Page 221 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1211712112192202212222232312713217211221 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,630 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Every year my ILs read the story of Jesus out loud before present opening to remember the "true meaning" of the holiday. Do you think Abbey is old enough to get any of it? Should we tell our own version of the purpose of the holiday?

Lydia: I actually love all the names, but I like that you could call Truman "True" for short.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 12-19-2009 at 12:56 AM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

One other thing: Where is Ashley (atenielle)? I know she was going through a tough time.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Every year my ILs read the story of Jesus out loud before present opening toremember the "true meaning" or the holiday. Do you think Abbey is old enough to get any of it? Should we tell our own version of the purpose of the holiday?

Lydia: I actually love all the names, but I like that you could call Truman "True" for short.
    That's one of the things I like about the name, too.

And I know my children wouldn't have gotten anything about the reason for the season at 10 months, or even a year. They had no clue Christmas was even happening last year, at 15 months, except they got to unwrap presents.

shutterbird Guest

I'm so behind on this thread. I'll read back in a bit. Lydia, I do like "True/Tru" as a nickname for Truman, but Soren still takes my vote.

Ashley, hope you're doing okay hon!

I like Truman as well. What about Cormac? That's a name I've heard a bit more lately and it seems a nice name.

I really like the name Truman. My only hesitation is that is seems to be having a sudden surge in popularity, which always gives me pause. It seems like one of those names that could be a top 10 name in a couple of years. Or am I crazy?
    Norah! (3 yr)

I confess that our DVD player broke last night. We are movie (and tv-on-dvd) obsessed, don't have cable or decent reception (its not digital up here yet) so we basically don't watch normal TV.

So. Should I go out today and get a new one, or do we wait and see if we can get a deal after Christmas?
    Norah! (3 yr)

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    I confess that our DVD player broke last night. We are movie (and tv-on-dvd) obsessed, don't have cable or decent reception (its not digital up here yet) so we basically don't watch normal TV.

So. Should I go out today and get a new one, or do we wait and see if we can get a deal after Christmas?

Do you have Netflix? You should get one of the new DVD players that allows you to stream Netflix through them. We have an Xbox 360 that we get streaming Netflix through, and it's the most amazing thing ever! We watched 4 seasons of Lost in a month. My head exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    Do you have Netflix? You should get one of the new DVD players that allows you to stream Netflix through them. We have an Xbox 360 that we get streaming Netflix through, and it's the most amazing thing ever! We watched 4 seasons of Lost in a month. My head exploded.
    LOL
    Netflix is great. We caught up on Battlestar Galactica and watched the last of it on tv, and now we are watching Babylon 5 (two shows that are "DH shows" but that I actually like! Wasn't a big fan of the BSG ending though! Haha)

We also just got an xbox 360 and are enjoying the streaming netflix on that.

We don't have that here! Darn, it sounds amazing. We have the netflix equivalent (called zip), but they don't have the streaming service. We also can't buy Kindles in Canada yet. And cell phone service is one of the most expensive in the world, and crappiest too. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

We are surprisingly behind when it comes to technology. I really don't get why. It takes our government FOREVER to figure out that these things are not going to cause the apocalypse or something.

Anyway, I didn't realize how CHEAP regular dvd players are these days. I found one for $30!? Its probably crappy, but there are a bunch for $40-50. Somehow, this makes me feel old...
    Norah! (3 yr)

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    LOL
    Netflix is great. We caught up on Battlestar Galactica and watched the last of it on tv, and now we are watching Babylon 5 (two shows that are "DH shows" but that I actually like! Wasn't a big fan of the BSG ending though! Haha)

We also just got an xbox 360 and are enjoying the streaming netflix on that.
    Don't say ANYTHING else about BSG! We're just near the end of season 2.5 right now. Shhhh! This being a confessing thread and all, I'll say that I have a simultaneous crush on Apollo and Starbuck. I'm not much into girls but sheeeeeeeeeeeit. Starbuck is badass and hot.
    Norah! (3 yr)

We found that Barnes and Noble makes something like the Kindle called a Nook. However it doesn't carry any of dh's favorite scifi/fantasy novels, so he doesn't want it.

The whole dvd thing makes me feel old too. My aunt and uncle sent Josh a VHS and we don't have a VHS player. Luckily my inlaws do.
    VHS and records, it's really scary that Josh won't be growing up with them.

Don't say ANYTHING else about BSG! We're just near the end of season 2.5 right now. Shhhh! This being a confessing thread and all, I'll say that I have a simultaneous crush on Apollo and Starbuck. I'm not much into girls but sheeeeeeeeeeeit. Starbuck is badass and hot.
    Oh I won't! Sorry!
    Mmm, Apollo is hot.

I don't remember what has happened up to the point you're at, so I won't say anything! LOL

Dammit, Maggie! You need Netflix streaming to your TV. Stupid Canada.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We definitely don't like top 10 names. I think Cole and Quinn are becoming more popular, too. I hadn't realized that Truman was. Someone posted about our names in NM and I thought it was interesting that the majority there liked Cole and Quinn and the majority here like Soren. I showed dh all of the other name suggestions that people came up with, and he said "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no." As usual. I accused him of saying no to everything so by the point he actually came up with a name on his own I'd be so happy I'd just agree, no matter what it is. He said he wasn't intentionally doing that.

