Page 285 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1852352752832842852862872953353857851285 ... LastLast
Results 8,521 to 8,550 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

shutterbird Guest

[QUOTE=stash;1057143535]
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    I'll have to just defrost some tonight and see how it is. One of the resons I hate (okay, not hate) cooking is because I always fail!

Okay, I have a huge recommendation. Get either or both of these cookbooks:

http://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Today-...7461657&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Cookbo...7461657&sr=8-2

They are totally flawless and every single recipe I've tried from them are wonderful. You can't screw them up. And there's a recipe for everything you can think of. I got them both (I think) at Costco for next to nothing.
    Thank you! I will definitely check them out.

On a different note... Lydia, I just checked out your blog and am envious of your book collection. We just recently started to build Lore's, but it's slow-going. Books are expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    How are you?
    Doing good.
    I finally decided to come back and post on APA. I am nt sure what kept me away.
    I missed everyone.
    I confess that lately....I have been getting in more and more religious arguments and it sucks. I don't start them....it's just when someone asks I answer and they don't like it. I admit these "discussions" are quite lame.
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

I confess there is a guy at my church who I recognize but I cannot figure out how I know him. I think I even know his name. I was hoping by writing about it I might jog my own memory. LOL

I confess I told DH last night I have no desire for anything and he said "I think that's the saddest thing I've ever heard." He on the other hand desires things he cannot have. I'm not sure which is worse!

4. Default

I confess Utah's attempt to pass a law that would jail women who miscarry had me so angry that I almost missed my eye appointment

I saw that the law is poorly worded, but isn't it meant for women who *intend* to miscarry? I thought it was based on that one girl who had someone beat her up with the purpose of miscarrying. I think the thought is in the right place, but I can see the lines getting really blurry.

I saw that the law is poorly worded, but isn't it meant for women who *intend* to miscarry? I thought it was based on that one girl who had someone beat her up with the purpose of miscarrying. I think the thought is in the right place, but I can see the lines getting really blurry.
    Poorly worded indeed. I read something last week about that, and I sure didn't get that from the article. I think it said Iowa has already passed something similar and a woman who lost her baby after a fall down the stairs was prosecuted, but not convicted because she was in her second trimester and not her third. I can't imagine how they intend to manage those investigations.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

I hadn't heard anything about that. Wow! Maybe it's a good thing I can't seem to get pg....I'm a klutz and have fallen down the stairs more than once. that would suck to lose a baby AND get blamed legally for it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

8. Default

Its supposed to be for those that do something to intentionally miscarry, yes, but as you said.. Poorly worded, and lines are VERY blurry on it. I just think its a bad idea...

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    Poorly worded indeed. I read something last week about that, and I sure didn't get that from the article. I think it said Iowa has already passed something similar and a woman who lost her baby after a fall down the stairs was prosecuted, but not convicted because she was in her second trimester and not her third. I can't imagine how they intend to manage those investigations.
    I saw that... but I thought her baby was ok? at least the article I read the baby was fine. and the woman spent two days in jail for "attempted feticide"

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I saw that... but I thought her baby was ok? at least the article I read the baby was fine. and the woman spent two days in jail for "attempted feticide"
    You might be right. I remember that term. I haven't slept a lot since I read it.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Ugh! We are just bored out of our minds today.

11. Default

I confess I love my dad...

He's been dealing with a gout attack, and he started taking aleve yesterday. He told my mom earlier that its really been helping, hes not in nearly as much pain today, and she said "Well I did ask them to pray for you at church last night"

lol.. My dad answered back "that doesn't do anything" then grinned and laughed

If I decide to "intentionally miscarry" or abort, no matter, it's my ****ed business and not the law's. I confess this made me FURIOUS today, too. Anyone see the bit about the mother who was forceably hospitalized because she refused bedrest and then later miscarried in the hospital? Our country is crazy, and it's all god's fault.

I confess that Kai is, like, potty trained. I can't believe this! He's a natural. He just goes, whenever he has to go! He also wants no help washing his hands when he's finished so he puts his feet on the handles to the cabinet under the sink, leans over, turns on the water, gets soap, washed, dries. This kid amazes me.
    I posted my diapers on craigslist today. I am THRILLED to be done washing diapers.

