Page 216 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 116 166 206214215216217218 226 266 316 716 1216 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,480 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I've been avoiding yahoo messenger so I don't have to talk to this guy I just reconnected with. Well I told him before I don't like chatting on FB. Mainly because I don't like keeping a whole website open for the itty bitty chat box. So I didn't log on yahoo today, but I logged on FB for a minute. He messages me on FB saying 'no yahoo?' Hmm let's see, I don't like chatting on FB, and I'm not logged on yahoo...so maybe I don't want to chat?

He really has no intuition. When I haven't said anything in chat for a while he types *taps your nose* I want to say, do you know how annoying that is?

I really hope this isn't one of those cases where I have to block an annoying ex...LOL

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I confess - LYDIA I NEED YOU!!!

Can you describe to me your technique of bunjee cording the chairs to the table? We can't keep Liam off the dining room table. Evening moving it up against the wall and away from the couch is not helping. It's amazing how fast he can get up on a chair and from their to the table. I remember reading you used bunjee cords to keep the chairs in. Did you get really long ones? String them together? How did you protect the wood of the table from getting scratched?

HELP!
    Hope this helps. We wrapped a long bungee cord around two chairs and the table leg on each side. We had a big cannister of different sizes, and chose the best one. It's not super-long, but it's long enough. Oh, and definitely not attractive.

Just wanted to confess that I think it is great that my DH is going to go to Swinging Richard's (the local gay strip club) in order to get his co-worker a Secret Santa gift. He asked around for what his co-worker would want and was told that he wanted a Singing Richard's calendar. He is going to go later this week and I think that is great of him considering how he was kind of homophobic when we met, having never known a gay man. Now he that he has had quite a few gay co-workers homosexuality doesn't bother him anymore, which I think is good.

I also confess that I didn't know that Swinging Richard's was a gay strip club. I knew it was a strip club just because it is a black building. But I swear it has a blue neon woman on the side of the building under the blue nean Swinging Richard's sign. I thought it was a club for swingers. It is always packed in the parking lot of the club and even at the Mexican restaurant across the street from the club. At first I though that restaurant must have the best Mexican food in Atlanta to be packed with that many people. I can be so slow sometimes.

Erin

LOL, Erin! i would have thought the bar would have been for swingers as well, just by the name.
    Good for your dh being able to get over the issues he had with alternative lifestyles.

Maggie, hope you are feeling better Did you contact the restaurant?

Bridget, I love tobaggoning too! Snow pants and winter boots make enjoying winter a whole lot easier.

...and Tiger Woods...don't get the whole "who'da'thunk-it" mentality. He is human.
    People just like to drag others down into the muck so they feel superior.
    I think the whole FAME scenario is not gender related when it comes to things like this.
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

Hmmm...I think the guy had genitalia in mind when he named the place...swinging d!cks anyone?

We have a gay club here called "Plan B". My brother called to ask me if I wanted to go with him to the opening party and we were like, "Plan B???? Isn't that the...?? Ohhhhhh."

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I don't think I could even talk about all the gay clubs here. There are specialty ones, like Midnight Sun which has a whole bunch of tvs and videos playing the whole time. A guy actually tried to pick me up there once (I was the only female in the place). He said he was "confused" when I asked him if he wasn't gay. And then there is The Powerhouse which is dark and made for cruising. And about 46 others.

I just finished reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, which discusses why some people can be successful and others aren't, and what causes the meteoric rise of the outliers, those people who are incredibly successful from seemingly humble beginnings. There were a lot of interesting points, such as--

-Asian children tend to be better at math (can count to 40 a full year earlier than English-speaking counterparts) because their numerical language makes more sense than ours.

-When compared across years, low-, middle-, and upper-class children tend to have more difference in average test scores at the end of 5th grade and an insignificant difference at the beginning of 1st grade. It is pretty well known that more privileged children tend to have higher test scores, of course. However, when comparing scores at the beginning and end of school years, the lower-class children had more improvement over the course of the school year. In contrast, the middle- and upper-class children continued to learn during summer vacation, and had an increase in their test scores from the end of one school year to the beginning of the next. The lower-class children actually decreased their test scores after summer vacation. The lower-class children were essentially left on their own to play, while the others had families that actively encouraged reading, activities, and continued effort. The book added that each parenting style had advantages, but the middle- and upper-class families taught skills that helped with success.

