Page 370 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2703203603683693703713723804204708701370 ... LastLast
Results 11,071 to 11,100 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Your father is so thoughtful. I hope you all have a wonderful trip.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

That's wonderful Bridget, and your dad has good perspective. There's nothing but now.

I confess that my mom is going through a really hard emotional time, and she's taking it out on me royally. We were just with her for two weeks and she's been terribly crabby and sensitive about everything. Yesterday before we took her to the airport she exploded at us (DH and I) and her reasoning was totally ridiculous. Clearly she's upset about her own life stuff and is just lashing out, but it's just really, really hard to deal with when I'm pregnant. I want to pop her in the nose, and it reminds me of being a defenseless kid with her mean-ness and temper when she's stressed out and blaming. Give you an example. One of the things that set her off about a month ago that she harped on me about yesterday was how "every time I call her (or she calls me) I'm talking to Oscar in the background while I'm on the phone with her." I figured she'd a) understand and b) would want to talk to HIM and would understand that if I wait until Oscar's not around she'd talk to us about 1/4 as much. And what, does she expect me to tell him to shut up just because I'm on the phone with his grandma? It's totally unreasonable and even cruel but like... gah. She's Fing NUTS, I tell you.

Here's another example. Last week we had dinner at my mom's house with her ex-husband (my ex-stepdad). When we left, Oscar talked about having a sleepover with his grandma AND her ex-husband and I said that wouldn't happen. Long story short, he asked why they weren't married anymore and I explained how some people have "forever marriages," like his dad and I, and some people decided to get married and then realized they made the wrong decision, like them. I mentioned the conversation to my mother and yesterday she told me she was angry at me because I "used her poor life choices as an example to Oscar." No, I just answered his freaking QUESTION honestly and made the mistake of sharing it with her. Grr.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Here's another example. Last week we had dinner at my mom's house with her ex-husband (my ex-stepdad). When we left, Oscar talked about having a sleepover with his grandma AND her ex-husband and I said that wouldn't happen. Long story short, he asked why they weren't married anymore and I explained how some people have "forever marriages," like his dad and I, and some people decided to get married and then realized they made the wrong decision, like them. I mentioned the conversation to my mother and yesterday she told me she was angry at me because I "used her poor life choices as an example to Oscar." No, I just answered his freaking QUESTION honestly and made the mistake of sharing it with her. Grr.
    Well, her "poor life choices" as she says, are on the table for discussion, and can't really be avoided as they are in Oscar's life. She's insecure about it I'm sure, but you can't make things up to tell Oscar what the deal is. Oh well, can't win in that situation.

I'm about to call around to a few csa's to see if it isn't too late to get in on one. I'm a little slow - and somehow had it in my head that my garden would be my vegetable source all summer, but then did a reality check of "hmmm...I've never had a garden before, and I'll have a newborn"...so I'll probably be lucky to have some squash and green beans I've never done a csa before, so the $$ shelled out is frightening to me, but I've broken it down, done the math and I know it's worth it. Not to mention the latest research on pesticides is keeping me up at night, and I would pay $500 to sleep well.
    Just Midge

Midge, I loved loved loved my CSA before my garden took off. Totally worth it.

And thanks, I know. It's just that as usual, my mother sees me as the... what's the old phrase? The divining rod pointing to her flaws? When really I'm just telling it like it is.

How crappy of her Stash. Was is possible to have any enjoyment from your visit with her? It sounds like 2 weeks would be...exhausting.

The great thing about the Ithaca area is that there are plenty of CSAs. I hope you find one! If not, they often sell on the roadside & at farmers markets.

Stacy that sucks about your mom. What the hell? I can't believe she acts annoyed that you talk to Oscar in the background while your on the phone! Sorry she's acting that way.
    Midge I'm with you on the CSA. I just simply don't have enough gardening experience to have faith in my crops. Plus I only have a really small garden this year since the spot I want to put the main one is in the path that dbf needs to take with all of his diggers and loaders and pourers for building the boathouse. I often get gawks for the price we pay for the csa but it's totally, totally worth it to me.
    Savana is obsessed with sea turtles right now. Last week it was China. She's all over the place! We're at the library twice a week because she "needs too learn about xyz" I can't keep up! This morning I spent 15 minutes explaining to her the difference between "extinct" and "instinct" as they both came up in the Sea Turtle book we were reading. She got tears in her eyes when I told her that when animals become instinct that means they are gone forever. God I hope she keeps up this passion for learning.

Bridget, she totally will, because you're fostering a good learning environment!

Chrissy, yes, mostly the time was good. The first 4 days were rough, she was stupid crabby, but the rest was nice. Ironically, she totally lost her $hit with me like an hour before we took her to the airport, leaving a bad end to the trip.

I went to get a pedicure today, but there were 5 Cornell brats in line ahead of me who said..."um, there's like 5 people already waiting" In that singsongy whiney college girl voice. So I left...with my baby on my hip.

