Page 254 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 154 204 244252253254255256 264 304 354 754 1254 ... LastLast
Results 7,591 to 7,620 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Thanks!

I confess that I got a performance review today at work. I was pretty darn nervous about it. I really feel like I have been slacking lately due to lack of motivation and just not wanting to be there. Also with the new paperwork that rolled out on 1/1, it has slowed down the whole process for me. I'm the only one that does my job and it should really be a full time job, especially with the new paperwork, but I cram all that I can into my part time hours. Some weeks I do great and others it feels like I will NEVER catch up.

I got "far exceeds expectations" (the highest grade) on every single category and she wrote the best comments about me in each category too. I also got a raise and she BEGGED me to pleeeeeeeeeeease come back after the baby is born.

I left work today feeling pretty darn good.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    ....and just now got an email from my mom that my dad had 6 spots sent in for biopsy this morning. He's had every type of skin cancer for the past ten years. He's been okay now for awhile and we were hoping it was over.
    I F&*%ING HATE CANCER. It terrifies me.
    I'm sorry. You've had a lot of heavy things to hit you in the past few months.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

That's awesome Janeen!

Aww Bridget, what a horrible day! I hope your dad is ok. I'm sure that's the last thing you want to be worrying about right now.

WTG Janeen!!

I confess I had a long chat with my coworker today about doing a PhD. She is a PhD student and is trying to convince me to do it, too. I told DH about it and he really wants me to do it. If I can get a stipend to go to school and earn some money working part time I would actually make more than I am earning now so in that way it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately it means sending an email to the Department Head who intimidates the heck out of me and I'm sure has forgotten me and asking her if she would be willing to be my supervisor if I apply. And then finding academic references when I've been out of school for four years, and getting all of that done and packet submitted before Feb 1st. I'm totally intimidated and not even sure this is what I want to do but I feel like I should at least explore the possibility. Eek!

Any of you ladies who are studying for or have a PhD, if you have any advice about what to say to the Department Head please let me know!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    I confess I had a long chat with my coworker today about doing a PhD. She is a PhD student and is trying to convince me to do it, too. I told DH about it and he really wants me to do it. If I can get a stipend to go to school and earn some money working part time I would actually make more than I am earning now so in that way it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately it means sending an email to the Department Head who intimidates the heck out of me and I'm sure has forgotten me and asking her if she would be willing to be my supervisor if I apply. And then finding academic references when I've been out of school for four years, and getting all of that done and packet submitted before Feb 1st. I'm totally intimidated and not even sure this is what I want to do but I feel like I should at least explore the possibility. Eek!

Any of you ladies who are studying for or have a PhD, if you have any advice about what to say to the Department Head please let me know!
    DON'T DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT! Okay, just kidding, but also, not kidding. Then again, you're not doing astrophysics and might have more options when you finish rather than less. Sorry - my current bitterness is invading my reply.

It actually sounds like a good idea. I would talk more to your friend who will know important details about the politics in the department. I find that sort of thing will have a huge influence over how to approach profs and who exactly to talk to.

I think in your case being out of school for a while is probably fine, admissions-wise. You've been working in the field so that can only help. I would put together at least part of your application (especially any essays if there are any) before you talk to the dept head. She might want to look at that before giving you an answer, so it would be nice to be prepared.

Bridget - I'm so sorry. What a sh!tty end to a crappy day.

And Janeen - AWESOME! That has to feel good!
    Norah! (3 yr)

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    DON'T DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT! Okay, just kidding, but also, not kidding. Then again, you're not doing astrophysics and might have more options when you finish rather than less. Sorry - my current bitterness is invading my reply.

It actually sounds like a good idea. I would talk more to your friend who will know important details about the politics in the department. I find that sort of thing will have a huge influence over how to approach profs and who exactly to talk to.

I think in your case being out of school for a while is probably fine, admissions-wise. You've been working in the field so that can only help. I would put together at least part of your application (especially any essays if there are any) before you talk to the dept head. She might want to look at that before giving you an answer, so it would be nice to be prepared.
    I should have known that would be the answer! My dad was actually a professor at the university here and the stories he's told me about students trying to finish their dissertations/oral exams are probably the biggest reason I haven't done this before! Also the stories of the university politics, although he doesn't know anything about this department.

