Page 147 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 47971371451461471481491571972476471147 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,410 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I finally formulated and posted a response to my SIL's comment on my Fb wall:

Considering this country was founded on prayer and that schools have "gone to hell in a hand basket" since they took prayer out of school, I'd have to disagree. Love ya anyway

My response was:
    1) If anything this country was founded on freedom from religious persecution, so that individuals were and are free to practice the religion of their choice, or none at all. 2) There’s nothing preventing prayer from being in schools now. If you check the law, the only thing not allowed is TEACHER led prayer that is required of all students. Any student is free to pray on their own, or in groups, so long as it is not during class time. If you want the teacher led prayer brought back, be careful what you wish for. If they’re going to require ALL students to, for example, recite the Lord’s Prayer, that means they could also require ALL students to kneel East and pray to Mecca or require ALL students to sing from the Torah. 3) if you think schools have “gone to hell in a hand basket”, maybe it’s because class sizes are getting bigger while teaching staff is stagnant or decreasing, funding for existing and new programs is no longer there, and teaching is no longer respected as it once was – not because teachers aren’t leading prayers during class time. And I love you anyways, too.

Thank you all!

awesome!!!
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

Considering this country was founded on prayer and that schools have "gone to hell in a hand basket" since they took prayer out of school, I'd have to disagree. Love ya anyway

My response was:
    1) If anything this country was founded on freedom from religious persecution, so that individuals were and are free to practice the religion of their choice, or none at all. 2) There’s nothing preventing prayer from being in schools now. If you check the law, the only thing not allowed is TEACHER led prayer that is required of all students. Any student is free to pray on their own, or in groups, so long as it is not during class time. If you want the teacher led prayer brought back, be careful what you wish for. If they’re going to require ALL students to, for example, recite the Lord’s Prayer, that means they could also require ALL students to kneel East and pray to Mecca or require ALL students to sing from the Torah. 3) if you think schools have “gone to hell in a hand basket”, maybe it’s because class sizes are getting bigger while teaching staff is stagnant or decreasing, funding for existing and new programs is no longer there, and teaching is no longer respected as it once was – not because teachers aren’t leading prayers during class time. And I love you anyways, too.

Thank you all!

Boo-ya-ka-sha! I liked educated responses! You go girl!

I confess I am feeling sickly. Blah!

My response was:

Thank you all!

I'm thankful for people like you who can articulate the things I can't. LOL

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

That was definitely a good reply.

I like your reply too.
    Norah! (3 yr)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    I confess I am feeling sickly. Blah!
    Don't use that as an excuse to lay off the BD! What are you even doing on the computer? The twins were conceived when dh had a terrible cold and could barely lift a muscle. I told him he only had to lift one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Don't use that as an excuse to lay off the BD! What are you even doing on the computer? The twins were conceived when dh had a terrible cold and could barely lift a muscle. I told him he only had to lift one.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

LOL...hubby is at band practice, so I'm just passing the time away til he gets home. I'm going to use your story as inspiration. I like that. If you want something bad enough, you'll get it, right! Mind over matter-I can keep up this BD marathon...

shutterbird Guest

LOVE that response! KUP on the reply!

I am sorry I can't remember now. :doh: Are we FB buddies?

Can someone tell me why I can't remember?!?!

Oh I confess I LOVE how much faith people have in their president......That he is going to destroy America and make us weak.

NICE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post

I'm thankful for people like you who can articulate the things I can't. LOL
    Me too!

ROFL!!!!! That's brilliant.

Default What if Dr. Seuss Wrote Technical Manuals?

I confess I've been reading way too much Seuss recently. This is outdated, but still funny.

Author: Gene Ziegler
    A Grandchild's Guide to Using Grandpa's Computer

Bits Bytes Chips Clocks
    Bits in bytes on chips in box.
    Bytes with bits and chips with clocks.
    Chips in box on ether-docks.

Chips with bits come. Chips with bytes come.
    Chips with bits and bytes and clocks come.

Look, sir. Look, sir. read the book, sir.
    Let's do tricks with bits and bytes, sir.
    Let's do tricks with chips and clocks, sir.

