Page 145 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 45951351431441451461471551952456451145 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,350 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I confess I'm stuck at home again for the next couple days waiting for people! Furniture delivery today and a washer repair tomorrow--I swear I will never order anything from a Sears outlet again. Our washer is leaking.

I confess I'm pissed that nobody showed up for our yard sale! We wanted to sell all of Josh's clothes. I messaged all my local facebook "friends", most of which have little boys younger than Josh. None of them showed up. We made like $30. It was a gorgeous weekend and we wasted it setting up and breaking down the yard sale.

I confess I need to cheer the F up! LOL

Thanks ladies!

Ashley - 25, Chris - 27, Elizabeth - 9-22-04, Alexis - 12-19-08

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I confess I think I'm on a downward spiral again...I'm quicker to get angry, more jaded with life, more sad over little things. I bonked Josh on the head with a softcover book when he picked it up and lost where it was open to. My body aches all the time. I wake up in pain. I told DH this and he told me it's because I need to lose weight and be more active. This may be true but was not comforting. How am I supposed to want to get exercise when it hurts? How am I supposed to stop eating when it tastes so good?

I confess I sometimes want to have another baby simply because it makes me sad that there aren't many activities for kids around here and it makes me sad when we go to farms and playgrounds and I watch Josh play by himself.

I confess I need to stop taking naps, but I always fall asleep when I'm lying with Josh for his nap, and it's so hard to get up.

I confess DH said he'd rather have another baby than a dog and I can't figure out if he might want another baby or if he just really really does not want a dog. LOL

I confess sometimes I read posts at work during my break and mean to come back to them and then I forget. I'm sorry I didn't comment on this earlier, and I'm sorry you're feeling crappy.

Anyway, I don't think it's safe to assume that you're in pain because of excess weight. That's like assuming as you get older you're just naturally going to be in pain all the time. Sometimes it's actually something, like arthritis or fibromyalgia. Whatever the case, I wouldn't just keep living with it. Have you been taking any anti-inflammatories, like Advil or Naproxen? Do they help? I would also make an appointment to see your doctor, and discuss both the pain as well as the irritability and sadness. Maybe you need a little adjustment with medications, and exercise (if you can get the pain under control) will help give you a boost also.

Every once in a great while I can feel a distinct change in my outlook. It's like a switch has been flipped. I can feel it like a specific chemical change has taken place in my brain, and I become sad and (worse) more irritable. I have ended up taking antidepressants for a short while (like 2 months) for a "re-boot" and am back to my normal self for years afterward. If I don't do anything about it, it gets worse and I think it's harder to deal with if I leave it alone for longer.

Good luck! And if you are playing with Josh, and he's also happy playing by himself, I wouldn't think about having another baby to play with him. Think about how much individual attention you can give him now, without being distracted by a baby. You could go to some area playgroups, or hang out in the playground when it's busier and he'll have more opportunity to spend time with other kids. Later on, he'll be in school and have a lot of time to be around others. Now, if you want to have another baby for you, that is something else to consider.

I hope things get better!

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post

Lydia--I didn't want to quote your whole thing but this is in response to you--Thanks for the reply! Don't worry about the baby thing. I don't seriously think about it like that. It's just sort of a little thing like "wouldn't it be nice for him to always have someone else to play with" but I know I could not handle another. I have checked out all the playgroups I can find, except the MOMS which I am still waiting to hear back from. All the playgroups I find are totally defunct. We are out and about early, before most kids are out. We come back to the house around 11 or noon for a nap until 3ish and then it just feels late in the day to do things. When DH starts working later we will probably have to find things to do in the afternoon though.
    He's happy by himself, but sometimes, if we go somewhere where he played with someone before, and there is nobody there that time, he'll say "where are all the kids?" He's just now starting to really interact with the kids he does find, so I want to nurture that. I'll find something. There is a day care setting at the university in town where you can leave your kids and the child psych majors study them. DH says it's free but I have to look into it. That might be fun for him.

I'm also not on meds currently but it may be time to start again. I go through cycles like that too (and I didn't believe it when my therapist warned me of that, but it's happening) I felt very happy a couple months ago. Now I don't even remember how that felt. It's like when I go through the phases, I totally forget how I felt before. I need to make appts. with my OB and therapist again.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBuzzer View Post
    I confess I'm slightly skeeved out to find out my parents recently started going to church on a regular basis. They would never try to force their beliefs on to me or Lucy, but it still makes me kinda uncomfortable.

