Page 286 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1862362762842852862872882963363867861286 ... LastLast
Results 8,551 to 8,580 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Off to Kindle! Thx!

ETA: I should try to remember to tell you what free ones I get that I love. Unfortunately, by the time I get to them, read them, and love them, they cost money.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 03-01-2010 at 10:21 PM.

2. Default

I confess I Pandora, and have discovered some of my favorite songs/groups thanks to it!

Thats how we kept entertained at work before you could watch tv online.. lol

shutterbird Guest

I confess that I'm kinda confused. I didn't want to post this in NM's because I didn't want to offend anybody, but I'm honestly just.. confused. Why would you WANT your baby to take a binky? I thought it caused nipple confusion and was a PITA to wean them off? Is it because they don't cry as often with them?

Again, I'm not criticizing anybody, I just didn't know it was better for babies to take one. ?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We didn't really have much of a choice. When Ronin was not even half an hour old, he started sucking on anything that came near his mouth. His first picture is in the operating room while I'm getting stitched up, and he's latched onto my thumb like a little piranha. He happily breastfed, and I think I spent nearly half my time feeding him, but even when he wasn't eating he was miserable if something wasn't in his mouth. I think one of the benefits of binky use is that there is something that can soothe and quiet a baby nearly miraculously. Ronin would pretty much whimper if he didn't have it. It helped him sleep, it helped him relax, it helped him become the calm little guy that he is.

If he hadn't taken the binky so easily, I would have been desperate for another solution. It also reduces the risk of SIDS, which is a pleasant side benefit. On the down side, it is difficult to get rid of them and when there is no binky, oh beware beware the wrath of a baby deprived.

I think it's not only about the not crying as much--it's about soothing and making your baby more happy and content. Changing a diaper can stop a cry, but it's not like they get all peaceful because they're dry. A binky is like baby valium only without some of the same side effects.

Man, I need to go to bed. I'm totally rambling, not making much sense, and I don't have the patience to reread this and shorten or edit it.

shutterbird Guest

No, you make perfect sense! Thanks! I had never encountered the need for one since Lore wasn't a constant sucker and was on a near-perfect schedule since her NICU stay. She rarely cried or needed comforting... then again, I held her all of the time and we stuck to the same routine that we learned in the NICU.

Sorry if I seemed ignorant... I remember my BF'ing struggles and how I once read that pacifiers caused the nipple confusion. Of course that isn't the case for all babies!

Mia never had a paci either. MIL & several other people were really shocked and kept going on about it like it was child abuse or something. I think pacis are fantastic for babies with a strong need to suck, but Mia was 100% content without one, so why fix something that isn't broken?

I confess that I really want to cut all my hair off. I want it to be short without it looking like a "mom cut".

Lydia - I do think that having the daycare helped Kai learn to use the potty. Not to mention, Savana. She was taking him to the potty, helping him pull his pants down. She's a great little mommy.
    And for the record, I never thought I'd use pull-ups. To me they have always seemed like more of a marketing ploy than anything else. But Kai thinks they are more like underwear and he refuses to put on a cloth diaper. So, here I am, using the pullups that I always tell people not to use.

I want to cut all my hair off too, but DH hates short cuts. These days he's complimenting me on my hair every day and I'm feeling like it's way too long. LOL I just wish I had a cute cut that naturally looked good. I hate fussing with my hair but I want it to look good!
    Alright! I'll bite the bullet and try underwear. Since he's doing pretty well in pullups now, maybe it'll be less of a disaster than last time.
    Speaking of accidents, Josh spilled a whole cup of hot cocoa on the glider and throw pillows and didn't tell me. I was in the other room and I thought he drank it all until I found it all dry and crusty the next day. LOL Well we've needed a good reason to get rid of that glider anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    Sorry if I seemed ignorant... I remember my BF'ing struggles and how I once read that pacifiers caused the nipple confusion. Of course that isn't the case for all babies!
    Not at all ignorant. I've actually done a lot of reading about pacifiers, because I've wondered when a good time to try to stop might be and checked to see if what evidence there was regarding their use. A lot of times they recommend to try to establish a strong breastfeeding relationship for at least 2 weeks before binky use. Also, on the downside, there have been associations with speech delays, dental changes, and less breastfeeding with pacifier use (the first two primarily with long-term frequent use). I hadn't planned on using a pacifier so early, but both twins had a really good latch and Justin had to have his finger in Ro's mouth the whole time he wasn't bf-ing while we were in the hospital, so I actually asked for one.

