heart goes out to all of them.

I'd rather get asphyxiated in an RV than go in a nursing home...so that's my plan if things get too bad and my kids don't want me!!

I've looked into the long-term care insurance that's available through work. I really should get it-it would cover either of my parents or Rich's if/when they need home health aides or god forbid a nursing home. I can't see myself putting my parents in a nursing home.

When I moved to Hawaii my friend and I were having a really hard time getting an apt and were staying in a hostel for much longer than we thought. We'd started jobs but just barely and when I called my parents they paid for a week at a hotel and put a huge chunck of money in my account just for a few days so I could show prospective landlords my hefty bank statement and then of course I gave the money back.
    I asked my parent how I could ever thank them and they laughed and said "Don't ever put us in a nursing home"
    I can't even count how many times they've reminded me since.

I've looked into the long-term care insurance that's available through work. I really should get it-it would cover either of my parents or Rich's if/when they need home health aides or god forbid a nursing home. I can't see myself putting my parents in a nursing home.
    When I was in school I took a class in dementia, and the professor actually had a long discussion with us about long term care insurance and why it was such a good idea to have. I've talked with my parents about getting it and my dad won't listen to me because I'm a girl. I have my mom convinced, but she can't convince my dad. Oh, and she won't get it on her own. Because she's a girl.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 06-09-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post