Page 256 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 156 206 246254255256257258 266 306 356 756 1256 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,680 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I really love Savana stories. She's so funny.

Lydia, your siggy is really sweet.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    What class is Ashley?

And yeah, meth can be smoked, snorted or shot up.
    Its Phlebotomy.

and I forgot - I ALSO have to take CPR before Feb 15th. It would be REALLY nice if this was listed as a prerequisite for the course instead of having to try and work all this crap around my work schedule!

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    I really love Savana stories. She's so funny.

Lydia, your siggy is really sweet.
    I agree... On both parts!

I confess I started a low fat diet. I tweak it a little bit, but it's still a lot better than how I used to eat. I'm pretty much following the Alli diet I asked about a while back, but I'm not taking the pills yet. I'm not going to obsess over the weight, but judge it by how I look and if my clothes feel/look different. I think it's less discouraging if I don't set any real goals, but just try to change the diet.

I confess I'm still really annoyed after my severe storm adventure the other night. DH went off for his weekend with the nat'l guard and took both sets of keys with him. I found a spare car key, but no house key. So I feel like I'm trapped here for the weekend.

I'm also feeling unnecessarily competitive for absolutely no good reason, and I don't like that about myself. It's just silly.

Bridget, that story about Savana is adorable!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

5. Default

I confess Last night we tried to go to a place here in town that has "All you can eat" Catfish on Friday nights, but they were closed for remodeling or something... so we went to a steakhouse right next to it.

I was kinda concerned about taking the girls to this place because its a bit nicer, and everytime we have gone Audri has been the only person in there under 12 years old...

Of course the people at the table next to us were talking to some friends they saw there - how they are taking a cruise to Tahiti for Valentines day, and how they have one daughter living in Vegas that they go see, and one who's an attorney in New York, etc... Making it OBVIOUS they have money.

I was getting really uncomfortable having two babies there.. Expecting one of them to start throwing a fit at any moment... I breathed a sigh of relief when the couple next to us got up to leave, but got nervous when the lady approached our table...

She walked up and said "I just HAVE to comment on this little darling's behavior!" (talking about Audrianna) "I wouldn't have even known she was here, except she's so adorable! She's so well behaved!"

That TOTALLY made my night!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

That's awesome, Ashley! I have had 100% bad experiences with my children at steakhouses, the two times we have gone for our anniversary. Last year Ronin threw up on the table because he gagged on a lime wedge (he loves lime!). The year before we were at a really nice place and thought they'd be young and sleepy enough to be quiet, but they needed to be bounced and tickled and talked to the whole time, and there was no changing table in the bathroom. The only thing that made it better was an older couple sitting next to us who told us they had twins and totally understood, and encouraged us. It IS really nice to get compliments and encouragement from random strangers, and such a relief when things go better than expected.

And thanks for the comments about my siggy. It has been a crazy, cooped-up, rainy week and I about tore my hair out over that craft when Claire threw all the paper pieces on the floor more than once and Ronin tried to glue the wall. Still there were moments of peace and I like the end results.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I confess that I'm scared I won't be able to enjoy a dinner out or traveling for at least five years.

Josh used to be great in restaurants. I think there were two phases, 1 when he used to just sleep through it and another before he could speak or really throw tantrums, where he'd be entertained for hours by a fork. Now we don't go out to eat unless my inlaws are with us. They will eat dinner fast and go outside with Josh until DH and I are done. It's nice. Sometimes for lunch I will go early somewhere really casual with him like a sub shop where it will be quiet and he can run around. You just kinda have to figure out what works.
    But yeah, fine dining is out, which I don't really miss because DH doesn't like those places anyway. LOL

My kids are wackily well behaved at restaurants. They love going out to eat. We don't go go fine dining places very often but when we have they've been awesome.
    I confess that as we speak, dbf is annoying me so much. He ordered the Jetsons Movie from netflix "for the kids". But Savana doesn't want to watch it. She wants to choose something else. Dbf is annoyed but I knew she wouldn't want to watch it. It's just not her type of movie. She likes whimsical/magical/animal movies. He just said to me, "Just put it on. I want to watch it. It's not even her movie night. It's a special treat for her to watch a movie on a saturday so she should just appreciate whatever we put on."

Aww. Well I think she's a little young to just appreciate something she doesn't even like. We have tried a few different movies from Netflix for Josh but he hasn't liked many of them either.

shutterbird Guest

I'm jealous of all of the well-behaved kiddos. I have a little spitfire. Then again, she doesn't get out much.