Bridget, I use pull-ups when we leave the house, and made a point of calling them pull-up underwear. Claire never has an accident in them, and Ro has fewer accidents while wearing a pull-up than while wearing the cloth training pants. I also just recently discovered pull-ups for night-time, which is awesome because Claire gets out of bed and wants to use the potty in the middle of the night.

Sarah, I hope you can find a cut you like. It's hard to find a short one that isn't a mom cut, unless you go for something jagged or spiky.

I intended NOT to use a paci with Oscar. But the child had to suck ALL the time to be happy and selfish me, I wanted to poop without baby on the boob. He got a paci on night two and never had nipple confusion, nursed like a champ, spoke at 10 months, and has no dental issues because of it. He recently (two weeks ago) gave up his "Fi" on his own. At about 2 I limited it to sleeptimes, and he was fine with that.

The paci was a lifesaver. I'll do it again in a HEARTBEAT if the next baby needs one.

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I confess my eyes still burn slightly from my eye appointment this morning
    Yuck I hate that. Well I just HATE going to the eye doctor. I don't like eyeballs at all. Pictures of them gross me out. Models of them gross me out. My boss thinks it funny to show me the new eye books when they come in. LOL

I passed out at the eye doctor trying to learn to put contacts in....I stayed with glasses. LOL

last time I went to the eye doc, I warned him I was NOT a good eye person...so he tells me, oh I'm a good person with eyes. Ummm I should think so!

And I have awful eyes. They try to take away my glasses and ask me to read the chart. Well I can tell you the first letter is a huge E but only because i know it is there...I can't see it really without the glasses.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess that lately I have been obsessed with boy names. And it has nothing to do with this boy! I was thinking about how we have two girl names picked out for future children but if we were to have another boy in the future...we have NO other names!!

Jimi likes the idea of a Hawaiian middle name since we did a ritual in the Iao Valley on Maui at which time we asked for a child.

I decided today that I like the first name of Serj. No idea why but all of a sudden Serj Tankien came to mind and I have always liked his name but then it just hit me like a ton of bricks today that I would LOVE to use that name.

Whew, glad that's over. Talk about obsessing over the little things that don't even need to be thought about right now!
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

I confess that I'm kinda confused. I didn't want to post this in NM's because I didn't want to offend anybody, but I'm honestly just.. confused. Why would you WANT your baby to take a binky? I thought it caused nipple confusion and was a PITA to wean them off? Is it because they don't cry as often with them?

Again, I'm not criticizing anybody, I just didn't know it was better for babies to take one. ?
    I can see if, especially if you don't plan on nursing. I have also read that if a baby has one while sleeping, it does seem to help with SIDS.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Lydia - I do think that having the daycare helped Kai learn to use the potty. Not to mention, Savana. She was taking him to the potty, helping him pull his pants down. She's a great little mommy.
    And for the record, I never thought I'd use pull-ups. To me they have always seemed like more of a marketing ploy than anything else. But Kai thinks they are more like underwear and he refuses to put on a cloth diaper. So, here I am, using the pullups that I always tell people not to use.
    I can see the pullups being something different from cloth. I was just thinking of the experience I had with them vs regular diapers....and those kids generally didn't see a difference at all....and really the pullups where a PITA to change after they went in them....which they almost alwayd did because they looked and felt like their old diapers.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Sarah, I hope you can find a cut you like. It's hard to find a short one that isn't a mom cut, unless you go for something jagged or spiky.
    Yeah, that's so true. I was thinking of getting a kind of textured/shaggy bob something like the girl on the right has:

I have a feeling it may end up looking like a mom cut on me anyway, what with me not being a model and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    Whew, glad that's over. Talk about obsessing over the little things that don't even need to be thought about right now!
    Umm, yeah so I do that all the time. We have no baby, thinking I don't know if that will ever happen....but we have names!

We are building a house...and I KNOW that DH can handle only one thing at a time in terms of change and he needs time. Yet I can't stop thinking about a new puppy and names for her. It's hard to top a cool name like Cosmo (and we call her Coz and Cozie all the time too).
    It will probably be about 2 years before DH is ready for another dog.

Oh and than there are the vacations that we won't have the time or money for a while to take that I'm already trying to plan out.

I tend to be on the obessive side when I get an idea in my head.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess I'm currently growing my hair out to my rear end. I think that it's about a year out but my stylish says 6 months. I think that it has about 4 more inches to go.

Layers make it harder to take care of and the shorter it is, the more of a PITA it is to take care of. It's very thick with some natural curl/wave to it....so the weight really helps a lot. When it's shorter or in layers, I have to use a lot of product and make it curly every day. Longer and heavier, I can just brush it out and wear it down.

