Page 365 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2653153553633643653663673754154658651365 ... LastLast
Results 10,921 to 10,950 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Tampa was picked to host the 2012 Republican National Convention. Joy.

Oooh you are soooo lucky! Thankfully my town is too small for something like that. Too many Republicans.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm not looking at the news any more today. Just cannot deal with any more awful things in my head. Retreating into my little cave

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I have good news...my house is being close to being done! They are working on all the little inside things right now, fireplace, cabinets, lights, sinks and counters. Should be totally done by last week of May.

AND I found someone who wants to rent my townhouse...which is great because my lease went through October and we were REALLY hoping to find someone before that...saves us like $2500.

Bad news is I'm getting stressed by all that moving entails, the packing, the calling and switching all the utilities and cable...all of that. And we don't know for sure exactly which date we can move and schedule the movers (this is the first time we are hiring movers because I bought some REALLY heavy solid oak bedroom furniture and my bedroom is upstairs...even the furniture delivery guys said that particular armoire is one of the worst for moving since it's one piece). We can't legally move anything in until we have a certificate of occupancy.

Oh and in the past two days it's been dreary and in the 40's. It feels like March or November. Grr.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It must be so exciting having a new house built.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Tampa was picked to host the 2012 Republican National Convention. Joy.

Sorry. You can come up and hang out with us in Ithaca! We'll be watching the convention and screaming expletives at the T.V. It'll be great fun.
    Just Midge

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Bridget-I woke up thinking you of.

BP makes me wanna smack someone. Preferably, one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Oh Bridget I am so sorry. I wish I could do something.

The oil spill has me sick to my stomach. I have now boycotted Exxon, BP, and all things from Japan (after watching the film The Cove).

I am a trained in disaster response so if/when the oil makes it here, I'll be out there helping to clean it up. Dh wants to do the training too, but then we'd have no one to watch the kids if we both went. And as much as I want them to see and help, I think they are still too young and I don't want them around all that oil.
    Jenny, what about Sea Life parks? I assume they have plenty in your area? I always looked forward to doing things like that with my kids but now that I have watched The Cove, I just won't be able to. That film had me in tears. The part at the beginning where he talks about how he believes the last Flipper comitted suicide.

Bridget, I'm fuming and on your behalf, too.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Anyone heard anything about Soren Christopher's birth yet? Lydia doing OK?

I probably just missed the announcement, I'm so behind on this thread lately.

Swannie has a post in new moms with pics and everything! He's so cute!!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I was just coming back here to say never mind . . . cause I found that thread.

I confess that I haven't posted a pic of James in here yet but you may have seen them in my threads...

Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Oh hell you guys I'm sorry. I just went back and checked and I DID post the links to the threads in here. Dam, I can't keep track of myself these days!

I agree with how upsetting the oil spill is. It gives me that sinking stomach ache every time I think about it.
    And Ashley, too funny on the comparison pics. Now that's what I'll think every time too.
    I confess that I'm so upset right now I was shaking when I hung up the phone with my dad. He sent out an email to all of my mom's siblings explaining how the meds she takes are effecting her and the fact that we are hoping for 6 months. Her family wasn't really aware of how serious everything has become as she always plays it off. Plus, they are 600+ miles away. The problem was that they were giving my mom grief about missing things, or not returning phone calls and the truth is she doesn't even always remember to eat. He asked them to please call his cell directly to make any plans since my mom hates to miss anything and she'll try to do things she shouldn't do.
    So my mom's brother calls to see if him and his wife can come over yesterday. My dad says yes of course, it would be wonderful. But could they please not plan to spend the night because the nights and mornings can be difficult times and hospice care comes, etc. Well then my aunt goes and asks my dad during dinner if they can stay, in front of my mom. So of course he says yes because he will do nothing to upset my mom. He then leaves them all at the house this morning for a work meeting. My mom just called him upset because my aunt told her that she absolutely must stop taking all of the pain medicine she's taking. On top of that, questioning the decision to stop treatment, telling her she has not exhausted all of her options. Excuse me? How would you know?
    My poor, poor dad. He's so upset. My mom's brain function is suffering so she has really irrational thoughts as it is. We don't know if it's the meds, or the brain cancer reappearing, but either way we keep things mellow and do nothing, ever, to upset her. They have no idea how much pain she is in if she's even late taking her medicine. She is under the care of some of the best university dr's in our area. How dare they? Because you know what? Sometimes I want to beg her to try another treatment. I want to beg her not to give up yet. But how selfish would that be? For me to make her doubt herself? For me to put my needs above hers?
    I'm angry that they didn't respect my dad's wishes. And I'm angry that the presume to have answers when we are all here every day trying to do right by mom. Whew, sorry. That was long.
    Big to you.

I think you and your dad are phenomenal for handling everything the way you are and doing your best to honor and respect your mothers wishes.

He's beautiful Janeen!!

Soren is a darling too. I'm loving this Secular baby boom!

