Page 146 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 46961361441451461471481561962466461146 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,380 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    I confess my awesome DH got another raise. I've lost track how many he's actually gotten in the past year. SO proud of him, and I love seeing him proud of himself!
    Awesome for you and your DH!

Ashley - 25, Chris - 27, Elizabeth - 9-22-04, Alexis - 12-19-08

Big big Congrats and Yays to Janeen and Kim!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elmobo-n-lexi View Post

and all at the same time!! OF
    COURSE you had to be up early anyway! Go figure!
    It's like they plan to do that! She only woke up once that night and I had to be up at 6:30
    I confess my awesome DH got another raise. I've lost track how many he's actually gotten in the past year. SO proud of him, and I love seeing him proud of himself!
    DH!!
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

I confess... I am impressed that John Travolta admitted to his son having Autism during the current extortion trial. My heart goes out to him, not only for his loss, but for the sticky situation he's in... I can't imagine what it's like to be a member of a faith that does not allow you to acknowledge your child's medical condition

I confess, how do kids know when you actually have something you want to do during their nap, and they don't fall asleep?

6. Default

I confess I have NO clue what Agatha is talking about with John Travolta.....

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I confess I have NO clue what Agatha is talking about with John Travolta.....
    Oh... he's a Scientologist, and they don't believe that mental/psychological disorders are actual medical problems, but rather a manifestation of some sort of bad energy/allergy/etc. His son Jett was rumored to have suffered from Autism and a seizure disorder (which ultimately caused his death) but the Travolta's have never (until now) acknowledged any of this... in fact they've denied it, tried to blame it on other (non-psychiatric) conditions, etc.

It just makes me so sad when a parent has to choose between their faith and their child... I mean, if my kiddo was autistic, gay, schizophrenic, etc there is no way I'd buy into any faith or theory that made me disown them, consider them as possessed, or deny their illness

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WillowSpy View Post
    Oh... he's a Scientologist, and they don't believe that mental/psychological disorders are actual medical problems, but rather a manifestation of some sort of bad energy/allergy/etc. His son Jett was rumored to have suffered from Autism and a seizure disorder (which ultimately caused his death) but the Travolta's have never (until now) acknowledged any of this... in fact they've denied it, tried to blame it on other (non-psychiatric) conditions, etc.

It just makes me so sad when a parent has to choose between their faith and their child... I mean, if my kiddo was autistic, gay, schizophrenic, etc there is no way I'd buy into any faith or theory that made me disown them, consider them as possessed, or deny their illness
    Eek! I shudder that you coupled homosexuality with illness.

But yeah, that is incredibly sad. Putting faith over your own child's health? I don't see how that's right!

Eek! I shudder that you coupled homosexuality with illness.
    Sigh, I didn't mean that it IS one... but that other faiths treat it as such. Let me rephrase...

I mean, if my kiddo was autistic, or schizophrenic, etc there is no way I'd buy into any faith or theory that made me consider them as possessed, or deny their illness, and if my kiddo was gay, there is no way I would let my faith convince me to disown them.

It was just a broader take on the whole thing - that there are religions out there that take issue with certain illnesses, behaviors, etc and make you choose between your family and "salvation" or the religious community. Like my Jehovah's Witness great aunt who has cut her own child out of her life because he won't convert, or the fact that if my child committed suicide they wouldn't be allowed to be buried next to me in a Catholic cemetery.
    Last edited by WillowSpy; 09-23-2009 at 12:28 PM.

I confess I just wanted to say hey to everybody; I've been lurking lately but too busy BD to post much. LOL. Keep sending the baby sticky dust my way!

I confess I didn't realize that Evie is 7 months today and it totally caught me off guard. It is starting to dawn on me that soon enough she will be one.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    I confess I just wanted to say hey to everybody; I've been lurking lately but too busy BD to post much. LOL. Keep sending the baby sticky dust my way!
    *STICKY* STICKY!!!!!!!!!!

shutterbird Guest

Sigh, I didn't mean that it IS one... but that other faiths treat it as such. Let me rephrase...

I mean, if my kiddo was autistic, or schizophrenic, etc there is no way I'd buy into any faith or theory that made me consider them as possessed, or deny their illness, and if my kiddo was gay, there is no way I would let my faith convince me to disown them.

It was just a broader take on the whole thing - that there are religions out there that take issue with certain illnesses, behaviors, etc and make you choose between your family and "salvation" or the religious community. Like my Jehovah's Witness great aunt who has cut her own child out of her life because he won't convert, or the fact that if my child committed suicide they wouldn't be allowed to be buried next to me in a Catholic cemetery.
    Gotcha! Sorry, I forgot that a lot of religious bigots think homosexuality is an illness.

That's awesome!!!! GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaAnew View Post
    I confess I didn't realize that Evie is 7 months today
    Awww happy 7 month birthday Evie! And I confess that your pregnancy ticker freaked me out for a second!!!

Gotcha! Sorry, I forgot that a lot of religious bigots think homosexuality is an illness.
    Yeah, too true

shutterbird Guest

What are you doing? Get the heck out of here and go BD more!

Good luck hon!!

I confess... I am impressed that John Travolta admitted to his son having Autism during the current extortion trial. My heart goes out to him, not only for his loss, but for the sticky situation he's in... I can't imagine what it's like to be a member of a faith that does not allow you to acknowledge your child's medical condition
    Agatha, do you have a link? I started following this story when his son died.