First, I'll make a quick trick bit stack.
    Then I'll make a quick trick byte stack.
    You can make a quick trick chip stack.
    You can make a quick trick clock stack.

And here's a new trick on the scene.
    Bits in bytes for your machine.
    Bytes in words to fill your screen.

Now we come to ticks and tocks, sir.
    Try to say this by the clock, sir.

Clocks on chips tick.
    Clocks on chips tock.
    Eight byte bits tick.
    Eight bit bytes tock.
    Clocks on chips with eight bit bytes tick.
    Chips with clocks and eight byte bits tock.

Here's an easy game to play.
    Here's an easy thing to say....

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
    And the bus is interrupted as a very last resort,
    And the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,
    Then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash,
    And the double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash,
    And your data is corrupted 'cause the index doesn't hash,
    Then your situation's hopeless, and your system's gonna crash!

You can't say this? What a shame sir!
    We'll find you another game sir.

If the label on the cable on the table at your house,
    Says the network is connected to the button on your mouse,
    But your packets want to tunnel on another protocol,
    That's repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall,
    And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss
    So your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse,
    Then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang,
    'Cause as sure as I'm a poet, the sucker's gonna hang!

When the copy of your floppy's getting sloppy on the disk,
    And the microcode instructions cause unnecessary RISC,
    Then you have to flash your memory and you'll want to RAM your ROM.
    Quickly turn off the computer and be sure to tell your mom!

I confess I've been reading way too much Seuss recently. This is outdated, but still funny.

Author: Gene Ziegler
    A Grandchild's Guide to Using Grandpa's Computer

Bits Bytes Chips Clocks
    Bits in bytes on chips in box.
    Bytes with bits and chips with clocks.
    Chips in box on ether-docks.

Chips with bits come. Chips with bytes come.
    Chips with bits and bytes and clocks come.

Look, sir. Look, sir. read the book, sir.
    Let's do tricks with bits and bytes, sir.
    Let's do tricks with chips and clocks, sir.

First, I'll make a quick trick bit stack.
    Then I'll make a quick trick byte stack.
    You can make a quick trick chip stack.
    You can make a quick trick clock stack.

And here's a new trick on the scene.
    Bits in bytes for your machine.
    Bytes in words to fill your screen.

Now we come to ticks and tocks, sir.
    Try to say this by the clock, sir.

Clocks on chips tick.
    Clocks on chips tock.
    Eight byte bits tick.
    Eight bit bytes tock.
    Clocks on chips with eight bit bytes tick.
    Chips with clocks and eight byte bits tock.

Here's an easy game to play.
    Here's an easy thing to say....

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
    And the bus is interrupted as a very last resort,
    And the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,
    Then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash,
    And the double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash,
    And your data is corrupted 'cause the index doesn't hash,
    Then your situation's hopeless, and your system's gonna crash!

You can't say this? What a shame sir!
    We'll find you another game sir.

If the label on the cable on the table at your house,
    Says the network is connected to the button on your mouse,
    But your packets want to tunnel on another protocol,
    That's repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall,
    And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss
    So your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse,
    Then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang,
    'Cause as sure as I'm a poet, the sucker's gonna hang!

When the copy of your floppy's getting sloppy on the disk,
    And the microcode instructions cause unnecessary RISC,
    Then you have to flash your memory and you'll want to RAM your ROM.
    Quickly turn off the computer and be sure to tell your mom!
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Kind of makes me want to go read some Dr. Seuss

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I confess I really think most questions on Yahoo! answers are just written by trolls. I am always astonished when people quote Yahoo! answers as real advice.

I like this one.

The baby can get pregnant only if it's a female. If you suspect that your baby is pregnant, try not to have sex again. You run the risk of getting your baby's baby pregnant and that can lead to complications like an infinite loop.

Lydia, you are cracking me up today.

Yeah... I seriously wonder about Yahoo answers at times. Have you guys ever seen the big discussions/arguments in the Religion/Spirituality section? That place has more addicted members than APA! And they're constantly fighting, it's hilarious.

I confess that I've been thinking about something religion/secular related and I'm tempted to post about it once I get my thoughts together but I'm worried it'll be controversial or cause grief. And I really don't want to cause grief, I just like to share ideas

Ms. Spy,

POAS! POAS! I mean, POST, POST!

