Page 288 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1882382782862872882892902983383887881288 ... LastLast
Results 8,611 to 8,640 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Doesn't that betray some kind of student/teacher trust? I know I'd be so pissed if I asked a teacher not to share something and she did anyway.
    I don't really understand having to praise a god for beauty, or talent (thinking about musical artists, etc. who thank God in their acceptance speeches) Why can't we let ourselves, or natural occurance take credit for anything?

I confess we are moving to Louisiana in a month to work at the family business and eventually take over.

Wow! What is the family business?

A bakery.

So I went back a few pages....

Janeen, that shirt is sweet!

Stash, word on selfish parents. Makes me so sad for their babies.

Jenny, it was totally inappropriate for that teacher to show you!

Bridget, kids get sick babe. You are a super awesome child care provider, don't beat yourself up.

Thanks, Steph. I'm so excited for you your new venture! I can't wait to come to your bakery someday.
    I just sent Kai to the dr with dbf. I never know when to send my kids to the dr but he was coughing so hard in his sleep that he was gagging. It was scaring me and making me really sad for him. I think his cough sounds like croup.

I would love for you to come visit!

I'm still salty that we never met up in Hawaii. You friggin' lived a few blocks away from where I worked, I got drunk in your bars! Lame.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Doesn't that betray some kind of student/teacher trust? I know I'd be so pissed if I asked a teacher not to share something and she did anyway.
    I don't really understand having to praise a god for beauty, or talent (thinking about musical artists, etc. who thank God in their acceptance speeches) Why can't we let ourselves, or natural occurance take credit for anything?
    I think talent most of all should be credited to the talented. It takes practice to hone in on that talent, and that person is the one who took the time, and interest, and dedication to do that...

That's exciting, Steph!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Oh urp, I hope you haven't had a fast food cheeseburger lately.
    I can't remember the last time I had a fast food cheeseburger....

Though I started craving a glass of milk, and was really sad I couldn't go to my MIL's and have some raw milk. I can't wait to move back to MO and have the hook up with her homeschool co-op

That sounds awesome Steph!! Can I come work at your bakery too? You could pay me in cakes.

Yes! Madelyn and Mia can play while we bake.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Ooh, I want to be paid in cakes. That sounds wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    Yes! Madelyn and Mia can play while we bake.

14. Default

omg.. I just laughed so hard I almost pee'd....

I was on FB and saw that B's fling from right after he asked for a divorce joined a group that was called "Every time I see you, a voice in my head goes 'SSSSLLLUUUTTTTTTTT' "

HMM... Couldn't have said it better myself....

I want to paid in muffins.
    I'm totall confused now. Dbf came home with antibiotics and said that Kai has a "raging ear infection in both ears and that is why he's in so much pain." He doesn't appear to be in any pain to me at all. In fact, if it wasn't for the barking cough I'd think he was fine. He's totally happy, snot nose and all. I asked dbf what they said about the cough and he said that he didn't cough while they were there. Odd. He's been coughing non stop all day.
    Oh also Tylenol four times a day by doctors orders. Mmmmmkay.
    I hate being such a skeptic but I just am when it comes to this stuff. Everytime I take my kids to the dr I feel like they barely glance at them and then slap a diagnosis and prescription on us.

I never trust doctors either and I hate that because I grew up having to trust in doctors very much and it scares me to realize now that they aren't always right.

Ugh. I am almost positive he does not have an ear infection. I keep asking him if his ears hurt and he keeps saying no. And he is able to communicate stuff like that. I don't want to give him the antibiotics.

Bridget - I don't know how it is in the States, but here they often don't give kids antibiotics for ear infections, unless they're severe. They prefer to wait and see if they resolve by themselves. I would probably hold off on the meds and get a second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Jenny, the other thing I'd be thinking about is what the teacher's agenda was in showing it to you. I might be concerned that she is trying to say "Look what a good teacher and role model you are, and you would be so much better if only...."
    That's what I was thinking too. Sorry you had to deal with that. I definitely understand why you feel bad - you were set up to feel that way .

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I saw the student after school and I really tried to act like my normal self; friendly, etc...but deep down it was really bothering me. I spoke to my dh tonight at dinner about it and he gave me some good advice.

Lydia, I can't help but wonder if you may be right about the teacher having her own motive....

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I saw the student after school and I really tried to act like my normal self; friendly, etc...but deep down it was really bothering me. I spoke to my dh tonight at dinner about it and he gave me some good advice.

Lydia, I can't help but wonder if you may be right about the teacher having her own motive....
    I was thinking she had her own motives, too, whatever they might be.

