Page 266 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1662162562642652662672682763163667661266 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,980 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    I think he would still appreciate a birthday cake - he probably would pretend not to see it in the cart! Go ahead and sneak it through.
    Yeah, he'd "believe" me when I tell him I just wanna bake a cake to test out my new icing bags and tips. I probably should. He's excited for his birthday as much as he is dreading it. Turning 30 and already asking if he should get the senior discount at iHOP hehe
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

30 is big - you definitely have to do something!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Lydia, you've been missed! I agree, embrace being a post-ho and make the rest of us happy!

Addysonreese, go ahead and bake the cake.

On another note, I confess my uncle just died tonight. He was 80 and has been in the hospital since Christmas Eve. We still aren't clear on exactly what went on but in the end he had a C. Diff infection and turned septic. It hasn't fully sunk in yet for me and I'm dreading when it does.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    On another note, I confess my uncle just died tonight. He was 80 and has been in the hospital since Christmas Eve. We still aren't clear on exactly what went on but in the end he had a C. Diff infection and turned septic. It hasn't fully sunk in yet for me and I'm dreading when it does.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    OTOH, I didn't really think you guys would notice I hadn't been posting much, and you did!
    I noticed! Wondered what was going on, especially since the last big news from you was unpleasant work stuff. I was hoping that everything was okay.

Oh Mandy I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mandy, I am so sorry for your loss. I had C. diff after my first C-Section and my OB told me he'd seen young healthy patients die from it.

A.R., you should def. bake your husband a cake. Or cupcakes. Yum! Can you look through the couch cushions to see if there is enough change to go buy supplies? My dh would notice for sure if there was a cake mix in the cart, despite the fact that we split up in the store with two carts and fill them both. He just has an eye for those things. Same way I notice if he sneaks a pack of TicTacs onto the belt.

I threw my dh a surprise party for his 30th. He is normally antisocial, but he was so excited and thrilled. We managed to keep it a total secret, and I even got his long-distance girlfriend to come up for it. (We were just housemates at the time, not dating or married.) He was so shocked when he walked in the room, and then he saw his girlfriend and looked worried, so I whispered to him that I cleaned his room while he was out so he didn't need to be embarrassed about her seeing its messy state. I think that was the best thing I've ever done for his birthday.

This year, dh turned 37 and I made him some brownies and told him he could take an extra 5 days in India next month. That's it.

When I turned 30 I went to Vegas with some guy friends. I managed to NOT wake up on my 30th birthday hungover and regretting casual sex. Thank goodness. I learned to ride a motorcycle that month. I try to do new things on or around my birthday every year so I'm distracted and interested and not thinking about getting older. I haven't thought about anything for this year (my birthday's on Valentine's Day), but I'm probably going to cop out and say having another baby is new and different enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero
    Lydia, you've been missed! I agree, embrace being a post-ho and make the rest of us happy!
    Aw, you all certainly make me feel like I'm a valued member of this little group. I honestly wasn't trying to be dramatic or anything. I was just worried about how much I was posting. But you're right, I should just give in and accept it.

Sometimes I tell myself to just STFU. I look back on some posts and think "who the heck cares?" But I gotta keep on being me, so I usually post whatever comes to mind.

I did a surprise for DHs 30th too! We have just moved across state a few months before and while he was at work, I cleaned, decorated and made food. I had his mom come up from Chicago, my parents drove in from about as far, and our friends came over from about 90 minutes away. He came home from work (it was his 2nd day and burned himself so he wasn't in a good mood) and surprise! Poor thing looked like a deer in headlights. Once he ran upstairs and got in a shower (factory work so he was dirty), he was really happy and touched. I think that the was pretty much the first time he had a birthday party just for himself (his grandpa is also a Jan. baby so often the family got together and celebrated both of them together).

Most of the time for our birthdays we just go out to dinner or have dinner at home...birthday person picks...and we get cards for each other. haven't really done presents since first dating.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't even remember what I did for my 30th or what I did for DH's. I didn't think it would be a big deal for me, but it kind of ended up being a big crisis for me. Now I'm almost 31, yikes.

I'm not looking forward to 30.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

I just passed 40. I don't feel too bad.

A.R., you should def. bake your husband a cake. Or cupcakes. Yum! Can you look through the couch cushions to see if there is enough change to go buy supplies? My dh would notice for sure if there was a cake mix in the cart, despite the fact that we split up in the store with two carts and fill them both. He just has an eye for those things. Same way I notice if he sneaks a pack of TicTacs onto the belt.

