Page 368 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2683183583663673683693703784184688681368 ... LastLast
Results 11,011 to 11,040 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Josh couldn't find any more socks that came with his sock puppet kit so he used one of his own
    It looks like a deranged fish.

How cute! And creative of him!

I'm waiting for my husband to come home with the kids from his mother's. He usually makes me breakfast in bed on Sundays. I'm starving.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

So my parents asked me out to dinner last night and came by the house to pick me up. I have two large dogs and I have to buy dog food in bulk because they go through it so fast, and with DH gone I've been stressing about how to deal with the dog food. So, I figured since I was out with Dad and he would be coming back to my house to bring my home anyway, I'd ask him if he minded swinging by the pet store and carrying the dog food to/from the car for me.

He was fine with it, and then my mother started in on this fixation she has about how much dog food I buy. The two dogs together eat about one medium sized bowl full of food per day, which seems about right to me. They're both very healthy and aren't overweight. But my mother is hung up on the fact that I have to buy more food that she did with the dog my parents had when I was growing up. I pointed out there were two of them, but she says I buy more than twice the food. So I asked how big Trixie (childhood dog) was, and Dad said about 50 lbs. My Gwennie is 55 lbs and very muscular and high energy (that's her as a puppy in my avatar) and Nero is 80 lbs. So of course 135 lbs of dog are going to eat more than twice what 50 lbs of dog will eat. My dad calculated the weight per dog and size of bag divided by the time and decided it was just about right.

So we get in the car and my mother says "I think you're going to have to put your dogs on a diet."

I said, "Are you suggesting I malnourish my dogs to save money on dog food?"

She didn't know what to say to that, but she did drop the subject. Because obviously that's what she was trying to say, but didn't like it when I put it in those words.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 05-16-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

shutterbird Guest

I confess I hate seeing bad things happen to good people. Especially when said bad things could have been prevented with minimal medical intervention.

Like my grandma. She's back in the hospital again because she was having horrible chest pains. She has heart issues, remember? She was having a bit of trouble breathing for a few days and everyone was begging her to get it checked out. Now she's admitted to the hospital for at least a week when all she needed was her medication changed around, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    So my parents asked me out to dinner last night and came by the house to pick me up. I have two large dogs and I have to buy dog food in bulk because they go through it so fast, and with DH gone I've been stressing about how to deal with the dog food. So, I figured since I was out with Dad and he would be coming back to my house to bring my home anyway, I'd ask him if he minded swinging by the pet store and carrying the dog food to/from the car for me.

He was fine with it, and then my mother started in on this fixation she has about how much dog food I buy. The two dogs together eat about one medium sized bowl full of food per day, which seems about right to me. They're both very healthy and aren't overweight. But my mother is hung up on the fact that I have to buy more food that she did with the dog my parents had when I was growing up. I pointed out there were two of them, but she says I buy more than twice the food. So I asked how big Trixie (childhood dog) was, and Dad said about 50 lbs. My Gwennie is 55 lbs and very muscular and high energy (that's her as a puppy in my avatar) and Nero is 80 lbs. So of course 135 lbs of dog are going to eat more than twice what 50 lbs of dog will eat. My dad calculated the weight per dog and size of bag divided by the time and decided it was just about right.

So we get in the car and my mother says "I think you're going to have to put your dogs on a diet."

She didn't know what to say to that, but she did drop the subject. Because obviously that's what she was trying to say, but didn't like it when I put it in those words.
    I think your mom was putting her nose in where it doesn't belong. I don't even get into discussions like that with anyone...maybe it comes with age, but I don't ever feel the need to defend any decision I make about anything. I hope your mom learns to let go soon.

Having teen girls who are close to the brink of leaving, I can see where it would be very easy to add my 2 cents on things like that. I really, really hope I don't. I read things like this & make mental notes all the time...hopefully I'll be able to be like mine were. My dad was a bit vocal when I was first with Rich & pregnant with Bobbie-but I was 16 then and I don't blame him! By the time I was 19, he was allowing me to make all my decisions without any input unless I asked for his thoughts. imo, that's the best way to be with adult children.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    I confess I hate seeing bad things happen to good people. Especially when said bad things could have been prevented with minimal medical intervention.

Like my grandma. She's back in the hospital again because she was having horrible chest pains. She has heart issues, remember? She was having a bit of trouble breathing for a few days and everyone was begging her to get it checked out. Now she's admitted to the hospital for at least a week when all she needed was her medication changed around, most likely.
    I hope she'll be ok.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Regarding the dog food--I've been doing a lot of my bulk ordering online, mostly from Amazon, so I don't have to deal with buying it and lugging it around. I set up a subscription for both toilet paper and kitty litter through Amazon, so it's delivered automatically and I get free shipping AND a discount for setting up a subscription. Any chance you can do that? And it is none of your mom's business, except that your dad was helping you out with it, so I could see why she is interested in the amount. Although I don't think it was wise or kind of her to comment about it.

