Page 284 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1842342742822832842852862943343847841284 ... LastLast
Results 8,491 to 8,520 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I really wish that I was one of those people who found exercise fun...no matter what type I try, I would really much rather be watching TV or reading a book (or doing both at the same time!).

So yeah I'm going to try to get them to try me on metformin....
    The only way I could ever exercise was with a book or tv. I liked the elliptical trainer the best (the bike is fine but doesn't burn as many calories) and would have a book propped up or the tv on in front of me. Alas, I've only touched it once since the twins were born.

The metformin sounds like a GREAT idea! Wouldn't it be great if it worked for everything? Did you have a workup by a reproductive endocrinologist ever?

When my dh was big on taking all of his anti-aging supplements, he also started taking metformin because he wanted the benefits, not because he had a medical reason.

Anti-aging benefits

Diabetes is believed by many gerontologists to be an example of accelerated or premature aging. Nearly everyone past middle age suffers from a loss of glucose tolerance with age. Metformin’s benefits may also include reducing the risk of age-related diabetes, prevention of sugar cravings, improved body composition with improved insulin use and the stabilization of sugar levels.

Metformin also lowers cholesterol levels and helps prevent low-density lipoproteins (‘bad cholesterol’) from attaching to blood platelets and arteries, thereby reducing the risk of blood clotting. Due to the sugar stabilizing properties of Metformin, it is also a useful aid for dieters, helping to prevent sugar cravings.
    Finally, I want to say my dinner party went well. My mom came over an hour early and entertained the twins so I could cook. My BIL fixed the tv, and I have to confess I feel really stupid about it. Apparently it was disconnected from the cable in the back, and I hadn't even checked it because I knew Claire was messing around with the buttons in the front and the same thing had happened last week where she programmed channel 3 out of existence. Stupid assumptions.

Stacy, I hope your dh is over his whiny snotapus phase. The main times my dh gets really touchy is if I'm irritated, and I can't stand it. Even if it's not at him, or if I'm doing my level best to get over it, he sees my temper and raises me, which makes it way harder to get over my initial annoyance. So I know how it is, and it doesn't help to be somewhat of the instigator.

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

Eric is actually sick. This man has the immune system of steel, he never gets sick. But boy is he milking it. Laying on the couch, being short with the kids, etc. I told him I was going to treat him just like he treats me when I'm sick, so I've been routinely telling him to suck it up and that it's not that bad.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Eric is actually sick. This man has the immune system of steel, he never gets sick. But boy is he milking it. Laying on the couch, being short with the kids, etc. I told him I was going to treat him just like he treats me when I'm sick, so I've been routinely telling him to suck it up and that it's not that bad.
    I had never heard the phrase man cold before someone posted about it in ranting, but I've never met a man who doesn't get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    The name 'man cold' disguises the true terrible, debilitating disease that is the man cold. Nearly all men will die from man colds unless they are administered immediately with large amounts of mindless TV such as daytime TV, or childrens' cartoons. It is essential that they not move from bed or a comfy sofa to allow for rehabilitation, and must have tissues and man cold medicine (such as chocolate biscuits, McDonalds, or a nice cup of tea) brought to them constantly by a nearby female.

I confess I went to my best friends yesterday for her daughters 3rd birthday party and my kids did so so so awesome. There was candy everywhere and they didn't even ask for a piece of it. They each had some oreo cookie ice cream cake and that was it. And Kai had no accidents. At one point he was upstairs with my best friend and told her he had to use the potty.
    After everyone left I got to be alone with just my friend and our kids and it was so lovely. I wish we weren't 2 hours apart so we could do it every weekend. I swear, everytime I'm with her I wish to myself that I had found a man who was just like her (but a man). How nice it would be to have that ease in my life all the time.