I think I have been at work too long. I just found myself attempting to teach Nero the ASL signs for "I want a chewie." So he could ask for one when he wanted!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Ugh. I am almost positive he does not have an ear infection. I keep asking him if his ears hurt and he keeps saying no. And he is able to communicate stuff like that. I don't want to give him the antibiotics.
    I lot of bad coughs will need antibiotics too.

Though you said he has a snot nose...that alone will almost always trigger coughs in me as it runs down the back of the throat.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    I was thinking she had her own motives, too, whatever they might be.

I think I have been at work too long. I just found myself attempting to teach Nero the ASL signs for "I want a chewie." So he could ask for one when he wanted!
    Ha that would be awesome! Mine knows how to ask for one though...she gives that certain look in her eyes...or she goes to the treat cabinet and hits it with her nose. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Ha that would be awesome! Mine knows how to ask for one though...she gives that certain look in her eyes...or she goes to the treat cabinet and hits it with her nose. LOL
    Oh, he knows how to ask! I just wanted to see if I could step it up a little! I'm tired and stressed out, I guess!

Oh, he knows how to ask! I just wanted to see if I could step it up a little! I'm tired and stressed out, I guess!
    Reminds of the one commercial for I think begging strips where the dog says I would get it myself but I don't have thumbs. LOL

I totally think that Cosmo is smart enough to learn something like ASL...she just has this tiny issue of not having hands. She has to settle for what she has going for her...tail, ears and that face....we tell her all the time what an expressive little dog she is. She can look SOOO pathetic and sad when begging for food....and at other times we call her Chuckles because she is smiling and laughing so hard.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

There was some article I read I think in National Geographic that talked about intelligence in animals, and there is some dog (I think a border collie) that could recognize 400+ words from photos and learned new words all the time. We'll just have to start teaching our dogs to use picture symbols. They can just put their paws on them. But seriously, at one point we could tell Nero "get your rope" or "get your ball" or "get your elephant" and he would come back with the correct toy. He isn't always as good at that now because we've let it slide but he knows "get your" means to bring a toy and he still gets a toy and brings it back. Sometimes he will go searching for the right toy when we ask him.

There was some article I read I think in National Geographic that talked about intelligence in animals, and there is some dog (I think a border collie) that could recognize 400+ words from photos and learned new words all the time. We'll just have to start teaching our dogs to use picture symbols. They can just put their paws on them. But seriously, at one point we could tell Nero "get your rope" or "get your ball" or "get your elephant" and he would come back with the correct toy. He isn't always as good at that now because we've let it slide but he knows "get your" means to bring a toy and he still gets a toy and brings it back. Sometimes he will go searching for the right toy when we ask him.
    Oh yeah I totally read that article and sent it to my BFF who thinks I'm a but nutso about my Cosmo. I'm biased but I'm sure she is very smart...I think that she got the poodle brains.
    She definitely knows a lot of words...most relate to food. LOL
    She was never one to get toys by name but we weren't great about that...generally will know toy from bone.
    It was so funny the other day I had her outside with me and had the door open...DH got cold and shut it just as I told her to go in the house. She kind of stood there and looked and then at me so I said, what the heck Cosmo, Daddy just shut the door on you. So she looks at the door and starts barking like crazy like she is yelling at him.

Definitely knows people by names...if my sister is up and I say go by auntie rocky, she will go to her.

If I ask her if she needs to go potty or use the bathroom and she looks at the door and I say no, I don't want to, go in your box...she runs to her litter box....and than waits until I say I'm watching (she needs to make sure to get credit and get her treat! LOL).

She will look at pictures but I never tried to do much with that. she is sometimes into TV.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I picked dh up at 2, we got home at 3, he watched the kids while I emptied the litter box and started washing his clothes, and then he went to bed shortly after 4. I did get a couple of kisses, and it was absolutely delightful watching the three of them joyfully wrestle together, and when Claire saw him and said "I'm so happy to see you again, Daddy!" my heart melted a little bit. He's going to be jetlagged for a good long time and he only got two hours of sleep out of the last 40, so I imagine we'll just pass in the night for a while.

I wish I had a dog story to contribute. I feel like that was a total non-sequitor.

I had a little shih tzu when I was a teenager and one day when he was older I had to take him to the vet. So I put him in the passenger seat of my car and when I had walked around to the driver's side he was sitting in my seat. I remember just looking at him and saying "You can't sit there. I have to drive." And without my doing anything else he moved back to his own seat!

Lydia, so glad to hear your DH is home! That's so sweet about Claire.