Page 287 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1872372772852862872882892973373877871287 ... LastLast
Results 8,581 to 8,610 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post

We already have a "no talking with the binky in your mouth" rule, and when he tries I tell him I can't understand him because of the bink. Smart kid - he understands. He takes it out and repeats what he's saying (NOT that that guarantees I know what's coming out of his mouth, though!). I figure around 2 years it will be for naps and bedtime only, and we'll play it by ear from there. I'm not worried about binky wearing at this point.

ITA! I can't stand watching other people fiddle with their eyes. And let's not even go with the contacts in and out thing. <shudder> I will be 40 in June and have never had a real eye exam (other than the eye chart type thing). It literally takes a crew of people to put drops in my eyes. Good thing I have had really good vision so far.
    We had the no talking with the binky in your mouth rule too... Audri was very stubborn about it, and I had to physically take it from her mouth for about a week for her to get it...
    I had planned to have it gone for good by 2, but we have been binky free since before Christmas... My dad took it from her one night in the hotel in KC, and she didn't ask for it, so we didn't give it to her... I'm hoping Charlie will be as easy.

I used to freak people out by flipping my eyelid inside out... Eyes really don't bother me, and I used to make myself read the letters wrong in hopes I would get glasses... The eye doctor always knew though, cause it wasn't consistent.. lol.

I confess I feel like a post ho this morning.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    Oh and I guess while I'm at it, I had better finally throw on my bumper sticker that says "I found Jesus! He's drunk in my backseat!"
    OMG... I almost pee'd myself laughing!!

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    OMG... I almost pee'd myself laughing!!
    lol someone who works in the same building as me, I have no idea who it is but, they have tons of Pagan type bumper stickers on their car along with one that says "I found Jesus! He was under the couch the WHOLE time!"
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

I listen to Pandora. One time I put it on when my parents were coming over to exchange Christmas presents. I love Christmas music--the choirs and the orchestras especially, but I couldn't find my CD's. So I typed in the name of a Christmas song into Pandora (I think I chose Jingle Bells, LOL) and let it go. It came up with a pretty good mix, from cheesy to classical.
    I don't find a lot of new music I like on it, but because I like a lot of 80's and 90's music I hear a lot of good songs that take me back.

5. Default

hehehehe... I think my mom would cry in horror if she ever saw something like that.. while I on the other hand would cry from the hilarity

My mom would laugh because she knows me too well lol. My sister would have a comment or two I'm sure but again...like my mom, she would totally expect it from me lol

7. Default

Ok.. I just saw this thing on FB that tells you the #1 song on the day you were born.. so out of curiosity I did it.. Mine was Spitting Image - The chicken song.

I'd never heard of it, so I googled it.. Very odd

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Butros Butros, Lydia?
    That one, as well as Horatio, is just a joke. Ever since I first got pregnant years ago, my sister has been suggesting Butros Butros. Our last name starts with B. But now it has grown so that anyone in our circle gets the Butros Butros suggestion. It does have a ring to it...

I confess I posted on another (non-pregnancy) forum to someone who asked if she should be scared about ttc at age 33, because she'd be so old. I told about my experiences and gave a little advice, and I got a reply that I was very selfish for having a child at 40, since no doubt my children would miss out on all the fun in their early 20s because they'd be taking care of me when I'm all disabled and bedridden at 60. I remember when 40 seemed very old to me, but I know so many 60- and even 80-year-olds who are active and traveling the world and thriving. My parents and grandparents, for example.

Anyway, I shrugged off the post but decided that having children is a selfish thing to do in general, no matter the age. I am having children because I want them, I want to interact with them and watch them grow up and enjoy their company and play with them. That's all about me. I love that they're developing into their own little people, but that gives ME enjoyment. I also, very selfishly, want my genes to live on.

There are a lot of things about having children that require selflessness as well, but I think the desire to have them is selfish. What do you think?

Isn't it stephmama who is the big time Saints fan?

