Page 357 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2573073473553563573583593674074578571357 ... LastLast
Results 10,681 to 10,710 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #10681
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    All this talk about unusual food sources has made me hungry for duck. I LOVE duck. Not that you were talking about duck, but someone mentioned not liking it up thread! .
    That was me! I don't know if I don't like it....I just won't eat it or try it. My understanding is that it's rather fatty and I do not like fatty meat at all. I won't even really eat dark meat on turkey or chicken. LOL

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  2. #10682
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    Who the eff does he think he is?! He tried saying that you are not a GOOD woman!? If I were a man Bridget........................... seriously! lol and What did he do with the milk while he was "helping his friend"?

    ...
    I was wondering that too! Milk would be icky after sitting out that long.

    I am normally a fairly easy going person IRL....but I would have opened up a can on my DH if he did that to me.

    He needs to learn how to be a good man.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  3. #10683
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    All this talk about unusual food sources has made me hungry for duck. I LOVE duck.
    When I was little, we were visiting someone in Sausalito on a houseboat and a duck flew right into a power line, got electrocuted, and fell down on the dock in front of me, dead right there. My sister and I petted the duck, watched it evacuate its bowels in its death throes, and then we had it for dinner later (have I mentioned we grew up really really poor?). I still don't like duck, or goose.

    I have heard stories about kids who turn into fanatical vegetarians because they learn about where meat comes from at an older age and it is too much of a shock to their world views.


  4. #10684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I would either have given him choices of t-shirts to wear and let him pick from that.....OR I would have just let him wear the sweatshirt and brought a t-shirt along for when he got too hot. Not something worth a battle over.
    Those are good ideas too. I told him "Go and pick out any shirt you want" and I immediately regretted that. Of course he came down in a sweatshirt. LOL

    I don't think I ever didn't know where meat comes from...
    I had a funny thing about textures though--before I would eat anything, I had to know "Is it crunchy, or chewy?" I don't have many problems with texture now, though.

  5. #10685
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,236

    Default

    I confess that I'm going to my friend's wedding in Germany next month. I'll be staying in an apartment with two other mutual friends (plus one of their husbands). I'm excited.

    It'll also be my first time away from Mia. I hope she does ok!


  6. #10686

    Default

    How fun Sarah! Mia will be fine. How long are you staying?

  7. #10687
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,236

    Default

    Just 3 days - arriving at the crack of dawn on Friday, wedding Saturday, leaving again Sunday night. I wish I could stay longer, but I have to be at work Monday morning.


  8. #10688

    Default

    Yeah, that's too bad. It'll be cool anyway!

  9. #10689
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    Just 3 days - arriving at the crack of dawn on Friday, wedding Saturday, leaving again Sunday night. I wish I could stay longer, but I have to be at work Monday morning.
    You should stop by Leeds and we could go shopping! Enjoy the wedding; I really want to see more parts of Europe besides Spain, but the sun always attracts me there! LOL

  10. #10690
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    That was me! I don't know if I don't like it....I just won't eat it or try it. My understanding is that it's rather fatty and I do not like fatty meat at all. I won't even really eat dark meat on turkey or chicken. LOL
    You know what's funny? I HATE fatty meat and I actually can't stand dark chicken or turkey meat. But I love duck and yes, it's very fatty. I really can't explain it but it's totally different than dark meat chicken. You should really try it. Get some crispy duck at a Chinese restaurant.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  11. #10691
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    When I was little, we were visiting someone in Sausalito on a houseboat and a duck flew right into a power line, got electrocuted, and fell down on the dock in front of me, dead right there. My sister and I petted the duck, watched it evacuate its bowels in its death throes, and then we had it for dinner later (have I mentioned we grew up really really poor?). I still don't like duck, or goose.

    I have heard stories about kids who turn into fanatical vegetarians because they learn about where meat comes from at an older age and it is too much of a shock to their world views.
    Yes, I can see how that would put you off eating something. When I was an infant my dad bought two ducks and my older sister and brother got to name them. They kept them as pets for about three months. Then Dad broke the news to them that he bought them for food - Dad jokes their names were "lunch" and "dinner." My sister and brother refused to eat them, and were totally traumatized. We knew about animals and meat, but I think the problem here was that my dad didn't make it clear that these were NOT pets like our dogs and cats. Anyway, we never did have duck growing up because nobody but my dad would eat it. I first tried it as an adult, when Dad ordered some duck at a restaurant.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  12. #10692

    Default

    I think i had duck once when I was in high school, before I really ever considered where my food came from. Where I am now I only eat standard mid-west farm food. Cow, chicken, pig. I actually have a lamb roast in the crock pot right now that dbf got from the organic farmer we buy our chickens from. I don't like lamb. It tastes bad to me.
    My friend in Alaska only eats moose meat. Her and her husband and kids live on the side of mountain. They don't even have running water! Total live off the land hippies. I adore them. He built their house from trees he chopped down and literally brings home the moose. I've never had but I'm trying to plan a trip for me and the kids to go visit them so I'll try some then.