Career-wise, well it's mostly just the prestige factor. If I stay in my current job having a PhD will entitle me to a whopping $2000 extra per year. And I already have all the certification I need to work in any environment other than a university. So basically if I do this I'm pretty much guaranteed to work in academia at some level. On the other hand, there is a PhD shortage in my field ... not many people are willing to do it for the reasons I just stated ... so the faculty will really bend over backwards if they find a willing sucker (I mean student).

I had a chat with my friend already about the dynamics of who is best to approach and really this one professor is the one I need to work with. She's brilliant, but has a memory like a sieve and never remembers anyone. My friend said not to worry about it, just talk to her, but I agree with you I should be prepared.

DH likes the country club idea and he also mentioned another place nearby that does catering. I thought he'd shoot it down for one reason or another but he seems happy with it. He did say I should call first though so someone will be ready to meet with me to give me the application, take my resume, hire me on the spot, or whatever. ;) I should have listened to you Bridget

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    DH likes the country club idea and he also mentioned another place nearby that does catering. I thought he'd shoot it down for one reason or another but he seems happy with it. He did say I should call first though so someone will be ready to meet with me to give me the application, take my resume, hire me on the spot, or whatever. ;) I should have listened to you Bridget

Thanks Mandy now I just have to get hired

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I should have known that would be the answer! My dad was actually a professor at the university here and the stories he's told me about students trying to finish their dissertations/oral exams are probably the biggest reason I haven't done this before! Also the stories of the university politics, although he doesn't know anything about this department.

Career-wise, well it's mostly just the prestige factor. If I stay in my current job having a PhD will entitle me to a whopping $2000 extra per year. And I already have all the certification I need to work in any environment other than a university. So basically if I do this I'm pretty much guaranteed to work in academia at some level. On the other hand, there is a PhD shortage in my field ... not many people are willing to do it for the reasons I just stated ... so the faculty will really bend over backwards if they find a willing sucker (I mean student).

I had a chat with my friend already about the dynamics of who is best to approach and really this one professor is the one I need to work with. She's brilliant, but has a memory like a sieve and never remembers anyone. My friend said not to worry about it, just talk to her, but I agree with you I should be prepared.
    dangit. I thought you were going to tell me you were pregnant.

Yeah, I dunno. I am not doing a Master's thesis because I *know* I don't want a PhD. Mike would kill me, I'd have to go another 3 years and we couldn't handle it. However, I think it'd be more than prestige. . . working as a researcher would be no fun. . .but clinical faculty training students (like me?) THAT I'd be into. But you wouldn't necessarily need a PhD to GET that job. . .it's not a bad idea and certainly can't hurt. . I just know it's nothing I'm interested in doing. ..at least not now or in the next 18-23 years
    Kate, mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob (10/8/10)

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    dangit. I thought you were going to tell me you were pregnant.

Yeah, I dunno. I am not doing a Master's thesis because I *know* I don't want a PhD. Mike would kill me, I'd have to go another 3 years and we couldn't handle it. However, I think it'd be more than prestige. . . working as a researcher would be no fun. . .but clinical faculty training students (like me?) THAT I'd be into. But you wouldn't necessarily need a PhD to GET that job. . .it's not a bad idea and certainly can't hurt. . I just know it's nothing I'm interested in doing. ..at least not now or in the next 18-23 years
    Well, I'm sorry to get your hopes up! I'll keep you posted but it's not looking good for this month. I don't think the timing was right.

And yeah, you don't NEED a PhD for a clinical faculty position (thought it helps). I'd totally be up for that, though ... sitting back and letting my students do all the work for me! Sweet! (Although remembering how stressed out my supervisors always were it probably isn't all that great of a job. Scheduling is probably the least enjoyable part of what I do and they did a ton of that).

I told my friend today I'm tired of thinking up ideas for tx and I just want a job where I can evaluate all day. That's why she thinks I should be a researcher. I have to say she does have a point.

I confess I shaved my armpits today.
    I also confess I didn't want to put up with the chin hair I've developed and shaved my chin and 'moustache'. The last time I waxed them, I broke out in hives and had an allergic reaction and the tweezers just weren't cutting it.

I also confess I think I need to see a gastroenterologist. I'm having problems with food sticking, I have been having to puke up what I'd just eaten because it got stuck. AND it's below the anatomy I know well, and not related to my swallow so I can't help myself (lol) Grrrrrr....

I just have to say that dysphagia drove me crazy with imagined symptoms. I think I aspirate about 3-5x/week, particularly with liquids, which terrified me at the time. Now I just ignore it.

