Page 255 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1552052452532542552562572653053557551255 ... LastLast
Results 7,621 to 7,650 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    I'm sorry it has been rough so far. Are donkey balls big?
    Hahahahaha

Ok, so the country club is not answering the phone--they may be closed or on fewer hours for the winter--and the other catering company is not hiring
    DH just wants me to get a job anywhere that will take me, cooking or not. And I know I probably should.

What kind of resume do I make for a place that is not cooking, when all my past experience is cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    I just have to say that dysphagia drove me crazy with imagined symptoms. I think I aspirate about 3-5x/week, particularly with liquids, which terrified me at the time. Now I just ignore it.
    I haven't done that with dysphagia but I have found myself knowing too much and thinking I had things or worrying about things or finding stuff wrong with my family.
    I made the mistake of looking up too much stuff about the HSG and I chickened out of having one done.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post

I confess I've been distracted because I've been singled out by a powerful doctor in our department, who is really vindictive and hostile, for bringing up a patient care issue. I just wrote more about it but ended up deleting it because I'm nervous.
    I'm sorry. But you were probably right to not go into too many details on a message board. Do you have anywhere to go with this like a customer service or quality department? Or maybe even powerful doc's boss?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    I'm sorry it has been rough so far. Are donkey balls big?
    Big and hairy.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    What kind of resume do I make for a place that is not cooking, when all my past experience is cooking?
    Focus on broader job duties like:
    organization
    time mangagement
    ability to work by yourself
    ability to coordinate with a team

I just updated my resume after working with our HR dept and that was something she suggested for me. When you have job duties specific to one kind of job, generalize what you can to a more basic skill (unless you are applying for another similar job, and then specifics are much better).

Example: I worked at a traffic coordinator for a trucking company prior to my current postiion. What I had was:
    Secured trucks for 250 invoices and purchase orders per week, using 150 truckload and less-than-truckload carriers, including the rating and faxing of each order to the carrier. Maintained daily communications via email and phone with 14 plants and 25 customer service representatives located throughout U.S. Created Excel reports to track progress and accounting of purchase orders, carrier service failures, and historical cost analyses. Trained temporary and new employees in office procedures and use of equipment and software, including AS400, Lotus Notes, and Microsoft Word and Excel. Served as supervisor over staff of 4 traffic coordinators when needed, approximately 4 weeks per year.
    this was changed to a bullet pointed list (as she said it makes it MUCH easier for a recruiter and hiring manager to read).

Maintained daily communications with customer service representatives nationwide.
    Processed 250 invoices and purchase orders per week.
    Ensured contract rate program was accurate and up to date.
    Managed purchase order accounting, carrier claims, and cost analyses.
    Trained temporary and new employees in office procedures and use of equipment and software.
    Supervised staff of four full time coordinators approximately one month per year.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Thanks sunrider. Why is 2010 sucking for you lately?

The country club just called me back, said they are not hiring now but that they may be around March/April. Do you guys think I should fill out an app. now, or closer to that time? I'm thinking closer, so my app. is not shuffled to the back in a couple months...

6. Default

How was work, Ashley?
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Oh, Lydia! That does sound frightful. I'm so sorry!
    Ashley, how was your first day? I always had such anxiety when I started new jobs.
    I was doing computer based training all day. 4 courses with 7-8 modules each.... It took almost 8 hours and the room was tiny. Good thing Im not claustrophobic!

I start on the floor tomorrow morning. and my first class is tonight..

I have more anxiety about class than I do about work....

The country club just called me back, said they are not hiring now but that they may be around March/April. Do you guys think I should fill out an app. now, or closer to that time? I'm thinking closer, so my app. is not shuffled to the back in a couple months...
    Fill one out now, then call them to follow up in March and if you haven't heard then call in April again as well. Shows enthusiasm and interest in the company.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Good luck Ashley!
    Thanks katycat

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I'm sorry. But you were probably right to not go into too many details on a message board. Do you have anywhere to go with this like a customer service or quality department? Or maybe even powerful doc's boss?
    I've been told by my manager in the past when he threatened me that it would do no good to complain because he brings in a lot of money for the institution. I used to write (supposedly anonymous) incident reports about him, up until about 6 years ago, until he got me in a dark room and told me he knew it was me. Turns out everyone else was too scared to write any. Anyway, I just feel sick about the whole thing, for my sake and for the whole process in general.

