Page 253 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1532032432512522532542552633033537531253 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,590 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I also think that it really helps to look at a job as a job. It's a way to make money. I am lucky in that I do like my job but it is NOT my passion in life...it's a way to make money and help people. I think that most people if given the choice would rather being doing something else instead of going to work (be it sleeping in, being with your kids, doing volunteer work, going to school, traveling).
    You know, this made me think. For me, my job IS a passion in life. All the same, given the chance I'd rather sleep in!

Adding something I thought of after I made my other post, I have a good friend (and mentor) who has been working in my field for 30 years and has more continuing education hours just in the treatment of autism than hours spent working towards her master's. She told me last year that she still feels like she doesn't know enough about the subject. It helps me to know she feels that way, too.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    You know, this made me think. For me, my job IS a passion in life. All the same, given the chance I'd rather sleep in!

Adding something I thought of after I made my other post, I have a good friend (and mentor) who has been working in my field for 30 years and has more continuing education hours just in the treatment of autism than hours spent working towards her master's. She told me last year that she still feels like she doesn't know enough about the subject. It helps me to know she feels that way, too.
    This is one thing that concerns me with going into the nursing field.

It's going to be working and constant education all of the time.

I really really hope I can handle it.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

I guess what mainly bothers me is that I know more than I appear to know. I clam up and make stupid mistakes on the job. If I could just learn to think things through I'd be able to demonstrate what I know.
    And I really want what Mandy has--a job I am passionate about--but I'm not sure what exactly I'm passionate about yet!

I LOVE sleeping in.

I really enjoy certain things in my job, like when I do find those perfect articles for our staff. Or even better is when I help a patient find consumer health info and they are so happy to have it.

But I think that my passion in life is probably my dog. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Well I guess if the rest of my life were great, maybe I wouldn't mind spending 8 hours a day in a place I would rather not be in. But I have to at least kind of like it or I will not last.
    You got to start somewhere though and you never know where things will lead (I will warn that I'm an optimist and DH often comments on my "cheerleading" as he calls it).

I got done with college and wanted a cool job. I didn't know what I wanted to do for sure. I graduated with honors, was on student gov, held offices in various college groups...I thought I was a good catch. Course my degree wasn't the most useful.
    I got married and we were pretty broke. I really was starting to feel a bit down and DH was not going to let me just sit at home and do nothing. It has been almost a year since I was done with school and I had basically sat at my parents and applied for jobs. It was easier to get a job, any job than have DH be crabby with me.

So I started working part-time at Cousins subs. With high schoolers. I felt that job was beneath me and I was not happy about being there (it would have been ok during college but NOT what I expected to be doing after I had my degree in hand).
    But it really wasn't that awful once I got pride out of the way. It did get me out of the house, it did make DH happier, it did help with the money issues. but most of all, I kept my eyes open while working. Once you have a job, you are more desirable to other jobs. And less than six months later I started library school and had found a job as a library assistant in a hospital. I had planned to be a children's librarian....but life had other plans for me and I fell in love with hospital librarianship. Previous to applying for that job, i didn't even know hospitals had libraries.

Honestly I would say the best thing you could do is lower expectations about a job and just try one out. If you don't find it fitting, fine just do it until you find something else. And always remember that just finding out what you do NOT like is just as helpful as finding out what you do like. You truly do not ever know what you might fall into and end up really liking.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

You got to start somewhere though and you never know where things will lead (I will warn that I'm an optimist and DH often comments on my "cheerleading" as he calls it).

I got done with college and wanted a cool job. I didn't know what I wanted to do for sure. I graduated with honors, was on student gov, held offices in various college groups...I thought I was a good catch. Course my degree wasn't the most useful.
    I got married and we were pretty broke. I really was starting to feel a bit down and DH was not going to let me just sit at home and do nothing. It has been almost a year since I was done with school and I had basically sat at my parents and applied for jobs. It was easier to get a job, any job than have DH be crabby with me.

So I started working part-time at Cousins subs. With high schoolers. I felt that job was beneath me and I was not happy about being there (it would have been ok during college but NOT what I expected to be doing after I had my degree in hand).
    But it really wasn't that awful once I got pride out of the way. It did get me out of the house, it did make DH happier, it did help with the money issues. but most of all, I kept my eyes open while working. Once you have a job, you are more desirable to other jobs. And less than six months later I started library school and had found a job as a library assistant in a hospital. I had planned to be a children's librarian....but life had other plans for me and I fell in love with hospital librarianship. Previous to applying for that job, i didn't even know hospitals had libraries.