I find myself having these long conversations in my head with an older Lucy, trying to explain about church and what not.
    I confess, me too. Growing up my grandmother (who raised me) was athiest, and my mother either was too, or possibly believed in god but not church. I don't recall her ever mentioning him one way or the other.

In the last 3-4 years I've now heard my grandmother make god references, and my mother now tells me all the time she'll pray for me, or pray for my friends if I've told about something going on in their lives.

For Gram, I wonder if having a stroke a couple years ago has suddenly made her a believer. For Mother, I wonder if it's a combination of having to be a caregiver for gram, combined with working 20 years with an office full of Jehovah's Witnesses.

It bothers me, it does.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Is it that Robert that everyone is swooning over in those vampire books? LOL

Hey bean!

I confess I am watching WWE wrestling...my guilty pleasure!
    i'm not the only wrestling nut???? i watch 4 days a week....any wrestling that's on....

i confess:

that i keep forgetting about this room....and darnit i like this room....
    i laughed really loudly at lydia's post....that was funny
    i'm running on 4 hours of sleep and can't unwind to get back to bed

This goes back to the middle of last week and deals with my Facebook page and my religious inlaws. I'm doing this gradually for now (as I've not had a chance to sit down and have a conversation about it in depth with Tred yet).

Step 1: One of my pages in the Church of FSM
    No comments so far.
    Step 2: I voted in a poll about putting prayer back in our schools. I voted No.
    My SIL then comments:
    Considering this country was founded on prayer and that schools have "gone to hell in a hand basket" since they took prayer out of school, I'd have to disagree. Love ya anyway
    I confess I can't decide whether to just let if fly, or go comment behind her, or send her an email.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    This goes back to the middle of last week and deals with my Facebook page and my religious inlaws. I'm doing this gradually for now (as I've not had a chance to sit down and have a conversation about it in depth with Tred yet).

No comments so far.
    My SIL then comments:

I confess I can't decide whether to just let if fly, or go comment behind her, or send her an email.
    It may have been founded on prayer but we can't live in the past forever. Times are changing.

I would probably be a smartass and put something along those lines.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Quote Originally Posted by elmobo-n-lexi View Post
    Well, ITA with you on this. I'm over it too....but....the more I see of this, the more I want to say something!

PM?!?!?!
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

all.
    Evie actually slept good last night and the kicker is I had to be up early to do something
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

It wasn't founded on prayer though. Nor on Christian principles. Its hogwash.
    Norah! (3 yr)

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    It wasn't founded on prayer though. Nor on Christian principles. Its hogwash.
    yeah, couldn't you say rather it was founded on the principal of freedom from religious persecution?

ETA: I so want to at my SIL
    Last edited by sunrider; 09-22-2009 at 10:05 AM.

I confess I've fallen behind again!

Happy Birthday Elmobo and what a beautiful post/description

Ashley... How the hell are you already 36 weeks?!?! You were just 20 weeks like.. yesterday. WOW!

Super LOLS to the Grand Canyon link

Hugs to Kate.

And more lols at your SILs comment, Krista. I love how "the good old days" are so ingrained in people. Our schools have gone downhill because we don't pray in school anymore? Really? How about the fact that there's more kids, they're overcrowded, underfunded, teaching is no long as respected as it was, kids are being taught way more... I guess all those factors would be moot if we prayed, though. I really wish every person who wants (Christian) prayer introduced into public school had their child sit through a Muslim prayer or a Buddhist chant at school without prior notification... then we can talk

Quote Originally Posted by WillowSpy View Post

And more lols at your SILs comment, Krista. I love how "the good old days" are so ingrained in people. Our schools have gone downhill because we don't pray in school anymore? Really? How about the fact that there's more kids, they're overcrowded, underfunded, teaching is no long as respected as it was, kids are being taught way more... I guess all those factors would be moot if we prayed, though. I really wish every person who wants (Christian) prayer introduced into public school had their child sit through a Muslim prayer or a Buddhist chant at school without prior notification... then we can talk
    Can I steal that and use that as my own to her?
    Well said!!

I went searching for fodder on this and like this - prayer in school is not outlawed - it just can't be led by a teacher or required of all students.