I had an aunt who was a Christian Scientist (not Scientologist) and died from untreated cancer. Her husband wouldn't let her even go to the doctor until she was in the final stages and we didn't know she was even sick until after she died. It was a huge shock.

Because of my aunt, and because I work with autistic kids, I am really interested in the John Travolta thing.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    Agatha, do you have a link? I started following this story when his son died.

I had an aunt who was a Christian Scientist (not Scientologist) and died from untreated cancer. Her husband wouldn't let her even go to the doctor until she was in the final stages and we didn't know she was even sick until after she died. It was a huge shock.

Because of my aunt, and because I work with autistic kids, I am really interested in the John Travolta thing.
    Yeah, no problem, let me dig it up...

http://www.tmz.com/2009/09/23/john-t...stic-seizures/

Not a website with the best integrity, but they have reporters in the courtroom for this thing so I'm trusting them on this one. Harvey Levin is a crazy man when it comes to stalking the courts.

And about your aunt. That is EXACTLY what I was talking about and it makes me so incredibly sad.

Yeah, no problem, let me dig it up...

http://www.tmz.com/2009/09/23/john-t...stic-seizures/

Not a website with the best integrity, but they have reporters in the courtroom for this thing so I'm trusting them on this one. Harvey Levin is a crazy man when it comes to stalking the courts.

And about your aunt. That is EXACTLY what I was talking about and it makes me so incredibly sad.
    Thanks for the link.

Yeah, it was REALLY hard on my dad when it happened. They had lost touch and I had never realized how close the two of them were when they were younger. I was named after her. He never got to say goodbye.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

shutterbird Guest

I confess that I can't stand DH's family.

I confess that I just heard a swear word from the bathroom, then a sheepish DH called me and asked if I had ever dropped a roll of toilet paper in the toilet. Poor kid. I think he wanted me to fish it out for him...
    Norah! (3 yr)

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    I confess that I just heard a swear word from the bathroom, then a sheepish DH called me and asked if I had ever dropped a roll of toilet paper in the toilet. Poor kid. I think he wanted me to fish it out for him...
    LOL, that is hilarious but it makes me concerned that my 7 year old boy will never outgrow this habit!! He drops a roll of TP in the toilet at least once a month.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    Sorry, that made me laugh!

I confess that the other day I smelled something burning and DH confessed that he accidently set the paper in the bowl on fire.
    "Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Keep up the BD-ing! I can't wait to see your BFP!

Happy 7 months to Evie!

Love the dh-toilet paper stories!

I'm glad John Travolta is not persisting with the Kawasaki disease story.

Kitty, I thought it was very appropriate that you responded in the cat-mouse thread in random. I wish you would have posted in the words of the cat, though. "I like mice!"

I confess dh is gone for more than a week, and I'm scared that I'll get bad news at my first ultrasound and won't have him for support. I'm supposed to text him the results, since he's not going to be available to talk.

I confess that I can't stand DH's family.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I confess dh is gone for more than a week, and I'm scared that I'll get bad news at my first ultrasound and won't have him for support. I'm supposed to text him the results, since he's not going to be available to talk.
    No bad news hun, no bad news! Though I completely understand how you feel... DH was out of town on business during my m/c... I would never wish that on anyone

Keep up the BD-ing! I can't wait to see your BFP!

Happy 7 months to Evie!

Love the dh-toilet paper stories!

I'm glad John Travolta is not persisting with the Kawasaki disease story.

Kitty, I thought it was very appropriate that you responded in the cat-mouse thread in random. I wish you would have posted in the words of the cat, though. "I like mice!"

I thought the second post titled "No Kitty!" was directed at me for a second!

And
    "Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

Kitty, have you had any follow up appointments yet? I just saw a post in one of the DD rooms about a baby's brain cyst that has cleared up on it's own by the 28 wk u/s, and immediately thought about you.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I confess I really think most questions on Yahoo! answers are just written by trolls. I am always astonished when people quote Yahoo! answers as real advice.

I confess I really think most questions on Yahoo! answers are just written by trolls. I am always astonished when people quote Yahoo! answers as real advice.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

I agree!

I finally formulated and posted a response to my SIL's comment on my Fb wall:

Considering this country was founded on prayer and that schools have "gone to hell in a hand basket" since they took prayer out of school, I'd have to disagree. Love ya anyway

My response was:
    1) If anything this country was founded on freedom from religious persecution, so that individuals were and are free to practice the religion of their choice, or none at all. 2) There’s nothing preventing prayer from being in schools now. If you check the law, the only thing not allowed is TEACHER led prayer that is required of all students. Any student is free to pray on their own, or in groups, so long as it is not during class time. If you want the teacher led prayer brought back, be careful what you wish for. If they’re going to require ALL students to, for example, recite the Lord’s Prayer, that means they could also require ALL students to kneel East and pray to Mecca or require ALL students to sing from the Torah. 3) if you think schools have “gone to hell in a hand basket”, maybe it’s because class sizes are getting bigger while teaching staff is stagnant or decreasing, funding for existing and new programs is no longer there, and teaching is no longer respected as it once was – not because teachers aren’t leading prayers during class time. And I love you anyways, too.

Thank you all!

Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008