I confess, I love it how much Mia is into cooking. My parents never taught me to cook, so I've made a conscious effort to get Mia involved from an early age. Now at 2, I think she knows more about cooking than I did at 20.

I'll have to go peak if I ever get a minute of peace at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    Oh hell you guys I'm sorry. I just went back and checked and I DID post the links to the threads in here. Dam, I can't keep track of myself these days!
    It's ok, it's called Mommy Brain. Get used to it!! He's adorable

I didn't actively teach my girls to cook...but I didn't keep them out of the kitchen either. Sydney (11) and Jessica (15) seem to have an aptitude for it and often bake yummy desserts on their own (or together) for us. Bobbie, however, struggles to boil eggs That's ok, she's brilliant in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    He's beautiful Janeen!!

Soren is a darling too. I'm loving this Secular baby boom!

I confess, I love it how much Mia is into cooking. My parents never taught me to cook, so I've made a conscious effort to get Mia involved from an early age. Now at 2, I think she knows more about cooking than I did at 20.
    I know what you mean. I was totally clueless when I moved out of my parents. I ate a lot of ramen noodles. Savana and Kai both help me whenever they possibly can and Savana looks through cookbooks for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    It must be so exciting having a new house built.
    Thanks! It is exciting and fun...but also stressful! It's very hard to not upgrade everything and stay within allowances....and be a first time homeowner in a scary economy.

If DH had his way, we wouldn't have done this until we had cash.

Myself, I would rather have just kept on renting and had our baby...but we have to take what we can get and a house was something we could have control over.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My mom cooked with us a lot. Especially doing things like cookies (and frosting them....such a mess but fun!) and homemade pizza....we always got to do our own personal mini ones.

I a much more of a cooker than my sister but as picky as I can be, she is much much worse.

I like cooking most of the time.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I just peeked at Lydia's pics---too cute!! I'm so happy about all these babies!!

I think I totally take knowing how to cook for granted. I just can't imagine not knowing how. I'm lucky to have foodies on both my mom's and dad's side.

My MIL...she can cook up some hamburger helper and call it a day...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I think I totally take knowing how to cook for granted. I just can't imagine not knowing how. I'm lucky to have foodies on both my mom's and dad's side.

My MIL...she can cook up some hamburger helper and call it a day...LOL

I take it for granted too. Last night I was exclaiming to dh that I just didn't understand why anyone would eat nasty fast food, when they could have what we were having (Pork Loin, marinated in a hoison sauce and broiled, cous cous, and salad) for the same price, or less, and get so much more food too. He reminded me that a lot of Americans quite simply don't know how to prepare food that tastes good.

That makes me sad. It also makes me realize that the whole Jamie Oliver food revolution deal...is sooo necessary. People should realize how easy it is to eat well at home.
    Just Midge

I like to cook and have only more so in the last few years been doing more variety. I grew up with cooking at home but it was still mostly burgers, spaghetti and pizza...my dad is VERY VERY VERY picky...to this day when he visits we eat Culvers and I make him homemade pizza.

I have never had pork loin or marinated anything. I do broil pork chops and I am pretty good with chicken but tend to mostly use season salt and pepper.....

I bought quinoa, lentils and barley...so far have made barley soup. Don't have any clue what to do with the others......

My chicken soup and mac and cheese is FAR better than anything out of a box or can though!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jenny, what about Sea Life parks? I assume they have plenty in your area? I always looked forward to doing things like that with my kids but now that I have watched The Cove, I just won't be able to. That film had me in tears. The part at the beginning where he talks about how he believes the last Flipper comitted suicide.
    Never have been a huge fan. I think that they do a good job of educating the general public about the ocean, but I think if the public knew how these marine mammals are ripped from their pods (where maternal attachment is as complex as humans) shipped sometimes thousands of miles away and trained to perfom, that perhaps their popularity would wane a bit.

Oh Kathy the last Flipper. So sad. Did I ever tell you that my dh was on the Flipper TV show when he was like Ronin's age.

Oh well see, I am a hypocrite because I enjoy fast food LOL
    Really trying to avoid it recently though...it's hard when I live in the middle of almost every fast food place in the area, and if one day I can't think of anything I want for lunch, and oh look there's Taco Bell. LOL

Wait what? What happened with the last Flipper?

Midge, I'm the same way... I don't get it. I'm not talking about complicated foods, but good cookbooks are a dime a dozen and simple recipes are just that - so simple. Cosmosmom, try making a simple lentil soup. You can google a recipe, or just saute onions and garlic, add the lentils, some chicken broth or water, carrots, salt, pepper, and cook until lentils are tender. You may need to add a bit of liquid as you go. Serve with nice bread. Easy as that. I confess I just had a full day of meetings in DC and I'm so freaking whipped. It's so hard to have a day of "power meetings" when you're 18 weeks pregnant. I did great, but I'm so stinking tired... and I want to see Lydia's baby! I need to find the link!

And Janeen's! I've missed so many births in one week!

OMG Janeen he's gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    OMG Janeen he's gorgeous.
    Thank you.