Page 329 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2292793193273283293303313393794298291329 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,870 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I ask because - did anyone read the book Outliers? There's a bit in there about the age of children and their ability to learn math. Statistically speaking, those of us who were young for our class have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    I ask because - did anyone read the book Outliers? There's a bit in there about the age of children and their ability to learn math. Statistically speaking, those of us who were young for our class have issues.
    I haven't but have heard that is a good book. It's been popular in our library.

I confess I'm a bad librarian who works in a totally non-fiction library but rarely reads any of our books (I read a lot but I like fiction and especially series).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Hi everyone!

I *shouldn't* be hanging out here, but needed a break. And you are all being TOO INTERESTING!

I was four when I started kindergarten (turned 5 that October) and I'm pretty good at math. Okay, I'm very good at math. Actually, I always got higher grades in math classes than my physics courses, eventhough I got all my degrees in physics. BUT: I was crappy at math until about fifth grade. An AWESOME teacher saw that I didn't suck, but was, in fact, bored to death. If it hadn't been for her, I probably would have thought I didn't like math and wasn't good at it. So it took a lucky break.

And I did read and LOVED Outliers. So interesting. Can't wait until I submit this thesis and I can read for fun again!

Alright. Back to work for me.
    Norah! (3 yr)

I have issues all right

I see with my girls they're generally either really good at math or reading/writing. Bobbie is an excellent student, but English does come easier to her than math. Although she does take an advanced level math, so it's not like she's struggling to learn it. Jessica is the only one who started Kindergarten at 4, which she repeated.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I'm not sure what age I started school. I know I was in a special preschool and early intervention stuff for a while (for physical issues) but I think I started school on time. My birthday is in May.

For those of you who "suck at math" (I do, too) - were you young for your school grade? Meaning, did you turn 5 in the six months before you started kindergarten, (say, March on) instead of prior?
    I started school when I just turned 5 (I'm an August baby) and I've always been fine with math.

Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    Speaking of school.. girls..

I GOT ACCEPTED TO UTA TODAY!!!
    Congrats!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

For those of you who "suck at math" (I do, too) - were you young for your school grade? Meaning, did you turn 5 in the six months before you started kindergarten, (say, March on) instead of prior?
    I turned 5 the February before kindergarten, so I wasn't young for my class. However, I skipped fourth grade so after that I was always the youngest. I've always been decent at math--not brilliant the way my dh is, but I always plugged along and got As and every once in a while I could get this brief glimpse of how everything just fit and worked magically before it vanished and I had to go back to solving things the hard way. I did take Algebra early back when they were just starting to offer it to 7th-graders, and I remember it being a very difficult and frustrating experience, along the same lines as learning to tie my shoes. Just the word "factoring" still makes me tense. But I did it.

I think I'm about half analytical and half artistic, not that they're totally separate. I paint, draw, write, play instruments, and also love the crisp logic of science (and can admire math even if I'm not intuitively successful at it).

My sister (born in November) has always been bad at math. I think it is partially psychological, and partially dyslexia. To this day, she cannot divide 600 by 6 without a calculator (she was trying to figure out her monthly insurance costs based on a twice-yearly bill).

Oh and I forgot to say congrats Lauren!

I turned 5 in June and started K late August, so I guess on the younger side. I don't remember having any problems with math in early grade school (but DO remember having issues with writing and especially with cursive). I was also in part of the group that got a head start in 7th grade to take Algebra. Awesome teacher. He made it fun and interesting and got me the early year jump so I finished with AP Calculus my senior year.

I love the math classes (though I hated proofs in Geometry) and hated stuff like English and history. I was really thankful that my senior English class was AP, so that that C counted as a B. And my B in AP History counted as an A.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

I confess I'm trying not to cry at work.

Jonathan reconnected with a high school buddy in OH about 5 years ago, Ron. He stayed overnight at our house in KC on his way to CA. One visit in the 16 years since HS. He's really been keeping in touch with him lately and they will talk on the phone or email and such. Ron was in a motorcycle accident a few weeks ago. Lost control in loose gravel and was thrown into a light pole. They put him in a medically induced coma for a week to give him time to heal. Both arms are broken (and J says they had to drain blood from one with a needle because of swelling) and he has pneumonia. They took him off the coma meds and said it may take him a while to come out because of his size (over 300 lb). It's been over a week and he's still not out. He has no insurance. They're not sure he's going to make and are talking about taking him off the machines next week.

Jonathan is devastated. We were making plans to go see him sometime and he was going to come to KC too. He has a 9 year old son. I am so sad. I liked him the first time I talked to him on the phone and the visit with him only solidified that.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

That is so sad.

