Page 203 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1031531932012022032042052132533037031203 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,090 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Oh no, Silverstar! I'm so sorry for your loss.

And I hate to hear about all of the financial troubles going on. This is a hard time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I refer to my husband sometimes as "The Great Enabler".
    Ha ha, totally!

What is going on? There is so much bad stuff happening here and IRL that I just get scared every time I answer the phone or open up this thread or check email or facebook.

Everyone just stay in your houses and hide, please, until the bad spell is over. Big hugs for everyone and I am trying to send out as much positivity today as I can! I am choosing to be pleasant and kind to everyone today to try to balance some of the sadness a bit.

I'm sorry sorry sorry to hear all this bad news.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I'm so sorry everyone. I haven't been on much and its so sad to come and hear so much bad news. I want to hug all of you.
    Norah! (3 yr)

Hi Maggie! I was just thinking I hadn't seen you in a while.

I am hoping DH gets that job offer from his Brother. It would save us and we would actually get ahead and stay there.
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaAnew View Post
    I am hoping DH gets that job offer from his Brother. It would save us and we would actually get ahead and stay there.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess that Savana has been saying, "You scared the Jesus outta me!"
    I have no idea how she came up with that phrase but every time she says it I think, "That's what Father Smelsher did to me too!" He was the super grumpy and intolerant priest at the church I grew up in.

for everyone. I agree, it's getting rough in here.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Ok my turn. So I was contacted about a year ago by my oldest son's aunt. His biofather has never ever been in the picture. Well she didn't even mention my ex and was just wondering how Junior was. So I finally asked her if she could get me his SS number so I can try to get child support. Without hesitation she said yes. Anything for her nephew. She let me know he's a super jerk and has another daughter out there he signed his rights to her grandparents. She says he wants him to take resposibility and even though part of her feels bad for giving me the information another part feels really good. But anyways. A few years ago I tried looking for him to get child support and was told they couldn't find him, because his name is a very very very common one. Well she did tell me that his grandmother recieved something from child support services in the mail but didn't even bother to open it. Apparently no one, aside from her, thinks he should have to deal with his obligations. It's so frustrating. I just hope now that I have his social I can start getting some sort of help from him. Oh and my son's aunt wants to see him and start to build a relationship. I'm glad someone out there aside from me and my family cares about him.
    Anna Mommy to 4 boys!! 16 yrs., 14 yrs., 7 yrs., and baby.
    Mean people produce little mean people!!

I've been away for a while, too and I'm so sorry so many of us are having difficult times. Big to everyone.
    "Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oh no, I'm so sorry everyone! This is too much bad news to wake up to. Huge hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by heartmyboyz View Post
    Ok my turn. So I was contacted about a year ago by my oldest son's aunt. His biofather has never ever been in the picture. Well she didn't even mention my ex and was just wondering how Junior was. So I finally asked her if she could get me his SS number so I can try to get child support. Without hesitation she said yes. Anything for her nephew. She let me know he's a super jerk and has another daughter out there he signed his rights to her grandparents. She says he wants him to take resposibility and even though part of her feels bad for giving me the information another part feels really good. But anyways. A few years ago I tried looking for him to get child support and was told they couldn't find him, because his name is a very very very common one. Well she did tell me that his grandmother recieved something from child support services in the mail but didn't even bother to open it. Apparently no one, aside from her, thinks he should have to deal with his obligations. It's so frustrating. I just hope now that I have his social I can start getting some sort of help from him. Oh and my son's aunt wants to see him and start to build a relationship. I'm glad someone out there aside from me and my family cares about him.

I hope you get it. It's your son's right to have that, even if his biofather never does a single other thing for him his entire life. I hope your son can meet up with his aunt.

Too many broken hearts and broken wallets.
    Why does life have to be so darned hard sometimes?
    Hugs to all of you ladies.
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

I confess that I've been looking into going to university, and I still have no clue what to study. You'd think I would have figured this out by the age of 27, but apparently not.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

MammaMia, if you want to go to mostly expand your horizons or to just have a degree in something, I would take general classes that sound interesting like literature or anthropology or sociology and follow up on the ones that were your favorites. If you want to go for a future career, I'd talk to a career counselor at the university. There are tests they can give to help pinpoint your interests.

Heartmyboyz, I'm really glad you're in contact with someone who is interested in helping and spending time with your son and will help you get the support he deserves.

