Page 299 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1992492892972982993003013093493997991299 ... LastLast
Results 8,941 to 8,970 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    Tell me it's gonna be okay.
    It's going to be okay. I sucked it up in high school (think like 1.7 GPA), dropped out, got my GED, and still got accepted to a reasonable school with my community college credits. Worse comes to worse you have to take one more class at community, right?

Is there any reason why you can't just take a few more classes at the community college? Try to find something that comes really easy to you to up your GPA?

3. Default

Tell me it's gonna be okay.
    I had a 2.667 GPA from high school, and a transfer GPA of 0.68 (yeah.. I screwed around alot my first year or so of college) and still got accepted... although I was accepted on Academic probation...

I confess that I feel like a total failure when the daycare kids don't eat my food.
    It's silly but it can make or break my whole day. So friday I made black bean soup and it bombed. None of them ate more than a few bites. I was like, "Oh hells no!" and I made them banana french toast for snack. No one gets out of here hungry.

Thanks ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    Is there any reason why you can't just take a few more classes at the community college? Try to find something that comes really easy to you to up your GPA?
    It's not really that I can't, per se, but for one, this is the first year where I don't have to depend on my mom's taxes, so I'm not sure at all how much money I'm going to get. I'm eligible for grants and things, but that was all preliminary.. not sure yet. I could if I have to, but being I want to go into medical school and I'm already 24, that's gonna suck out more years of my life, lol. I'll already be 32 as an intern when most are 26. As it is, when I went to community college I was 22, so I had to wait two years as it was because I couldn't afford it.

If all that makes any sense, I applaud whoever understands it, hehe.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

I don't really get the tax part lol but if you take a full semester at the community college, it won't be any different than taking them at the university, right? You'll still be getting the classes done.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I confess that I feel like a total failure when the daycare kids don't eat my food.
    It's silly but it can make or break my whole day. So friday I made black bean soup and it bombed. None of them ate more than a few bites. I was like, "Oh hells no!" and I made them banana french toast for snack. No one gets out of here hungry.
    I feel the same way when Josh doesn't like my cooking. And I still remember hurting my mom's feelings when I told her I liked Kraft mac and cheese better than her home made

I don't really get the tax part lol but if you take a full semester at the community college, it won't be any different than taking them at the university, right? You'll still be getting the classes done.
    Yeah, this is true. I did most of the general education courses at the community college in NH, so I'm hoping that if I still have to make a few of them up, it won't be many of them at least.

As far as the taxes go, to determine financial aid, if you're under the age of 24 (or aren't married, have children, etc, anything that makes you independent in the government's eyes), they look at your parent's taxes to determine eligibility. My mom made just enough that when I went to CC, I only got 3,500 in a loan for the whole year, and that definitely wasn't enough to cover expenses. So I couldn't afford school, and had to wait until I turned of age, so they could see I make diddly squat and give me funding so I could afford school.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Ah.

Wouldn't classes be cheaper at the community college also?

10. Default

I want to be a kid in your daycare....

Ah.

Wouldn't classes be cheaper at the community college also?
    Usually they are. I'm just not sure what other courses I could take that would transfer, since I've already done the "Into to" courses. I'd probably have to call the school if/when they reject me. Here's hoping they won't! My boyfriend says I'm just picking something to stress out about

Is it just a two year college? That might be hard.

I would love to be in your daycare!

It must be hard since the kids you have probably don't eat at home what you normally give; at least that's my assumption. But it's great that not only do you give them healthy food, you give them diversity as well!

Is it just a two year college? That might be hard.
    The university I'm trying to get into is a four year college. Even though I did a year already, I'm assuming I'd still need to stay a full four years to finish up my B.A, unless you can finish that sooner. I'm new to all this, haha.

I'm wondering since the pre-med courses are not really common to one college - you can take them anywhere - if I had to make up courses at a CC if I could take some of them there and soften the blow when I go to Uni.

I would love to be in your daycare!