12. Default

Oh Krista I am so sorry... Sending my thoughts to you and J.. and the friend of course.

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

That's really interesting. I was young and had a hard time with math all through school. When I went to college I decided to start at the beginning and re-learn everything. I literally started in a class called "basic math." I started really understanding everything and actually liked math by the time I reached all my required classes.

I was 4 years 11 months when I started kindergarten. Which meant I was 17 when I moved away for college (350 miles away). I was extremely immature for my age and the youngest child in the family. I really, really wish I could have waited and started college at 18 but my parents made it clear that not going to college was not an option for me. If I'd started later I'm sure it would have been easier for me the first time around. Some kids would have been okay at that age but I wasn't. I should really read Outliers - I'll remember that.

In my case, though, I know it wasn't just being young for my grade because I went through psych/academic testing to qualify for special ed and performance is based on comparison to same age (year and month) peers, rather than grade level.

Lauren, CONGRATS! I'm so glad you got in.

Ashley, your girls are ADORABLE!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I confess that I took my mom shopping last night and she had such a great time. She told me over and over how nice it was and how we should do it more often. I cried all the way home. I just can't shake this guilt. My mom always wanted to do things with me and take me shopping and the like. I am just not the kind of person that enjoys shopping with other people. I never even went with my girlfriends. I like to get in and out. And I hate the mall. I just feel sad that I didn't suck it up and go with her more. And I feel bad she never got to plan my wedding or make my wedding dress like we always said. I never did much with her at all because I didn't want to. I was selfish. I know I need to shake the guilt and just focus on right now. But I haven't gotten there yet.

Interesting. I am an August kid, and so yes young for my class, and I was very bad at math. I think if I were to relearn everything now, I'd be excellent at it, because I have way better focus than I used to...I don't have any number issues...I like certain numbers more than others - but I think that's true of everyone, isn't it?
    Just Midge

Oh, I'm sorry to see that Krista. How sad for your dh, and his friend's family and all.
    Just Midge

That is really interesting! Probably would explain why I do so poorly and my mother (who went to school on time and was the right age) is wonderful at it.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Oh and I forgot to say congrats Lauren!
    Thank you girls!

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I turned 5 in June and started K late August, so I guess on the younger side. I don't remember having any problems with math in early grade school (but DO remember having issues with writing and especially with cursive). I was also in part of the group that got a head start in 7th grade to take Algebra. Awesome teacher. He made it fun and interesting and got me the early year jump so I finished with AP Calculus my senior year.

I love the math classes (though I hated proofs in Geometry) and hated stuff like English and history. I was really thankful that my senior English class was AP, so that that C counted as a B. And my B in AP History counted as an A.
    So um.. you wanna help me when I take my pre-med calculus class??

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I confess I'm trying not to cry at work.

Jonathan reconnected with a high school buddy in OH about 5 years ago, Ron. He stayed overnight at our house in KC on his way to CA. One visit in the 16 years since HS. He's really been keeping in touch with him lately and they will talk on the phone or email and such. Ron was in a motorcycle accident a few weeks ago. Lost control in loose gravel and was thrown into a light pole. They put him in a medically induced coma for a week to give him time to heal. Both arms are broken (and J says they had to drain blood from one with a needle because of swelling) and he has pneumonia. They took him off the coma meds and said it may take him a while to come out because of his size (over 300 lb). It's been over a week and he's still not out. He has no insurance. They're not sure he's going to make and are talking about taking him off the machines next week.

Jonathan is devastated. We were making plans to go see him sometime and he was going to come to KC too. He has a 9 year old son. I am so sad. I liked him the first time I talked to him on the phone and the visit with him only solidified that.
    I'm so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    That's really interesting. I was young and had a hard time with math all through school. When I went to college I decided to start at the beginning and re-learn everything. I literally started in a class called "basic math." I started really understanding everything and actually liked math by the time I reached all my required classes.
    My first semester in community college I had to take one of those courses. I'm finding I like math better as well, so hopefully grasping it should come easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    I was 4 years 11 months when I started kindergarten. Which meant I was 17 when I moved away for college (350 miles away). I was extremely immature for my age and the youngest child in the family. I really, really wish I could have waited and started college at 18 but my parents made it clear that not going to college was not an option for me. If I'd started later I'm sure it would have been easier for me the first time around. Some kids would have been okay at that age but I wasn't. I should really read Outliers - I'll remember that.