Last night dh put his hands briefly on my belly and said "He feels defiant" and walked off to brush his teeth. I cracked up, because I knew he didn't feel anything right then, and how can you feel defiance in a fetus? Can you anthropomorphize someone who is already human?

Lydia, I don't even know what to say to that. It sounds like a terrible situation - scary and intimidating. I hope that there is some way to resolve it.

And this is the funniest thing ever

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Last night dh put his hands briefly on my belly and said "He feels defiant" and walked off to brush his teeth.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Lydia, your DH sounds so funny. And I don't even know what to say about what is happening at work. That is just crazy and wrong that you have to tolerate that. Unbelievable.
    My day is SO much better today. I talked to the parent whose daughter kept asking me if I was happy after I had to raise my voice to Savana. I wanted to let her know what happened in case her daughter wanted to talk about it. She's only 2 so may not have been able to communicate it clearly. The mom was so nice. She told me she hoped I had a nice stiff drink waiting for me when I got finished for the day. Not quite, but I did have a glass of merlot.
    I also spoke to Savana about her behavior. I asked her to think of a time when screaming and yelling made something good happen. She was really thinking hard and said, "Maybe never." I asked her what happens when she does that and she said, "I lose stuff I like to do and I make you mad." I told her that yelling at her is a really, really terrible feeling for me and that I don't want to have hard days at school. So.....today she's being great. I know it sunk in but I am sure she will need lots of reminding.
    Thanks for hugs and stuff yesterday.
    I have to go to the library tonight and I'm already hoping the evil librarian is not there.

Bridget, Savana sounds so smart. I can't wait until I can rationalize stuff like that with Josh. LOL

My job has been eliminated and I'm stressing over being unemployed. I put in an app Tuesday for a position under the reorganization of my dept. The recruiter has been holding on to it for 48 hours now and not passed it on to the hiring manager. I haven't interviewed in 6.5 years and NEVER before interviewed with someone I know. The woman who will interview me, and become my boss, is someone I've known for about 6 years now - someone I've been to conferences with and had drinks with. For me anyway, that puts a twist on the interviewing for a job concept.

Our BoA credit cards have progressed from in house collections, to Redline Recovery, and now to a law firm for litigation. The fracking lawyers keep calling me at work. And in a complicated twist of things, which I'm still kicking myself and about, I GAVE them my cell phone number. I've never been sued before. This is terrifying.

And our "two year" wait has not even started yet as I've been procrastinating and have not done the quit-claim deeds on two houses and property. So it's not like I can just say "well sue me" and file bankruptcy right away. It has to drag out for 2 years before we can even start that stuff.

We're not paying credit cards any longer and still living paycheck to paycheck (with not credit card in emergencies for luxuries like food and gasoline).

The dog has been sick enough to have antibiotics. The husband had an anxiety attack which resulted in a trip to the ER to make sure it wasn't a heart attack. My insomnia is back with a vengeance, likely because of the scare of being without a job and knowing I'm going to be sued by 3 different banks in the near and questionable future. Husband is sleeping away from us Friday night this week as part of a sleep study to rule out apnea, so he can then be put on anti-anxiety meds. I truly do not think he has apnea (as supported by the aforementioned insomnia on my part and the fact that I can listen to him breathe evenly up to 4 hours at a stretch), but it's still a what-if fear. Husband is doing fantastically at managing his diabetes (just diagnosed in Oct) and has been losing weight steadily, really without even trying. I think I'm catching it, as I'm gaining weight steadily and am noticing my pants are getting a bit tighter. At this rate we'll soon pass the 300 pound mark together, but going in opposite directions.

I just want to hide in a hole, crying, and make it all go away.

ETA: Oh, and I got yelled at yesterday by my boss - in front of everyone in the office. I'm still pissed at her for that. She has not said a word to me about it yet.
    And sorry for the venting. I guess I needed it.
    Last edited by sunrider; 01-21-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Sorry sunrider. Vent away.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

You are right--your 2010 sucks. I hope it only goes up from here, and that making the list didn't make you feel worse.

(And if you really get desperate, I know a place in Tijuana that will give you a nice paycheck if you really can put on a show with the donkey balls. In fact, if you just move to Mexico a lot of your troubles will go away.)