Totally jealous Bridget! Can he come teach Josh? LOL
    When Josh has an accident he says "I forgot to tell you I had to pee/poop" What do I do? I take him every half hour pretty consistently. He's still in pullups. I guess I should try underwear and see if that affects him more.

When Josh has an accident he says "I forgot to tell you I had to pee/poop" What do I do? I take him every half hour pretty consistently. He's still in pullups. I guess I should try underwear and see if that affects him more.
    I don't know, man. I don't feel like I can take credit for this. This is all Kai. Savana was not nearly this easy. In fact, I worked with her for weeks and then gave up completely only to come back to it months later.

shutterbird Guest

I've heard that pull-ups don't help in some kids because they are too much like a diaper. Undies will probably work better with Josh.

That said, I really need to get on this PT business. I plan on buying a new potty seat (the old one is just a toy, apparently) that actually sits on the toilet. Hopefully that will help!

Yeah, I'm just worried about everything getting peed on again. LOL I do need to try it again though.

I came on to share this story--We bought some plastic eggs today. Josh decided to fill them with Skittles. I asked him to please not lose the eggs (you know, so we won't find rotten candy months from now). So he put them all in the fridge LOL

Yeah, I'm just worried about everything getting peed on again. LOL I do need to try it again though.

I came on to share this story--We bought some plastic eggs today. Josh decided to fill them with Skittles. I asked him to please not lose the eggs (you know, so we won't find rotten candy months from now). So he put them all in the fridge LOL
    Cute!
    Kai's been wearing pull ups to bed. I cloth diapered him so he was pissed whenever I tried to put a diaper on him for bed. He is so adamant that he does not wear diapers anymore. Because of the whole cloth thing, the pull ups are something different to him so he's okay with those just for night time but he wants his real underwear back the second he wakes up.
    I cringe using them after all this time in only cloth but whatever it takes for him to keep on this path.

shutterbird Guest

Okay, this is kinda inappropriate, but I can't stop laughing...

Funny shirt (comments too!)
    Last edited by shutterbird; 03-02-2010 at 12:19 AM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird
    On a different note... Lydia, I just checked out your blog and am envious of your book collection. We just recently started to build Lore's, but it's slow-going. Books are expensive!
    Are you at all empathetic about the storage problem I'm having? I had to put that on the blog just for my future memories, and also to let certain people know (ahem! Dad! MIL!) that we already have many of the books they're thinking about giving us. I love books, and I'm responsible for a good many of them, and I get bored and want new ones all the time, but part of me is a little dismayed whenever we get books as gifts just because I don't know what I'll do with them. I get a lot at used bookstores, and my parents can't stop buying books either, and then random people they know send last year's calendar with pictures of birds or a catalog full of weird people wearing bright clothing. I also find one book I like on Amazon and order three other books (for the price of four!) to go with it.

Speaking of potty-training, Claire is doing wonderfully, and again, Ronin is not doing as well. I can go an entire day without accidents if I put him on the potty every half-hour, but if I'm late at all he'll casually announce "I went in my pay-unts." I don't know where he learned to pronounce pants with two syllables. None of us do it. He knows that he's supposed to use the potty, that pants are not the appropriate potty place, and can obviously hold it since he goes almost every time I put him on the potty and because he's done so well in the past. He's just lost all initiative.

I'm really glad Kai has taken to potty-training so well. Bridget, does he see other kids close to his age sitting on the potty? I keep hearing that children train more easily if they see their peers doing it. That would be an advantage with a daycare or preschool setting.

There is so much Easter stuff in the stores! I stopped by to get bread and ended up with a bag of jellybeans too.

Our craft yesterday was marbleized paper with oil and food coloring. The paper turned out really neat, but the twins were playing hide-and-seek and only really stopped to pay attention when I was mixing the different colors. So it was pretty much a craft I did on my own.

I'm procrastinating getting back to painting, but will go in a few minutes. I'm trying to get all the stuff done tonight that I had planned on doing while dh was gone, and that includes touching up all the gouges and spots on the trim and baseboards. It's taken many many nights after the kids are in bed of sanding and cleaning and priming with two coats and then the actual paint.

