Page 197 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 971471871951961971981992072472976971197 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,910 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

1. Default

Have you looked into a no-sodium salt substitute?

My mom has Meniere's Disease, which is a disorder of the inner ear- like Vertigo 24/7... and the doctors told her one thing that will really help is to drastically reduce her sodium intake... and the substitute really isn't all that bad...

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    Have you looked into a no-sodium salt substitute?

My mom has Meniere's Disease, which is a disorder of the inner ear- like Vertigo 24/7... and the doctors told her one thing that will really help is to drastically reduce her sodium intake... and the substitute really isn't all that bad...
    The substitute isn't bad but...most foods come high in sodium already. Especially if you're a box dinner type person like me.

Sodium is in every freaking thing just about and lots of it actually. Just like sugar.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

We haven't looked into the salt substitute, actually. I'll have to check that out. And yes, Janeen, since i've been reading lables like crazy, I've realized just HOW much sodium is in ALL the crap I cook. I mean....everything I cook has tons of sodium, and I've never thought twice about it! UGH. This is H-A-R-D!! This is way way harder than I ever thought!

Ashley - 25, Chris - 27, Elizabeth - 9-22-04, Alexis - 12-19-08

Quote Originally Posted by elmobo-n-lexi View Post
    We haven't looked into the salt substitute, actually. I'll have to check that out. And yes, Janeen, since i've been reading lables like crazy, I've realized just HOW much sodium is in ALL the crap I cook. I mean....everything I cook has tons of sodium, and I've never thought twice about it! UGH. This is H-A-R-D!! This is way way harder than I ever thought!
    True story. You don't notice it until you decide to really pay attention to it. Same with the sugar now that we are paying attention to that when we go shopping.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    The substitute isn't bad but...most foods come high in sodium already. Especially if you're a box dinner type person like me.

Sodium is in every freaking thing just about and lots of it actually. Just like sugar.
    SOOO true!

I confess i LOVE Gap's holiday commercial -- Happy "Do-whatever-you-want-akuh"

I think one of the main ways to avoid sodium is buy fresh and cook from scratch, which then means your grocery bill sky-rocketing at least initially.

So Big E...how about a Big Mac?

Janeen, can I come kick you now? NO WAIT, i'll do that when you have your blob!!! LOL. Yeah, that's what his doc said. Buy fresh, cook in olive oil, and don't use boxed foods, or canned veggies. O-M-G!!!! That's nearly impossible. haha DH is very mopey and pouty.

But I also believe this will help with our moods too! I notice the more CRAP we eat, the more.....irritable we all are.

Come on girl...just me, you and a big fat Big Mac. DH doesn't have to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    Come on girl...just me, you and a big fat Big Mac. DH doesn't have to know.
    OK I give in. now I need a big mac!!!

Sneaky, sneaky!

And my baby told me to tell you that it's very offended because it doesn't look like a blob anymore!

Stupid heads didn't have any garlic dipping sauce.

I have been thinking of eating a burger for dinner and now I'm thinking of a big mac because of you ladies and I don't even like big macs. But I'll stick with the steak, sweet potatoes and green beans that I have to cook. Just dont' feel like cooking today.

Oh, and Ashley, have you thought of increasing the potassium in your DH's diet? Potassium works to clear sodium out of the system and can decrease blood pressure. My DH has high blood pressure as well, moreso now because of his 6 pack habit and cigar smoking than eating since we have been eating well for the past 3-4 months. It has gone down substantially since we cut out table salt pretty much entirely and he takes a potassium supplement as well as eats a lot of potassium rich foods like bananas everyday. And it's easier to stop using so much salt when you marinate meats in homemade marinades. I use a lemon pepper marinade for chicken that has no salt at all and everyone loves it, even people who come by and I offer them some for lunch. I have this book called "The Road to a Healthy Heart Runs Through the Kitchen" by a man named Joe Piscatella, it has a bunch of good recipes in it that don't include a lot of sodium in most and tell you how to cut back on it in everyday cooking as well as other areas that can help blood pressure. I got it at Krogers for like $10. It's great that you are all eating healthy together. I know if I didn't start cooking healthier, my DH would just eat whatever we had too no matter his intentions.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 11-14-2009 at 05:48 PM.