So ready for summer, for them all to be gone....and so jealous of their fancy degree that will concretely ensure that they will always have more earning potential than I. *sigh* Danny will just have to paint my toenails again tonight.
    Just Midge

Midge, they don't have more earning potential than you. I'm a high-school dropout who regularly hires (or supervises) ivy-league jackasses. None of them make more than I do.

And am I crazy, but I'm actually considering naming this baby Io, after one of Jupiter's moons? Pronounced EE-OH (though the common pronounciation is EYE-OH I don't like that).

Okay, I'm nuts.

Not nuts at all. I really like that. But I'm also a geek like that...so whatever.

Speaking of names though - I have always loved the name Hazel...and last time, I ran it by Danny and he said "no way" Then I mentioned it again the other night..and he said "oh, I really like that name" What is wrong with him? Do you think he has brain damage, maybe a little bit. Or, do I?
    Just Midge

I LOVE Hazel. I said Io out loud so many times to Oscar that it now sounds too strange. He loves it, however. He also loves Moss, but I just can't do that to a child.

I think this baby will still be named Gus. I just somehow feel like I need to do due diligence or something, like we came up with Gus in about 2 minutes and that's too quick

And no, it's not you. Men are generally brain damaged. Mine keeps suggesting names like Circle. Freak.

I can't wait for the Cornell brats to be gone either. I posted this on Facebook--I wonder if it was a Cornell student? Some can be like that. http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.co...s-ivory-tower/ Not all though...I've definitely met some sweeties. And cuties ;)

Stacy, you're definitely geeky but it's one of your more redeeming qualities. I like the name Gus. For whatever that's worth.

I think hanging out in here is messing with me. I've dreamed about babies for two nights in a row now.

Quote Originally Posted by midgeend View Post
    Not nuts at all. I really like that. But I'm also a geek like that...so whatever.

Speaking of names though - I have always loved the name Hazel...and last time, I ran it by Danny and he said "no way" Then I mentioned it again the other night..and he said "oh, I really like that name" What is wrong with him? Do you think he has brain damage, maybe a little bit. Or, do I?
    I like Hazel too! I remember ages ago, someone put it in a name vote and no one liked it, which made me a tiny bit sad.

Oh and DH did the same thing with the name "Mia". He completely dissed it the first time I suggested it, then a few days later he was like "Mia is the perfect name!"

What's a CSA? They help you start your garden? Sounds like I could use that.
    I'm boring, I don't like odd names...I'm of the camp that people have enough hardships in life...don't make them spell out or repeat their own names all the time. LOL I mean jeez my name is Katherine and I still have to spell my name for everyone.

I also love the name Hazel. It reminds me of beautiful eyes LOL. We have a girl in Elle's birth month room named Hazel too and she is a cutie so maybe I'm biased.

I always thought Io was pronouced EYE-oh too! It does sound better as EE-oh. It is cute. I was considering naming Elle Echo, which I have always loved, and even though everyone talked bad about it, the only reason I didn't was because of Kyro's name. I didn't want the kids to both have names that end the same. I am strange, I know.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    What's a CSA? They help you start your garden? Sounds like I could use that.
    I'm boring, I don't like odd names...I'm of the camp that people have enough hardships in life...don't make them spell out or repeat their own names all the time. LOL I mean jeez my name is Katherine and I still have to spell my name for everyone.
    I think it stands for community shared agriculture. And basically you're buying a share in a farm, and you get a box of whatever they're harvesting every week from june-november...OR here some of them let you "shop" their stands at the farmers market and just take what you need.

I'm still up in the air on it though. I don't want to waste produce, and I feel like I might get so much swiss chard, that I should maybe just shop the market like normal, and spend 25/week on what I'll actually use. kwim?

eta: by market I mean farmer's market, so it would be the same farms that do the csa...so still community supported agriculture.
    Last edited by midgeend; 05-19-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    Just Midge

Oh, that sounds neat!

I just buy at the grocery store. though when we move we will be closer to the farmer's market so maybe I will try going there. I definitely would be worried about a share getting too much the same thing one week or getting stuff I don't like or don't know what to do with.

I definitely LOVE end of June though...that is when the local strawberry stands are in and one of the farms has the best strawberries.

I'm really annoyed right now. I just got an email from my builder that my stove and frig are on back order. Supposedly until early June. I'm most likely moving memorial weekend and one day the first week of June. I guess the store offered to bring in a loaner frig and stove....and when ours come in to deliver them for free. Wow. I'm not very happy with the store because I ordered these over a month ago. And I'm just now hearing about the backorder. And now I'm going to have the pulling in and our appliances are my brand new floors.

But the worst is the food. I was planning on having my frig plugged in a few days and than moving my stuff from here to there....it's only a 15 minute drive. So no having to throw anything away. Now I'm going to have to still do that but when they switch out the loaner for my new one, I'm going to have food to throw away because my new one won't be cold. I can try to eat up what I have...but I tend to keep a lot in the freezer.