Honestly I would say the best thing you could do is lower expectations about a job and just try one out. If you don't find it fitting, fine just do it until you find something else. And always remember that just finding out what you do NOT like is just as helpful as finding out what you do like. You truly do not ever know what you might fall into and end up really liking.
    Great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Great advice.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post

You know, it's not as bad as it sounds. You just take it as it comes and it isn't as overwhelming as it looks like from the start.

Kate, I think for you it's just the pacing. If you had a job where you could cook but the time limit wasn't forcing you to work so quickly I think you'd love it. What about catering?

For me my job wasn't my first choice. I would really have rather gone into linguistics, but I wanted something practical so I went into speech therapy and it ended up being the perfect career for me. Sometimes you just have to get creative about your interests and keep trying until you find what works.

Sort of off the topic, but I just had a moment today with one of my kids who is 8 and doesn't talk much. He loves maps and today he asked (in writing) to play "google maps." So I assumed he wanted the computer, but no, he got out the white board and proceeded to draw a road. Then he put the marker in my hand (my left hand because I'm left-handed and he's watched me switch hands when he puts it in my right, and I'm the only person he'll hand a marker left-handed) and told me "Tucson!"

So I drew a pretty line and he erased it and said, "No! Tucson!"

I gave him back the marker and said "[Name] draw Tucson!"

So he did! Or at least our freeway.

I wonder every day if I'm really up to the task of helping this child, but the experience is just so enriching I keep at it.

Kate, I think for you it's just the pacing. If you had a job where you could cook but the time limit wasn't forcing you to work so quickly I think you'd love it. What about catering?
    I was thinking about institutional cooking, like at a hospital, nursing home or school. You would probably have to work quickly, but it would be in a more controlled environment.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    I was thinking about institutional cooking, like at a hospital, nursing home or school. You would probably have to work quickly, but it would be in a more controlled environment.
    Good point ... in that type of kitchen you would have your menu for the day in advance and there would be no surprises. That might really work for you.

I really enjoyed working in the hospital cafeteria when I was in my late teens/early 20's. I think that it probably was a lot more controlled than working in a restaurant might be.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah...
    I mean one comment I did get when I worked at my last job really stuck with me. It was an upscale place, you know when you see pictures of beautiful food and you look at a menu and it's all very fancy, you don't even know what half the things listed are. That was the place I worked at. I loved the concept. Local, sustainable food, cutting edge techniques and presentations, etc. But when I was overwhelmed I was a mess. I did things nobody who knew anything about cooking should do. But when I gave my two weeks notice (long story), my boss said "When we are slow and you can really concentrate on your work, you are spot on." And that really flattered me. He went on to say when we get busy I get overwhelmed.
    I wish I could do the fancy food, show off what I can do and what I know but not feel so rushed and unsure of what would be coming up next. What can I do?

The hospital near me is always hiring for the cafeteria. I guess I could do that until I find something that's more what I'm looking for.

Thank you so much you guys for taking the time to give me advice. I know I've been very needy lately. I really appreciate it. I hope I'll be over this soon.

Oh and I did consider catering for a while..maybe I should look into that again.
    Last edited by daylilies; 01-20-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post

You can handle it. A lot depends on what kind of nurse you will be. Those in upper levels I would say have to do even more education. Many that I work most with are the ones going for masters or APN's and wanting to do evidence based practice and actual research.

I do not see too many of the many floor nurses or clinic nurses. Yes they are still learning it's not like being in school. There is continuing education every quarter (all staff does them but not everyone has the same ones to do).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I hope you find something that works for you.

I'm the opposite. When I'm super busy, everything comes out right and perfect. When things are slow, that's when I mess everything up. I thrive in chaos, I guess.

I confess....I watched Bad Girls Club last night and enjoyed it. It is so trashy and I can't believe that people act that way.

I also confess that I just got back from having an EKG done. Very easy test...wish all medical tests where that quick and easy. It's part of the pre-diet stuff that I have to do. Saw a nurse on Monday, see a doctor this morning and probably tomorrow I will get my labs drawn (didn't fast so can't do them this morning). I'm looking to lose right now 70 lbs and am hoping that just maybe if I do that, it might get my hormones better aligned and get me pg. And if not, at least I will feel a lot better and fit into the closet of 1x's I have. Not sure just yet exactly when diet will start...they are forming together the next sets of groups right now so probably in Feb I will start.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess that after a year of living with us our roomie still attempts to put the dishes away after being told numerous times to not even bother because his little brain can't seem to remember where everything goes. After a year!!!!!! He can't even fathom the idea of silverware having a place. We get irritated every time he puts the dishes away and we're pretty darn tired of it. LOL...so...I made a drawing of the utensil holder, labeled with which slot everything goes in and put it on top of the silverware. LOL, it can stay there forever for all I care. At first we were like well at least he's helping but you would think after a year...some of it would have sunk in!?!?!