I need to get a "useful" degree. Not that any degree is useless, but I need to do something that will offer good job prospects even in the middle of this recession. My problem is that all of the subjects I'm interested in offer few career opportunities. Art, linguistics and philosophy, anyone?

You're right Lydia - I need to make an appointment with the career counselor.

And now, for a little levity:

I blew a few raspberries on Ronin's tummy during a diaper change this morning. He said "Do it again!" and I obliged and he giggled. Then he pointed down and said "Do it on my penis!"

Of course I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    And now, for a little levity:

I blew a few raspberries on Ronin's tummy during a diaper change this morning. He said "Do it again!" and I obliged and he giggled. Then he pointed down and said "Do it on my penis!"

Of course I didn't.
    ROFL!!!! OMG that is HILARIOUS!!

Erin

It doesn't take them long does it It is stunning how many innocent things they say make us go
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I need to get a "useful" degree. Not that any degree is useless, but I need to do something that will offer good job prospects even in the middle of this recession. My problem is that all of the subjects I'm interested in offer few career opportunities. Art, linguistics and philosophy, anyone?

My interest in linguistics is one of the reasons I chose to study communication disorders. Now I have a very marketable degree that is in high demand. It took a long time to get it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post

My undergrad is in philosophy....it's NOT the degree to get if you are looking for a job. I loved it and it was really fun but I always planned on graduate school. I did that for Library Science and philosophy background was helpful there...and even sometimes in my job as a medical librarian. But after college, nobody was impressed with the philosophy degree...I tried to find jobs while waiting for grad school to start and it was over a year before I found one (went to grad school part-time while working full-time)...and I graduated with high honors and very involved in things like student gov in college.

If I had to do it again, I would have just double majored, I was in school long enough anyway. Do the philosophy or whatever is fun...but than pair it with something that better for job prospects like accounting or business or teaching or paralegal.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    My interest in linguistics is one of the reasons I chose to study communication disorders. Now I have a very marketable degree that is in high demand. It took a long time to get it, though.
    that is a high demand area...my MIL works in staffing and managing an office for visiting nurses and that is probably her hardest area to find staff for.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer912 View Post
    that is a high demand area...my MIL works in staffing and managing an office for visiting nurses and that is probably her hardest area to find staff for.
    I believe it. We're a shortage profession. I know our city just doesn't have enough qualified people to meet the demand for services, and we're a big city.

ETA: MammaMia, I also took a lot of linguistics classes in undergrad as part of my degree program, which was a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-26-2009 at 11:12 AM.

I changed my major from Spanish to Nursing because one of my gen ed science classes was so fascinating--biochemical psychology, all about how the brain works or malfunctions with neurotransmitters and other things. I hadn't even considered the career implications, but I am so glad I went into nursing now. It's turned out to be a wonderful, secure, flexible, and lucrative career.

26. Default

I am going back to school for Phlebotomy. Perhaps extend that into nursing or something like that later down the road.

I went back to school for nursing as well, a few years after getting a degree in art history. I moved to Japan right after school, but I'm looking forwad to working as a nurse.

Ok, this is stupid but I realize I'm feeling a little sad. Last Thanksgiving was the day I found out I was pregnant. Then I had my D&C on Jan. 23rd, which is my current due date. What a coincidence, eh?
    "Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    Interesting! I've actually thought about doing something along those lines. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer912 View Post
    My undergrad is in philosophy....it's NOT the degree to get if you are looking for a job. I loved it and it was really fun but I always planned on graduate school. I did that for Library Science and philosophy background was helpful there...and even sometimes in my job as a medical librarian. But after college, nobody was impressed with the philosophy degree...I tried to find jobs while waiting for grad school to start and it was over a year before I found one (went to grad school part-time while working full-time)...and I graduated with high honors and very involved in things like student gov in college.
    Yeah, see, this is my problem. If I were 10 years younger, I would definitely study philosophy (or some other interesting subject) purely out of my love of learning. I just can't justify spending the time or money doing that at this point in my life.

I dunno, maybe when I'm 50? My step-MIL is 50 now and working towards her BA in psychology. I think she's super awesome.

I confess that I have been an internet-addicted-lazy-butt-slacker this week. Bad, bad, bad!

Oh Lydia, somehow I missed your post about Ronin and the raspberries until today. Did you die laughing or what?