  13. #10693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    He built their house from trees he chopped down and literally brings home the moose. I've never had but I'm trying to plan a trip for me and the kids to go visit them so I'll try some then.
    This totally reminds me of the first few books of Little House on the Prairie. I think I need to stop by the library and pick some of them up!
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

  14. #10694

    Default

    Gah, too much to catch up on!

    First, Bridget, LOSE YOUR COOL. It's okay. No matter what your BF says when you lose it, you have EVERY RIGHT TO, and his behavior warrants you stuffing rocks up his nose and he should be **** happy you're GOOD ENOUGH not to do that for him. Grrr. I second Lydia, few people make me more angry than your BF. What does he think GOOD is? A woman who will just take his $hit? If that's the case, that IS what he deserves because you deserve far better. I wish, I wish, I wish, I could help you think of a way to change this.

    Sorry about the death discussion guys, I know, it's a bummer. It is. No matter how you explain it. It really sucks that people die and that there's no resolution to that. Even if after death, whatever that entails (something or nothing or something in between) is lovely, looking at it NOW from our vantage point, it all just sucks. But I'm so glad Oscar is honest with his questions, and that I can be comfortably honest in my answers. Much easier than the freaked out fear I had as a kid.

    I've eaten horse. Eh. Unremarkable. Dog was unremarkable, too (though seeing them stacked up behind a cyclo on a cart in China was disturbing, eating the meat was just a little blah). There's very little I haven't tried, though the unusual meats I'm not particularly fond of, just because I'm not used to them, I think. Though I have to say that Alpaca roast is one of the most divine things ever. If I can ever find another farmer who raises them for meat, I'll buy a whole animal. Goat, too, is excellent. Sea cucumber, however, is just stinking nasty. Like bits of jiggly pork fat.

    Auto got his name because we got him at a strip mall while DH was buying a new computer at Best Buy. They were having a shelter-pet-adoption day next door at the PetSmart and we got him there. Sat outside the Best Buy waiting for DH and when I asked Oscar what he wanted to name the cat, he looked at the automatic door and said "automatic door." I said "okay, Auto for short?" and he said yes. So there you have it, sportsfans...



  15. #10695

    Default

    Yes, I think that's where the line is drawn for me too. If I see something as a pet, I can't see myself eating it. That said, I would probably try anything just to try it. I'm very adventurous when it comes to food.

    And duck fat...mmm Crispy skin.... Ok that might not even be a smily LOL
    The restaurant I worked in last used to make its own charcuterie which includes smoked and cured meats such as cured duck "prosciutto". I think I ate more of that stuff than I served.

    That's the biggest thing I miss about that place. Every day someone would walk up to me, hand me something different and yummy and say "try this". Gah.

  16. #10696

    Default

    I also quite like duck, but we don't get them very often here unless someone we know goes duck hunting, which happens not very often...



  17. #10697

    Default

    And crispy skin of any animal that's worthy is the best thing EVER. We recently made our own pork rinds (we buy whole pigs and this butcher sent me a crazy amount of skin) and they were sinful.



  18. #10698

    Default

    Speaking of crispy skin.. when I was still dating my ex, on Thanksgiving me, his mom, and his sister would always fight over the crispiest skin on the turkey. It's so good.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

  19. #10699

    Default

    Seventeen replies later (sorry) - I think that connecting animals with meat is critical from the start. Children need to know where their food comes from. Oscar knows that our farmer friends (we know them and visit their farms) raise animals and we have them killed and butchered for meat. When he asks "what's this?" at dinner, he gets "this is pork, from our pig" or "this is beef, from Frank's cow." He gets it, and he knows some animals are pets or for laying eggs or giving milk, and some animals are killed for meat. Not knowing that is a dangerous disconnection, IMO.