Quote Originally Posted by WillowSpy View Post
    Yeah... I seriously wonder about Yahoo answers at times. Have you guys ever seen the big discussions/arguments in the Religion/Spirituality section? That place has more addicted members than APA! And they're constantly fighting, it's hilarious.

I confess that I've been thinking about something religion/secular related and I'm tempted to post about it once I get my thoughts together but I'm worried it'll be controversial or cause grief. And I really don't want to cause grief, I just like to share ideas
    Ooo, now I'm curious!

Share woman!

If it's too controversial it will be removed anyway, so you don't have to worry too much about long-term consequences.

Haha true. And yea... much good POASing will do me now!

Aight, I'll try to make it coherent. I'm the queen of incoherent rambling. I'll be up soonish.

Yeah! If you do it in a new thread, it will be easier to remove if the going gets tough.

My dh is out of town and I find myself drawn to APA more often as a source of companionship and entertainment. Plus I stay up later so I have more free time without the babies. I need more stuff to look at. The babies just woke up and we're going out after they finish lunch, so save a copy of your post to share with me in case it does get deleted.

Do you feel that there has been too much build-up already and whatever you post is just going to be anti-climactic?

Perfect!

My response was:

Thank you all!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Do you feel that there has been too much build-up already and whatever you post is just going to be anti-climactic?
    Gosh, I hope it's not too dull. I guess, while I don't think it's too out there, I can see how someone who genuinely believes in one of the things I mention might get very upset. But I guess that's sort of the dilemna I arrive at - do we upset people's feelings, or do we let them fall victim to not-so-nice things

My response was:
    And her response was simply:

lol, everyone has their own view on things but at least yours is intelligent and make sense.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

And her response was simply:

lol, everyone has their own view on things but at least yours is intelligent and make sense.
    WOOHOO! Victory

I posted this comment in the Random Confessions thread, but I'm posting it here, too. Argh.

I confess I got really annoyed today at work.

I was working with a student who does not speak and has a tendency to bounce all over the place, much like Tigger. I just got her sitting down and reading a book with me, which was somewhat amazing. My office phone rang, and for some reason I answered it. It was a parent, asking if I was her daughter's speech therapist. I told her I wasn't, and she asked if I could tell her who was. As I started to do so, the student got up and pulled my play dough off the top of the cabinet. She has a tendency to eat it, so I reached out to grab it away from her. In the process, I knocked the phone off the file cabinet.

I picked it up, asking if the woman was still there. She was. I apologized, explaining that I was working with a very challenging student. I began once again to answer her question, and as I did so my student started to open my office door as if to leave. Again I ran to get the door, knocking the phone down and this time disconnecting the cord and inadvertently hanging up on her.

She called back, and like an idiot I answered. She got huffy with me for hanging up on her! I explained what had just happened, told her the name of her daughter's therapist, and she asked me to look up the phone number for her! I asked her if she could please call the front office and have them transfer her. "Oh. Yeah, I guess I could just call the school."

Argh! Seriously ... we have people who are employed to answer phones at schools. Don't call the office of the self-contained special ed staff in the middle of the morning and expect professional customer service!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by WillowSpy View Post
    Kitty, have you had any follow up appointments yet? I just saw a post in one of the DD rooms about a baby's brain cyst that has cleared up on it's own by the 28 wk u/s, and immediately thought about you.
    Not yet. It was supposed to be yesterday, but my doc had to cancel. How dare someone go into labor during MY appointment! JK, of course. My new appt is Wednesday. So I guess we'll see then...

Thank-you for asking!
    "Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

Mandy, you should just turn off the ringer. And that woman should have been ashamed of herself, when you were obviously not able to give her your attention.

Kitty, I hope the waiting game is not as awful as it usually is.

I confess I have spent a lot of time refuting or disagreeing with people today. Only on APA. Actually, I've disagreed with the twins too, but only on stuff like when bedtime should be and whether they get a diaper change.

ETA: I confess I stay up way too late when dh is out of town. He and I are good influences on each other about going to bed on time.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 09-24-2009 at 11:14 PM.