I confess I have to be up at 5:30 tomorrow to drive to Phoenix and spend the day in the company my psycho crazy ex principal, then drive back home and work as scheduled on Friday. That's 300 miles of driving tomorrow in addition to the full day training and the crazy. Why am I still on APA and not in bed or at least in the shower?

I just have to say that dysphagia drove me crazy with imagined symptoms. I think I aspirate about 3-5x/week, particularly with liquids, which terrified me at the time. Now I just ignore it.
    LOL. Yeah. Me too. Except I'm really not imagining this. When it gets stuck. . .nothing will clear it out. I have to puke. It used to be just once in awhile, but now this happens like once a week.

Hmm...perhaps you should refer yourself to a GI. That doesn't sound good.

By the way, how is your eye?

Yeah, It's funny, I remember before the dysphagia class that I was like, "hmm, I wonder if I'll find out why stuff gets "stuck". This was last spring. I then discovered that the area on me is below what we treat and I was like," oh well, I'm eating too fast". And it's just gotten worse. Stupid anatomy.

The eye is a lot better. It's working much better with the right eye and looks fairly normal now. . .I have a f/u next week with my ophthalmologist. Hopefully she doesn't think I need surgery again, but it's not *quite* where I think it should be. . . I'll try and take pics here in a second. . .

To ask a really dumb question since you mentioned a GI, it's sticking in your esophagus?

yeah, pretty sure. near the top.

Ick. Can't help you.

Off to bed now. Wish me luck with the crazy tomorrow. Really not looking forward to it.

No worries! good luck tomorrow and good night!

25. Default

Seriously!? Its been SO dead in here lately.. I go in to my first day of work and come home to TWO pages of new stuff?!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Luna, sounds like you need an EGD. Mid-esophageal strictures are frequently benign Schatzki's Rings and most can be resolved for a long time with a simple dilation during the sedated procedure. You don't want to get anything stuck in there for any length of time, or have an episode where you can't clear it.

I confess I've been distracted because I've been singled out by a powerful doctor in our department, who is really vindictive and hostile, for bringing up a patient care issue. I just wrote more about it but ended up deleting it because I'm nervous.

How was work, Ashley?

Oh, Lydia! That does sound frightful. I'm so sorry!
    Ashley, how was your first day? I always had such anxiety when I started new jobs.

I confess I mostly skimmed the last 3 pages. Sorry I haven't been in here more. 2010 sucks donkey balls so far, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    I also confess I think I need to see a gastroenterologist. I'm having problems with food sticking, I have been having to puke up what I'd just eaten because it got stuck. AND it's below the anatomy I know well, and not related to my swallow so I can't help myself (lol) Grrrrrr....
    I dealt with what we referred to as "elephants" for close to 20 years. Saw 3-4 different doctors for it, and they used me as a guinea pig for meds - some with icky side effects. An upper GI found squat. Nothing worked and I learned to deal with it.

Sometimes when swallowing it felt like it would stick in a lump halfway down. Created a pressure on my chest like an elephant was sitting there, hence our term for it. Episodes last anywhere from a few seconds up to 5-6 hours. I hyper-salivate when it happens, and can't swallow anything, so there's a lot of spitting. Sometimes there is horking. It usually resolves itself with a ginormous burp or sometimes with the horking, but not always. I've just sort of learned to live with it and avoid/minimize things that tend to trigger it (steak and highly carbonated drinks).

Liam was a few months old and I had a cold. Not being able to take much while BF, I decided to try the eating raw garlic thing. Smashed a clove into smaller pieces and swallowed the bits like you would a pill. Bit #2 caused an elephant. I was up all night dealing with it - more than 12 hours. In the morning DH took me to the hospital. Ended up being referred to for an outpatient procedure where they scoped me to take some pictures.

Eosinophilic esophagitis. After 19 years I finally know it's real name. Seriously pissed off that the docs more than a decade ago never bothered to scope me. The good news - there's an easy treatment (6 weeks of a steroid? nasal spray down the throat). Bad news - none of the sprays used for treatment are breastmilk compatible. It's not life-threatening, just annoying and inconvenient, so I opted to wait until we wean. Of course at the time I didn't know how much I would learn to love BF and now play to go till 2 years and play it by ear after that.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I confess I mostly skimmed the last 3 pages. Sorry I haven't been in here more. 2010 sucks donkey balls so far, seriously.
    I'm sorry it has been rough so far. Are donkey balls big?
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;