I just saw this...

http://6dollarshirts.com/product.php?productid=11366

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    That one, as well as Horatio, is just a joke. Ever since I first got pregnant years ago, my sister has been suggesting Butros Butros. Our last name starts with B. But now it has grown so that anyone in our circle gets the Butros Butros suggestion. It does have a ring to it...

I confess I posted on another (non-pregnancy) forum to someone who asked if she should be scared about ttc at age 33, because she'd be so old. I told about my experiences and gave a little advice, and I got a reply that I was very selfish for having a child at 40, since no doubt my children would miss out on all the fun in their early 20s because they'd be taking care of me when I'm all disabled and bedridden at 60. I remember when 40 seemed very old to me, but I know so many 60- and even 80-year-olds who are active and traveling the world and thriving. My parents and grandparents, for example.

Anyway, I shrugged off the post but decided that having children is a selfish thing to do in general, no matter the age. I am having children because I want them, I want to interact with them and watch them grow up and enjoy their company and play with them. That's all about me. I love that they're developing into their own little people, but that gives ME enjoyment. I also, very selfishly, want my genes to live on.

There are a lot of things about having children that require selflessness as well, but I think the desire to have them is selfish. What do you think?

I didn't even know what to say to that. How rude and ignorant. 40 is not old at all. You are much more level headed than I am. I would have chewed her out.

Wow! So as soon as you hit 60 you're bedridden and need to be taken care of? My parents both turn 63 this year and are going strong.
    And I do agree that having children is selfish to some point but also includes a lot of selflessness.

ITA! I can't stand watching other people fiddle with their eyes. And let's not even go with the contacts in and out thing. <shudder> I will be 40 in June and have never had a real eye exam (other than the eye chart type thing). It literally takes a crew of people to put drops in my eyes. Good thing I have had really good vision so far.
    I had to go TWICE last year within one month. Once for my glasses. The second time I was in bed with Cosmo and saying good morning and she was licking my face and accidently stepped in my eye. I screamed, she freaked out, I freaked out, had to stay home from work while DH took me to the eye doctor. Turned out she did scratch it and because it was her foot, I ended up with antibiotic cream in my eye and my eye really bothering me for about 2 days.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We had that discussion in class once and I was the only one who said yes it is.

If you were truly unselfish, one would do foster care and take care of children that are already here and need help.

But yeah the desire to have a baby on purpose....that is all about what I WANT.

I am still in the selfish category. I almost moved over but wasn't quite ready to give up the on the idea of a baby with our genetics just yet.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    And I do agree that having children is selfish to some point but also includes a lot of selflessness.
    This is where I would divide it....the desire to have a baby on purpose is selfish because it is all about you and your wants. The act of raising a child requires selflessness because there it becomes about their needs and wants.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Forty is totally old, and I'm so glad I'm getting there. Being young isn't all it's cracked up to be. Except of course for the genetic risk factor. When I was informed this week that because I'll be over 39 at birth I now have a 1/32 chance of having a baby with a birth defect I about

Lydia, I totally didn't know you had poop issues at my uncle's house, I'd have helped you know and lord knows their floors have seen worse.

Having children is totally selfish. And I have no issue saying that yes, I'm totally selfish. I want babies. I want babies of my OWN. I want lots of babies to try to outweigh the fact that so many idiots out there are having lots of babies and I want this world to be filled with more people like US instead of more people like THEM. In some ways, I feel like I should be like those nutball four-square christians who pop them out like they're pez, just to keep UP.

And I agree, the act of raising a child PROPERLY is all about selflessness. Unfortunately, too many parents stay selfish AFTER birth.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    And I agree, the act of raising a child PROPERLY is all about selflessness. Unfortunately, too many parents stay selfish AFTER birth.
    That was worded perfectly...

I confess I am watching Food Inc, and the very beginning is making me think of the new show I saw advertised on tv "Blood, Sweat and Takeaways"

Oh urp, I hope you haven't had a fast food cheeseburger lately.