15. Default

I confess just as the timer was about to ding on my Santa Fe Soup, my only female friend here called and asked if I had eaten dinner... I said no, I was about to and she literally yelled at me not to eat..

She is on her way over with a pizza, wings and a movie!

LOL sweet! What movie?

17. Default

Not sure... She asked what I wanted to watch, and I said surprise me! lol.. Its been so long since I have been to the movies, I can almost guarantee I haven't seen whatever shes bringing over

We're watching Orphan tonight.

19. Default

OoO Tell me how it is!!! That's one I wanted to see!!
    I want to see Brothers when it comes out, too... My "Want to see" list is huge...

I confess the last time I saw a movie in theaters was for Valentine's day. DH and I went to dinner, then to see Paul Blart : Mall Cop.

I confess that Jimi just told me "Sexiness is 90% attitude" and I quick-wittedly replied with "No it's not, that's just true for ugly people."

I was kidding. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer912 View Post
    I confess....I am waiting for a homemade apple pie to get out of the oven.
    I confess I was really stupid. When said pie came out of the oven, DH and I ate the whole thing instead of a regular meal. And I was also have a brandy with regular 7up. Now I put a lot less sugar in my pie than a store one....but still.

So yeah I was sitting there and suddenly dumped. Stupid stupid me. You would think that after 5 years I would know better but was just NOT thinking. I had a gastric bypass 5 years ago and too much sugar too quickly leads to dumping....something I do NOT do often. It sucked so bad....I was fine one minute and the next my heart was racing, I wanted to throw up but couldn't, I was dizzy, felt just so uncomfortable and awful.

DH was really sweet, got me a wastebasket just in case, gave me the couch to lie down and reminding me that in about 20 minutes I would feel better.

He was right and suddenly I was fine in about 20 minutes. And I made us some frozen pizza so I could get some protein in me!

On the positive side....my pie was dang good! And rolling out the crust was a workout.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess I have to change our whole way of eating. So no pizza, no yummy desserts. Nothing. DH was put on a no sodium diet by his doc due to his blood pressure and other things, so now I have to be miserable too. I've been in a bad mood since he told me what his blood pressure was. Not for his health, but for the fact that we have to start eating right. I'm upset.

lol. he insists that I can eat what I used to eat and he'll just change his diet, but I just can't do that to him.
    That is sweet of you! I couldn't diet or change at all if DH wasn't on board.

Is it low sodium or absolutely none? I'm thinking that a homemade pizza wouldn't have much salt in it......and it's not greasy if it's not full of meat.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

His new motto is "just a little bite won't hurt". yeah, all those little bites add up! And with how high his blood pressure is and has been, he can't afford to eat ANY. His BP has steadily been atleast 155/119 or so for MONTHS. Heck, probably even years. His doc warned him that he HAS to eat right. He just has to.
    That is pretty high. Does he relax his shoulder when they test? I once had someone tell me that and it made a huge difference!

Also exercise is big help there...though I'm sure his doc said that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We watched Milk tonight. We both thought that it was REALLY good.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

25. Default

My friend brought over "Sex and Death 101".

I confess I had seen it at Blockbuster many times, but always just skimmed over it, never giving it a second look.

I confess it was funny!!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

hi everyone! i just bought a little internet time while the babies are napping (we are in mexico) and thought i would check in on you guys! man there has been a lot of food talk! congrats, maggie, on the house, and congrats kim for nanawrimo. and nice to see you back here, aelith.

im having a great time. the weather is perfect. the food is good. we went to the eco park xcaret yesterday and saw little baby turtles and floated the underground river. some guy dressed like a mayan warrior jumped out at us about halfway through and claire freaked out and cried the rest of the way down the river. she keeps talking about the scary guy now.

anyway, i miss you!

Hey, Lydia! Still envious here that you're in Mexico!

We're trying to decide where to go for a vacation for a few days in the new year.

I confess, EW!

I just learned about a verse in the bible that I really do NOT like. Not even one little bit.

Let me just say one more time, EW!

Hi Lydia!

Which verse, Janeen?

30. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    Which verse, Janeen?
    Im curious too!