My DH likes long hair. And I have NEVER had had shorter than an inch or two below the shoulders since I was a baby.
    DH doesn't like dye either but I have already told him that if I start getting a lot of grey hairs that I'm coloring it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Buzz kill. Jimi vetoed Serj.

19. Default

Buzz kill. Jimi vetoed Serj.
    I like the name, but in my opinion its a little too different from James Donald.

You have one that's rather traditional... then one thats rather exotic.

20. Default

I confess I love Harry Potter even more now! I just saw that Daniel Radcliff is a HUGE gay rights supporter!!
    (I know that doesn't directly relate with Harry Potter... but oh well... oh.. and not to mention that Dumbledore was gay. that does! )

I like the name, but in my opinion its a little too different from James Donald.

You have one that's rather traditional... then one thats rather exotic.
    Well the girl names I have picked out are Denaysia June and Kashmir Kay...definitely not the norm. I like different.

If it wasn't for the tradition in Jimi's family, you can bet this boy would more than likely have a different name as well.

22. Default

Well the girl names I have picked out are Denaysia June and Kashmir Kay...definitely not the norm. I like different.

If it wasn't for the tradition in Jimi's family, you can bet this boy would more than likely have a different name as well.
    I like the different names... I love Kashmir btw....

and I understand the tradition... Charlie is named after B's grandmother he never met... and had she been a boy she'd have the middle name Dale... Its been the boys middle name on B's dads side for generations...

Though I must admit... Charlene wasn't my first choice... It actually took quite a bit of convincing for me to agree to it..

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I can see the pullups being something different from cloth. I was just thinking of the experience I had with them vs regular diapers....and those kids generally didn't see a difference at all....and really the pullups where a PITA to change after they went in them....which they almost alwayd did because they looked and felt like their old diapers.
    The Huggies pull-ups (I just discovered!) have detachable sides so you can open and close them like regular diapers if necessary.

My first experience with any kind of a pull-up diaper was visiting Stash and Oscar at her uncle's house. They were waiting for us out at the pool and I put swim diapers on the twins. Of course, immediately Claire pooped. I laid down the diaper mat and very carefully took off her suit and s l o w l y and carefully eased down the soiled swim diaper, trying not to get any poo on her legs or anywhere else, and of course she's kicking and wiggling all over the place. Dh was trying to keep Ronin out of the scene (one of the reasons we never changed diapers on the floor here), and it was a very difficult 5 minutes or so, and by the time we got out to the pool I was sweaty and stressed. Only later when I mentioned the saga to one of my friends did I find out they make all of those diapers with easy-rip sides, so I made it much more of a struggle than it actually was. D'oh!

Janeen, I think it's so funny that you're disappointed about dh nixing a boy name for a future baby. You would probably have a hard time with my dh, who has said no to well over 100 names I've suggested for this baby.

24. Default

I confess I saw this when logging into my email this morning.....

The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/201003...neddaysonearth

Seriously?? Who's going to miss 1.26 milliseconds?!

25. Default

Janeen, I think it's so funny that you're disappointed about dh nixing a boy name for a future baby. You would probably have a hard time with my dh, who has said no to well over 100 names I've suggested for this baby.
    Thats how B was with Audrianna(which was on my list from the get go... I'd liked the name since high school)... Then he walked up one day and said "How about Audrianna?" like it was his idea...

Though I have to say - I love Cole, and Soren!!!!!

Jimi just emailed me a picture of some crazy/psycho/scary looking guy (not Serj Tankian who has a tendency to look pretty psycho and crazy) and said...

"This guys name is Serj."

Okay, this is kinda inappropriate, but I can't stop laughing...

Funny shirt (comments too!)
    BWAHAHAHAHA That's awesome! Must share with my other heathen friends.

Ok so here is the non-mom here....I went through potty training with three kids before pullups were invented and they were all potty trained about 2 years old (they were girls).
    than pullups came on the market and the next two kids didn't potty train until well after 3. IMO, they are way too much like diapers. They make it too easy for the kid to just go and not have stop playing. I'm just NOT a fan of them at all and DH and I planned to never buy them (had we gotten pg easily, we could have a toddler by now and in the beginning we talked about our kid and parenting him/her ALL the time).
    I was going to do pullups when the time came, but many on APA have convinced me to go cloth undies instead. I'm hoping daycare will work with me on that. I think being around peers definitely makes it easier. They actually thought he was ready a couple months ago and asked me to bring pullups. He was seeing the bigger boys go and wanted to do what they were doing. But I just don't think he's ready. I don't know if they do cloth diapers, so I don't know how they'd feel about cloth training underwear. I sure don't want him to get confused between pullups at daycare and cloth at home.

