Page 300 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2002502902982993003013023103504008001300 ... LastLast
Results 8,971 to 9,000 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Not only will you need the course name but often the number. In my case for a few I had to actually provide course descriptions to get them covered. Overall I was able to transfer all credits BUT not always for subject matter. I had one that was basically english with reading and writing...it was required at one school. My new school refused to recognize it as such and I had to do comp anyway but at least they gave it to me as electives.

If they have your transcripts, than they should be able to tell you what they are taking as transfer and what category they will put it under.
    I was gonna request my transcripts to be sent there the day I fill out the application. This whole thing is so frustrating and confusing, lol.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    I'm sorry your DH might not be around when you give birth Is he going to Europe for work?
    Lydia, glad to know I'm not the only one who transferred 3 times as an undergrad! And even better the last time I moved it was because I wanted to be closer to my boyfriend (we were about an hour apart)...at least he eventually turned into my DH.

OMG, I can't believe that he might be doing that to you. Maybe he will change his mind and be around. I would kill mine if he ever did that to me if I ever would end up pg...course he probably won't be in the delivery anyway since he passes out for blood and blood tests and can't even watch fake stuff like Grey's on TV.
    Not only did I transfer three times, but I also changed my major each time! No wonder it took me 5 years to get my bachelor's degree.

My dh's traveling is work-related. And he asked me if it was okay, and it is not set in stone. I told him he risked not being here for the birth, but that I support his career and everything it takes to advance it. I'm very grateful that his work lets me be at home part-time with the children, and I know that being there or not when the baby is born is just one day out of all of the others he'll have with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    My dh's traveling is work-related. And he asked me if it was okay, and it is not set in stone. I told him he risked not being here for the birth, but that I support his career and everything it takes to advance it. I'm very grateful that his work lets me be at home part-time with the children, and I know that being there or not when the baby is born is just one day out of all of the others he'll have with him.
    That's a really good way of looking at it I really do hope that he is able to be around for it, though.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Lydia, is it truly necessary that he travel then?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

It's not necessary, and I don't even know if it will happen for sure, but it would be beneficial for his career.

ETA: I think I'm going to have to train Claire to put my socks and shoes on for me, since it's already getting pretty difficult and I can't count on dh to help.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 03-15-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Wow, I missed a lot this weekend.

Lydia, you have a great attitude but I hope for both your sakes that your DH is home for the birth.

Lauren, about the transfer classes I jumped around too. Started at a University, then took time off, then took community college classes, then transferred back to another university. The CC didn't offer any of the classes I needed for my major but I took most of my gen eds there. When I transferred in I only needed the 30 credit hours of my major classes and 18 hours for my minor plus one gen ed science class. I got through in 2 years after transferring although I did take some classes out of sequence. It could have been 1 1/2 years but my major required me to pick one of 3 possible minors so I couldn't use my classes from my previous major towards a new minor. It was a lot cheaper to take the classes at community college and be done with it, so if you do end up needing another semester there it should be okay.

Oh, and I needed to argue my case for transferring some courses, too. I had tested out of English 101 at my first school and then my last school wanted to make me take it. I had to submit a portfolio of my writing for them to review but in the end they didn't make me go back and take it after all.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

It's not necessary, and I don't even know if it will happen for sure, but it would be beneficial for his career.
    Okay, you KNOW I don't say this to get in your face, but you also know that I'm thoroughly candid and would be if I were sitting across the table from you. There are lots of things that are beneficial to a person's career that simply aren't worth it, and it's rather likely he can make up for whatever would make this beneficial in some other way. I know it's cliche, but when we're all about to die, it's unlikely that any one of us will say "I wish I'd done that, it would have been beneficial to my career." On the flip side, "I wish I'd been there for my child's birth" might be one of those regrets.

And, again, I'm here to be the one to say the things that no one else has the balls to (why my friends love me, and why I have only a few good friends ) but the big what if is, what if something unexpected happened and he weren't there? How would he, or you, feel then?

All love, you know that...

And yes, make mommy's shoes and socks a grand game!

Not only did I transfer three times, but I also changed my major each time! No wonder it took me 5 years to get my bachelor's degree.

Um yeah I think that I had 6 or 7 majors. LOL And one I'm only 3 or 4 classes short of a degree...behavioral science. At that point I switched to philosophy. My dad for the longest time thought it was psychology. LOL

My poor parents were just like pick something and be done with it. I had to pay the max federal loans and than they kicked in whatever that and scholarships didn't cover.

I'm surprised it only took 5 years.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

shutterbird Guest

Lydia. I really hope he can be there for the birth. A babe is only born once...

A lot of 'kids' take classes at one college while trying to get accepted an another. I work at Cornell and see many students not make the cut semester after semester. They take classes at other colleges and keep trying. They have it all figured out-which classes they can take that will transfer. I've ever heard of them taking biology and chemistry at another college because it's easier there, and transferring those classes to Cornell, even if they were accepted at Cornell on their first try.

