Page 274 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1742242642722732742752762843243747741274 ... LastLast
Results 8,191 to 8,220 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #8191

    Default

    Poor baby I understand worrying when they won't eat!

  2. #8192
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Are teachers even still expecting kids to use libraries or are they accepting internet as a source these days?
    I don't know! I mean if it were up to me it would really depend on the website. I'm in a hospital but really the majority of stuff is online that I do (journals and such). BUT they are paid subscriptions.

    As far as I know, the encyclopedia is now an online resource (nice because it can be updated much easier!)...but the public library has a subscription.

    I think that a good teacher would expect a library to be used. There is a lot of info online but the very best stuff is usually not free and is subscription based. Plus there are always books!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  3. #8193
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I win the Bad Mommy Award today. Mia has barely eaten in days because she's sick. I've been doing pretty well at not freaking out about it, but today I lost my cool and force-fed her two spoonfuls of bolognese sauce. I thought she might want more if I could get her to taste it, but it just made her cry hysterically.
    Aw, I'm sad for both of you. I can totally understand your motivation. At our peak of worrying about Ro's weight, I would spoon pudding into him after dinner. One time he turned his head away and I said "Just one more bite" and he reluctantly ate it and then promptly vomited his entire dinner up. I hope she (and you) feel better soon.

    Sunrider, congrats on the job! What a relief!


  4. #8194
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Are teachers even still expecting kids to use libraries or are they accepting internet as a source these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I don't know! I mean if it were up to me it would really depend on the website. I'm in a hospital but really the majority of stuff is online that I do (journals and such). BUT they are paid subscriptions.

    As far as I know, the encyclopedia is now an online resource (nice because it can be updated much easier!)...but the public library has a subscription.

    I think that a good teacher would expect a library to be used. There is a lot of info online but the very best stuff is usually not free and is subscription based. Plus there are always books!
    In the schools where I have worked the teachers bring the students to the library to learn about research. The librarian does teach them to search for books in the library but doing online searches (and locating reliable sites online) is part of learning library use these days. Well, that was when my schools could still afford elementary librarians. Now we don't have anyone in there to teach library skills and the teachers have to figure it out for themselves.

    When I was in grad school I almost never needed to go to the library because of online subscriptions. Now I get access to most of the journals I need through my professional organization, but sometimes I need an unusual journal and my public library and my school won't pay for a subscription so I get my dad to access it online through his university account and email it to me. We've come a long way from the days of card catalogs, haven't we?
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  5. #8195
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,926

    Default

    I confess I have a brand new work laptop! The special ed department got some new ones, and after all my computer malfunction imp issues, they put me first on the list for one of them!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  6. #8196
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    19,097

    Default

    I'm a librarian and I teach one section of marine science. I fully expect my students to use the library and have taken them on field trips to use our local University library. Our next trip is March 24th!





  7. #8197
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    19,097

    Default

    I confess that I am so happy that we have a nurse coming in to take care of Ella the next 3 days!! Dh and I have missed so much work this year with the H1N1, Ronin's evaluations, etc., that we were both kinda scared what this might do to our careers. Thank goodness for excellent benefits!!!





  8. #8198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I confess that I am so happy that we have a nurse coming in to take care of Ella the next 3 days!! Dh and I have missed so much work this year with the H1N1, Ronin's evaluations, etc., that we were both kinda scared what this might do to our careers. Thank goodness for excellent benefits!!!
    A nurse is coming to your house to care for her? That is flippin amazing! Are those DH's benefits? Does she have chicken pox?
    ETA Just saw your update in your workout thread. Hope she gets better quickly!
    Last edited by Bridget; 02-16-2010 at 08:00 PM.

  9. #8199
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    20,072

    Default

    I confess that I'm a Facebook biaaaaaaaaaaaatch.

    A girl I used to work had this status:

    Live your life for Christ and try your best as a Christian and do not let the opinion of others effect your life, because the only one who can judge you is God.
    To which I replied with:

    I don't wanna. And if God was the only one who could judge, us humans wouldn't do it all the time. =P
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;


  10. #8200
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I confess that I am so happy that we have a nurse coming in to take care of Ella the next 3 days!! Dh and I have missed so much work this year with the H1N1, Ronin's evaluations, etc., that we were both kinda scared what this might do to our careers. Thank goodness for excellent benefits!!!
    That is amazing! I hope she's feeling better soon.

