Page 349 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2492993393473483493503513593994498491349 ... LastLast
Results 10,441 to 10,470 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Ugh-I've been getting really bad about that. I used to have an excellent memory for faces/names...even voices/names because I worked switchboard at a mental health clinic that had nearly 700 active clients. I knew a good share of them via voice. Not any more

I don't know if it's on of those "you lose it if you don't use it" or if it's just 'old' age.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh, Mia said the funniest thing yesterday. She's sick, so we've been giving her suppositories to keep her fever down. Mia calls them "butt medicine".

Anyway, yesterday DH was taking a tylenol. Mia watched wide-eyed and exclaimed "Look Mamma! Daddy's eating butt medicine!"

omg! roflmao!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    Oh, Mia said the funniest thing yesterday. She's sick, so we've been giving her suppositories to keep her fever down. Mia calls them "butt medicine".

Anyway, yesterday DH was taking a tylenol. Mia watched wide-eyed and exclaimed "Look Mamma! Daddy's eating butt medicine!"

I think I'm going to suggest the Lost Symbol to Jonathan as our next audiobook. We just finished book 12 of the Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) and are both depressed we have to wait till appx April 2011 for the next one. Grrrrr. Unless . . . . since he finished Codex Alera he might put out book 13 6 months early.

OMG that's freakin awesome!!! I totally needed that
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

There's actually an institute for Noetic Science out there. Really bright people, really interesting stuff. http://www.noetic.org.

I "buy it" hook line and sinker. It's basically the concept that actions cause reactions, which is solidly and empirically proven in other sciences. So the idea is that your consciousness is (or results in) energy that impacts results, people, places, and things. That all things are interconnected. I don't buy it because someone came up with a good philosophy, I buy it because I've practiced some of the concepts in my own life. Anyway...

I confess that at about 9:00 this morning, I told DH I was going upstairs to read. I took a nap instead. He totally didn't fall for it though, because I never say I'm going upstairs to read. LOL

Some days, I can handle Josh waking up at 5:30, and other days I know I won't make it through the day (or even to nap time) if I don't sneak in a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    There's actually an institute for Noetic Science out there. Really bright people, really interesting stuff. http://www.noetic.org.

I "buy it" hook line and sinker. It's basically the concept that actions cause reactions, which is solidly and empirically proven in other sciences. So the idea is that your consciousness is (or results in) energy that impacts results, people, places, and things. That all things are interconnected. I don't buy it because someone came up with a good philosophy, I buy it because I've practiced some of the concepts in my own life. Anyway...
    I tried reading about it, but I find it extremely vague and wishy-washy.

That's what I was reading. It's not my cup of tea, but that's ok. I'm happy if other people find something that works for them.

Good enough. But just know that it's not like I consider it a "religion." They have an interesting perspective, and some of their studies and ideas are very cool. I like the idea of applying science to thought processes, and consciousness. It seems much more valuable than trying to "find god."

Yeah I was checking out the website and it is interesting! I hadn't even heard of it until I was reading that book.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Just found my best friend is pg....well I had a feeling yesterday but it was confirmed today. I'm happy for her. But I'm bummed for me. She tried for 3 months (and has a 6 yr old that was a surprise baby).....I've been trying for almost 3 years.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

14. Default

I confess I got to do braided pigtails in Audris hair for the VERY first time today! I almost died from the cuteness!!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    But do you think you'll tell him a bunch of different answers when he asks you questions? Like, some people believe this and some people believe this and...etc? Or will you just, for example, say Bambi's mom is not coming back because she died and when someone dies they don't come back. And then approach the subject of heaven when he hears about it and asks about it?
    In the case of Bambi, I would just say that she died and is not coming back. But since your BF mentioned heaven, not addressing what heaven is would be confusing IMO. My son, because I have an uber religious family has heard of heaven. When my FIL was ill, he asked if he was going to go to heaven and where was heaven. So I told him what I thought about death. I also explained heaven to him and what people (our family and my MIL in particular who mentioned it to him to make him ask about it) think it is. I read him some parts of the Bible about it. He asked why didn't I think people would go to heaven and I explained to him that I thought it wasn't real and was a fantasy just like some of the fantastical things he liked to hear about or read about that he knew were not real. Like Superman, as he knew that Superman was in books and movies and could fly in those books and movies and he loved Superman but knew that Superman wasn't real even as a 3 or 4 year old. So I didn't really think it was over his head. I agree that you shouldn't use "some people" because that is too broad, but in our circumstances some people are my family and my inlaws and my FIL himself who had mentioned it and it would be impossible for me to keep my son completely afway from his family and that is not something that I want to do. I think children understand a lot of things that we as adults sometimes don't give them credit for and that it doesn't hurt to explain heaven and even hell in certain contexts if they have been exposed to the word and ask about it.