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I want to be a kid in your daycare....
    Me too Bridget!!!

I just found out dh might go to Europe for a week in late April, within 1-3 weeks of my due date. That's in addition to the week he'll be gone 10 days after my C-Section. I am dealing with the thought that I might be alone for the birth and my hospital stay, if I go early. And I guess I'm okay with it, but I'll be lonely. I'm glad my phone has internet capability.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Okay, you KNOW I don't say this to get in your face, but you also know that I'm thoroughly candid and would be if I were sitting across the table from you. There are lots of things that are beneficial to a person's career that simply aren't worth it, and it's rather likely he can make up for whatever would make this beneficial in some other way. I know it's cliche, but when we're all about to die, it's unlikely that any one of us will say "I wish I'd done that, it would have been beneficial to my career." On the flip side, "I wish I'd been there for my child's birth" might be one of those regrets.

And, again, I'm here to be the one to say the things that no one else has the balls to (why my friends love me, and why I have only a few good friends ) but the big what if is, what if something unexpected happened and he weren't there? How would he, or you, feel then?

I agree with Stacy. She has balls. Oh-and the other stuff is true too. I had an opportunity to work at a clinic in the mall, taking blood pressure for the older folks while I was going to college. Without fail, they all told me they wished they had more time with their children and worked less....ESPECIALLY the men. Many would have tears in their eyes as they talked about it. They all felt that the years they had children at home were the best years in their life.

I really feel lucky I had that chance to work there and hear that theme over and over again-and from men who didn't necessarily know each other. They came from different backgrounds and varying religious beliefs...but the desire to be home with their children more was unanimous.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post

I agree with Stacy. She has balls. Oh-and the other stuff is true too. I had an opportunity to work at a clinic in the mall, taking blood pressure for the older folks while I was going to college. Without fail, they all told me they wished they had more time with their children and worked less....ESPECIALLY the men. Many would have tears in their eyes as they talked about it. They all felt that the years they had children at home were the best years in their life.

I really feel lucky I had that chance to work there and hear that theme over and over again-and from men who didn't necessarily know each other. They came from different backgrounds and varying religious beliefs...but the desire to be home with their children more was unanimous.

While that is all probably true...life is full of sacrifice. I would myself love to be home more and see family more often (they all are about 5 hour drive away). But reality is that we need to work so we can have things like health insurance, a home, food...

I remember my dad couldn't always make it to my orchestra concerts...mom always went but dad at times worked 2nd shift and couldn't always take off work. We just ended up doing stuff together at other times when he could. I'm glad that I had food and a house and health insurance as a kid.

And yeah a baby is only born once...I would say that it's more important to be there later for things the child can remember.
    I most likely will end up adopting at some point and right now thinking of doing it from foster care. I won't be there when my child is born...but that won't affect love.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

No, nobody said it would. But if given the opportunity to see your child be born, wouldn't you? Many adoptive parents do get that chance, and they take it.

Stacy, I would never let your balls get in between us. I mean that both literally and figuratively. Or maybe just figuratively.

I had considered something bad happening, and that was definitely the worst-case scenario. If it was a baby catastrophe, I would have a really hard time with him not being there and so would he. And if something happened to me, well, I can't really picture him recovering from that anyway, let alone dealing with the guilt of not being there. I try not to live my life thinking about the worst things that could happen, but you and I both know they can. And I would have talked about both of those possibilities with him before he made the commitment to go.

On the bright side, he came home tonight and told me the Europe trip has been rescheduled for July and he just has to go to the East Coast for a week instead, an entire month before I'm due. I think that's much better. I guess I jumped the gun on posting, but it was on my mind.

And yes, I know people regret spending time with their children and not their jobs, but on the other hand, his job makes it possible for him to be home every night for dinner and playing with the kids and on weekends and an occasional telecommute day when we can go out to lunch and a park together as a family. He also really likes to travel and we don't do enough of it any more, so it was actually a perk of the job.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 03-15-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Lydia, I'm glad he's not going. I envy the relationship you two have. It sounds entirely built on mutual respect. Such the opposite of what's going on in my house.
    My mom was able to go home today! I went over there with the kids after daycare. There are still so many unknowns, and just as many painkillers...but tonight was a good night. We were all laughing and telling and stories, going through some old albums. Of course Savana and Kai kept us entertained.
    It really does well to just be in the moment sometimes, and not think about the fact that we are slowly losing her.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Lydia, I'm glad he's not going. I envy the relationship you two have. It sounds entirely built on mutual respect. Such the opposite of what's going on in my house.
    My mom was able to go home today! I went over there with the kids after daycare. There are still so many unknowns, and just as many painkillers...but tonight was a good night. We were all laughing and telling and stories, going through some old albums. Of course Savana and Kai kept us entertained.
    It really does well to just be in the moment sometimes, and not think about the fact that we are slowly losing her.
    Bridget. I'm glad you got to spend a good day with her today!

shutterbird Guest

I confess holy headache hell! My period must be around the corner.