ETA: I'm sorry--I misread it and thought it was you with the donkey accessories, not 2010. Ooooops. (Hangs head in abject apology)
    Last edited by 3andMe; 01-21-2010 at 03:09 PM.

All I can picture when I read about the donkey balls is the donkey show from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

I confess I had to go to Phoenix today for a training. There are 3 teams and one of them did not come because of a severe storm in the state. The second team left early. The rest of us were sitting there ... 5 team members and SIX employees of the state Dept of Education which is supposedly broke ... and the coordinator told us our highway was much safer so we had to stay.

Going back we drove through an enormous dust cloud that limited our visibility to about 5 feet in front of the car combined with winds close to 100 mph. We saw a billboard that had been blown down along the highway. Then traffic came to a standstill and after half an hour I called my DH to research what was happening. He said the highway was closed due to a series of accidents that had occurred. We left at 3:30 and I got home at 7:00 ... we only drove 120 miles. DH greeted me with the news that the governor had declared a state of emergency in our state. Oh, and DH as a member of the National Guard may be deployed to Flagstaff this weekend to deal with the aftermath of the storm there, which at 7000 feet is expected to be blizzard conditions.

Then checked my email to read a response from my professor father about working on my PhD. I had explained to him that by working in my PhD I would earn more than I am making currently. He responded that it would be a bad idea because we didn't make enough money because my DH refuses to look for work.

Then the delivery company we had ordered sandwiches from called to say they were out of bread, and would I like something else? I just about ripped the poor girl's head off.

My 2010 may not yet suck donkey balls, but today is certainly doing its fair share!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Okay, just to make my day more delightful, I told DH as soon as I got home that I was not going back out. I would be eating at home.

We have nothing here that would take less than an hour to cook, so he suggested the sandwiches which are apparently not an option due to lack of bread.

So I told him again that I was not going out. He was welcome to pick me up something from any drive through, but I'm not leaving the house. I am described as "silly." He WILL NOT go through a drive through without me there, although if he is watching a football game he is perfectly willing to ask me to go get him something.

After he called me silly I told him once again I was not leaving, and he just now slunk out the door to McDonalds. WTF?
    Last edited by Gwenn; 01-21-2010 at 09:59 PM.

LOL Mandy.

It reminds me of my husband. I have to write down everything I want if I'm not with him even if I've ordered it 5,000 times before. Even if I'm sitting next to him in the car, he has to chant my order over and over as we're driving up or he'll screw it up--even if it's just a #3 with a Coke, for instance. Men! LOL

LOL! I actually write that type of thing down, too ... I just don't trust myself to remember the right number!

21. Default

I confess I am home from my first day in the cafe! It was fun, but LONG! and I missed Audrianna going potty on her potty chair for the first time!!! and the second! She's done it TWICE today!!!!

I confess I am PISSED about my class. I shared a while ago that my ONE class is costing me nearly $2000!! Well we had our first meeting last night. She handed out the syllabus and come to find out, I have to provide my own disposable gloves... and pay for a drug test out of pocket!! WTF?!

I dont understand why we have to have a drug test in the first place... I didn't need one for this same class when I took it in Alaska... Maybe its because we have access to needles, and meth is such a big problem around here... (Do you even inject meth? I thought you smoked it??)

I confess I was quite happy to find out though that this is not JUST the class, it is the class and the clinicals at the same time, so by the end of the semester I will be nationally certified. Oh yea... and I get to buy scrubs since they are required for my clinicals! (I have been looking forward to buying scrubs for like 3 years! lol)

Awesome Ashley I can hear the excitement in your post.
    I don't know anything about meth...LOL

Yay Ashley!
    Yes, I believe meth is smoked but maybe there are multiple ways to take it. It was really big in Hawaii. Scary stuff. I saw one guy turn into a totally different person. He was a normal, good looking, meatheadish-gym going guy and by the time I left Hawaii he was missing teeth and to speak to him was totally confusing and sad. He made no sense.
    I confess that last night I read Savana the Ruby Bridges story and it was tough to answer her questions. Personally, I feel it's a bit heavy for her but she saw the book on the back of one of her other books and asked me over and over if we could get it. When we walked into the library she started asking right away.
    I just hate even telling her about racism. I'd rather she had no idea that people even thought that way. She kept asking me throughout the story why those people were being mean to the little girl and where her friends were. It sucked. I was holding back tears. Savana's little face just looked totally mortified.
    The other difficult questions came with the fact that Ruby was always talking about her faith in God and how every day when she had to walk through the crowd she prayed to God. Savana was asking me every page what praying was. Here is what I said, "Praying is when you sit very quietly and you think about all of the things you are happy about and all of the things you'd like to say thank you for; like having a warm bed to sleep in and a family that loves you, etc. You also think about how you can be a kind person and help other people."
    Then we get to her praying for the mean people. More questions. I said that she was thinking and hoping those people would learn to be kind and she hoped good things for them even though they were so mean to her."
    Goodness I wish she'd slow down. I haven't quite figured out how to answer all these questions.