Ok so here is the non-mom here....I went through potty training with three kids before pullups were invented and they were all potty trained about 2 years old (they were girls).
    than pullups came on the market and the next two kids didn't potty train until well after 3. IMO, they are way too much like diapers. They make it too easy for the kid to just go and not have stop playing. I'm just NOT a fan of them at all and DH and I planned to never buy them (had we gotten pg easily, we could have a toddler by now and in the beginning we talked about our kid and parenting him/her ALL the time).

That said, eventually he will potty train...I mean there aren't too many 6 year old wearing diapers!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I admire those that are crafty! I'm so NOT crafty...though we have a brand new Micheals and when I go in there, I almost wish I was a scrapper because that section is so cool!

My sister got all the art genes...I even used to have her to my biology drawings when I was 15 and she was only 10. LOL

I can crochet...that is it. I know one stitch and am REALLY good at it but had to finish a king blanket I had been working on for 10 years (so hot that I could only do it during the winter!). I just finished it so now maybe I can learn some more stitches.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I don't know where he learned to pronounce pants with two syllables. None of us do it.
    I have been cracking myself up over here trying to pronounce "pants" with one syllable! paaaaaaaaaahhhhhnts! I don't have a terrible accent, but I just can't quite do that one correctly.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

24. Default

I confess I bought all the stuff to make my manager a diaper cake for her baby shower, which I received my invite to today...

The shower is the saturday that my sister will be in town, so I am not sure how long I will go for.... maybe even just drop off the diaper cake and leave... but I kind of want to go to meet some people around my age.

LOL about pants and syllables.

I just went on Netflix and it usually gives me "suggestions" based on what I've watched before. Tonight it gave me a check box for me to select movies with certain characteristics. Haven't seen that before. So just to see what it came up with I checked a few and noticed when I checked "romantic" it greyed out "political." So I unchecked "romantic" and "political" came back. Then I checked "political" and "romantic" greyed out. I didn't realize the two were mutually exclusive! Apparently they are, at least in movies!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    I have been cracking myself up over here trying to pronounce "pants" with one syllable! paaaaaaaaaahhhhhnts! I don't have a terrible accent, but I just can't quite do that one correctly.
    Think ANTS with a slight Puh at the beginning.

27. Default

I confess my eyes still burn slightly from my eye appointment this morning

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Done painting! Yay! I also painted an end table that the kids use to stand on and look out the window. It was a free trashy piece of furniture that was chipped fake wood. Now it is a blissful off-white, same as our trim. I'm debating about painting some animal outlines or ABCs on it, or getting stickers or colored paper and then sealing those into place on the lower shelf, or if I should just leave it pristine.

I just found one movie via google that is romantic and political, but it's indie: Mass Romantic. Other than that, it looks like Netflix is pretty much right on.

I am almost always impressed by recommendations based on previous purchases. However, I confess I am annoyed at the recommendations that keep coming up for me based on the Kindle free books I downloaded that turned out to be faith fiction without my knowledge or consent. I just went in today and removed those books from my list, and realized I had six stealth faith books on there. I got smarter over time, and picked up on it much sooner as time went on, but it doesn't know I deleted some of them without reading them.

Speaking of recommendations, does anyone listen to Pandora? I have it on my phone, and my new car stereo can play it through my speakers by Bluetooth, and it is so cool! If you've never heard of it, it is one result of the Music Genome Project. You type in a song or an artist you're in the mood for, and it will play other songs that are similar. I put in Sigur Rós the first time I listened to it, and found several other artists that didn't sound exactly the same, but evoked the same feelings I had when I listened to Sigur Rós. I have been listening to artists and music I hadn't heard in years. I felt like Moody Blues the other day, and I got a lot of other songs with orchestral backgrounds and strong melodies. Anyway, if you haven't tried it yet, you should. The free computer version has some ads, but the phone app is commercial-free.

shutterbird Guest

I hear you with the Kindle rec's, Lydia. I've gotten annoyed enough to not even bother purchasing something (via the Kindle) unless I know what it is. On the Amazon website, you can look at the categories that it's under. If it's listed as Faith or Christianity, I usually just skip right over.

shutterbird Guest

BTW, I just checked the Bestsellers section and they have a ton of (free) newbies.