A friend of mine dated a girl once who said she fed her cat less so she wouldn't grow as big. We were shocked at her bonsaification of her kitty (and this was before the spoof website) and had words with her about it. I still don't know if she was kidding. She was a little weird.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post

I confess that neither of my kids took a nap today because my cousin and her family came over and the kids were just having so much fun in the yard that I didn't have the heart to drag them inside for a nap. But then after everyone left I asked dbf if he would mind if I quickly went up to the local nursery to buy some plants. When I got home, both kids were in total meltdown mode. It sucked. But it's no different than what would have happened if I'd tried to make them take a nap in the midst of their very involved play. And at one point when I was handing Kai off to dbf he said that he "wanted to talk to me about not giving the kids a nap today." I swear, it's never a dull moment with this dude. Should be an interesting conversation.

My mom is very much this way. She'll pick and pick and pick at one thing that really has nothing to do with her and then act really offended when one of had to sternly let her know that she really doesn't have a say in certain things.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I confess that neither of my kids took a nap today because my cousin and her family came over and the kids were just having so much fun in the yard that I didn't have the heart to drag them inside for a nap. But then after everyone left I asked dbf if he would mind if I quickly went up to the local nursery to buy some plants. When I got home, both kids were in total meltdown mode. It sucked. But it's no different than what would have happened if I'd tried to make them take a nap in the midst of their very involved play. And at one point when I was handing Kai off to dbf he said that he "wanted to talk to me about not giving the kids a nap today." I swear, it's never a dull moment with this dude. Should be an interesting conversation.
    is right! Let us know how that talk turns out. I also didn't get Annie a nap today, and it made for a meltdown bedtime. I always feel so bad for her when she's so tired she just wants to cry. But...I want to cry too when I'm that tired.

Kim - I'm sorry about your gram.

Mandy - Sorry your mom is sticking her nose in about the dog food. I get the big eyeroll from my family for feeding my dog high quality dog food that costs a ton, but whatever. She was my first baby, is a member of our family, and I want her to have a long quality life.

Today my dad cracked me up because he told me, and I quote "I'm so glad neither of my children have turned out to be Catholics" Just like, out of the blue...no prompting for the statement. He must have read something crazy about the catholic church or something. He was almost a priest, so he's a "reformed" catholic.
    Just Midge

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Regarding the dog food--I've been doing a lot of my bulk ordering online, mostly from Amazon, so I don't have to deal with buying it and lugging it around. I set up a subscription for both toilet paper and kitty litter through Amazon, so it's delivered automatically and I get free shipping AND a discount for setting up a subscription. Any chance you can do that? And it is none of your mom's business, except that your dad was helping you out with it, so I could see why she is interested in the amount. Although I don't think it was wise or kind of her to comment about it.

A friend of mine dated a girl once who said she fed her cat less so she wouldn't grow as big. We were shocked at her bonsaification of her kitty (and this was before the spoof website) and had words with her about it. I still don't know if she was kidding. She was a little weird.
    That's a GREAT idea (ordering from Amazon, not starving the kitty. I told my sister this story in between sob stories about her daughter's relationship woes, and she tried to tell me to get grocery delivery, and she just couldn't comprehend that I refuse to by grocery store dog food, much less that I seriously doubt any of the grocery stores in Tucson deliver (I could be wrong). This is a better idea and would hopefully allow me to continue with the same brand they're used to.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    He knows just what to say every time, doesn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by midgeend View Post
    Mandy - Sorry your mom is sticking her nose in about the dog food. I get the big eyeroll from my family for feeding my dog high quality dog food that costs a ton, but whatever. She was my first baby, is a member of our family, and I want her to have a long quality life.
    Yes, we're the same way. When DH lost his job, we agreed that no matter whether we had to skimp on food for us, we were going to keep buying the good pet food for our animals. If we aren't eating right, we will generally start to crave whatever we are missing in our diet. Our dogs (and cat) can't tell us when they're missing out and, except for table scraps, they depend on the food so it's very important.

If we aren't eating right, we will generally start to crave whatever we are missing in our diet.
    Sooo...my body needs cheese and salty snacks?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Okay, maybe you got me there, but in theory I'm right!

I knew what you meant, LOL Just being a smartass

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Kim, I'm sorry about your grandmother. I hope her stay in the hospital is short and painless.

My mom was asking me this weekend when dbf and I are going to get married. Oy. I feel so sad for her that she will likely never see her daughter walk down the aisle. She doesn't know the half of what my relationship with him is like, though. Her thought process is so sporadic lately, I'm holding onto the chance that it never comes up again.

Okay, I've figured out one benefit to being totally alone in the house (at least if you live with a prude as I do): I can wash ALL my clothes at the same time and not have to worry about what to wear while I'm washing!

18. Default

I confess as much as I love scary movies, I really shouldn't watch them while I am home alone...

I was in my room folding like 3 loads of laundry, and The Strangers came on HBO... so I watched it......

Oh yeah! There were like 3 scary movies on last night but DH doesn't like them...