-Success in sports like hockey, or other sports that have hierarchical leagues with cut-off dates, is highly dependent on birth month. The cut-off for each level is the beginning of the year, and star hockey players tend to be born in January, February, and March more than any other months. When children are young, there is a huge difference in ability and size between a child born in January and one 11 months younger. If they're in the same league, the January child is going to appear to be the better player, and will continue to get extra coaching and more specialized training as he advances to more skillful leagues. Although natural ability and training help, there is an element of chance to becoming a star in these types of sports.

There were tons of interesting studies in the book. I bet dh is tired of me telling him "Oh, and you know what else I read?" over and over again.

LOL Lydia, it sounds like me with my "Talk so kids will listen" book. I turned down the corner of every other page so far and kept saying to DH "Oh, you know what else?"
    It sounds like a very interesting book.

That book does sound really interesting. What you wrote is also making me consider putting Ky on a hockey team since he was born in February lol!! He is trying to decide what sport to play next year. He thinks he'll do well in basketball since he is taller than all the other 7 year olds but maybe I will try to talk him into hockey since he may get better coaching!

Erin

I haven't been in here in awhile.

But now I have two books I want to get (Outliers and How to Talk So Kids Will Listen). Any others worth reading?

Actually, Bridget: you mentioned a book awhile back you were reading about childcare/child raising... I don't remember much but you said it was really good... do you remember what it was?

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Oh, I loooooooooooved Outliers. Malcolm Gladwell is great. That was the first one of his that I read, and I had to read his other two right away after that.
    Norah! (3 yr)

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post

I just finished reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, which discusses why some people can be successful and others aren't, and what causes the meteoric rise of the outliers, those people who are incredibly successful from seemingly humble beginnings. There were a lot of interesting points, such as--

Interesting! I know we have that book in our library and pretty sure we have that in audio too. We have a lot of interesting enough sounding books but I haven't really read too many of them. I just really prefer to read fiction for fun....and the library I work in is all non-fiction. I should try to actually read some items in our collection once in a while.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    That book does sound really interesting. What you wrote is also making me consider putting Ky on a hockey team since he was born in February lol!! He is trying to decide what sport to play next year. He thinks he'll do well in basketball since he is taller than all the other 7 year olds but maybe I will try to talk him into hockey since he may get better coaching!

Erin
    Atlanta and hockey just seem so strange together.

Nobody cared about sports when I was in Milwaukee but now I'm on the other side of the state and high school sports are HUGE here. Especially hockey where games are always sold out.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post

But now I have two books I want to get (Outliers and How to Talk So Kids Will Listen). Any others worth reading?

?
    1,2,3 Magic is pretty popular in my library and when I was flipping through it, sounded pretty good. If I ever do have a child, DH and I think that we would use this book (helps that it is similiar to how both our moms did things).

I don't normally like non-fiction but a memoir called I had seen Glass Castles or maybe it's just Glass Castles was awfully good.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't think I could even talk about all the gay clubs here. There are specialty ones, like Midnight Sun which has a whole bunch of tvs and videos playing the whole time. A guy actually tried to pick me up there once (I was the only female in the place). He said he was "confused" when I asked him if he wasn't gay. And then there is The Powerhouse which is dark and made for cruising. And about 46 others.

-Asian children tend to be better at math (can count to 40 a full year earlier than English-speaking counterparts) because their numerical language makes more sense than ours.

