Page 364 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2643143543623633643653663744144648641364 ... LastLast
Results 10,891 to 10,920 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I, uh.... misunderstood my plan once, and got a bill for $1,300.....

I was under the impression I had free long distance.... which I guess I did, but only within my allotted minutes per month... after that it was some outrageous rate
    OMG

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

2. Default

I confess everytime I see Elena Kagan on tv, my mind sees Jimmy Fallon dressed as a woman...

I confess...I don't know who that is. :oops:

I also confess, I sort of dabbled in another message board for a while. It was a place that had older kids like me...but they're primarily Republican. I did pretty good at avoiding those threads that I knew would get me twitching, until the Oil Spill one. The general opinion of the whole board (minus like 3) is that "these things happen" and it's not that big of a deal. I can't cope with such ignorance.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I got a $800 phone bill once (in college.. )because I met a guy online from New Zealand and we got along really well. Then he like, completely changed and we lost touch.

I forget how I broke that one to my parents...
    Last edited by daylilies; 05-11-2010 at 11:29 AM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Elena Kagan or Jimmy Fallon??

Elena Kagan is Obamas pick for the Supreme Court..
    Jimmy Fallon is a comedian that used to be on SNL

Jimmy Fallon...but that makes sense now because the only times I've watched SNL in recent years were when Palin was on, then again when Betty White was on.

He's beautiful, Janeen! Congratulations!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

8. Default

I kinda figured you knew who Elena Kagan was.. lol... but just for kicks.. a side by side pic comparison..

I also confess, I sort of dabbled in another message board for a while. It was a place that had older kids like me...but they're primarily Republican. I did pretty good at avoiding those threads that I knew would get me twitching, until the Oil Spill one. The general opinion of the whole board (minus like 3) is that "these things happen" and it's not that big of a deal. I can't cope with such ignorance.
    I'm going to say this again today but OMG

The oil spill just makes me feel so sick.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I kinda figured you knew who Elena Kagan was.. lol... but just for kicks.. a side by side pic comparison..

Yeah, she's not much of a looker is she? Good thing that doesn't matter much.

p.s. the new pic of you and your girls is adorable!

I heard someone this morning say the oil has gotten to the shore line. I'm so sad about it. I'm almost to the point where I don't even want to listen to or look at the news because, esp with being pregnant, I'm very upset all the time about certain things.
    Just Midge

I agree with how upsetting the oil spill is. It gives me that sinking stomach ache every time I think about it.
    And Ashley, too funny on the comparison pics. Now that's what I'll think every time too.
    I confess that I'm so upset right now I was shaking when I hung up the phone with my dad. He sent out an email to all of my mom's siblings explaining how the meds she takes are effecting her and the fact that we are hoping for 6 months. Her family wasn't really aware of how serious everything has become as she always plays it off. Plus, they are 600+ miles away. The problem was that they were giving my mom grief about missing things, or not returning phone calls and the truth is she doesn't even always remember to eat. He asked them to please call his cell directly to make any plans since my mom hates to miss anything and she'll try to do things she shouldn't do.
    So my mom's brother calls to see if him and his wife can come over yesterday. My dad says yes of course, it would be wonderful. But could they please not plan to spend the night because the nights and mornings can be difficult times and hospice care comes, etc. Well then my aunt goes and asks my dad during dinner if they can stay, in front of my mom. So of course he says yes because he will do nothing to upset my mom. He then leaves them all at the house this morning for a work meeting. My mom just called him upset because my aunt told her that she absolutely must stop taking all of the pain medicine she's taking. On top of that, questioning the decision to stop treatment, telling her she has not exhausted all of her options. Excuse me? How would you know?
    My poor, poor dad. He's so upset. My mom's brain function is suffering so she has really irrational thoughts as it is. We don't know if it's the meds, or the brain cancer reappearing, but either way we keep things mellow and do nothing, ever, to upset her. They have no idea how much pain she is in if she's even late taking her medicine. She is under the care of some of the best university dr's in our area. How dare they? Because you know what? Sometimes I want to beg her to try another treatment. I want to beg her not to give up yet. But how selfish would that be? For me to make her doubt herself? For me to put my needs above hers?
    I'm angry that they didn't respect my dad's wishes. And I'm angry that the presume to have answers when we are all here every day trying to do right by mom. Whew, sorry. That was long.
    Last edited by Bridget; 05-11-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Bridget-I'm literally crying for you. Oh how I wish I could fix this. I don't know if it's the right thing to do or not, but I think if it were me, I'd call them and scream those words at them. Make them feel like crap for their thoughtlessness and selfishness. I'm angry for you.

I'm sorry, Bridget.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I'm so sorry Bridget. That would upset & infuriate me too. Your mother shouldn't be made to feel that she's letting anyone down by refusing treatment. That's her decision, and all you can do is support her and make sure she's as comfortable as possible. I'm sorry some tactless relatives had to disrupt that.

I truly hate that your family is dealing with this.