I threw my dh a surprise party for his 30th. He is normally antisocial, but he was so excited and thrilled. We managed to keep it a total secret, and I even got his long-distance girlfriend to come up for it. (We were just housemates at the time, not dating or married.) He was so shocked when he walked in the room, and then he saw his girlfriend and looked worried, so I whispered to him that I cleaned his room while he was out so he didn't need to be embarrassed about her seeing its messy state. I think that was the best thing I've ever done for his birthday.

This year, dh turned 37 and I made him some brownies and told him he could take an extra 5 days in India next month. That's it.

When I turned 30 I went to Vegas with some guy friends. I managed to NOT wake up on my 30th birthday hungover and regretting casual sex. Thank goodness. I learned to ride a motorcycle that month. I try to do new things on or around my birthday every year so I'm distracted and interested and not thinking about getting older. I haven't thought about anything for this year (my birthday's on Valentine's Day), but I'm probably going to cop out and say having another baby is new and different enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I did a surprise for DHs 30th too! We have just moved across state a few months before and while he was at work, I cleaned, decorated and made food. I had his mom come up from Chicago, my parents drove in from about as far, and our friends came over from about 90 minutes away. He came home from work (it was his 2nd day and burned himself so he wasn't in a good mood) and surprise! Poor thing looked like a deer in headlights. Once he ran upstairs and got in a shower (factory work so he was dirty), he was really happy and touched. I think that the was pretty much the first time he had a birthday party just for himself (his grandpa is also a Jan. baby so often the family got together and celebrated both of them together).

Most of the time for our birthdays we just go out to dinner or have dinner at home...birthday person picks...and we get cards for each other. haven't really done presents since first dating.
    Those are some awesome surprises! You ladies have better ideas than I do, hehe.

Lydia, we have NO coins in our cushions! I've looked. I've almost tore up the house looking for money. I actually broke down and told him I wanted to get him a cake. I confess, I'm HORRIBLE about keeping surprises quiet! I think what I might try to do is add upon the cake. Instead of it just being a normal one layer cake, I would just add on with the stuff I have at home. I'm brainstorming on ideas.

Mandy, I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Thanks for the hugs, everyone. Like I said, it hasn't sunk in yet but I did get a little teary-eyed typing it out.

Reading about DH's 30th birthday is making me feel old! I just realized DH was 32 when we met, and it's been 11 years now! DH hates his birthday as he has had more than one family member die on that date (including his father being murdered) and now with my uncle just passing, DH's birthday is next week. He swears the date is bad luck. He made a comment about my uncle dying right before his birthday just confirming how evil it is. I feel so bad for him, hating his birthday. I never really know how to celebrate it.

Wow, I'm really sorry to be so negative tonight.

My 30th birthday I was 2 days from having Savana. I felt like hell. We were staying in a rented house with my parents in Hawaii and dbf invited a bunch of his friends over for "my birthday" but I was totally wiped out and huge and starting contractions so I really didn't have fun. But I had Savana 2 days later so my 30th birthday was really significant.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My dh hates having birthdays, too, but he hasn't had anything traumatic happen, besides just getting one step closer to being old and dying. Mandy, your poor dh!

I'm turning 40 in 9 days. I'm trying hard not to think about it or look in the mirror too closely.

My dh hates having birthdays, too, but he hasn't had anything traumatic happen, besides just getting one step closer to being old and dying. Mandy, your poor dh!
    I know.

I'm turning 40 in 9 days. I'm trying hard not to think about it or look in the mirror too closely.
    Not happy thinking that I'll be turning 37 this fall. I was honestly fine with birthdays up through 35 but now I'm not caring much for the idea. I don't think it would bother me as much if I had kids but I worry about the risks now.

I think I need to go to bed ... I really am negative tonight. Sorry, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    I know.

Not happy thinking that I'll be turning 37 this fall. I was honestly fine with birthdays up through 35 but now I'm not caring much for the idea. I don't think it would bother me as much if I had kids but I worry about the risks now.

I think I need to go to bed ... I really am negative tonight. Sorry, guys.
    No need to apologize - sometimes that's just how you feel.