Sigh. I confess that the English teacher just called me over to her classroom. She gave a "free write" today and one of her 11th grade students, who also takes my marine biology class wrote her free write paper about me. The paper started off so wonderfully, she spoke so highly of me. But then she sort of diverged and started talking about my lack of belief in a god/religion. She talked about how can I love the ocean so much and think that something so wonderful could not have been made by a god. That I don't seem open to exploring religion. She started the paper going on and on about how what a great teacher I am, how much I have taught her, how I am like her "second mother", how I am so prosperous and have three beautiful children and a wonderful caring husband....but my lack of faith makes her question me. I wasn't supposed to see this paper, and she asked the teacher not to let me see it, but the teacher thought I should. I'm not going to say anything to this student, but I feel sort of weird because of it now. IDK.

The teacher shouldn't have shown it to you. What good does that do anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    The teacher shouldn't have shown it to you. What good does that do anyone?
    I agree. I think she wronged both you and the student by showing it to you.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I agree with Stacy and Bridget, but on the positive side, I think that one of the best ways for people to learn tolerance is to start off with a fondness or admiration for someone of different beliefs/appearance/whatever. She's being honest about her conflicted feelings, and if she continues to think about it she may develop a greater understanding of both her own beliefs and of others'.

I confess that I am really upset right now because 1/2 of my daycare kids, as well as Kai, are out sick with horrible coughs and high fevers. I'm upset because I'm pretty sure that the little boy I sent home sick last week thursday was much sicker than I imagined and mom was just sending him here pumped full of cough medicine and tylenol. I can tell by the arsenol of medicine she carries in the diaper bag that she gives often. I'm mad at myself for not trusting my gut feeling and sending him home earlier in the week in spite of the fact that he was not running a fever.
    Now everyone is sick and I feel like I could have prevented it.

I agree with Stacy and Bridget, but on the positive side, I think that one of the best ways for people to learn tolerance is to start off with a fondness or admiration for someone of different beliefs/appearance/whatever. She's being honest about her conflicted feelings, and if she continues to think about it she may develop a greater understanding of both her own beliefs and of others'.
    Yes, I agree with this. I think the girl is clearly working through some feelings and I'm putting my money on her coming out of your class with a more open mind about people with different beliefs.
    I just feel that teacher betrayed her trust by showing it. I remember doing journaling in high school and I would have felt very upset if my teacher had shared my journals with anyone else when I assumed it would be only her reading it.

Totally. But the teacher really shouldn't have shared the paper. She's violating her student's privacy, and it doesn't do JENNY any good. What's she going to do, confront the student?

Stacy...I know I can't change anyone's mind (probably least of all yours) but I think you'd be a wonderful, amazing mom to a child with a birth defect. I hope you don't mind me saying that. I know you have your reasons but I just wanted to say something.

Thanks everyone. I just feel so weird right now. I couldn't even read the whole thing. I made it about 3/4 of the way though and had to put it down and put some other papers on top of it. I feel sort of violated and I'm sure if this student finds out that I read it, she's going to feel violated too. I don't plan on saying anything to anyone at work that I read this, but I feel sort of dirty.

Hugs Bridget. My dh took Ella to school with the chicken pox though I told him to keep her home. He was insistent that she had a rash from her antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Stacy...I know I can't change anyone's mind (probably least of all yours) but I think you'd be a wonderful, amazing mom to a child with a birth defect. I hope you don't mind me saying that. I know you have your reasons but I just wanted to say something.
    I appreciate that, and I agree. If I HAD to, I would. But that's not the lot I hope to share in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Thanks everyone. I just feel so weird right now. I couldn't even read the whole thing. I made it about 3/4 of the way though and had to put it down and put some other papers on top of it. I feel sort of violated and I'm sure if this student finds out that I read it, she's going to feel violated too. I don't plan on saying anything to anyone at work that I read this, but I feel sort of dirty.
    Hugs Jenny.

Jenny, the other thing I'd be thinking about is what the teacher's agenda was in showing it to you. I might be concerned that she is trying to say "Look what a good teacher and role model you are, and you would be so much better if only...."