It must be hard since the kids you have probably don't eat at home what you normally give; at least that's my assumption. But it's great that not only do you give them healthy food, you give them diversity as well!
    I actually try to keep it close to what they are used to eating. I just make it from scratch and it's really healthy. There is only one little girl (4yrs) who is used to fruity pebbles and the like for lunch. She turned up her nose a lot when she first started. I always told her that she didn't have to eat but she had to sit at the table with us because we like to have her with us. I think she started to eat out of sheer boredom. But now she does okay. And she only comes 3 days a week so I always take care to make things I know she'll eat on the days she's here.
    A child I used to care for came back to visit and her mom said that at her new school they are rushed through their meals because the day is so packed that they have to stick to a schedule. She said her daughter is always starving when she picks her up. She was like, "The way she talked about food when she was with you, you'd think that's all you guys did all day."
    I guess I do put a lot of focus on food but I think it's just as important for kids to learn where food comes from and what it does for their bodies as it is to learn ABC's.

I guess I do put a lot of focus on food but I think it's just as important for kids to learn where food comes from and what it does for their bodies as it is to learn ABC's.
    That's really awesome. I think it teaches them how to be more open to other types of food and how good it is to eat lots of fruits and veggies and be healthy.

I'm trying to learn how to eat better since I wasn't really taught to eat well as a child. I love fruits, not so happy with veggies, but I'm trying to cook them in different ways to make them taste better. Just recently, I made grilled fruit for Clinton and I.. it was sooo delicious!

A child I used to care for came back to visit and her mom said that at her new school they are rushed through their meals because the day is so packed that they have to stick to a schedule. She said her daughter is always starving when she picks her up.
    Er, any school that's so rushed through meals because their day is "so packed" is skewed in terms of their priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Er, any school that's so rushed through meals because their day is "so packed" is skewed in terms of their priorities.
    Totally. She goes to a preschool that has a bus take her to a 4k program and then back to the preschool. Travel time gets in the way of eating time I imagine.

Usually they are. I'm just not sure what other courses I could take that would transfer, since I've already done the "Into to" courses. I'd probably have to call the school if/when they reject me. Here's hoping they won't! My boyfriend says I'm just picking something to stress out about

Is UTA one of the really big schools in the state? Just wondering how picky they are. In my state really only 2 of the big state schools are picky...the rest will take most anyone.

Also, if you are applying for financial aid, you MUST be enrolled in a degree program, not just taking a few classes. And do NOT get any private student loans...only get federal (subsidized is best but unsubsidized is ok too).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

The university I'm trying to get into is a four year college. Even though I did a year already, I'm assuming I'd still need to stay a full four years to finish up my B.A, unless you can finish that sooner. I'm new to all this, haha.

I'm wondering since the pre-med courses are not really common to one college - you can take them anywhere - if I had to make up courses at a CC if I could take some of them there and soften the blow when I go to Uni.
    Doesn't matter if it's a four year program...depends on how many classes you take each semester and if you go summers or if they have a mid winter term. Took me 5 years to get my 4 yr degree. and took me 4 year to get my two year masters (went part-time).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Doesn't matter if it's a four year program...depends on how many classes you take each semester and if you go summers or if they have a mid winter term. Took me 5 years to get my 4 yr degree. and took me 4 year to get my two year masters (went part-time).
    Thanks for that info! I really had no clue how long it could take someone to obtain their degree. I could see myself taking summer courses, but obviously money is my big thing. It would depend on what loans/grants I get.

Is UTA one of the really big schools in the state? Just wondering how picky they are. In my state really only 2 of the big state schools are picky...the rest will take most anyone.

Also, if you are applying for financial aid, you MUST be enrolled in a degree program, not just taking a few classes. And do NOT get any private student loans...only get federal (subsidized is best but unsubsidized is ok too).
    I'm not really sure about the school. I know it's not the only one, and I think there are some private schools around.. I think it's more of a state-like school.. if that makes sense.

I'm going for my B.A. in English, plus the pre-med courses.. I wanted to major in Russian, but I didn't meet the requirements I guess I'll take it as an elective.