I confess I'm a little peeved at one of my "friends". She's preggo and her baby shower is next month. In response to one of her status updates on FB, I asked how she was doing and if I could get her address to ship her a present (she's back in MD). She e-mailed me literally 30 seconds later with her address, but didn't respond to my "how are you" blah blah blah's or inquire as to how I'm doing. I haven't talked to her via phone/person in over a year, but figured I'd send her a little something since we were close in school. But MAN, the GIMME GIMME GIMME that was coming off of that e-mail was too obvious.

12. Default

I hate that Kim!! I have a friend that sent out a notice on myspace or FB, dont remember which, but it was to tell people that they were having a baby shower for #2, but didn't want to leave out everyone in AK since they moved... then went on to list what they wanted, and where they were registered. Then at the end said - message me back if you want our address to send something!

Yeah.. like that wasn't obvious!

I have to jump to people's defense here...I am so, I dunno what you'd call it, obsessive? I tend to answer questions people haven't asked yet, just so the person doesn't have to bother to ask. If I were sending out an invitation to a party I'd go through every question the person might have. What do I bring, what do I wear, what would the host want for a gift, etc.

So in these people's defense I hope they are not gift happy but a little bit compulsive (is that the right word?) like me. LOL

My mom got on my case about it with Josh's last party when I sent out 'save the date' e mails and included all the info like what Josh liked to play with at the time, etc. She said it sounded like I just wanted presents when really I was just trying to pre-empt any questions people would ask.

I think I agree that the whole invite even though I know you can't come but here is where I'm registered is tacky. It happened to me quite a few times in Hawaii. It is just asking for a gift, I feel.

Oooh, sorry, I missed the part where they were sending registry info to people who weren't even coming to the wedding. LOL

Get this. When I lived in Hawaii I got invites to every one of my brother's kids' birthday parties and sent gift accordingly and never even knew if they got them because it was never acknowledged. Now that I live on the mainland and could actually attend, we don't get invites. How's THAT for tacky?
    (FYI- his wife can't stand me)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    I'm jealous of all of the well-behaved kiddos. I have a little spitfire. Then again, she doesn't get out much.
    Kim, don't feel badly about it. I have a little spitfire too, and they get out all the time. That has nothing to do with it. I'm pretty sure it's mainly genetic, and it's our job to teach them impulse control, temper management, etc. It is just harder for some kids than others, because they're starting out from a not-so-calm baseline.

I was just looking at another local APA mom's facebook, and she was talking about going out to dinner at a nice restaurant nearby with her son and dh. I responded about how the menu looked fabulous, and I hadn't been anyplace without a kids' menu in so long. She matter-of-factly said she gives her son (same age as mine) a coloring book and he just sits there and colors the whole time. It makes me a little jealous but also it seems completely foreign to me. I can't even imagine it.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Get this. When I lived in Hawaii I got invites to every one of my brother's kids' birthday parties and sent gift accordingly and never even knew if they got them because it was never acknowledged. Now that I live on the mainland and could actually attend, we don't get invites. How's THAT for tacky?

Tacky, yes. Probably better that you're not even offered the choice of going.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Tacky, yes. Probably better that you're not even offered the choice of going.
    Probably. Though I do love the kids.
    And I should probably clarify that my kids do not sit quietly and color when we go out to eat. I suppose sometimes they get a little loud and don't exhibit the very best manners but they do stay in their chairs and stay happy which to me equals success.
    The threat of having to leave always snaps them back if they start to get too wild.
    It's probably because the type of food we get when we go out to eat, we never have at home. Mainly french fries, dinner rolls and saltine crackers. My kids are on that bread bowl like white on rice.

shutterbird Guest

Probably. Though I do love the kids.
    And I should probably clarify that my kids do not sit quietly and color when we go out to eat. I suppose sometimes they get a little loud and don't exhibit the very best manners but they do stay in their chairs and stay happy which to me equals success.
    The threat of having to leave always snaps them back if they start to get too wild.
    It's probably because the type of food we get when we go out to eat, we never have at home. Mainly french fries, dinner rolls and saltine crackers. My kids are on that bread bowl like white on rice.
    The thing with Lore is that she just won't sit in the chair. She constantly needs to be switched from beside me to DH. She'll color for a bit, but then go about picking at the stuff on the walls. The last few times we've gone out, she did fairly well, but they did give us really fast service.

But, no way would I take her to a fancy restaurant! Only kid-friendly's for us!