Maggie, I had no idea you couldn't get Kindles there, but I guess it makes a little sense since it operates by cell phone and it would be international. Still, is international actually more expensive or is it just in theory? I do know that some phones won't work internationally but I wouldn't put Canada in that category.

I bought a new DVD player probably 5 years ago, and I was surprised at that time how reasonably-priced they were.

I'm just worried about hearing who is going to be killed next. I just saw a shocking death...and I know more are coming. Don't worry, you didn't give anything away.

I'm paranoid ever since the end of Six Feet Under was ruined for me by the internet.
    Norah! (3 yr)

Oh, Kim? Your new blog is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    We definitely don't like top 10 names. I think Cole and Quinn are becoming more popular, too. I hadn't realized that Truman was. Someone posted about our names in NM and I thought it was interesting that the majority there liked Cole and Quinn and the majority here like Soren. I showed dh all of the other name suggestions that people came up with, and he said "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no." As usual. I accused him of saying no to everything so by the point he actually came up with a name on his own I'd be so happy I'd just agree, no matter what it is. He said he wasn't intentionally doing that.

Maggie, I had no idea you couldn't get Kindles there, but I guess it makes a little sense since it operates by cell phone and it would be international. Still, is international actually more expensive or is it just in theory? I do know that some phones won't work internationally but I wouldn't put Canada in that category.

I bought a new DVD player probably 5 years ago, and I was surprised at that time how reasonably-priced they were.
    I don't know that Truman is actually becoming popular...it might just be a fluke that I've come across a few of them lately.

I don't think there is ANY good reason that we can't get kindles, decent cell service or streaming movies. We have the networks, etc. I really think its just an extra level of government control that is a pain in that area (I usually land on the side of more government involvement, but here its a bit annoying).
    Norah! (3 yr)

Okay, I need some of my own backwards-Canadian technological help. Can someone give me a primer on Facebook chat etiquette?

Its always so awkward, I find. The only people that seem to try to chat with me are odd people from my past who need a full update on my life as if they haven't read my profile. ("u have a kid!?!"). Maybe I need to change my settings to appear offline. Or more difficult, how do you extricate yourself from an awkward chat? Do you make elaborate excuses for why you need to get offline or something?

I just had a really awkward chat with a guy I 'dated' when I was ELEVEN. (we barely spoke when we were 'dating'). He moved away a couple years later and I don't even know why I'm facebook friends with this dude.
    Norah! (3 yr)

I can't help you there, Maggie. I ended up in chats with an acquaintance right after I joined. She sent me "Welcome to Facebook! You're going to love it here!" messages and I told her she sounded like she was a spokesmodel and she got offended. Little did I know that FB encourages new people to be welcomed. Anyway, she tried to chat with me every time I was on. I'd say something about tending to the kids and stop chatting, but then of course I couldn't do anything else on FB or she'd notice.

After about 2 days of that, I made my status "offline" all the time. I never chat.

Or more difficult, how do you extricate yourself from an awkward chat? Do you make elaborate excuses for why you need to get offline or something?

I always used to just log off without explanation. I'm a meanie I finally set it to offline because I couldn't take it anymore, especially the random people from my past wanting to get together for coffee. I don't even like to go out for coffee or any other social activity with the people I'm currently friends with IRL!

2/09 6/09 4/14

Ashley - 25, Chris - 27, Elizabeth - 9-22-04, Alexis - 12-19-08

Quote Originally Posted by elmobo-n-lexi View Post
    Hey there, stranger!

Yeah, HI! How are you?
    Norah! (3 yr)

I am uncomfortable with the whole chat thing unless it's a good friend popping in to ask me how my mom is doing, or what my plans are for the weekend, something like that. It honestly feels a little invasive to me if it's someone I haven't seen in years, or someone I don't know well.

Hey! I'm wonderful! Hangin' in there!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

OH and as for the chat - I always set my status as hidden. If I want to talk to someone I'll log on and then talk, but that's VERY rare. It's usually only for my dad or brother. I'm not a big "chatter", if anyone could possibly believe that.

But if I want to stop talking I usually say the baby needs me and then I just log off. Or it's bed time or nap time or just really the first thing I can come up with that isn't the actual truth (which is that I hate talking and not to take it personally, it's all people, not just that person)

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Awkward chat? I tell them I don't like chatting on FB, which is totally true, and then I never log into yahoo messenger. LOL
    Maggie I don't remember which shocking death it is! LOL And I'm sorry six feet under was ruined for you. It was a beautiful ending.
    For me it never really bothers me if I find out what happens. There's a huge difference between reading a short spoiler, and actually seeing it. However I would hate to know how say, the next season of Dexter goes (the only thing I'm really watching over the last couple years).

Oh! My mom said something that struck me as funny on the phone today. She decided to come down in the middle of the day today, instead of tomorrow, due to the storm, to do our Christmas presents. We were talking about what to do for lunch, and she said oh, don't worry, it's not about what we eat. It's about the presents.
    Like I expected her to say "it's about seeing you and Josh!" Haha
    Last edited by daylilies; 12-19-2009 at 11:27 AM.