It must have been scary movie night...Bobbie watched one alone in her room & came out all freaked out. lol

Aww...do you know which one it was?

Mine needs pasta!

I'm very stressed out right now and am not used to being stressed...and OMG all I want is noodles.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 05-17-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Aww...do you know which one it was?
    Ugh-she told me & I can't remember now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Mine needs pasta!

I'm very stressed out right now and am not used to being stressed...and OMG all I want is noodles.
    What's wrong?

A small part of me thinks I might buy a Mac computer for home when it comes time to make my next acquisition. shhhh....don't tell my boss because here I'm PC & he's Mac & he swears they're better. For me it's not that I think they're better...I just like the thought of using something different.

It's nothing huge or major that is wrong...just lots of small stuff. We're moving...that alone should do it! LOL Just the idea of changing everything we need to change, trying to remember what we need to get, figuring out how we are going to water the yard when hydroseed is going in this week and we likely won't be moving until another week. Not knowing what day we can move so I don't know what day to schedule movers (and we are getting into a busy season so the sooner we schedule the better) or what days to take off work. trying to not spend too much money. Packing.
    Everything with building has gone so smoothly except the electrician. One light I ordered for the entry way, they just decided I didn't really want and sent it back! And so nothing is wired for a light there. And another light, a wall sconce was supposed to be on it's own switch...and it's not. My builder is talking to the electrician today to see what can be done.

And than back to dog food, trying to not give her too much. She has been on the phenibarbitol for a little over a week. It has definitely increased her appetite. Before I had just put food in the dish and when it was empty I refilled, I never had to watch her amounts and for 6.5 years, she has had a healthy weight. I feel bad thinking she might be hungry and doesn't have food in her dish and she can't open the cabinet and help herself like I do. I talked to the vet on Friday and thankfully it seems like she is eating a bit more like she used to. I think that she probably gained like 1 lb last week though! She was noticeably heavier when we picked her up. When you are only 21.5 lbs, a little gain is noticeable.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I was on phenobarbitol for a while when I was trying to figure out something that would stop my headaches. I gained a ton of weight, and had cravings for chocolate (which I never do, except when breastfeeding).

As for a Mac...not sure if I could be converted. Too many of our games are all PC.

Now for my iPod...that I LOVE. And I would like an iPad...but since we are doing the house thing, it will have to wait.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I was on phenobarbitol for a while when I was trying to figure out something that would stop my headaches. I gained a ton of weight, and had cravings for chocolate (which I never do, except when breastfeeding).
    Hmmm, I wonder if Cosmo is craving anything. She's never had chocolate of course! Normally she is VERY into food...favorite words are dinner, hungry, eat, food, breakfast, pizza, goldfish, taco, popcorn and grandma. LOL
    But we only gave her limited people food, treats for going to the bathroom, and her dog food...which the dish never had to sit empty because her weight was pretty even.

Vet said if it continues to be a problem, we can move to another drug that doesn't have this side effect but takes longer to work...which is why they start on a low dose of phenobarbitol. Her second seizure was really pretty long which is why they want her on meds.

Well at least so far getting the pills in twice a day is pretty easy. Last night it was stuck in a piece of mac and cheese...this morning a piece of pinapple.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    As for a Mac...not sure if I could be converted. Too many of our games are all PC.

Now for my iPod...that I LOVE. And I would like an iPad...but since we are doing the house thing, it will have to wait.
    Well it's not like the Mac would be a replacement computer. I currently have 4 computers up and running on my home network. 3 pc's, 1 mac (which resides in Sydney's room). I have just toyed with the idea of adding a mac to the collection. Believe it or not, there are many times when there isn't a computer available for Mom because the kids & dh are using the others ones!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Well it's not like the Mac would be a replacement computer. I currently have 4 computers up and running on my home network. 3 pc's, 1 mac (which resides in Sydney's room). I have just toyed with the idea of adding a mac to the collection. Believe it or not, there are many times when there isn't a computer available for Mom because the kids & dh are using the others ones!
    yeah it's a lot different with just two adults in the house! We have my old computer still, it's a Win 98 from 1999! LOL I would like to toss but DH isn't ready yet. But don't know if we will set it up at the new house.

and than we have the laptop. Sometimes we fight over using that but I'm on a computer all day so generally am fine with watching TV and letting him use it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I think our cat is going to die soon. Our vet came this morning for the pets yearly appointments, and she said that he's got a lot of fluid in his belly, and that his heart sounds like crap (he has cardiomyopathy, and we've known that for about 5 years). He's having a super hard time breathing too. So far he's still eating - so he's got meds for the fluid, which means he'll pee more..which means he'll pee on my bathroom mat more

I'm sad for Annie. I don't like the cat much, he came with the husband, and I love him, but I don't like him. Annie LOVES him. I don't know when the right time is to put him down. The vet was basically leaving it up to us, and mentioned we might do it before the baby comes...but I figure if he's eating, he can't be that bad off right? So might as well let him live out his life ....I don't know??
    Just Midge