So should I call the store and ask for a refund of money? how much? I'm in a smaller town and this is a local appliance store that has three locations (one of which is like 2 hours away).
    I would think that they would want too keep a good rep and I'm not happy right now. I spent about $5500 buying ALL the appliances for the house (kitchen and laundry...and kitchen stuff was all stainless steel).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

As for baby names....I like long formal ones with nicknames. For us a boy would be Theodore Wilson and a girl would be Katherine Cleo. We would mostly call them Teddy or Kasey.

Someone I know recently named her daughter Mabel.

We also have on our list Harrison and Penelope.

chances are though that I will be naming a new dog before a baby. At least with a dog, I know we will go with another girl. don't have any great names like Cosmo lined yet though.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

23. Default

B did this exact same thing with Audrianna... I mentioned it and he said no, then a few weeks later he goes "What do you think of Audrianna?"

I confess it melts my heart when Audrianna is looking for me or my mom... or her dolly for that matter... She walks around saying "Gamma/Mama/Dolly...... (where) Are you!?" Then when she finds who/what she was looking for she gets all excited "I MISSED YOU!" and gives a kiss!

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    I LOVE Hazel. I said Io out loud so many times to Oscar that it now sounds too strange. He loves it, however. He also loves Moss, but I just can't do that to a child.

I think this baby will still be named Gus. I just somehow feel like I need to do due diligence or something, like we came up with Gus in about 2 minutes and that's too quick
    I like the name Moss (playwright and theater director Moss Hart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moss_Hart was married to Kitty Carlisle and those are the two coolest names on earth. Can you imagine saying "Kitty and Moss are coming for dinner tonight" without fainting from the sheer coolness?)

Gus is a great name. I also like August for a first name - that way you can do Gus for short or Augie.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I think it stands for community shared agriculture. And basically you're buying a share in a farm, and you get a box of whatever they're harvesting every week from june-november...OR here some of them let you "shop" their stands at the farmers market and just take what you need.

I'm still up in the air on it though. I don't want to waste produce, and I feel like I might get so much swiss chard, that I should maybe just shop the market like normal, and spend 25/week on what I'll actually use. kwim?

eta: by market I mean farmer's market, so it would be the same farms that do the csa...so still community supported agriculture.
    The reason I like the csa so much is because it forces me to use things that I might not normally buy and I refuse, refuse to waste any of it so I will add so much veggies to everything. It works out well for me. It I have extra greens, I'll throw them in my milkshake. Although once I threw beet greens in and that was nas.ty.

Erin - Savana is sitting next to me. She saw the pictures of Elle and said, "Mom, who is that? She is such a pretty girl. Can she be friends with us?"
    Still thinking about moving to Wisconsin?

I confess that I miss Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Erin - Savana is sitting next to me. She saw the pictures of Elle and said, "Mom, who is that? She is such a pretty girl. Can she be friends with us?"
    Still thinking about moving to Wisconsin?
    That is sooooooo sweet!!!!!

We are actually still thinking of moving there but it won't be for a couple years because the housing market is crappola here and we wouldn't even be able to sell our house for what we bought it for and we paid under 100K for it 3 years ago. Luckily we got a lot of down payment assistance, about 30K because the area we live in is in a redevelopment stage and a lot of people are afraid to live here so if we sell for the purchase price we will make 40K so we're waiting for the market to go up.

But we are actually thinking of moving to the Madison area and I think that is where you are....right? I told DH I can go back to work and I know someone in the area who could watch Elle. But he thinks APA ladies are my crazy internet friends so he looked at me very strangely LOL.

ETA: DH thinks anyone that anyone meets on the internet is crazy because they are most likely "a greasy fat hairy man sitting in poop (he didn't say poop though) stained briefs."

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 05-19-2010 at 08:59 PM.

I confess I just bought four bags of treats to bring to school for an end-of-the-year project I've been planning. I wanted enough for me, 22 kids, and 5-10 staff members. At the checkout, the teller asked me if I was planning on eating it all for a snack tonight.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I confess that Savana just asked me if I could pleeeeeeze have another baby. I asked her why and she said, "Because I really, really can't remember what your milk tastes like and I want to try it again."

Oh Bridget - that girl is too much! What a cute funny thing for her to say. I sometimes can't wait for the things that are going to eventually come out of Annie's mouth. Although - I fear she'll be like me and I'm going to get just a whole lotta sass.
    Just Midge

I'm with Bridget - my CSA forced me to figure out uses for what was in season, instead of buying whatever. Good cooking practice, but excellent for sustainability. Eat what's in season instead of buying it from California.

I like Gus by itself, but not August or Augie. Honestly, I think this guy is going to be a Gus. I've poured through baby names and don't love anything else... Moss I'm okay with but I'm such a gardener that all I think of is, well, MOSS.