Erin

Hey everyone. How are ya'll?

I'm okay. Sore. After walking four miles yesterday, lol, I have a couple of blood blisters on my foot and I'm aching, but other than that I'm good. Dealing with more petty comments on FB that I just don't have time for either.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Just found my best friend is pg....well I had a feeling yesterday but it was confirmed today. I'm happy for her. But I'm bummed for me. She tried for 3 months (and has a 6 yr old that was a surprise baby).....I've been trying for almost 3 years.
    I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I confess I got to do braided pigtails in Audris hair for the VERY first time today! I almost died from the cuteness!!
    That's so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    In the case of Bambi, I would just say that she died and is not coming back. But since your BF mentioned heaven, not addressing what heaven is would be confusing IMO. My son, because I have an uber religious family has heard of heaven. When my FIL was ill, he asked if he was going to go to heaven and where was heaven. So I told him what I thought about death. I also explained heaven to him and what people (our family and my MIL in particular who mentioned it to him to make him ask about it) think it is. I read him some parts of the Bible about it. He asked why didn't I think people would go to heaven and I explained to him that I thought it wasn't real and was a fantasy just like some of the fantastical things he liked to hear about or read about that he knew were not real. Like Superman, as he knew that Superman was in books and movies and could fly in those books and movies and he loved Superman but knew that Superman wasn't real even as a 3 or 4 year old. So I didn't really think it was over his head. I agree that you shouldn't use "some people" because that is too broad, but in our circumstances some people are my family and my inlaws and my FIL himself who had mentioned it and it would be impossible for me to keep my son completely afway from his family and that is not something that I want to do. I think children understand a lot of things that we as adults sometimes don't give them credit for and that it doesn't hurt to explain heaven and even hell in certain contexts if they have been exposed to the word and ask about it.

Erin
    That is a really good way of looking at it and explaining it.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I'm with Erin. If your kids are exposed to the topic or bring it up themselves - you answer them directly. But you also include your opinion, and a heavy dose of truth and fact.

Speaking of discussing religion with kids, I just got an email from Mia's daycare about a conference regarding how to teach daycare kids about various religions.

I'm sorry but I don't want some daycare teacher talking to my child about that stuff. That's my & DH's job. Grrrrr.

I don't get why it's even an issue at a public daycare center.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Speaking of discussing religion with kids, I just got an email from Mia's daycare about a conference regarding how to teach daycare kids about various religions.

I'm sorry but I don't want some daycare teacher talking to my child about that stuff. That's my & DH's job. Grrrrr.

I don't get why it's even an issue at a public daycare center.
    Especially since you're not in the US.

Yeah, we don't have full separation of church & state here. It's especially weird seeing as it's one of the least religious countries in the world. The church is dying out, so they're clinging on for dear life, and part of that is their involvement with the education system.

I knew the hospital my plastic surgeon participates with was religious (I think Catholic supported, but I'm not 100% sure). Anyway, when I was checking in Monday morning a guy came over the loudspeaker and did a prayer for everyone. Talk about uncomfortable! I'd never actually been in there as a patient before...I'm just glad no one asked me my religious beliefs D

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I knew the hospital my plastic surgeon participates with was religious (I think Catholic supported, but I'm not 100% sure). Anyway, when I was checking in Monday morning a guy came over the loudspeaker and did a prayer for everyone. Talk about uncomfortable! I'd never actually been in there as a patient before...I'm just glad no one asked me my religious beliefs D
    That is awfully odd. I don't think I've ever been to a hospital (whether visiting or as a patient) that has done that. I'd be uncomfortable too!

It was ok...I did know they were religiously supported, but it's not my normal hospital so I just wasn't expecting that. I did wonder if my PS was praying for my boobies!

It was ok...I did know they were religiously supported, but it's not my normal hospital so I just wasn't expecting that. I did wonder if my PS was praying for my boobies!

I just haven't been around hospitals that are religiously supported.. not that I know of anyway.

Who is the patron saint of boobies?

After the gastric bypass I had a chaplain person come in to chat and try to pray with me. I was just like um no thanks. She was like, are you sure, this is a time when you could use a lot of support. I was like, I'm sure, I'm not a believer and I have my husband and all are families for support. She finally left after a few minutes.

I had to be polite though because I used to work at that hospital.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Patron saint of boobies! hahahahaha
    We saw a bunny in our yard yesterday! It was so cute and Josh loved it.