Page 355 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2553053453533543553563573654054558551355 ... LastLast
Results 10,621 to 10,650 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Bridget, I thought some more about Savana and her cousin, and one thing does bother me...the fact that she's keeping a secret. I've always been very uncomfortable about secrets and when the girls were little (and now with Conner) I told them that there are never any secrets in families that love each other. We talked about 'good secrets' like surprise birthday parties and how they would be the only ones to keep...but if there was anything about the secret that could make anyone feel bad, then it should be talked about.

The more I think about this, the more worried I am about what might have been said to her that she's afraid to tell you.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I'm with Chrissy. Secrets in kids that age and you have to wonder what the older child's motivation was, and what else was said. Little bugger.

Chrissy, I'm glad your dad is such a good man for your mom.

I confess we're on to the death discussion AGAIN in my house, as we had a chicken get sick and die this week. Oscar wanted to see it, but it was too late by the time I knew DH had disposed of it and I had to tell Oscar it was really smelly and we didn't need to see it, which was no big deal, but it started another discussion about death. Mama, when Automatic Door (the kitten) dies, can I watch him die? Well honey, probably not, because animals usually go somewhere to be alone when they die. Mama, are people alone when they die? No, honey, people like to be with people they love when they die. When someone is dying, we cuddle them and take care of them to make them comfortable. That's one of the things that makes us different than other animals. Mama, will you be there when I die? Well honey, I'll probably die before you do, when I'm very old, but if you die first I'll be there with you, sure.

Then last night falling asleep, "Mama, I'll be very, very sad when you die because I'll have no mama to cuddle with." Heartbreaker.

Same time, he also "found his testicles" yesterday. Um, apparently I hadn't even thought to tell him about them. I mean, I know we've said "those are your testicles" but yesterday he's watching a movie and was like MOM! I have something IN MY PENIS. There are PITS in there.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Same time, he also "found his testicles" yesterday. Um, apparently I hadn't even thought to tell him about them. I mean, I know we've said "those are your testicles" but yesterday he's watching a movie and was like MOM! I have something IN MY PENIS. There are PITS in there.
    Just had to LOL about that.

Ky and I had a discussion about testicles the other day. He knows about sex and how babies are born but I never gave him an in detpth discussion about where sperm are made so we were talking about how testicles make sperm. He thought it was gross. We are going to be doing biology this summer and I think I'll do the reproductive systems first during our homeschool summer session. We're going to see the Bodies exhibit with the real dead bodies too to supplement it and he's excited about that. But those testicle talk must be popular lately LOL.

And I agree with Chrissy about the older kid thing. I know now that Ky is only 8 he says some weird things. He's a weirdo like me and I know he says some scary things to people. He scared my MIL and my mom talking about ghosts that live in our house. Though when I asked him about it he did say that he does have an inkling that a ghost lives in Elle's room because her door opens and closes by itself. So he thought he was just warning them about the room, they were sleeping in her room when they visited on two seperate occasions. But older kids do say things that a lot of adults seem to think they shouldn't do, like they should have an adult mind or something even though they are still children. People look at my son and seem to believe that he shouldn't be as silly or as sweet as he still is. I hope he remains that way for a long time.

I also would be concerned about the secret though. That would actually scare me, I guess because (and not trying to freak anyone out or anything) because I was sexually abused as a child and my abuser said it should be a secret. I also don't allow secrets because I don't feel that they serve any purpose. I would do my best to coax out of her everything that her cousin spoke to her about that she remembered.

Erin

Thanks Erin and Chrissy. I will speak to her about it again tonight. I hadn't thought about the secret that way but you are so right. It is scary. And I hope I was clear that I totally understand that children that age are still children and that I didn't think he was trying to be a jerk or anything.

Oscar.

LOL Oscar.

So sad about the death conversation though
    And I just have to ask...how did your kitten get the name Automatic Door?

Josh got into the public preschool! I'm so happy for him.

6. Default

I confess I think Automatic Door is a pretty awesome name for a kitten!!!

I confess I believe I was served horse meat instead of beef at lunch yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Thanks Erin and Chrissy. I will speak to her about it again tonight. I hadn't thought about the secret that way but you are so right. It is scary. And I hope I was clear that I totally understand that children that age are still children and that I didn't think he was trying to be a jerk or anything.