I confess...

there are 9000 posts in this thread!

I just got back from my job interview. It went well and they seemed to really like me, but I had to speak some English and I know that will count against me. The job requires a lot of communication with parents, and I'm not sure I'm even capable of doing that in Icelandic.

They also said they had over 60 applicants for the job. Unemployment really is high at the moment!

Sarah, you mean you don't speak English fluently? It's flawless when you type.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Yay for having a good visit with your Mom!!

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I just got back from my job interview. It went well and they seemed to really like me, but I had to speak some English and I know that will count against me. The job requires a lot of communication with parents, and I'm not sure I'm even capable of doing that in Icelandic.

They also said they had over 60 applicants for the job. Unemployment really is high at the moment!
    Good luck!! Do you know when you'll hear if you got it or not?

Sarah! I hope you get the job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Sarah, you mean you don't speak English fluently? It's flawless when you type.
    Haha, yes, English is my first language. It's Icelandic that's the problem. I understand it 100% and speak it ok, but I'm not as fluent as I need to be. I'm really rusty after not working for 2 years.

Good luck!! Do you know when you'll hear if you got it or not?
    They said they'd try to let me know by the end of this week.

1) Bridget, that is so excellent. I'm glad you had good time with your mom.

2) PHEW, Lydia, I'm glad it works out that there's no conflict. It does suck to make decisions like that, particularly when there are so many variables.

3) I have to comment to Cosmosmom (below), and again, I'm going to get some and some "aren't you an entitled idealist" looks (I can't find an emoticon for that one!) but life is only full of sacrifices because we create them. If you would love to be home to see your family more often, do it. There is nothing between you and creating the life you want except yourself and your preconceived notions of what your life is supposed to be, as prescribed by society. I know this acutely, because I went from working 80oddass hours a week for 18 years to "grow" my career (which I did quite well) and feeling like I could never get out of the workaholic bind I was in (because I wouldn't be able to afford food, health insurance, you name it) to jumping ship to create my own consulting company, all because Jasper's death said to me "you are going about this all backwards and you're going to regret this life when you're done with it unless you change things NOW." It's been wicked hard in a lot of ways. I've lost a lot of money, I've made a lot of money, I've had to learn to be okay with uncertainty and all flavors of ups and downs, but in the end - every single second has been worth it because both my husband and I have been able to be together, and with Oscar. And now with this new person.

Here's a nice little kick in the pants that I stumbled across the other day (I TED.com) - the guy's a little obnoxious (probably why I like him) and granted, he's saying some things I don't believe in, like work your ass off and spend only a little time with your family, but his general point applies across the board. http://www.ted.com/talks/gary_vayner...o_excuses.html

While that is all probably true...life is full of sacrifice. I would myself love to be home more and see family more often (they all are about 5 hour drive away). But reality is that we need to work so we can have things like health insurance, a home, food...

I remember my dad couldn't always make it to my orchestra concerts...mom always went but dad at times worked 2nd shift and couldn't always take off work. We just ended up doing stuff together at other times when he could. I'm glad that I had food and a house and health insurance as a kid.

And yeah a baby is only born once...I would say that it's more important to be there later for things the child can remember.
    I most likely will end up adopting at some point and right now thinking of doing it from foster care. I won't be there when my child is born...but that won't affect love.

And good luck Sarah!

Here's a nice little kick in the pants that I stumbled across the other day (I TED.com) - the guy's a little obnoxious (probably why I like him) and granted, he's saying some things I don't believe in, like work your ass off and spend only a little time with your family, but his general point applies across the board. http://www.ted.com/talks/gary_vayner...o_excuses.html
    Hey, that's crazy! I was literally just finished watching that and about to post it as a reply to what you were writing, until I realised you'd beaten me to it.

No, nobody said it would. But if given the opportunity to see your child be born, wouldn't you? Many adoptive parents do get that chance, and they take it.
    Not sure if it is a big deal to me (we were looking at international adoption so baby probably would have been closer to a year anyway). If I do ever get pg...I'm not sure that even I want to be there when the baby is born! And I really don't want DH there. He would just pass out on me and get all the attention. I would rather have his mom or my mom or my sister. DH might be ok during labor but he would probably pass out there too. He doesn't do well with medical stuff or with me in pain.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Not sure if it is a big deal to me (we were looking at international adoption so baby probably would have been closer to a year anyway). If I do ever get pg...I'm not sure that even I want to be there when the baby is born! And I really don't want DH there. He would just pass out on me and get all the attention. I would rather have his mom or my mom or my sister. DH might be ok during labor but he would probably pass out there too. He doesn't do well with medical stuff or with me in pain.
    If you have the opportunity to give birth, I highly suggest you reconsider this, and that you work on your husband to engage his fears. Birth is one of the most extraordinary things in life - even under difficult circumstances (I know this one from experience, too).

I confess that I just wanted to share this picture because I ran across it on Photobucket and I love it so much.

It's our first sunset in Maui on our honeymoon.

Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;