Now that you mention it....I think this happened to me too.

Josh is a lot like Lorelai, Kim. He can't sit still. He'll color for a minute, sit next to me, crawl under the table to sit next to DH, rinse, repeat.

We actually just braved going out to lunch today. We're trying to keep them occupied and busy because they slept in late enough that we need to skip naps. We went to Barneys, which was actually full of parents with kids at lunch time. They did pretty well, aside from a few squabbles over the crayons and paper. I had to take them to the bathroom a total of 3 times before the food came. And dh was embarrassed about ds proclaiming quite loudly in the middle of the restaurant "I going poopoo right now!" He wasn't, but it was just the shouting of it that made dh cringe. I pointed out that everyone else there had kids, so they probably wouldn't be disturbed by it.

We went out to dinner with the inlaws. Josh was great, he ate like a little piggy.
    Also I tried a different, bigger UU church today. It was great! I'll write more about that later--it's bath time.

So yeah, church! I have been talking to someone from the UU church a couple towns over via e mail for a few days. Finally I decided to stop by. I'd been there before for a playgroup a couple years ago, but not for the church service. I took Josh to the nursery. Even for his age and younger, they have a curriculum. The teacher said she was going to read books about listening. They also had a sand table and a ton of toys. I think Josh played with the sand the whole time.

I went down to the service and it was great. There were about 100 people there which is great. At the church I'd been to before, there were maybe 20 people, and mostly all elderly. This church has a lot of young families. The director of religious education (DRE) is really nice. I get the newsletter via e mail and there are a couple things I already want to attend. And it's really not even farther away than the church I was going to. So yay!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    So yeah, church! I have been talking to someone from the UU church a couple towns over via e mail for a few days. Finally I decided to stop by. I'd been there before for a playgroup a couple years ago, but not for the church service. I took Josh to the nursery. Even for his age and younger, they have a curriculum. The teacher said she was going to read books about listening. They also had a sand table and a ton of toys. I think Josh played with the sand the whole time.

I went down to the service and it was great. There were about 100 people there which is great. At the church I'd been to before, there were maybe 20 people, and mostly all elderly. This church has a lot of young families. The director of religious education (DRE) is really nice. I get the newsletter via e mail and there are a couple things I already want to attend. And it's really not even farther away than the church I was going to. So yay!
    It sounds like you'll really enjoy it.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Kate, that sounds awesome. Is the childcare free there? Is that a stupid question? It must be.
    I confess that dbf's money making venture has him glued to computer every moment of the time we are home on the weekend. I know it's necessary for him to make money but it also means that I have to do everything all day just like I do all week.
    So it looks like I don't get a weekend. I've decided we have to have a serious talk about his household duties during the week. If I had the amount of time in our home that he has child-free, it would be SPOTLESS.

Yep it's free! I think it's just moms who belong to the church who volunteer to watch and teach the kids, as opposed to someone they hire. Now the actual religion classes when they hit school age, I don't know if you pay for that. But I don't think so.

Hi!

I confess I had family visiting this weekend and wasn't online. It was a movie weekend! My FIL is a member of SAG and gets sent free movies so he can vote for the Oscars. My MIL brought some up so we saw Up in the Air (liked it), Precious (great acting, didn't like it), An Education (foreign movie was kind of boring). We also went out and saw Avatar in 3D....we all really liked it. Though I was told I was reading too much into it when I started talking about all the messages. And I gave myself a headache from the crying.
    It was a great weekend of visiting with family and eating and watching movies. I hated to see it end.

And now today I have a sore throat and am tired and it's snowing. Boo.

I also confess that there might be a slight chance I might get a baby in April. My mom has a brother she hasn't talked to in 31 years but my aunt has stayed in contact. Anyway his stepson (so my step cousin) is in his mid 30's (uncle married his mom when T was only like 4-5) and due to a brain injury can't really hold down a job or anything. He got a 20 yr pg and she doesn't seem to want the baby and was talking about just giving it to foster care in April. My stepcousin doesn't want his baby either. My aunt is licensed for foster care and adopted my two little cousins that way. Anyway my mom is going to try to find out more details and talk to my aunt. So who knows...I figure it's a slim chance but if it's meant to be, it will be.

My always said she has a feeling we would get a baby after we got our house and sunk most of our money into it. We did just close on the construction loan last week. Going to start digging in March and we are planning to move in June.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ooh good luck!
    I'd like to hear what messages you were reading into at Avatar.