I also confess that I'm at my parents right now. They live exactly halfway between my friend's home and my home. They had called me earlier in the day and said if I didn't want to drive all the way home I should stay with them. I had thought I'd just go home. But I called dbf and he was at the pub up the road having a couple of drinks with his buddy. After the way he acted last weekend, I had no desire to be around him "after a couple drinks".
    And anyway, my parents were thrilled when we came through the front door. That's such a great feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I confess I went to my best friends yesterday for her daughters 3rd birthday party and my kids did so so so awesome. There was candy everywhere and they didn't even ask for a piece of it. They each had some oreo cookie ice cream cake and that was it. And Kai had no accidents. At one point he was upstairs with my best friend and told her he had to use the potty.
    After everyone left I got to be alone with just my friend and our kids and it was so lovely. I wish we weren't 2 hours apart so we could do it every weekend. I swear, everytime I'm with her I wish to myself that I had found a man who was just like her (but a man). How nice it would be to have that ease in my life all the time.
    Oh, I had the same thought when I was hanging out with a friend who came to visit last week! It was so nice to be around her, I felt relaxed and happy. It really put things into perspective.

I confess, that I've just started noticing plaque on Mia's teeth. I'm so bummed. I bet it's from that stupid sugary medicine we've been giving her.

I confess that I made a snowman with Mia earlier today, and now we're baking cut-out sugar cookies. It's like Christmas all over again!

You make it sound like fun to play in the snow.

The twins are sick enough that I don't want to expose other kids, so we're making marbleized paper with food coloring. Actually, it's drying now, because it's messy enough that I wouldn't want to leave it and go type on the computer. Ronin is now running around purposefully with a little bucket full of legos, saying "Goodbye--I'm going to work!"

I started noticing plaque on the twins' teeth around 2 years old, and that's about when they started getting morning breath, too. I don't know that it's related to the medicine--it might just be coincidental.

Take care of the plaque, even if it means getting in there with a dental tool and scraping it off yourself. I know this from experience. Oscar started being AWFUL about toothbrushing at about 2 years and would throw a huge fit. I THOUGHT I was getting everything, but he would clamp his lower lip over his top teeth, and I missed a ridge by his gums up there for a WHILE. By the time I realized it (I am really not negligent) it had formed a little ridge of plaque. Managed to get it off, but he then developed a cavity in his front tooth between the teeth, in a place dentists won't FILL in children because the fillings apparently just fall out every couple of months. So he had to have a CAP put on, and it was a miserable experience, and it doesn't look as nice as his regular teeth.

Yes, DH is back to normal for the most part, but it took my saying to him "dude, PLEASE, you're a growed-up" for him to back down and apologize. now he's being his sweet old self.

Definitely take care of those baby teeth! My mom still had several as an adult...and one that lasted until her 50's. The adult teeth just never came in.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah, I've decided to make a point of brushing Mia's teeth every morning, no exceptions. We always do evenings, obviously, but I'm hit & and miss in the morning rush. I'm going to have be much more diligent about it.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Take care of the plaque, even if it means getting in there with a dental tool and scraping it off yourself. I know this from experience. Oscar started being AWFUL about toothbrushing at about 2 years and would throw a huge fit. I THOUGHT I was getting everything, but he would clamp his lower lip over his top teeth, and I missed a ridge by his gums up there for a WHILE. By the time I realized it (I am really not negligent) it had formed a little ridge of plaque. Managed to get it off, but he then developed a cavity in his front tooth between the teeth, in a place dentists won't FILL in children because the fillings apparently just fall out every couple of months. So he had to have a CAP put on, and it was a miserable experience, and it doesn't look as nice as his regular teeth.

Yes, DH is back to normal for the most part, but it took my saying to him "dude, PLEASE, you're a growed-up" for him to back down and apologize. now he's being his sweet old self.
    Ugh...I can picture Mia absolutely flipping out in that situation, so I imagine it was suck-city for poor Oscar.

13. Default

I confess my pizza for dinner (canadian bacon, sauerkraut, and tomato) was absolutely delicious

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I confess my pizza for dinner (canadian bacon, sauerkraut, and tomato) was absolutely delicious
    Did you make that yourself? I have never seen a pizza like that. Dbf would LOVE that. So would the kids, actually. Minus the tomato.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Did you make that yourself? I have never seen a pizza like that. Dbf would LOVE that. So would the kids, actually. Minus the tomato.
    Not really lol... My mom got a canadian bacon and tomato pizza, then when she brought it home, I put sauerkraut on it. so yummy!!