Thanks for that info! I really had no clue how long it could take someone to obtain their degree. I could see myself taking summer courses, but obviously money is my big thing. It would depend on what loans/grants I get.
    Generally you will get a loan for the cost of full-tuition. anything from 12-18 credits is full-time usually. I only did 12-14 most semesters and changed majors more than once so it did take a bit longer.

Summer classes would be extra. The longer and further you get in school, the more money you can get.

Money is always the problem.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I spent quite a few years in school and basically planned out things for my younger sister and helped DH when we were dating. I wanted to be an admissions person/academic advisor. I used to LOVE getting the schedules each semester and plotting out my courses. I wish that I could have made a career of being a student!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Generally you will get a loan for the cost of full-tuition. anything from 12-18 credits is full-time usually. I only did 12-14 most semesters and changed majors more than once so it did take a bit longer.

Summer classes would be extra. The longer and further you get in school, the more money you can get.

Money is always the problem.
    Money will always be the problem, sadly. The silver lining though, is now with me being an independent student, I have more options.

As far as academics go, I'm definitely going to do any essays on the application, which are optional for transfer students. Essays are my bread and butter, so I'm thinking that's gonna give my application some extra "oomph", and then add that to my GPA from CC, and that might help me get in.

I spent quite a few years in school and basically planned out things for my younger sister and helped DH when we were dating. I wanted to be an admissions person/academic advisor. I used to LOVE getting the schedules each semester and plotting out my courses. I wish that I could have made a career of being a student!
    You sound just like my best friend! She just loves going to school and making all of her classes and schedules. I'm starting to become the same way; I get really organized. She rubbed off on me!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Sarah, good luck with your interview!

Lauren, I transferred schools three times, and although I wish I could have done more classes at a community college level for the expense, not all of my classes were credited at University. I would definitely talk to your end-destination school and see what would be allowed vs not. I had to submit documentation and argue my case for a few classes.

I just found out dh might go to Europe for a week in late April, within 1-3 weeks of my due date. That's in addition to the week he'll be gone 10 days after my C-Section. I am dealing with the thought that I might be alone for the birth and my hospital stay, if I go early. And I guess I'm okay with it, but I'll be lonely. I'm glad my phone has internet capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Sarah, good luck with your interview!

Lauren, I transferred schools three times, and although I wish I could have done more classes at a community college level for the expense, not all of my classes were credited at University. I would definitely talk to your end-destination school and see what would be allowed vs not. I had to submit documentation and argue my case for a few classes.

I just found out dh might go to Europe for a week in late April, within 1-3 weeks of my due date. That's in addition to the week he'll be gone 10 days after my C-Section. I am dealing with the thought that I might be alone for the birth and my hospital stay, if I go early. And I guess I'm okay with it, but I'll be lonely. I'm glad my phone has internet capability.
    Thanks for the information, Lydia I remember the classes I took, but I don't remember the course names exactly.. do you think that will matter when I call?

I'm sorry your DH might not be around when you give birth Is he going to Europe for work?

Lydia, glad to know I'm not the only one who transferred 3 times as an undergrad! And even better the last time I moved it was because I wanted to be closer to my boyfriend (we were about an hour apart)...at least he eventually turned into my DH.

OMG, I can't believe that he might be doing that to you. Maybe he will change his mind and be around. I would kill mine if he ever did that to me if I ever would end up pg...course he probably won't be in the delivery anyway since he passes out for blood and blood tests and can't even watch fake stuff like Grey's on TV.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks for the information, Lydia I remember the classes I took, but I don't remember the course names exactly.. do you think that will matter when I call?

I'm sorry your DH might not be around when you give birth Is he going to Europe for work?
    Not only will you need the course name but often the number. In my case for a few I had to actually provide course descriptions to get them covered. Overall I was able to transfer all credits BUT not always for subject matter. I had one that was basically english with reading and writing...it was required at one school. My new school refused to recognize it as such and I had to do comp anyway but at least they gave it to me as electives.

If they have your transcripts, than they should be able to tell you what they are taking as transfer and what category they will put it under.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36