The principle of separation of church and state affects all government functions, including public schools. In 1948, the U.S. Supreme Court declared that religious instruction in public school was unconstitutional. In 1963, it ruled that mandatory reading of Bible verses or prayers are similarly unconstitutional. However, the same First Amendment guarantees that students may engage in many forms of non-disruptive personal religious expression, including the wearing of religious clothing and jewelry. They can pray (individually or in student-led groups) on the school bus, at the flagpole, before lunch, in the corridors, in the classroom before and after lessons, at sports events, etc. They can talk freely about religion to other students outside of class. They can distribute religious literature. If there are any student-led clubs in the school, they have the right to organize student-led Bible prayer clubs. Teachers are not allowed to teach any religion as truth. However, they can teach about religion, as long as they meet certain requirements. Finally, public schools cannot require students to recite prayers from a specific religion each morning.
    From http://www.religioustolerance.org/ps_pra2.htm

Can I steal that and use that as my own to her?
    Well said!!
    Hahaha, thanks Feel free to steal There's plenty more potential reasons that schools are getting worse, if you want to write her an essay response

And yea, I think the "big no-no" in the whole prayer/religion in schools debate is a teacher leading a prayer in front of a class, especially if children are not allowed to opt out... which, when dealing with the younger ages, is a tricky thing.

No comments so far.
    My SIL then comments:

I'd comment right behind her! Something smart arse. I hate people who do that!! It might make me delete her over that!

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaAnew View Post
    all.
    Evie actually slept good last night and the kicker is I had to be up early to do something
    and all at the same time!! OF
    COURSE you had to be up early anyway! Go figure!

Even if they CAN opt out, its still totally inappropriate. Say you're the ONLY non-believer kid (or, kid of non-believing parents) in a class of 30 + teacher? What are you going to say? What are you going to do? And you're say, 8 years old?
    Norah! (3 yr)

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    Even if they CAN opt out, its still totally inappropriate. Say you're the ONLY non-believer kid (or, kid of non-believing parents) in a class of 30 + teacher? What are you going to say? What are you going to do? And you're say, 8 years old?
    Yup! Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by elmobo-n-lexi View Post
    I'd comment right behind her! Something smart arse. I hate people who do that!! It might make me delete her over that!

I would comment too and would consider deleting herbut probably wouldn't. I have one really ultra right leaning Christian coalition conservative FB friend that I keep around.

But really I'd just say that this country was first settled because of money. Money and wealth and greed have pretty much driven all aspects of the founding of the USA. The first settlers weren't pilgrims, which most people seem not to recognize because of the whole Thanksgiving thing. The Jamestown settlement was a business deal to make money like all the subsequent settlements as well. Though the majority of those people were religious they were looking to make some money and get some land.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    But really I'd just say that this country was first settled because of money. Money and wealth and greed have pretty much driven all aspects of the founding of the USA. The first settlers weren't pilgrims, which most people seem not to recognize because of the whole Thanksgiving thing. The Jamestown settlement was a business deal to make money like all the subsequent settlements as well. Though the majority of those people were religious they were looking to make some money and get some land.

Erin
    Yup! Although freedom from persecution was also a factor, money was the main one.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I confess that even though the whole mobile home thing didn't work out, I don't care!!!!

I confess that we found a gorgeous two story, 3 bedroom/2.5 bath townhouse to rent and we LOVE IT! It's only three years old, everything in it is so fresh and new. It has an open layout on the bottom and it feels so big! Yay! We are picking up the keys on Thursday and beginning the moving process this weekend. Sweet!!!
    Last edited by Janeen; 09-22-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    I confess that even though the whole mobile home thing didn't work out, I don't care!!!!

I confess that we found a gorgeous two story, 3 bedroom/2.5 bath townhouse to rent and we LOVE IT! It's only three years old, everything in it is so fresh and new. It has an open layout on the bottom and it feels so big! Yay! We are picking up the keys on Thursday and beginning the moving process this weekend. Sweet!!!

Sounds incredible! Good luck!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

shutterbird Guest

That's fantastic news! I hope your move goes smoothly!

shutterbird Guest

I confess my awesome DH got another raise. I've lost track how many he's actually gotten in the past year. SO proud of him, and I love seeing him proud of himself!

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    I confess my awesome DH got another raise. I've lost track how many he's actually gotten in the past year. SO proud of him, and I love seeing him proud of himself!
    Awesome!

That is so cool!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    Congrats to your dh! It is so nice to have a fulfilled and recognized partner.

YAY JANEEN!!!!! That's even better!! Congrats to you and your DH!!! WOOOHOOOOO