Oh Bridget. I'm so so sorry that you're going through this right now. When DH's mom was in the last stages of her cancer, things were similar with her friends...not knowing the full story, and doing things like what you say her sister just did, like taking away the pain meds...or worse sometimes, giving her way too much. Dh and his sister had to guard her with their lives at times (their father had already passed)

My heart just breaks for you hearing about that. How do you get people to respect your dad's wishes?? I wish there were an easy answer. Big hugs to you, and your dad.
    Just Midge

So sorry Bridget I can't imagine how hard this all is for everyone.

Dude, Bridget, that's not cool about them being like that. You should talk to them. Ugh, why can't people just listen?

Bridget-I'm literally crying for you. Oh how I wish I could fix this. I don't know if it's the right thing to do or not, but I think if it were me, I'd call them and scream those words at them. Make them feel like crap for their thoughtlessness and selfishness. I'm angry for you.
    This 1000% percent.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

This.

I am VERY upset for you. I cannot understand how people can act like they know what is best for other people. So selfish of them.

Erin

20. Default

This.

They are absolutely ridiculous.. Your dad explained why he didn't want them to stay, and to disrespect his wishes and ask when they KNEW he couldn't say no.... then to say all that to your mom...

I am angry too

Thank you, guys. The mutual anger makes me feel better. But I still can't get it out of my mind. I'm just so angry with anyone who puts any additional stress of any kind on my parents. On my dad especially because he is so relentless with her care.
    And here's the thing about this woman. (my aunt that said that) She is an aggressive catholic. Like, say the rosary several times a day, risk of conversion attempts at any given moment, stuff like that. She makes me very, very uncomfortable to begin with. I said to my dad, "Did she want us to take mom's pain away with prayer?" and he did laugh, which was like music to my ears but then he said he really wondered if she did say something like that and my mom just left it out when she relayed the conversation to him.
    I did a really intense workout just now and I feel much less ready to break. Thanks again for the constant support in here. I you guys.
    And Janeen's baby has the most adorable little face ever.

22. Default

Bridget, Im not sure if its been mentioned before, and I just missed it or what... but is your mom religious?

Bridget, Im not sure if its been mentioned before, and I just missed it or what... but is your mom religious?
    In a way, yes. We were actually raised Catholic and my mom was pretty strict in the ways of the church. My parents started to question things when all of us kids were adults and also when all of those sexual abuse cases came out. Then when my brother told them he was gay, they did a lot of soul searching, found a new church. It's a very progressive, Earth movement sort of church that focuses on current issues and how each person can make a difference. Several of the clergy members are gay so it's a far cry from the stuffy Catholic church we were raised in.
    My mom believes in God. I know that. As far as everything else goes, I sometimes think she's still trying to figure it all out. I'm quite sure she believes in the power of morphine over the power of prayer at this point though.

That is just nuts. I have worked with some of the chaplains at work and have at times looked through our pastoral care books/journals/literature searches(in health care, often palliative care) and there is NO way I could see any of them saying to give up the pain meds and just pray. There is room for both (for those who want to pray).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    That is just nuts. I have worked with some of the chaplains at work and have at times looked through our pastoral care books/journals/literature searches(in health care, often palliative care) and there is NO way I could see any of them saying to give up the pain meds and just pray. There is room for both (for those who want to pray).
    Oh I'm sure it's not common. And I'm not even sure that was my aunt's reasoning. But it could be. She's way out of the norm. She's totally

I'm sorry Bridget. You dad sounds awesome, though. Hugs to you both.

The oil spill stuff really makes me sad too. Especially now that I live in LA. It's really going to affect(effect? ****! I never remember) us.

Bridget-I woke up thinking you of.

BP makes me wanna smack someone. Preferably, one of them.

Oh Bridget I am so sorry. I wish I could do something.

The oil spill has me sick to my stomach. I have now boycotted Exxon, BP, and all things from Japan (after watching the film The Cove).

I am a trained in disaster response so if/when the oil makes it here, I'll be out there helping to clean it up. Dh wants to do the training too, but then we'd have no one to watch the kids if we both went. And as much as I want them to see and help, I think they are still too young and I don't want them around all that oil.

Jenny-did you hear BP was (is?) making volunteers sign a waiver alleviating them of any responsibility if they get sick due to the clean up? That company has me so angry and I'm frustrated because I feel so powerless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Oh Bridget I am so sorry. I wish I could do something.

The oil spill has me sick to my stomach. I have now boycotted Exxon, BP, and all things from Japan (after watching the film The Cove).

I am a trained in disaster response so if/when the oil makes it here, I'll be out there helping to clean it up. Dh wants to do the training too, but then we'd have no one to watch the kids if we both went. And as much as I want them to see and help, I think they are still too young and I don't want them around all that oil.
    Oh Jenny and with where you live and your background with the marine biology, this has to be especially hard.

I wouldn't want to bring the kids out to that this young either.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36