19. Default

I confess the more I think about it, the more I wonder if moving back to Wyoming was the right choice. I mean - I know it was a good thing. Getting away from B, getting a job, and going back to school... but when I think about it, I realize I really could have done that all there in MO.... and then wouldnt have to deal with the whole moving back issue when I am certified....

I confess I am also kinda bummed I never got to attend the UU church I found in KC before I left. It is on my list of things to do when I go back though.

I confess my one guy friend from KC (that is NOT friends with B) revealed to me the other day that he was quite upset I left. awwwwww

I confess it felt good to be hit on after nearly 3 years of a passionless marriage...

ETA -- and I confess me wondering if I made the right choice by moving has nothing to do with my guy friends confession...

I think "milestone" birthdays are often kind of tough.

Don't slap me, but I found 27 kind of difficult. It's not that I mind getting older, it's just that I'm nowhere near where I thought I'd be in terms of career & education. I feel like I should have achieved so much more than I have.

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I think "milestone" birthdays are often kind of tough.

Don't slap me, but I found 27 kind of difficult. It's not that I mind getting older, it's just that I'm nowhere near where I thought I'd be in terms of career & education. I feel like I should have achieved so much more than I have.
    I feel the same at 23. Bahumbug.

26 sucked. I totally felt "closer to thirty."
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Oh wah wah wah. Nothing compares to actually hitting 30.

I agree with MammaMia.

I have definitely been more bothered by birthdays when I wasn't happy with my current life situation. It's a time to evaluate where I've been in the past year and where I'm going, and if I'm not happy with either of those the birthday tends to be difficult. That's one of the reasons I've always tried out something new on my birthdays. One year it was scuba diving, another it was snowboarding, another year it was motorcycling, and still another year it was just going to the gym a lot and getting into shape. I moved to California around my birthday one year. Yes, milestones are tough, but not nearly so much as having had a bad year or questioning my future direction.

I never think about my age like that. Not yet anyway. I'm 34 and don't feel it at all.

I haven't started to view birthdays as gross yet. I'm pretty happy with what I've accomplished so far in life, so I guess that has something to do with it.

I confess that as much as I like my job, I applied for a job as a medical librarian as a top-rated children's hospital (rated #4 nationally) in my area. It's a long shot, but the environment that I'm currently in is quite conservative and I'm starting to really have to bite my tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I confess that as much as I like my job, I applied for a job as a medical librarian as a top-rated children's hospital (rated #4 nationally) in my area. It's a long shot, but the environment that I'm currently in is quite conservative and I'm starting to really have to bite my tongue.
    Oooh! Good luck! Not much controversy in medical libraries. The only negative would be working with patients...because it would be parents of sick kids (and sick kids always get to me. It's bad enough hearing trauma teams being called but I feel so sad when it's a peds trauma team).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    I never think about my age like that. Not yet anyway. I'm 34 and don't feel it at all.
    I agree. I am always happy to still be here but I always look on the bright side. I have a grandmother who died when she was 35 and I never got to meet her. A lot of people in my family think that I look more like her than anyone else so I am happy for every year. Plus I am of the opinion that we get better as we get older and that age is just a number. I'll be 31 in April and am looking forward to it. I do treat my birthday like New Years though and set goals according to what I want to accomplish until my next birthday, which usually aren't much. Last year I decided to work out at least 3 days a week for 3 months and it jump started me into working out 5-6 days a week since then. I always try to pick something simple and attainable that I might stick with. One year I gave up white bread. Another I gave up white rice, all only for 3 months but they all stick. I figure by the time I'm 80 that I'll have a bunch of good habits lol.

Erin

I confess that I'm invited to go to a pub quiz Wednesday evening, and I'm sooo excited about it. I know that may sound silly, but I haven't been out to a bar since Mia was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I agree. I am always happy to still be here but I always look on the bright side. I have a grandmother who died when she was 35 and I never got to meet her. A lot of people in my family think that I look more like her than anyone else so I am happy for every year. Plus I am of the opinion that we get better as we get older and that age is just a number. I'll be 31 in April and am looking forward to it. I do treat my birthday like New Years though and set goals according to what I want to accomplish until my next birthday, which usually aren't much. Last year I decided to work out at least 3 days a week for 3 months and it jump started me into working out 5-6 days a week since then. I always try to pick something simple and attainable that I might stick with. One year I gave up white bread. Another I gave up white rice, all only for 3 months but they all stick. I figure by the time I'm 80 that I'll have a bunch of good habits lol.

Erin
    You have a great attitude.