Oscar.
    You're approach was totally fine. It just reminded me of other situations where the mother wasn't as tactful in her concern about the older child. One went so far as to call an inquisitive 8-year-old (Sydney's age at the time) as an annoying brat just because she liked her baby so much. So yeah, I'm hypersensitive, but not because of anything you've said.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    LOL Oscar.

So sad about the death conversation though
    And I just have to ask...how did your kitten get the name Automatic Door?

Josh got into the public preschool! I'm so happy for him.
    I wannt know about Automatic Door the kitty too.

And yay for Josh!!

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I confess I think Automatic Door is a pretty awesome name for a kitten!!!

I confess I believe I was served horse meat instead of beef at lunch yesterday...
    Wha???

*gulp* Come again?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Wha???
    My dad took us out to lunch yesterday, and I ordered a chimichanga with ground beef... actually.. we all ordered our meals with ground beef...

When the food came, we started eating, and I was looking at it, and something didn't look normal, but I didn't really think too hard about it.. Then my mom mentioned that the meat looked funny... More like horse meat.. It had an orangey color to both the meat, and the grease/fat... Not the pinkish of undercooked beef, but it actually looked orange.. It didn't really taste super different, but there was something "off" from normal. It wasn't quite the same consistency of ground beef either...

That's odd. I don't know what ground horse meat would look like. They're not supposed to serve it to you unaware are they? I know there's horse-meat controversy, but I honestly don't get it. I don't know how it's any more inhumane to kill a horse for meat than it is a cow. All that being said-I don't think I'd want any and I'm certain I wouldn't want it without knowing about it first.

Are you sure it wasn't just the color of the seasoning?

13. Default

Are you sure it wasn't just the color of the seasoning?
    Thats what I was thinking at first, but we eat at this place alot, and its never been like that before...

idk.. I've traveled alot, and eaten some weird things, so it really doesn't phase me... but like Chrissy said.. I'd like to be aware of what I'm eating.

Is horse meat common in the States? I've eaten it and it's softer than beef. It can taste really good, but sometimes it has this weird flavour that I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    Is horse meat common in the States? I've eaten it and it's softer than beef. It can taste really good, but sometimes it has this weird flavour that I don't like.
    Not that I know of. I've personally never eaten it.

What I have eaten, though, is strawberries. I have some right now. So good.

That was random.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

16. Default

No, its not very common at all... The more I hear from people that have eaten it, the more convinced I am that it was horse... My mom had horse when she was in Sweeden, and another friend had it in South America...

and yes the strawberries thing was random! lol.

I'm not sure how I feel about horse meat...I have eaten some odd things too but like others have said, I'd rather know that I'm eating it.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I have eaten horse meat. In France. It was okay. I have never even seen it available in the US, except maybe by special order.

Oscar named the kitten Automatic Door, but I can't remember if it was just a random good name choice or if he'd been having a fascination with a local door at that time. I think it's a great name, too. My sister named our first cat Yucca Fiber because we were reading Island of the Blue Dolphins and she made everything out of yucca fiber.

Oscar's discussion about Stacy dying made me get all weepy, and even the funny testicle comment didn't cheer me up.

I don't like to think of my kids imagining life without me or their father either. I avoid those thoughts as much as possible.

I would be REALLY upset if I ate a horse. About the only thing worse to me would be dogs. In my heart I would be a vegetarian if I could...I really only do beef, chicken, turkey and once in a while pork. I feel bad even doing that....when I took a class called Technology and Philosophy, it was suggested that it might be unethical to eat meat if you weren't willing to go out and kill it yourself (and I could NOT do that...I'm NOT a hunter and grew up a city girl so my parents weren't out breaking chickens necks).
    I basically can only eat meat that comes wrapped in plastic and doesn't look like an animal. And I feel bad about that...but I didn't grow up eating beans either and have no clue what to do with them....

when I was 16 and in France, I told my friend I would kill her if she let me eat horse...and I refused snails too. As it was the hamburger tasted weird to me....I know think that it was because it was probably more natural grass fed instead of the stuff we get in stores here.
    My friends mom I think started feeling bad I wasn't eating much but really I was like 240-250 lbs when I was there...I wasn't starving and I tend to not eat much when traveling. One night she made tasty chicken and I was hungry so ate more than I had been. After that we had chicken almost every night. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess that Mia has been really crazyfied recently. I'm talking tantrum after tantrum over everything imaginable. This evening she had a tantrum because I put chicken in the oven ("No mama, I want to eat it cooold!!!").

I think it's her 2 year molars coming through. At least I hope it's that. I miss my easy going girl.

LOL...Josh does that with food too. He wants to have raw meat, or frozen food, or uncooked oatmeal...anything that doesn't make sense!

I can't tell you it ends soon, but you do kind of get used to it, and come up with clever ways to get around the tantrum some of the time.

I think it's far more ethically acceptable to eat a wild horse that's had a good life, than it is to eat your standard farmed livestock.

It's funny how different meats are taboo. I get irritated with people who think it's wrong to eat horse meat, but at the same time I probably wouldn't want to eat cat or dog, which of course makes me a big fat hypocrite.

I confess that I'm having some major O cramping tonight. This midcycle cramping is worse than anything before AF or during. at least it waited until I got home from work.

The good news is I got some action yesterday afternoon! I think that this is the first time this year that we had a cycle with good timing. Last month we didn't even DTD once....it's just been crazy with Dh doing mandatory overtime at work and being third shift on top of that....and than just being kind of over this whole TTC thing. And when we do have time together I'm dragging him around picking out finishes for the house or something else house related.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Unwrapped is doing a bit on Five Guys. Om nom nom.

I think it's far more ethically acceptable to eat a wild horse that's had a good life, than it is to eat your standard farmed livestock.

It's funny how different meats are taboo. I get irritated with people who think it's wrong to eat horse meat, but at the same time I probably wouldn't want to eat cat or dog, which of course makes me a big fat hypocrite.
    I would rather not eat either! I even got a bit icked out when work had a buffalo week and I was going to try it but than didn't. I don't think that i have ever had lamb, I don't do fish or seafood, I don't do duck, I don't do rabbit, I don't do venison....

I am a fairly picky eater, which doesn't help. LOL The list of what I don't eat is a lot longer than what I do. Thank god I actually do like a number of veggies and fruits.

I think that it depends on how we look at animals...I see a horse as a pet...and a dog as a family member. My girl is my baby..and the of her species as being food, well that is just wrong.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

What is Five Guys?

I have dancing with the stars on...DH is still sleeping before work. I really wish that I had even a tiny bit of coordination....and that I could talk DH into doing ballroom dancing with me. But since i can barely handle walking....LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    What is Five Guys?

I have dancing with the stars on...DH is still sleeping before work. I really wish that I had even a tiny bit of coordination....and that I could talk DH into doing ballroom dancing with me. But since i can barely handle walking....LOL
    Five Guys is Five Guys Burgers and Fries.. the BEST fries and burgers ever. Oh goodness.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Our therapist recommended we try dancing lessons together, but DH has a serious anxiety and paranoia about people watching him, he thinks everyone would be laughing at him. That and he didn't want to drive more than 20 minutes to do it, and we couldn't find a place in town. I have two left feet also, but I would have been up for dancing lessons if he had wanted to!

And yes, what Lauren said about Five Guys. (did you know they are actually 5 brothers?) They are awesome. It's so not good for me that one opened just a couple minutes away.

I had no idea who "Five Guys" were, so I googled it assuming you were talking about some hot guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I would rather not eat either! I even got a bit icked out when work had a buffalo week and I was going to try it but than didn't. I don't think that i have ever had lamb, I don't do fish or seafood, I don't do duck, I don't do rabbit, I don't do venison....

I am a fairly picky eater, which doesn't help. LOL The list of what I don't eat is a lot longer than what I do. Thank god I actually do like a number of veggies and fruits.

I think that it depends on how we look at animals...I see a horse as a pet...and a dog as a family member. My girl is my baby..and the of her species as being food, well that is just wrong.
    Why not be a vegetarian then?