I had it for the first time at a little bar in Alaska, and have been hooked since!

16. Default

Stash -- I was stalking the knocked up heathens thread, and saw you mentioned Food Inc.

I saw that we carry that movie at work, and was tempted to rent it and bring it home... Is it one you'd recommend?

shutterbird Guest

Sauerkraut

I confess I'm a little peeved. I made spaghetti (w/ the sauce & meat) and froze the leftovers since we had a ton. I read on a website tonight that freezing the noodles = a no no. Has anyone else done it this way and had it defrost okay?

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    Yeah, I've decided to make a point of brushing Mia's teeth every morning, no exceptions. We always do evenings, obviously, but I'm hit & and miss in the morning rush. I'm going to have be much more diligent about it.
    Same here. I really need to pick up the slack. Her top front teeth don't look so great. We really need to make a dentist appointment... Putting that on the to-do... now.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    Sauerkraut

I confess I'm a little peeved. I made spaghetti (w/ the sauce & meat) and froze the leftovers since we had a ton. I read on a website tonight that freezing the noodles = a no no. Has anyone else done it this way and had it defrost okay?
    Did you put the noodles in with the sauce or freeze it separately? I think it would be okay all mixed together but not sure about if the noodles are frozen plain.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Did you put the noodles in with the sauce or freeze it separately? I think it would be okay all mixed together but not sure about if the noodles are frozen plain.
    Noodles usually go mooshy. I know people who won't even add noodles to soup, but have them cooked up on the side and add as served.
    You've already done it, so I would just choose to thaw it out when you have a back up option available (leftovers, lots of time) if things don't turn out well.
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

Kim, I had some baked ziti I froze and ate at a later date and it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    Sauerkraut

I don't but I freeze soup with noodles in it all the time. The one soup called for potatoes and the veggies but the potatoes got yucky defrosting so I just little shells now.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    Stash -- I was stalking the knocked up heathens thread, and saw you mentioned Food Inc.

I saw that we carry that movie at work, and was tempted to rent it and bring it home... Is it one you'd recommend?
    Yes, if you can stomach it. It will make you freak out about meat if you eat meat from the grocery store and don't know exactly where it came from. But it's very much worth KNOWING.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    Ugh...I can picture Mia absolutely flipping out in that situation, so I imagine it was suck-city for poor Oscar.
    He was actually SO GOOD about it. And the dental folks were very good with him. I held him and talked to him the whole time, it only took maybe 20 minutes, and he only flipped at the very end because they were rinsing and the water was choking him a bit. The poor guy. But he did great, and he's not even afraid of the dentist. That almost made it WORSE for me, because he was such a trooper.

Oh, and I make rigatoni, lasagne, etc and freeze with no problem. I just undercook the noodles and add more sauce.

ladies.
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

shutterbird Guest

I'll have to just defrost some tonight and see how it is. One of the resons I hate (okay, not hate) cooking is because I always fail!

Some food for thought articles:

Found: First Ever Animal Trails

What Came 'Before' the Big Bang - Theory

Hmm, I have frozen lasagna, both after it's been cooked, and also assembled but "raw", and never had any problems. I always use the "no boil" kind of lasagna noodles (ever since I discovered they were a huge time-saver in an already long process of lasagna).
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

[quote=shutterbird;1057143436]I'll have to just defrost some tonight and see how it is. One of the resons I hate (okay, not hate) cooking is because I always fail!

Okay, I have a huge recommendation. Get either or both of these cookbooks:

http://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Today-...7461657&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Cookbo...7461657&sr=8-2

They are totally flawless and every single recipe I've tried from them are wonderful. You can't screw them up. And there's a recipe for everything you can think of. I got them both (I think) at Costco for next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaAnew View Post
    ladies.

How are you?