-When compared across years, low-, middle-, and upper-class children tend to have more difference in average test scores at the end of 5th grade and an insignificant difference at the beginning of 1st grade. It is pretty well known that more privileged children tend to have higher test scores, of course. However, when comparing scores at the beginning and end of school years, the lower-class children had more improvement over the course of the school year. In contrast, the middle- and upper-class children continued to learn during summer vacation, and had an increase in their test scores from the end of one school year to the beginning of the next. The lower-class children actually decreased their test scores after summer vacation. The lower-class children were essentially left on their own to play, while the others had families that actively encouraged reading, activities, and continued effort. The book added that each parenting style had advantages, but the middle- and upper-class families taught skills that helped with success.

-Success in sports like hockey, or other sports that have hierarchical leagues with cut-off dates, is highly dependent on birth month. The cut-off for each level is the beginning of the year, and star hockey players tend to be born in January, February, and March more than any other months. When children are young, there is a huge difference in ability and size between a child born in January and one 11 months younger. If they're in the same league, the January child is going to appear to be the better player, and will continue to get extra coaching and more specialized training as he advances to more skillful leagues. Although natural ability and training help, there is an element of chance to becoming a star in these types of sports.

There were tons of interesting studies in the book. I bet dh is tired of me telling him "Oh, and you know what else I read?" over and over again.
    So funny you should mention that book! I just bought 2 copies as Christmas presents for family, plus a copy of The Tipping Point for DH. I haven't read any of them yet, but I'm going to borrow them when I can. ;)

-The cut-off for each level is the beginning of the year, and star hockey players tend to be born in January, February, and March more than any other months.
    Oh geez - please don't tell my DH this! I'll end up having to wait until June to conceive if this month doesn't work out!

2/09 6/09 4/14 9/14

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post

Actually, Bridget: you mentioned a book awhile back you were reading about childcare/child raising... I don't remember much but you said it was really good... do you remember what it was?
    Was it Nurture Shock? A few of us here read it. We had a half-arsed book club . I think we all agreed it was a good read. I go back to it in my mind all of the time and I plan to read it again in the future as a refresher. While reading it, I just kept thinking, "yes, yes, yes!"

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Was it Nurture Shock? A few of us here read it. We had a half-arsed book club . I think we all agreed it was a good read. I go back to it in my mind all of the time and I plan to read it again in the future as a refresher. While reading it, I just kept thinking, "yes, yes, yes!"
    They finally reached my number at the library to pick this up, so I will be reading this starting tomorrow...

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I confess I think my MIL thinks she caught me in a lie...
    Yesterday I went out with my dad for Chinese food and I ate too much so I told DH to go ahead to my inlaws for dinner without me. (we usually all go on Sundays)

So she called me today and mentioned she was going out for Chinese food and said "I know you're having nightmares about that" and I couldn't figure out what the heck she was talking about. She said "I thought you got sick last night from Chinese food!" I think she thinks I was making it up! LOL

I confess that last night DH told me he thought our relationship was over. I agreed with him. It's pretty much the only thing we can agree upon at the moment!

I don't really feel sad, just kind of nauseas. I've reached the point where I don't even care anymore.

I know it sounds awful, but I just wish we could have at least hung in there until after Christmas. My mother is here so I don't even get a chance to talk with him in private.

Oh I am so sorry I know what you mean about wanting to hang in there until after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I confess that last night DH told me he thought our relationship was over. I agreed with him. It's pretty much the only thing we can agree upon at the moment!

I don't really feel sad, just kind of nauseas. I've reached the point where I don't even care anymore.

I know it sounds awful, but I just wish we could have at least hung in there until after Christmas. My mother is here so I don't even get a chance to talk with him in private.
    Big, huge

I'm so, so sorry.

Is it too soon to be thinking about all the practicalities? Are you leaning on staying in Iceland? Or going back to... where are you from, originally? Maybe, just maybe, he timed it for your mom's visit so she can help with planning and support.

Oh no. I'm so sorry.
    Norah! (3 yr)

I'm so sorry.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh no Sarah. I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry to hear that! Do you want to come over to England and hang out for a bit with me instead of hanging around there?

shutterbird Guest

Big, gigantic hugs, Sarah.

(((Sarah))))
    I know it has been touch and go for a while with you and him, but it is always sad to end something
    Have you made any plans?
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

Oh . . . .

Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008