    We'd never kill one of his pets, or anything he was attached to, for food. That's cruel.



  20. #10700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    Speaking of crispy skin.. when I was still dating my ex, on Thanksgiving me, his mom, and his sister would always fight over the crispiest skin on the turkey. It's so good.
    My favorite thing is crispy chicken butts. Pope's Nose, they call them. I get super pissed-off if I get chickens and the butcher's removed the butts (that happens).



  21. #10701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    My favorite thing is crispy chicken butts. Pope's Nose, they call them. I get super pissed-off if I get chickens and the butcher's removed the butts (that happens).
    That sounds so funny. "Oh, MAN! They removed the crispy butt!"
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

  22. #10702

    Default

    Yessss....turkey skin.... I could eat a plate of that, pass on the meat please. LOL
    Too bad I'm going out for Mexican tonight! No crispy skin involved! Haha
    Crispy chicken (and turkey) butts! You guys are killing me!

  23. #10703
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    We'd never kill one of his pets, or anything he was attached to, for food. That's cruel.
    Yeah, I think it was, too. One of the joys of being raised by a brilliant father with no social awareness.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  24. #10704
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    And crispy skin of any animal that's worthy is the best thing EVER. We recently made our own pork rinds (we buy whole pigs and this butcher sent me a crazy amount of skin) and they were sinful.
    I don't like the skin either! LOL If we have chicken with skin, I give mine to Cosmo or DH.

    I wish I wasn't so picky...though I'm way better than I used to be.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  25. #10705
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    I'm making cheeseburgers and asparagus for dinner tonight.

    And my favorite part, the tomato for the burgers. The ones I have now are actually starting to taste like a tomato!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  26. #10706
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    All this talk of food is making me hungry...I just ate an apple and it didn't fill my tummy at all!

    I love crispy chicken, I love crispy duck and pancakes from the Chinese take-away, I love cheeseburgers....lol

    I might have to go get something else to eat....I'm such a bottomless pit at the minute!

  27. #10707

    Default

    Well apparently lunch set me off because I don't feel so good now Must stop reading about food...

  28. #10708

    Default

    Ugh.

    One of my friends joined this FB group "Be kind to nurses. We prevent doctors from accidentally killing you."

    I have no problem with nurses. They do a lot of the grunt work, and they stay with a patient a lot and keep up on a lot of labs and everything. But as someone who will potentially be a physician in about 8 years, this really bothers me. There are a lot of physicians out there who are wonderful. I'm so sick of them getting such a bad rap and hearing about how they don't know anything and they're ignorant and all that. I hear it a lot on here too and it bothers me so much. I don't want to go out in the field and automatically be assumed as someone who is incompetent.

    I hope I don't offend anyone with what I just said. It just really makes me so frustrated.

    ETA: I also want to add that when I was with my ex I lived with a nurse, and the amount of times she thought she had meningitis when she had a headache really pissed me off.
    Last edited by addysonreese; 05-04-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

  29. #10709

    Default

    Nurses are no more competent than doctors. In my opinion, most PEOPLE, no matter their profession, are incompetent. Sorry to say that's my world view, but it is. I work with too many highly trained idiots to feel otherwise.



  30. #10710
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    20,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    Ugh.

    One of my friends joined this FB group "Be kind to nurses. We prevent doctors from accidentally killing you."

    I have no problem with nurses. They do a lot of the grunt work, and they stay with a patient a lot and keep up on a lot of labs and everything. But as someone who will potentially be a physician in about 8 years, this really bothers me. There are a lot of physicians out there who are wonderful. I'm so sick of them getting such a bad rap and hearing about how they don't know anything and they're ignorant and all that. I hear it a lot on here too and it bothers me so much. I don't want to go out in the field and automatically be assumed as someone who is incompetent.

    I hope I don't offend anyone with what I just said. It just really makes me so frustrated.
    For someone who rarely goes and sees a doctor (except now of course)...I actually love doctors. Especially funny and down to earth ones that I can laugh and get a long with. I think they are absolutely brilliant people most of the time. I think about all of the information they have to keep in their noggins and all of the continued education they have to have which must be 10 thousand times what a nurse goes through and I think it's amazing.

    As much as I hated my microbiology professor as a teacher, I don't think I would mind working for him in a nurse/doctor setting. He was pretty funny and he is brilliant for sure, told it like it is and talked nice about nurses as well...he just crammed too much info into every test! LOL
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •