Page 272 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 172 222 262270271272273274 282 322 372 772 1272 ... LastLast
Results 8,131 to 8,160 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Anyone else watching the opening ceremony for the Olympics? Good job Canada!
    I was thinking Canada Fail, at a few points at least. (I can say that, but will probably become defensive when other people do ). Like when the olympic torch almost didn't come up at the end? We were feeling a bit nervous up here, I tell you.
    Norah! (3 yr)

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    I was thinking Canada Fail, at a few points at least. (I can say that, but will probably become defensive when other people do ). Like when the olympic torch almost didn't come up at the end? We were feeling a bit nervous up here, I tell you.
    The haven't lit the torch yet on my broadcast! You're spoiling it! You say it DID light?
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Well ok there was that. But that was about it. I liked it better than the China ones two years ago...and you guys spent like 1/10 of the money!

Was a little surprised to not see Celine Dion.

but yeah I enjoyed it.

Now I just need to get some money and time to come up and visit Canada!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    The haven't lit the torch yet on my broadcast! You're spoiling it! You say it DID light?
    I'm sorry, I didn't know you guys were behind! Don't worry.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It was good. I think when you give someone a crazy budget and say "Outdo whatever crazy stuff they did last time" you are going to get a strange show, but overall I liked it. I think part of my problem with it is that they stage it for a stadium but then the stupid camera guys get close ups of the performers so it loses a lot of it's cohesiveness and story. The part that I'm still having trouble with was the hayseed tapdancers/riverdancers/fiddlers with fiery jets on their feet. But hey, Canada is big enough to contain everyone right? And I LOVED the slam poet - he said everything that they were trying to say visually. And it was perfect that he wasn't pretty or famous or even good looking. Just a regular guy/poet talking about Canada and how cool it is. After he talked about what made Canada different was Please and Thank You, my husband and I were yelling out "Please and Thank You, motherhuggers!!!" (but the last word was different) in our best slam poet voices. Go Canada!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

That's funny. I actually enjoyed the dancing fiddlers in a strange way and didn't really "get" the slam poet. I guess if they were trying to find something for everyone they succeeded!

Okay, waiting for the torch right now ... boy, do they all look awkward standing there trying to look like there isn't a malfunction!

I don't even know who's broadcasting the winter olympics here; I've not seen anything advertised about it.

Janeen, those photos are cool!

Lydia, thanks for the link; I do use nymbler quite a bit, but I just never seem to be inspired with their suggestions. With the ones I do like, my DH is usually like 'no, I don't like that.'

He already looks so cute and chubby Janeen!

I missed the Olympics opening...I'm sure I can youtube the highlights later LOL
    I used to be such a huge fan of Sarah McLachlan, so I wish I'd seen her carrying the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I missed the Olympics opening...I'm sure I can youtube the highlights later LOL
    I used to be such a huge fan of Sarah McLachlan, so I wish I'd seen her carrying the torch.
    She sang at one part and it was really beautiful. I used to be a big fan of hers but haven't listened to her recently.

I confess I am so entirely annoyed at dbf right now that I'm considering driving 40 minutes to meet my brother for drinks tonight after I put the kids to bed and then just driving back home and being home before they wake up in the morning just so I don't have to hang out with him tonight.
    He's been remodeling our room since last weekend and taking his sweet arse time about it, going snowmobiling and such with the same "friends" that don't show up to help him put up the drywall or install the window. Meanwhile, all of our bedroom furniture and clothing is dispersed between the living room and Kai's room. Just total disarray. So today I take both kids with me grocery shopping, and to the farm to pick up our milk, and to the resale shop to get Savana some shirts. Now you all know that doing all of this alone a with both kids is WORK. Anyway, I come home and I'm carrying a back breaking heavy crate of milk into the house and notice that him and his friend are not working. I ask for help carrying stuff in. They take all the milk to the downstairs fridge and dbf comes upstairs and says, "I knocked over a cup with juice and it's all over the fridge" (I save the frozen berry juice for smoothies)
    I ask him if he cleaned it up and he has the audacity to say to me (while laughing an incredulous laugh), "Yeah, like I'm not working my arse off her all day that I time for that."
    So I get really pissed off. I tell him that if I spill something I clean it up. I don't come to him and tell him there is a mess to clean up. That he needs to go do it.
    His friend says to me, "Hey, easy killer."
    I wanted to explode. I really, really did.
    Last edited by Bridget; 02-13-2010 at 05:59 PM.

She sang at one part and it was really beautiful. I used to be a big fan of hers but haven't listened to her recently.
    Same here! She was a huge part of my identity when I was in college. I went to a ton of concerts, used to be late for class if one of her videos was on...I idolized her. LOL I still think she is an amazing person, but her music is a bit more commercial now and not as interesting, I think.

Bridget, leave the guy already. Please. I'll do it if you do it. LOL

I really hate his friends Bridget. I just had a wave of rage at that idiot who said that. Like, get out of MY HOUSE. I would have LOST it. (I am in the middle of a major PMS attack, but still).
    Norah! (3 yr)

I really hate his friends Bridget. I just had a wave of rage at that idiot who said that. Like, get out of MY HOUSE. I would have LOST it. (I am in the middle of a major PMS attack, but still).
    Ya, I know. You guys would have been jaw to the floor if you would have heard how many times I used the whisper mother- f word in reference to that little exchange a few minutes ago when the kids were in the other room.
    And like a cherry on the sundae from hell as his friend was leaving, I was back in the car with the kids because we were taking them to a winter festival and he took his two pointer fingers to the corners of his mouth in a gesture that was supposed to be telling me to smile.
    If looks could kill he'd have been laid out in the driveway...or if feet could slip off the brake..

I would've bashed his head into the wall! OMG.

So was my sister....I liked her a lot but my sister gets VERY into particular music. We saw her in about 1998 at Lilith Fair.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget,

Happy Valentine's Day. I loved your "nosy" story, and your spilled juice story made me sad. I think fully half of your dbf's problem might be the people he hangs out with. Either that, or he talks smack about you and half his friends' problems might be due to your dbf. In any case, I wish you could both find some friends that are fun to be around but also really supportive of relationships in general and yours in particular.

And it makes me crazy when people urge me to smile when I have no inclination to do so. I even get annoyed at the homeless guys holding up signs at the freeway onramps that say "Smile--it won't cost you anything." I have this inner war every time I see one of those, because I HATE smiling just because someone else thinks I ought to, but on the other hand these guys are really down on their luck and could use a little dose of feeling like they're having pleasant social contact with another human. And then I feel manipulated, and even more annoyed. I usually don't smile. I never feel inclined to be charitable when they hold signs saying "God Bless" either. On the other hand, I do admire the funny signs, like "Family kidnapped by ninjas--need ransom money."

Wow, that was quite the digression.

I was thinking the same thing - that he was just showing off in front of his friends. I'm glad you weren't nice to the guy later, and I don't see any reason at all you would welcome him back either. Forgive me if I am overstepping, but he seems immature. I hope he figures out what it really important soon.

I hate when people tell me to smile. I feel like it's only because I am a woman that I get told that. So if I am a woman, I am breaking societal rules by not smiling? Whatevs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Bridget,

Happy Valentine's Day. I loved your "nosy" story, and your spilled juice story made me sad. I think fully half of your dbf's problem might be the people he hangs out with. Either that, or he talks smack about you and half his friends' problems might be due to your dbf. In any case, I wish you could both find some friends that are fun to be around but also really supportive of relationships in general and yours in particular.

And it makes me crazy when people urge me to smile when I have no inclination to do so. I even get annoyed at the homeless guys holding up signs at the freeway onramps that say "Smile--it won't cost you anything." I have this inner war every time I see one of those, because I HATE smiling just because someone else thinks I ought to, but on the other hand these guys are really down on their luck and could use a little dose of feeling like they're having pleasant social contact with another human. And then I feel manipulated, and even more annoyed. I usually don't smile. I never feel inclined to be charitable when they hold signs saying "God Bless" either. On the other hand, I do admire the funny signs, like "Family kidnapped by ninjas--need ransom money."

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

gah!!! I hate being the first post on a page.

22. Default

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    I hate when people tell me to smile. I feel like it's only because I am a woman that I get told that. So if I am a woman, I am breaking societal rules by not smiling? Whatevs.
    I hate it too!!! I hate it even more when people say "You'd be so much prettier if you'd smile..." Makes me wanna jab a pen in their eye

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Bridget,

Thanks!
    I am on your boat of not being able to stand when people tell me to smile. I was a bartender and cocktail waitress for years and drunk men told me to smile on a nightly basis. I used to always say, "If you want someone to smile, do something to make them happy. You can't demand happiness."
    I think when I have my face in what, to me, is a neutral expression, my lips naturally curve downward and people think I'm sad or angry. I get asked, "what's wrong?" a lot when I feel totally happy.
    I'm personally think a perma-grin is slightly creepy.
    And yes, dbf's friends in this town are generally disrespectful of their wives and girlfriends. I don't know what's in the water here but I do think this town is "off".
    One of my daycare moms who just lost her job here and is moving back to Colorado where she was before she accepted the job here told me on Friday that she felt like she really tried to like the people she worked with but that they just gave off an air of being small minded and bigoted. So true. And why? I've been to lovely small towns in the rural midwest so I know it's not a common factor of small towns in general.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing - that he was just showing off in front of his friends. I'm glad you weren't nice to the guy later, and I don't see any reason at all you would welcome him back either. Forgive me if I am overstepping, but he seems immature. I hope he figures out what it really important soon.

He is immature. We're working on it. And he'd have not said that about the juice if his friend wasn't here. He is never more rude to me as when they are around and I call him out on it every time. Hello, you are not a 13 year old boy.

Oh, AND I ended up driving to Madison last night after I put the kids to bed. I called my best friend before I left and her and her husband just happened to be in Madison on their valentines day date so she came to the pub where my brother and I were. Yay. I love her so much. She's my grown-up breath of fresh air.
    But my brother got really, really drunk and I had to push him into a cab quite early. That was annoying. I only had 2 drinks so I slept at his house for 2 hours and then drove home at 2am so I could be here when Savana and Kai woke up.
    I just hate to miss morning snuggles.

26. Default

I confess we watched The Invention Of Lying last night... It was HILARIOUS, and I had no idea there was going to be so many jabs at religion!!

I love Ricky Gervais; I can't wait to see that (on DVD!)

28. Default

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    I love Ricky Gervais; I can't wait to see that (on DVD!)
    Yeah.. I can't remember the last time I went to the theater...

Oh wait.. I went to the drive in in Kansas City... in june or something? lol...

anyways... I get a discount on rentals at work, so I rented the DVD since Couples Retreat was all rented out!

Happy birthday willowspy and Lydia!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Happy birthday willowspy and Lydia!
    Thank you! I had no idea Ms. Spy and I shared a birthday, so happy b-day to all of the Valentine's babies.

And Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!