Page 332 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2322823223303313323333343423824328321332 ... LastLast
Results 9,931 to 9,960 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Okay, just looked up a popular science book I am going to read. It's called "Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body."

This is a quote from the author:
    A Note from Author Neil Shubin

This book grew out of an extraordinary circumstance in my life. On account of faculty departures, I ended up directing the human anatomy course at the University of Chicago medical school. Anatomy is the course during which nervous first-year medical students dissect human cadavers while learning the names and organization of most of the organs, holes, nerves, and vessels in the body. This is their grand entrance to the world of medicine, a formative experience on their path to becoming physicians. At first glance, you couldn't have imagined a worse candidate for the job of training the next generation of doctors: I'm a fish paleontologist.

It turns out that being a paleontologist is a huge advantage in teaching human anatomy. Why? The best roadmaps to human bodies lie in the bodies of other animals. The simplest way to teach students the nerves in the human head is to show them the state of affairs in sharks. The easiest roadmap to their limbs lies in fish. Reptiles are a real help with the structure of the brain. The reason is that the bodies of these creatures are simpler versions of ours.

During the summer of my second year leading the course, working in the Arctic, my colleagues and I discovered fossil fish that gave us powerful new insights into the invasion of land by fish over 375 million years ago. That discovery and my foray into teaching human anatomy led me to a profound connection. That connection became this book.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

That is incredibly cool. So, so, cool.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

I tried to read that on vacation - it was actually really technical, to the point where I got bored. I kept waiting for him to make it exciting, but he never really did. Of course, I was on vacation so there was some wine and late nights involved. Might have had something to do with my low tolerance for technical stuff.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Well, it doesn't strike me as a beach read! But I might try it out.

Oh, and I have lost all ability to concentrate after having the baby. I should have mentioned that. I swear I can't believe that I don't leave a trail of brains behind me these days. Does Mommy brain ever go away? I'm joking, but I'm totally serious, too. Will I ever be able to concentrate again?

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

6. Default

84% on my final!!! and clinicals start thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    wooooooohoooooo!!!!!!!!

That's awesome!

Nice job, mama!
    I am making a braided rag rug. And it's wonderfully meditative.

shutterbird Guest

Great job, Ashley!

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Oh, and I have lost all ability to concentrate after having the baby. I should have mentioned that. I swear I can't believe that I don't leave a trail of brains behind me these days. Does Mommy brain ever go away? I'm joking, but I'm totally serious, too. Will I ever be able to concentrate again?
    It's gotten a little better for me, but I've always been a little bit spacy, so that doesn't help.
    Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Nice job, mama!
    I am making a braided rag rug. And it's wonderfully meditative.
    Neat! Are you making it for yourself, or someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    Then I called the hospital to ask about the big bill of 3,057.00. I had called before, but got nowhere with the financial aid office. When I called again, the woman said that I'd have to make a payment of 500.00 and then be able to do a payment plan, and I said I'd been unemployed. She said that she needed to speak to someone before giving me more information. I waited, and when she got back she told me that a charity organization paid my bill in full.

Basically.. it's all over. And I am crying so hysterically I can't even seen the screen right now. I cannot believe something that good happened.
    Oh that's wonderful!! I'm so happy for you!

It shouldn't have ever happened though. This is one reason (among many) that I too am for the health care bill.

I've talked a bit with a professor here at Cornell about my daughter Bobbie and he took it upon himself to set up a little meeting for her and the top person of the Asian Studies Dept. Bobbie has studied Japanese on her own for about 3 years or more now, and would like to teach English to Japanese students one day.

I'm beyond excited-first, I'm very touched that he's been so interested in her academics and has gone to all this trouble. Secondly (more importantly) this will hopefully do a lot for her self confidence and help her pursue her goals. She's extremely bright, but lacks confidence and sometimes lets peers get to her. She certainly would not be a 'misfit' at Cornell. I think she'd fit right in here.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    I am in tears right now.

I've been fretting over my hospital bills from last year; collections has been calling and I've had no money to pay them.

I finally got my tax check and paid the first bill of 150.00. Then I called the collections agency for the 410.00 and they said if I didn't start making payments, I was gonna have to go to court. After speaking with my mom, she said she would pay the bill by the end of this month.

Then I called the hospital to ask about the big bill of 3,057.00. I had called before, but got nowhere with the financial aid office. When I called again, the woman said that I'd have to make a payment of 500.00 and then be able to do a payment plan, and I said I'd been unemployed. She said that she needed to speak to someone before giving me more information. I waited, and when she got back she told me that a charity organization paid my bill in full.

Basically.. it's all over. And I am crying so hysterically I can't even seen the screen right now. I cannot believe something that good happened.
    That's amazing Lauren!! That must be a HUGE weight off your shoulders!

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    BLAH BLAH BLAH. I'll stop talking to myself now.
    What's going on Kim?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I've talked a bit with a professor here at Cornell about my daughter Bobbie and he took it upon himself to set up a little meeting for her and the top person of the Asian Studies Dept. Bobbie has studied Japanese on her own for about 3 years or more now, and would like to teach English to Japanese students one day.

I'm beyond excited-first, I'm very touched that he's been so interested in her academics and has gone to all this trouble. Secondly (more importantly) this will hopefully do a lot for her self confidence and help her pursue her goals. She's extremely bright, but lacks confidence and sometimes lets peers get to her. She certainly would not be a 'misfit' at Cornell. I think she'd fit right in here.
    That's fantastic news Chrissy! It's so important for bright kids to have opportunities like that. I'm sure college will open up a whole new world for her.

I confess that I feel like I need a stiff drink after reading some of the threads on the boards today.

Chrissy, can she take some classes at Cornell, even if not for credit? I think peer influence when a kid really excels in a particular area can be so detrimental. If she takes some classes "just for the experience" or perhaps volunteers somehow in the asian studies department, it could open her mind to what's possible and make her realize that her little girlfriends are full of kid-crap

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Chrissy, can she take some classes at Cornell, even if not for credit? I think peer influence when a kid really excels in a particular area can be so detrimental. If she takes some classes "just for the experience" or perhaps volunteers somehow in the asian studies department, it could open her mind to what's possible and make her realize that her little girlfriends are full of kid-crap
    Professor Boyd just stopped in my office to talk about this. He used to work on the acceptance committee here and said that if she takes a class here this summer, it will go a long way in helping her get accepted in her chosen degree program later.

And it would OH so help her in terms of getting her out of the system she's in - my guess from what you say is she's precocious and needs a little dose of what the real world can offer her...

And, I confess I am now OUT OF MY FIRST TRIMESTER! GO ME!

And it would OH so help her in terms of getting her out of the system she's in - my guess from what you say is she's precocious and needs a little dose of what the real world can offer her...
    Absolutely. She's so world-minded-I honestly have no idea where she gets it from. I've shared my philosophies, but her ideas are her own. She does her own research and comes to her own decisions on what she thinks is 'right' and 'fair'...and bless her heart, she tries to stand alone and argue her stances with the republican peers in her classes. Usually she does really well, but they have driven her to tears too. She's definitely felt very alone, and I just know at a place like Cornell she'll find more people like her that she can connect with intellectually. She listens to me when I tell her that, but I don't think she fully believes me.

I am really so happy for you!!

Kids like her are the reason I think our system is broken. Many of them don't have moms like you to support them and push them past the bull****, and even those that DO get such crap that that it takes half a lifetime to recover. Good for you, and HER!

I admit, I worry a lot that I'm not enough and she'll give up some day. I certainly hope not.

You're enough. Give her the opportunities and she'll take them.

Woo hoo!!! grow baby grow!!!

I admit, I worry a lot that I'm not enough and she'll give up some day. I certainly hope not.

I think all moms have this fear. I think you are being a wonderful advocate for her and it's fantastic that you have the relationships that you do with the profs at Cornell to help give her bigger opportunities. What school district are you in?? I hope that she'll get a spot at the charter school..it's not for all kids, but for some it's just what they need. Same thing with ACS.
    Just Midge

DH just called me to tell me he gets to go on yet ANOTHER fabulous trip without me.

He went to New Zealand in February, and now in May he gets to go to Cabo San Lucas.

He did say that I am invited to go the the New Orleans Wine and Food Festival but I declined this because the sustained level of drunkenness you have to maintain is beyond my interest or ability.

I'm generally okay with his trips, but it just seems like every other weeks he jets off to another fabulous vacation destination. And JoJo is being very much the toddler these days so I am feeling annoyed at being left to handle her alone so much.

I'm just venting here because I don't want dh to feel bad or guilty. I feel better now...

Quote Originally Posted by midgeend View Post
    I think all moms have this fear. I think you are being a wonderful advocate for her and it's fantastic that you have the relationships that you do with the profs at Cornell to help give her bigger opportunities. What school district are you in?? I hope that she'll get a spot at the charter school..it's not for all kids, but for some it's just what they need. Same thing with ACS.
    The girls are all currently going to Candor schools-which suck. Bobbie will (hopefully) return to Owego for her senior year.

It's Jessica (who is in 9th grade) who hopes to attend the charter school in Ithaca. She's very different from her sister-more social and less interested in world issues and academics. For a while she talked of joining the military but thankfully has changed her mind. She bounces around between ideas, but she's talked about becoming a vet tech quite a bit. She may take some equestrian programs here at Cornell. She loves horses and even though she wasn't ever really around them, she didn't hesitate to throw on a helmet and hop on one as soon as the opportunity presented itself. She's fearless and spirited and fun...even though Bobbie and Jessica are polar opposites, the get along fabulously and are really supportive of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    DH just called me to tell me he gets to go on yet ANOTHER fabulous trip without me.
    That would be incredibly hard. I know it feels like it'll never end, but the toddler years do go by so quickly. One day you will be so very, very glad you had the opportunity to be with her.

You're enough. Its usually just takes one person. And when that one person is mom, it's even better.

Absolutely. She's so world-minded-I honestly have no idea where she gets it from. I've shared my philosophies, but her ideas are her own. She does her own research and comes to her own decisions on what she thinks is 'right' and 'fair'...and bless her heart, she tries to stand alone and argue her stances with the republican peers in her classes. Usually she does really well, but they have driven her to tears too. She's definitely felt very alone, and I just know at a place like Cornell she'll find more people like her that she can connect with intellectually. She listens to me when I tell her that, but I don't think she fully believes me.

!!

that is so cool that Bobbi would have an opportunity like that at Cornell. If nothing else to convince her that college is soooooo much better than high school!
    I found HS kind of boring and skipped a lot by calling myself in sick. But I just loved college and wish that I could have just been a student forever.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

shutterbird Guest

{ Hi, I'm invisible. }

I see you.