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    So just to see what it came up with I checked a few and noticed when I checked "romantic" it greyed out "political." So I unchecked "romantic" and "political" came back. Then I checked "political" and "romantic" greyed out. I didn't realize the two were mutually exclusive! Apparently they are, at least in movies!
    So strange. And I'm off to Netflix to check out the changes.

...I downloaded that turned out to be faith fiction without my knowledge or consent. I just went in today and removed those books from my list, and realized I had six stealth faith books on there.

Speaking of recommendations, does anyone listen to Pandora? I have it on my phone, and my new car stereo can play it through my speakers by Bluetooth, and it is so cool! If you've never heard of it, it is one result of the Music Genome Project. You type in a song or an artist you're in the mood for, and it will play other songs that are similar. I put in Sigur Rós the first time I listened to it, and found several other artists that didn't sound exactly the same, but evoked the same feelings I had when I listened to Sigur Rós. I have been listening to artists and music I hadn't heard in years. I felt like Moody Blues the other day, and I got a lot of other songs with orchestral backgrounds and strong melodies. Anyway, if you haven't tried it yet, you should. The free computer version has some ads, but the phone app is commercial-free.
    "stealth faith books" You are awesome Lydia. Sneaky god stuff like a virus on our electronic gear.

I have tried Pandora with limited success. I was hoping to find more artists with music like Enya, but usually hit my song limit per hour quickly cause I keep trying to teach it, "No, that's not like Enya . . . No, that isn't either".

We didn't really have much of a choice. When Ronin was not even half an hour old, he started sucking on anything that came near his mouth. His first picture is in the operating room while I'm getting stitched up, and he's latched onto my thumb like a little piranha. He happily breastfed, and I think I spent nearly half my time feeding him, but even when he wasn't eating he was miserable if something wasn't in his mouth. I think one of the benefits of binky use is that there is something that can soothe and quiet a baby nearly miraculously. Ronin would pretty much whimper if he didn't have it. It helped him sleep, it helped him relax, it helped him become the calm little guy that he is.

If he hadn't taken the binky so easily, I would have been desperate for another solution. It also reduces the risk of SIDS, which is a pleasant side benefit. On the down side, it is difficult to get rid of them and when there is no binky, oh beware beware the wrath of a baby deprived.

I think it's not only about the not crying as much--it's about soothing and making your baby more happy and content. Changing a diaper can stop a cry, but it's not like they get all peaceful because they're dry. A binky is like baby valium only without some of the same side effects.
    Oh so well said. I have to say Liam was very like Ronin. We waited 2 weeks before introducing a binky, as I was very aware (from the APA BF room), that they could cause nipple confusion. But L had a very strong suck and was so comforted by it - after 2 weeks of sucking on our pinky fingers, we both began to wonder if we were going to lose our fingernails from all the suction. It took us 3 brands to settle on Soothie and oh what a blessing when you find the "right" paci.

We already have a "no talking with the binky in your mouth" rule, and when he tries I tell him I can't understand him because of the bink. Smart kid - he understands. He takes it out and repeats what he's saying (NOT that that guarantees I know what's coming out of his mouth, though!). I figure around 2 years it will be for naps and bedtime only, and we'll play it by ear from there. I'm not worried about binky wearing at this point.

Yuck I hate that. Well I just HATE going to the eye doctor. I don't like eyeballs at all. Pictures of them gross me out. Models of them gross me out. My boss thinks it funny to show me the new eye books when they come in. LOL
    ITA! I can't stand watching other people fiddle with their eyes. And let's not even go with the contacts in and out thing. <shudder> I will be 40 in June and have never had a real eye exam (other than the eye chart type thing). It literally takes a crew of people to put drops in my eyes. Good thing I have had really good vision so far.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Thats how B was with Audrianna(which was on my list from the get go... I'd liked the name since high school)... Then he walked up one day and said "How about Audrianna?" like it was his idea...

Though I have to say - I love Cole, and Soren!!!!!
    DH was the same with Mia. He vetoed it instantly the first time I had it on my list, then a week later he was like "We should call her Mia! It's perfect!" I think some names just grow on you.

Lydia - I love Soren.

Butros Butros, Lydia?
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

OMG I hadn't seen that shirt before! I just emailed it to Jimi...hopefully I get a surprise.

I want to get the dinosaur eating the fish applique (or whatever ya wanna call it) for my car too. So I can drive my car while wearing that shirt! Heck yes!

Oh and I guess while I'm at it, I had better finally throw on my bumper sticker that says "I found Jesus! He's drunk in my backseat!"

I've had it for years and have never put it on lol