Wow Bridget. I didn't recognize the story by name but I looked on wiki. What a big girl to ask so many questions and try to understand. I think you did a good job with the questions.

What class is Ashley?

And yeah, meth can be smoked, snorted or shot up.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Yay Ashley!
    Yes, I believe meth is smoked but maybe there are multiple ways to take it. It was really big in Hawaii. Scary stuff. I saw one guy turn into a totally different person. He was a normal, good looking, meatheadish-gym going guy and by the time I left Hawaii he was missing teeth and to speak to him was totally confusing and sad. He made no sense.
    I confess that last night I read Savana the Ruby Bridges story and it was tough to answer her questions. Personally, I feel it's a bit heavy for her but she saw the book on the back of one of her other books and asked me over and over if we could get it. When we walked into the library she started asking right away.
    I just hate even telling her about racism. I'd rather she had no idea that people even thought that way. She kept asking me throughout the story why those people were being mean to the little girl and where her friends were. It sucked. I was holding back tears. Savana's little face just looked totally mortified.
    The other difficult questions came with the fact that Ruby was always talking about her faith in God and how every day when she had to walk through the crowd she prayed to God. Savana was asking me every page what praying was. Here is what I said, "Praying is when you sit very quietly and you think about all of the things you are happy about and all of the things you'd like to say thank you for; like having a warm bed to sleep in and a family that loves you, etc. You also think about how you can be a kind person and help other people."
    Then we get to her praying for the mean people. More questions. I said that she was thinking and hoping those people would learn to be kind and she hoped good things for them even though they were so mean to her."
    Goodness I wish she'd slow down. I haven't quite figured out how to answer all these questions.
    You did a great job answering all those questions!!! Kuddos to you!

I read that book to Ky and he asked about it too. Plus we saw a movie about Ruby Bridges when he was younger and he is really sensitive and was so upset about how mean people were to her. He asked me if people are still mean to kids like that and I had to think about that one since I guess some people are, but I told him most people aren't and that some just think that others should be treated badly because of the way they look. He recently read a short novel by Mildred Taylor called Friendship and he was talking about that book for a while too and asking a bunch of questions about it. It is pretty racially charged and set in the 40s or 50s I think. You gave a great answer to the praying question though. I may have to steal that response for Elle when she's older!

Erin

Thanks, Erin. Yeah, Savana was asking me why they were mean to her and I said because her skin was brown and theirs was peach and they thought that made them better than her. She was like "WHAT?!" Then when I was trying to explain segregation to her she said, "Oh, well in our school we don't have any brown people. All the kids in our school have skin like me."
    I told her that's only because hardly any brown people live in our town but that anyone can come to our school as long as they are a kid. That's the only thing they need to be. Now she's going around talking on and on about how she wishes we have brown people in Beaver Dam. ( It's a really white-catholic-redneck-ish town.)
    One day I took her to the Children't Museum in Madison. We got there just as the doors were opening so we were the only ones there and she kept asking me when more kids were going to come. Well we heard some people come in and Savana peeked out of the room we were in to see and she yelled, "Mom! There's more kids here and they're BROWN! YAAAAAAY!!!!!"
    I peeked out of the room and gave a sheepish wave to the dad who was there with his 3 daughters and he was shaking with laughter.

LOL Savana!

What a fine girl that Savana is! I have just started talking to my kids about skin color, dark and light brown and pink and tan skin, but I've been talking about it in the context of different eye colors and hair types, etc. They're used to seeing all kinds of skin colors, and hearing all kinds of languages, at the playground. I think it's helpful they've been to Mexico, too. They know that there are places where all the people speak a different language, and that they're capable of learning it.