Page 206 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1061561962042052062072082162563067061206 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,180 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Am I the only female in the world that hasn't read this series? I have had no interest.
    I'm with you too. The whole vampire thing is incomprehensible to me. DH and I were just talking about how there are vampires *everywhere* right now. Too many for me!
    Norah! (3 yr)

I have not read them. And I also fell asleep ten minutes into the movie.

Am I the only female in the world that hasn't read this series? I have had no interest.
    I have not read them either and will not. I got enough vampires as a teen when I had an intense interest in all things Anne Rice. I loved all her vampires and actually still do and don't have the desire to know about any others.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I have not read them either and will not. I got enough vampires as a teen when I had an intense interest in all things Anne Rice. I loved all her vampires and actually still do and don't have the desire to know about any others.

Erin
    I like her Sleeping Beauty series.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Actually, I only read like the first book and half of the second but I will definitely finish them one of these days.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Haven't read them, have no interest at all. What I have heard about the characters and plots frankly gives me the creeps. Not because of the vampire angle, but because the idea that the girl is in a relationship with a guy who has an overwhelming desire to kill her, threatens to kill himself because of her, throws her through a glass table, etc. IRL this would all go under the heading of physical/mental abuse and domestic violence but in fiction it is called romance? Nope, not playing.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Haven't read them, have no interest at all. What I have heard about the characters and plots frankly gives me the creeps. Not because of the vampire angle, but because the idea that the girl is in a relationship with a guy who has an overwhelming desire to kill her, threatens to kill himself because of her, throws her through a glass table, etc. IRL this would all go under the heading of physical/mental abuse and domestic violence but in fiction it is called romance? Nope, not playing.
    Oh, and they don't actually sound very interesting.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Did not know that much about them actually. Yikes, ITA.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Ooh, more neighbor drama after a blissful month of strained silence. They shoved their trashcans into dh's car and then parked illegally to block him in. Dh knocked on their door and they wouldn't answer. We called both of their numbers and left messages. No answer.

Dh called the police and just calmly reported it. They said they'd come out and check, but our neighbor ran outside and moved his car and I never did see if the police came. Then, after the twins were asleep I came out to hear dh and the neighbor yelling across to each other. Dh told him he didn't want his brother threatening me. The neighbor said he'd pulled his building permits and decided our building was 4" onto his land and he'd make us move it. He said he'd put up a fence between our yards wherever he felt like it. There was a lot of back and forth and words like retaliation. Dh is really wound up now, and I'm nervous that this has escalated into an entirely new level.

We were going to get a surveyor, but our neighbors would not help pay for it and it was going to be over $1000 right when we can't afford it. They threatened me and said I'd regret it if I started investigating the property lines. I was just happy when nothing happened for a while.

shutterbird Guest

Holy crap, Lydia. You really don't need that kind of crap!

Oh, I am not even tempted to read them. We just heard about the sparkling from a friend's wife who is reading them with her daughter.

Huh, that's more than I knew. Still not tempted.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    Eek! Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post

Erin
    I'm re-reading the Twilight series, again, but began my vampire adventures/obsession with Anne Rice - I still harbor a crush on Armand. I have to say as far as Twilight, for me at least, it's more about the romance of it than the vampire storyline. They aren't real vampires or real werewolves to me, just some other supernatural beings.

2/09 6/09 4/14

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    OMG, I got that when I was 16 and didn't know what I was in for. I was actually a pretty innocent 16 yr old (I really didn't get a lot of jokes and my bff at the time had to explain to me what a BJ was LOL)
    I had read like Danielle Steel and stuff like that but man the Sleeping Beauty one...whole nother level!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Um, the glass table thing involved him trying to push her out of the way to save her life from another vampire. It wasn't exactly domestic violence.

2/09 6/09 4/14

Hmm, I don't recall him throwing her through a glass table. And yeah he is stalkerish but he does NOT want to kill her. Really I read it as their relationship was awfully old-fashioned....he wants to take care of her and protect her.

My sister, MIL and I all loved the books.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh Lydia....I'm sorry you are going through that. My parents have neighbors like that. It was funny our old house was practically in a ghetto neighborhood and didn't have issues. They moved to a nice brand new house and neighborhood and issues galore. Basically they both ended up with lawyers and sending certified letters and are not supposed to talk to each other. And my dad bought a camera system for the outside the house. So now they have a years worth of footage if the anals try pulling anything....they were concerned about the truck and about them throwing anything over the fence and hurting the dog. It's a mess but usually is pretty quite during the winter months here.

I'm really hoping that we end up with nice neighbors at our new house!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah, I don't get the whole Twilight thing; the story seems weak to me. I am a book snob, though. I do think Robert Pattinson is a pretty piece of eye candy. I told my DH I guess I am the envy of a lot of girls since I'm married to a pale Englishman with a cool attitude. LOL.

Lydia, sounds like your neighbors need a visit from a big muscley relative; you got any of those?

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    I do think Robert Pattinson is a pretty piece of eye candy.
    I guess I am in the minority on that one... I think he was a horrible choice to play Edward, and I don't find him attractive at all

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Well, Justin is big and muscley. He can be pretty intimidating, perhaps overly intimidating sometimes.

The worst part about it is that we used to get along so well. They'd drop their baby off for me to watch for half an hour if they needed to go do something. We exchanged gifts and we got invited to their parties. Their daughter used to come over and play with the twins after school. I miss that.

I confess we're just loving Patricia Briggs books right now. There are two series - Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega - that are simply fantastic.

There are vampires in them (Buffy-verse type mixed with Anne Rice bits), as well as witches and fey, but is primarily about werewolves and one "walker" (Native American who switches between human and coyote).
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Anybody read the Stieg Larsson books? I am about to start the second one, and my sister special ordered the third from the UK because she couldn't wait until May.

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I guess I am in the minority on that one... I think he was a horrible choice to play Edward, and I don't find him attractive at all
    My MIL would agree with you on that one! I was iffy at first but I came around. Just something about the way he would look at Bella....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah me too. I think they could have found a better Edward.
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

I confess I don't understand the big deal between "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas"??
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

26. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer912 View Post
    My MIL would agree with you on that one! I was iffy at first but I came around. Just something about the way he would look at Bella....
    Could be his and Kristens IRL romance? He said that they did have wonderful "onset chemistry"...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlishaAnew View Post
    I confess I don't understand the big deal between "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas"??
    Thanks Gap for giving me - "Happy Do-Whatever-You-Want-ukah"

lol... Its all about taking "christ" out of "christmas"

Thanks Gap for giving me - "Happy Do-Whatever-You-Want-ukah"
    Haha. Love it.
    Anna Mommy to 4 boys!! 16 yrs., 14 yrs., 7 yrs., and baby.
    Mean people produce little mean people!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaAnew View Post
    Merry Christmas leaves out all the other holidays. So if you say Happy Holidays, that is a lot more open (plus I take it to include New Years...so the holiday season).

I don't personally care and use both myself.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I think the books and movies are kind of entertaining, and Robert Pattison is objectivley handsome, but I find it hard to be attracted to someone that young! What is he, like 20? I'm old enough to be his mother. I could never be a cougar.
    "Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

I've only seen pictures of Robert, and I'm hoping he has some serious charisma onscreen because I just do not see anything in him.
    I just did a google on him and I didn't even realize he was Cedric in the Harry Potter movies. LOL
    Last edited by daylilies; 12-02-2009 at 07:06 PM.