In my case, though, I know it wasn't just being young for my grade because I went through psych/academic testing to qualify for special ed and performance is based on comparison to same age (year and month) peers, rather than grade level.

Lauren, CONGRATS! I'm so glad you got in.
    It's so hard for kids when parents push them to make that choice for college. Most times if they're pushed, they won't do as well because they feel so much immense pressure for something they weren't so gung-ho about in the first place.

And thank you for the congrats!
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Bridget and Krista, hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I confess that I took my mom shopping last night and she had such a great time. She told me over and over how nice it was and how we should do it more often. I cried all the way home. I just can't shake this guilt. My mom always wanted to do things with me and take me shopping and the like. I am just not the kind of person that enjoys shopping with other people. I never even went with my girlfriends. I like to get in and out. And I hate the mall. I just feel sad that I didn't suck it up and go with her more. And I feel bad she never got to plan my wedding or make my wedding dress like we always said. I never did much with her at all because I didn't want to. I was selfish. I know I need to shake the guilt and just focus on right now. But I haven't gotten there yet.
    Bridget. You're in my thoughts all the time.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Krista, I'm so sorry for you and your DH, and your friend.

21. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post

Ashley, your girls are ADORABLE!
    Thanks!

Am I just too sensitive lately?

I posted on FB that I got accepted to school, and was getting tons of congrats and all that, and then one person who I've known was just like "Congratulations."

That was it. No excitement, no nothing. Now, I'm not really a fan of her, but I get along with her for the sake of convenience, but seriously, could you just fake excitement with an exclamation point?

I guess I just feel if you're not really that enthused with someone's status, don't respond at all. It brought everything kind of down in my opinion, but I didn't say anything. What do ya'll think?

Ashley, I love, love, LOVE Charlie's face in your siggy. The look of shock just makes me giggle.

My stepmom never ever uses exclamation points in her e mails. I tend to overuse them, so it's like, glaring when someone doesn't use them at all. It bugs me...but I guess it's the thought that counts?

Lauren, I wouldn't read much into that - I never used exclamation points much before APA. I realized that I came off sounding abrupt or rude without meaning too. I don't think she would bother to say Congratulations unless she meant it.

Oh, and I forgot to say...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Way to go!
    Last edited by girlwonder; 04-07-2010 at 08:58 PM.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I confess I just started KICKBOX again!!!

I love kickboxing so much, and I haven't really done it since I was pregnant. I am doing a 5 week course and am feeling so great to get back into it again. And it is so much fun because it is an impact course, so we are actually sparring, punching and kicking other people (and I get punched and kicked back ). We are all wearing pads so it doesn't hurt too much.

I love punching and kicking people! It is really fun to be stronger than you look. I've got a quick jab and a mean roundhouse. Look out!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    My stepmom never ever uses exclamation points in her e mails. I tend to overuse them, so it's like, glaring when someone doesn't use them at all. It bugs me...but I guess it's the thought that counts?
    haha Yeah, I guess so. I dunno why it irked me. I guess maybe because I do the exclamations too. I try to show when I'm excited since with texting or online you can't see it much.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Lauren, I wouldn't read much into that - I never used exclamation points much before APA. I realized that I came off sounding abrupt or rude without meaning too. I don't think she would bother to say Congratulations unless she meant it.

Oh, and I forgot to say...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Way to go!
    Thank you!

And yeah, I'm sure she meant it sincerely.. I was just kind of like It must be just me, haha.

I confess I just started KICKBOX again!!!

I love kickboxing so much, and I haven't really done it since I was pregnant. I am doing a 5 week course and am feeling so great to get back into it again. And it is so much fun because it is an impact course, so we are actually sparring, punching and kicking other people (and I get punched and kicked back ). We are all wearing pads so it doesn't hurt too much.

I love punching and kicking people! It is really fun to be stronger than you look. I've got a quick jab and a mean roundhouse. Look out!
    That is so awesome! Sounds like a really fun workout! Definitely something to keep the adrenaline going. Good for you!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Lauren, congratulations.

No really! Congratulations!!!!

It does look a little funny without the exclamation, but I tend to get excited pretty easily. I wouldn't think anything of it.

Krista, Bridget, I'm thinking of you both.

Day four of poo-sifting, and still no dime here. Grr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Day four of poo-sifting, and still no dime here. Grr.
    maybe with interest it will turn into a quarter.

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of an exclamation mark either. I totally agree that it looks weird, but I bet it's just her writing style.

It sort of reminds me of a friend of mine. She's extremely polite and well-spoken IRL, but her writing style is so sloppy that I would probably think she was a bit rude/uneducated if I hadn't met her in person.