    Mia is getting better but now I'm getting sick. I have an old high school friend visiting from overseas on Friday. I can't get sick now!


  11. #8201
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,236

    Default

    I confess that I love the Norwegian curling team's pants:



  12. #8202
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    19,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    A nurse is coming to your house to care for her? That is flippin amazing! Are those DH's benefits? Does she have chicken pox?
    ETA Just saw your update in your workout thread. Hope she gets better quickly!

    Yes, it's an amazing benefit!! 20 times per year, per kid we can use it.

    She woke up last night crying and this morning crying. She has more spots and is certainly not feeling good.





  13. #8203

    Default

    Janeen, you are a very bad llama. And that's my judgement!

    Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I confess that I love the Norwegian curling team's pants:

    Dagnabbit, when is curling going to be televised!!!! I'm a freak I know, but I love it!
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008



  14. #8204
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post

    When I was in grad school I almost never needed to go to the library because of online subscriptions. Now I get access to most of the journals I need through my professional organization, but sometimes I need an unusual journal and my public library and my school won't pay for a subscription so I get my dad to access it online through his university account and email it to me. We've come a long way from the days of card catalogs, haven't we?
    Well I really do not remember ever really using a card catalog. We got online catalogs in grade school.

    I LOVE the online journals. It makes my job so much better and easier because we only get like 70 titles in print I think. But we have access to something like 5000 journals online (we are attached to a very big teaching medical institution and their library). I love being able to send docs and nurses articles pretty much right away...especially when they are urgent patient care.
    Now the e-books...I don't like using those at all! Still very clunky.

    Ha, when I worked as a student in the library in college (would have been 1998-2002), I thought that everything I needed was online and would only use those resources when writing papers. I didn't realize until about 2001 that all those journals I shelve were NOT always included in the online databases. LOL

    It just really makes me sad to think of parents doing all the work for their kids instead giving the kids the skills and knowledge themselves. Mine certainly didn't....if I needed to, they brought me to the public library and had me ask the librarian. Dh said his mom did the same thing.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  15. #8205
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    I confess I have a brand new work laptop! The special ed department got some new ones, and after all my computer malfunction imp issues, they put me first on the list for one of them!
    Oh that excellent! I remember you were having a LOT of computer issues. Makes it hard these days to get any work done without a computer.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  16. #8206
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I'm a librarian and I teach one section of marine science. I fully expect my students to use the library and have taken them on field trips to use our local University library. Our next trip is March 24th!
    How old are your students? For some reason I was thinking you were at a grade school.....

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  17. #8207
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I confess that I love the Norwegian curling team's pants:

    Those are pretty awesome! My DH loves to watch curling.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  18. #8208
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    19,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    How old are your students? For some reason I was thinking you were at a grade school.....
    PreK-Grade 12. I take my 11th and 12th grade marine science students.





  19. #8209
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,681

    Default

    Lydia,
    I'm going to reply here because well this is just a nicer room. I have the book 1.2.3 Magic and have read it with DH when we were still thinking we were going to get pg and I wanted us down on our style before baby came and issues arrived. I got this one after seeing it in our library and hearing some really great things about it from my patrons.

    I really like this book and the concept makes a lot of sense to me logically. I like the way it is written. And I think that this pretty much the system that both my mom used and DH's mom used without realizing it.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  20. Default

    I confess I find it hilarious that all these actors you really don't think of for children's shows are doing cartoons on Nick Jr, etc....

    Jack Black, Wilmer Valderrama, and I just found out this morning that Fred Savage is the voice of Oswald!

  21. #8211

    Default

    No way! Who does Jack Black voice? And I never knew that about Oswald. I did know the voice of Handy Manny though. Kristen Davis (Charlotte) from Sex and the City does a voice on Miss Spider's Sunny Patch!

  22. Default

    Jack Black is Special Agent Oso

  23. #8213

    Default

    Oh wow I never knew that. I'm bad at recognizing voices!

  24. #8214

    Default

    I confess that I've never posted a new thread for fear of what a reply may contain, and that people may have poor reflections of me in the future.

  25. #8215
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    20,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by momof2beautifulgirls View Post
    I confess that I've never posted a new thread for fear of what a reply may contain, and that people may have poor reflections of me in the future.
    Eh, they get over it.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;


  26. #8216
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by momof2beautifulgirls View Post
    I confess that I've never posted a new thread for fear of what a reply may contain, and that people may have poor reflections of me in the future.
    Well chances are someone isn't going to like it but others will. Can't please everyone all the time.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  27. #8217
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Lydia,
    I'm going to reply here because well this is just a nicer room. I have the book 1.2.3 Magic and have read it with DH when we were still thinking we were going to get pg and I wanted us down on our style before baby came and issues arrived. I got this one after seeing it in our library and hearing some really great things about it from my patrons.

    I really like this book and the concept makes a lot of sense to me logically. I like the way it is written. And I think that this pretty much the system that both my mom used and DH's mom used without realizing it.
    Thank you. This room is a little safer, isn't it? I'm about halfway through it, and can't decide how I feel about the book/concept as a whole, but I have been agreeing with some things wholeheartedly. I like how they talk about decreasing emotion/talking and just doing action-->consequences. DH and I are guilty of trying to reason too much with them sometimes, and this is a good reminder that they really are not capable of that greater understanding yet and it is better to not get distracted by too much talking when you're trying to set up expectations. But some of the examples they give make me a little sad, and then I wonder if I'm reading the right book.

    -------------------

    Welcome, momof2beautifulgirls! Feel free to post here as much as you want. Way back when, I lurked for about four months before I dared my first post, and even then I didn't venture out of August Due Dates for a long time because the big forum was too scary for me. I tried to catch on to the tone and mores before I started talking more. Even then, I got my head bitten off big-time with one of my early posts, but it was someone who would later become a good friend both online and even in person. I prefer taking the no-waves and informational approach, but other people do well with posting shocking and/or controversial things as long as you keep in mind that this is essentially a support forum and it's not acceptable to attack anyone personally. Still, you'll eventually ruffle someone's feathers if you keep posting, and just try to remember that these are all just online people. You don't know them--you may know their on-screen personas, but even those may not reflect who they are. And whatever the case, they shouldn't be able to affect your real life.


  28. #8218
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,510

    Default

    Jenny, I'm so impressed with your benefits! I hope the nurse works out well and the rest of you stay pox-free so you can work through this busy time.


  29. #8219
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Thank you. This room is a little safer, isn't it? I'm about halfway through it, and can't decide how I feel about the book/concept as a whole, but I have been agreeing with some things wholeheartedly. I like how they talk about decreasing emotion/talking and just doing action-->consequences. DH and I are guilty of trying to reason too much with them sometimes, and this is a good reminder that they really are not capable of that greater understanding yet and it is better to not get distracted by too much talking when you're trying to set up expectations. But some of the examples they give make me a little sad, and then I wonder if I'm reading the right book.


    .
    Oh yeah if had posted there, I would get the whole, you don't have kids therefore you can't have any thoughts or opinions or knowledge thing. People here are much nicer.

    I too liked the whole taking emotions out of it. It just made sense to me, let kids know what is expected, give them a chance to correct behavior, be consistent.
    I like reasoning with kids...but age is a huge factor there. And sometimes because I said so is ok.
    It's been two years since DH and I read it together so I don't recall the examples much.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  30. #8220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post

    -------------------

    Welcome, momof2beautifulgirls! Feel free to post here as much as you want. Way back when, I lurked for about four months before I dared my first post, and even then I didn't venture out of August Due Dates for a long time because the big forum was too scary for me. I tried to catch on to the tone and mores before I started talking more. Even then, I got my head bitten off big-time with one of my early posts, but it was someone who would later become a good friend both online and even in person. I prefer taking the no-waves and informational approach, but other people do well with posting shocking and/or controversial things as long as you keep in mind that this is essentially a support forum and it's not acceptable to attack anyone personally. Still, you'll eventually ruffle someone's feathers if you keep posting, and just try to remember that these are all just online people. You don't know them--you may know their on-screen personas, but even those may not reflect who they are. And whatever the case, they shouldn't be able to affect your real life.

    Thanks. I'm trying to keep that in mind, but sometimes it's difficult not to take things personally. I've been reading alot, and the one other post I replied to (and prompted me to join after happily reading for several months), well... that was just a bad situation all together, and I don't want to go there again, so I'm trying to stay to myself, just read posts and replies while looking around for similar things that I'm dealing with in my own life. I really appreciate your kind words.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •