Page 283 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1832332732812822832842852933333837831283 ... LastLast
Results 8,461 to 8,490 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, I am so happy for a stress-light, nearly perfect potty training week for you!

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Do you guys think it would be possible to have a "preggo ladies thread" here in secular? There's a few of us on here and you ladies are my fav. group, so I wondered if we should do a thread?
    What should the name be? I vote for ANY title that does not contain the words prego or preggo.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    What should the name be? I vote for ANY title that does not contain the words prego or preggo.
    What about "preggers"?

I'm so glad some of you can't stand the cutesy words either!

LOL..."Knocked up heathens" Would that be a good thread title?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

How about "More of us!"

I confess I'm thrilled dh is changing his ticket and coming back from India early. His colleagues there never bothered to coordinate the lab visits for him in Bangalore (although they kept saying they'd do it), and he can't do it himself or have someone else do it without causing offense. It's a very touchy situation. Also, I don't know why he ended up going to Delhi yesterday. This is the email I got:

Had an awful day. Five hours drive Delhi to Agra. Squalid beyond belief, like spending five hours in a burning landfill turned refugee camp. At one point my driver got into an altercation with the passenger of another car, and I think insulted him; the other guy got out, got a large cane from his trunk, and grabbed my driver by the throat through the window. I threatened him and he backed off. The driver has also been trying to tout me into going to places he gets kickbacks or whatever. Took four tries, an hour, and solid displays of anger to get him to go to the hotel I wanted. Iím thinking about changing my flight, and will try to see what it would cost. Maybe seeing the Taj Mahal this evening will improve things.
    On the one hand, I'm sad that he's not enjoying it too much. On the other hand, I'm so thrilled he's coming back in three days instead of a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    How about "More of us!"

I confess I'm thrilled dh is changing his ticket and coming back from India early. His colleagues there never bothered to coordinate the lab visits for him in Bangalore (although they kept saying they'd do it), and he can't do it himself or have someone else do it without causing offense. It's a very touchy situation. Also, I don't know why he ended up going to Delhi yesterday. This is the email I got:

On the one hand, I'm sad that he's not enjoying it too much. On the other hand, I'm so thrilled he's coming back in three days instead of a week.
    Oh my Lydia! Your husband is a tough guy eh? I imagine most people would just sit back and wait for the altercation to play itself out.
    I hope he gets home early!

Oh my lord, Lydia. How yucky for Justin (but good for you). If he ever has to go back to India, PLEASE tell me. I have dear, dear friends there who own a travel company and I had such excellent experiences because they gave me a driver and "chaperone" while I was there that kept me out of the muck that Justin seems to have gotten into. I'm sure they'd do the same for Justin if I asked.

And I vote for KNOCKED-UP HEATHENS for sure.

Serious about that, too.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    And I vote for KNOCKED-UP HEATHENS for sure.
    Im not pregnant, but I love this for a thread name!

edited cause Im lame
    Last edited by The10Eels; 02-27-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Oh and... I confess I'm going to go through the bags of maternity clothes today. I'm afraid I won't make it more than another week without looking all poochy and being totally uncomfy. My challenge is - last two pregnancies were spring/summer when I was big - I think all I have is capri pants and that will NOT do for a spring here. I do NOT want to buy clothes...

How in the hell am I going to make it to 13 weeks before I tell anyone? We decided to wait that long because if our CVS comes back abnormal, we'll abort (this is the only room where I won't get totally face-bashed for admitting that) and I don't feel like explaining that to all my wackadoo relatives and friends, and ESPECIALLY not to Oscar. But like, people are going to KNOW...

Just don't mention it and let people wonder, and wear baggy clothes. It's still cold there so you can get away with bulky sweaters. I started showing this time before my first pregnancy test, and had the first stranger ask me if I was pregnant when I was 7 weeks along this time. However, as long as you're prepared, you can just lie about it and say no.

People will suspect, but they won't KNOW unless you tell them.

The other thing is you could say you lost the baby if you decide to abort. You don't need to tweet every step or anything, as seems to be the growing trend. Have any of you seen that?

-------------------------
    Bridget, my dh can be physically intimidating, and also I think it takes a little more willpower to get in an altercation with a foreigner.

Dh has one more day in Delhi and will start the two-day process of returning home after that. He's going to try to see the Taj Mahal again today, since the last time he went the line was really long and people kept wanting him to bribe them in order to get in.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 02-27-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    What about "preggers"?
    I can't say as I particularly care for that one either.

Lydia, I'm glad your DH is coming home soon! India sounds like a very interesting country to visit, but I am rather intimidated by it.

'Knocked up Heathens' it is then. I'll go start a thread.

Stash, I told people just this past week at work (was 13 weeks on Tuesday) and a few people were like, "we were wondering about you looking a bit pudgy." (English people are not known for their tact...LOL). It is hard to not look so pregnant with any pregnancy after your first, I think. I wore lots of baggy dresses with leggings and empire waist type shirts. Totally in the maternity clothes now and feeling much more comfy.

My mom is too funny. She lost power on Thursday night due to a big storm. So when it wasn't back on the next day, she took off to a hotel. But she doesn't just find a Best Western, or Resident Inn, where does she go? The freaking Charles hotel. One of the finest hotels in the Boston area.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    But she doesn't just find a Best Western, or Resident Inn, where does she go? The freaking Charles hotel. One of the finest hotels in the Boston area.
    She sounds like me.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    She sounds like me.
    I confess that when I saw your "Who's that?" post I really wanted to respond with "Tis I!" in my post on that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    I confess that when I saw your "Who's that?" post I really wanted to respond with "Tis I!" in my post on that thread.
    Heathen.

p.s. I confess that sometimes I think my husband is a whiny snotapuss. He's in a bad mood today, and I TOTALLY get that. We all get in bad moods. But he picked a crap fight with me this morning because I was crabby with him. I was, it was my fault, I got snippy. I apologized, it wasn't THAT bad and he got nasty with me and has been a whiny baby ever since.

I don't complain about him much, because truly, he's a genuinely wonderful man, but GOOD LORD it's like having another child some days.

I also confess (I am bored right now can you tell?) that I'm a sucker for Jewish holidays and am planning to make hamentaschen and kreplach with Oscar tonight when he wakes from his nap. I love love love Purim and my only misgiving is that I can't drink myself into a stupor (part of the ritual) tonight.

I love any holiday that's about food and drink. Yahoo! I guess I can understand fasting type religious holidays for the feeling of rejuvenation or purity associated with it, but I'd be thinking more about my next cheeseburger than any higher power.

I'm making dinner for my sister, her husband, and my mother tonight. My aunt was also going to come, but I sent out an email this morning saying Ronin was sick and had been exposed to pertussis a few days ago, and my aunt wrote back that she was relieved she didn't have to come over. Not because of my cooking or anything, but because she's flaky and a little bit agoraphobic or something.

So I'm whipping around, preparing for dinner and cleaning and putting away laundry and dishes and mopping, etc. But I'm stopping by every little while for a quick rest and internet check.

Have fun cooking with Oscar, Stacy!

shutterbird Guest

I hear you, Stacy. My husband gets cranky if I'm cranky... and then stays that way for hours after.

I confess I got a great compliment today because Lorelai was being uber polite. (Thank you, no thank you, excuse me. ) It's nice for somebody to notice!

I confess that I have a facebook "friend" (I actually barely know her) who keeps putting up pics of her little girls in pageants. The hair, the make-up, the dresses - it really creeps me out!

Augh! Claire messed with the buttons on the tv and now I can't get it to work. She did this last week, but I managed to fix it. I have now spent 30 minutes trying to fix it, and can't. This is how I keep them occupied while I cook dinner (for company tonight), so I don't know what I'm going to do.

And when I told Claire it was broken, she started wailing and just finished a minute ago.

ETA Have I mentioned I miss dh? He would not only be able to fix it, but if he couldn't he would be able to entertain the children or keep them off of me while I tried to fix it.

Sorry Lydia I'm all too familiar with that.
    Today we went to a kids workshop at Lowe's and made a car. It was way above his skill level--I ended up doing just about the whole thing-- but it was something to do. Well it already fell apart and we lost a wheel.

On the other hand my chicken pot pie came out fantastic

27. Default

mmmmm chicken pot pie sounds amazing!

I confess I went out and bought myself a new laptop today... and I have an appointment for an eye exam, and will be getting new glasses on monday... and my ring should be in within the next two weeks...

I havent bought this much stuff for myself since before B and I got married!!!

I confess....I'm United States of Tara right now....if anyone has showtime, this show is great.

I confess my Pt Cruiser is in the shop. Needs a new alternator. Dh has been forced to work every third weekend (so 12 days straight) and now all the overtime will go the repair. This is his weekend so he has been sleeping since early this afternoon...he works 3rd shift.

I confess that I'm so outta shape. My BFF recommended these 10 minute solutions videos and has lost over 40 lbs doing them and also watching/changing her diet. So I have been doing a hip hop dance one...which is pretty funny because I'm super uncoordinated. And now tonight I did one where you do kettlebell movements but can use a dumbbell. Yeah she she says that a kettlebell is like 8-10 lbs but to try a 3-5 lb dumbbell if you need. So I use my 2 lb dumbell...and only lasted through 8 minutes. OMG I was breathing so hard...the movements weren't hard but dang was my heart pumping! It was only about 2.5 hours ago but my legs already are sore. LOL

I really wish that I was one of those people who found exercise fun...no matter what type I try, I would really much rather be watching TV or reading a book (or doing both at the same time!).

I confess most of the time I am ok but for a few days this past week the whole infertility thing had me pretty down.
    But I'm starting to wonder if I do maybe have some form of PCOS and am going to try to get metformin when I go in a few weeks for an exam.
    I went in for a skin check since I figured I'm 31 so should probably have one...that was fine but the derm kept talking about my hidradenitis (a skin condition that I have dealt with since I was like 10 and nothing really helps but I only have it in places that only DH and a doctor sees and I just deal). She seems to think that she can help it and while there I had 4 cysts injected (which does help some). Anyway it had been a year or two since I did a lit search on the condition to see if anything new came up...it's not a high research area. And guess what I found....a case study in 2009 where a woman with this condition was treated with....METFORMIN. Seems to be something of a link with hidradenitis, PCOS, insulin resistance, hypothyroidism (which I do have) and androgens. Hmmmm. My sister is pretty sure she has PCOS....very textbook symptoms. My blood sugar so far is ok BUT my dad is type 2, his brother is insulin dependent (lost an eye to diabetes), their dad eventually lost both legs to diabetes.

So yeah I'm going to try to get them to try me on metformin....and maybe that will help the skin when nothing else has (and I did so many YEARS of antibiotics and am done with that and the case isn't severe enough for surgical removal of the entire areas).
    And who knows...maybe that will help get my cycles going a bit better. And help with the losing some weight.
    I would settle with the skin getting some help though (it has happened before where I might have a cyst in a bad spot that screws up either of us wanting to try for a baby).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    mmmmm chicken pot pie sounds amazing!

I confess I went out and bought myself a new laptop today... and I have an appointment for an eye exam, and will be getting new glasses on monday... and my ring should be in within the next two weeks...

I havent bought this much stuff for myself since before B and I got married!!!
    Oh fun!!!

Kate, how did you do your chicken pot pie? Details please!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I seared off 3 chicken breasts in a pan and added water about halfway up the breasts. I covered and let them simmer until I could pull apart the meat easily. (about 45 minutes) I used store bought crust and put the chicken in the bottom half. I prefer no veggies in my pie so added nothing but that.

I measured the broth the chicken cooked in and had about a cup so I mixed a couple tablespoons of water and a tablespoon of cornstarch together (it should have the consistency and look of milk) and whisked it into the hot broth. Poured that on top of the chicken and put on the top crust, cut a few slits and baked about 25 minutes.

I wished I had a little more broth. I erred on the side of caution so it wouldn't be soupy. It was kind of dry but very good.