LMAO Janeen!

I confess that I'm so glad my friend just called me to ask if I want to go out for a walk. I've been such a lazy bum this week!

That is too funny Janeen! LOL

That would drive my DH nuts...he is a bit of a neat freak and everything has to have it's place and doesn't like things sitting out.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That is too funny Janeen! LOL

That would drive my DH nuts...he is a bit of a neat freak and everything has to have it's place and doesn't like things sitting out.
    UH HUH. That is Jimi's kitchen and if ya can't do it right...don't do it at all! He would much rather do it all himself.

LOL It reminds of that passive aggressive notes website.

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    LOL It reminds of that passive aggressive notes website.
    Except for I've already threatened to kick his ass many times.

LOL Janeen that looks just like the diagrams I used to draw for myself at my last job. The ingredients we'd each need at our station would change constantly, with specials, seasonal menu changes, etc. So every time it changed I had to draw diagrams and make long lists of everything I needed. It helped, but I felt like a dork because nobody else had to do that.

I had a sort of epiphany--I'm going to apply at the local country club for catering! They do weddings and business meetings, company parties and stuff. I applied there before, but it was when DH and I owned the store and I was sort of looking for odd hours. I think I technically was hired, but the schedule he gave me ended up not working out at all, so I never worked a day! I hope that doesn't count against me now LOL

I confess I am having one of the worst days I've had in a while. And it's all Savana. She was freaking out on a little girl this morning because the girl sat where she wanted to sit at the breakfast table. She snatched her plate and when I told her to give it back she shoved it rudely across the table at her and made her cry. Well, I told Savana she needed to go to cool off on the time out rug for 2 minutes. This resulted in, seriously, like 15 minutes of Savana screaming and yelling. Finally she did her time out and then ate and I was crying while cleaning up the dishes (my back to the kids) because that stuff emotionally drains me.
    And it didn't end there. After we were all ready to go outside she flipped out because she suddenly decided she didn't want to go outside. I ended up sending her up to dbf because I just couldn't handle it anymore. I hate doing that. But it's not fair to other kids when she acts like that. It changes the whole energy of the room. One of the little girls kept saying to me all morning, "Are you happy, Bridget?", so I know she was feeling worrisome. Not cool.
    So she came back down for lunch and did okay but still had me on edge because her attitude was terrible.
    Plus, I think I have to call the parent of a part time little boy that hasn't come but 4 hours the past 2 weeks. She pays only for the hours she brings him and got laid off. I really need to fill the space if she's not bringing him. I dread this phone call. I really love the little boy and it makes me teary thinking about him not coming here anymore but I have to put my family first.
    I'm so having a glass of wine and a hard core workout tonite. Not in that order.
    Last edited by Bridget; 01-20-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Sorry you're having a rough day Bridget! A glass of wine sounds nice.

....and just now got an email from my mom that my dad had 6 spots sent in for biopsy this morning. He's had every type of skin cancer for the past ten years. He's been okay now for awhile and we were hoping it was over.
    I F&*%ING HATE CANCER. It terrifies me.

That sounds like a terrible day, Bridget. I'm sorry about the little boy. Can you sweeten a bit and tell her that you can do an as needed/if there's room kind of arrangement? Like if she needs to put him in daycare for a half day every once in a while, to call you to see if you have someone out for the day and have room for another?

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Sorry about your dad, Bridget.

That sounds like a terrible day, Bridget. I'm sorry about the little boy. Can you sweeten a bit and tell her that you can do an as needed/if there's room kind of arrangement? Like if she needs to put him in daycare for a half day every once in a while, to call you to see if you have someone out for the day and have room for another?
    Good idea. Thanks.

Sorry about your dad, Bridget.
    Thank you. Did you call that place about the job yet?

No, since DH informed me that I am going to go look for jobs tomorrow I thought I would just stop by then.

No, since DH informed me that I am going to go look for jobs tomorrow I thought I would just stop by then.
    Good luck at the country club. I hope they hire you on the spot and then you can go home and brag like crazy to DH.